PDA

View Full Version : nausea and slight sickly feeling

speedbird350
13th Mar 2008, 20:36
Hi,

I have just started PPL flight training in the UK. I've had 3 lesssons so far, but in the last 2 lessons I have experienced feelings of nausea and slight sickness. I must admit, the weather has been quite rough so I am not sure if this has contributed, but I wanted to know if any one else has experienced these symptoms when starting off their training?? Is the bumpy weather causing this? Is it just an initial feeling and these symptoms will eventually go away?

I'm 30 and keep active.

Thanks
Karan

coodem
13th Mar 2008, 20:45
Most people will get used to it after a while, also remember you are most likely concentrating a lot and probably focusing on instruments, which does not help. Remember you are flying VFR, try to focus outside most of the time. Don't get fixated on the DI, VSI, Alt, ASI or anything else inside, your primary concern should be looking out

cats_five
13th Mar 2008, 21:26
Flying on an empty stomach won't help - neither probably will flying straight after a heavy meal. Stress and tension can cause sick feelings as well! It will probably improve as you get used to the sensations and probably also as you start to relax a bit more.

assymetricdrift
13th Mar 2008, 21:50
Hi there,

Do not worry about it too much at all.

I had a PPL with around 100 hours before I even started my commercial training. However, when I started it out in America, I was feeling ill for the first few flights. In fact, sometimes it does come back to haunt me - during a flight test in America, I actually was ill due to the motions - but at the same time, with familiarity, it does reduce greatly.

I brought myself wristbands and also tried all sorts of ginger derivatives, and even chewed gum while flying in order to combat it. However, nothing can quite compare to (and I promise this does work, not only for me, but for many other guys too!), sucking on a polo. It worked amazingly well for me and another guy I know who used to get very ill during the unusual attitude training for the IR!. So give that a go. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But I would certainly recommend the wristbands.

Above all else though, familiarity is the key. Going up in rough days, regularly, will really help you to get the feel of what the aircraft does and after a while, you'll be able to block out the senses quite well.

And never give up or feel down about it. I know many guys who have felt the same, and been through the same, all of whom now fly successfully for the airlines.

99jolegg
14th Mar 2008, 09:08
I did an intensive course in Florida, flying for a minimum of 2 hours every day. Early afternoon on the coast is horrific for turbulence. The altimeter can't work out if it's coming or going. I felt quite queasy in the second hour of traffic patterns, going through the same rough turbulence over and over.

It got better towards the end.

mackey
14th Mar 2008, 09:54
Keep yourself hydrated as being de-hydrated can also cause nausea and sicky feeling (been there, PPL, thrown up:yuk:, instructor not happy:mad:!!). Getting used to the new sensations of flying can be very weird.

You maybe getting anxious or nervous about your next flight, make sure you are well prepared for each lesson as doing this I found helped and also you have to get used to your spatial awareness, which can also be very odd, when you are in the air, .

Assymetricdrift has a few good ideas to combat this feeling, the mints helped me and I still chew on them now I fly commercially.

I'm 38 and not that active!!
Hope this helps.
M.

will fly for food 06
14th Mar 2008, 10:01
Dont worry about it. I felt airsick throughout my military career. It would go away once I had flown the aircraft for a few weeks. Some people did need to go on the airsick course but most are ok. We used to be given Kwells which can be pick up from Boots over the counter. We were not allowed to take them when flying solo.
Other ways you can use to improve how you feel. Make sure you are well hydrated before flying. As other people have suggested never go flying on an empty stomach. Wear loose clothing and make sure you have one of the cold air vents pointing at or near your face. The main thing is to make sure your instructor is aware of it. He or she can then help you by getting you close to the point you feel ill then allow you to fly the aircraft until you are better. The main thing is to get close to being sick but not actually being sick. Over time this will remove your airsickness. After a few more trips your brain will be concentrating on other things and you wont even think about feeling :yuk: anymore.
Good luck with the flying.

jayteeto
14th Mar 2008, 10:15
I have been flying for 20 years and have thousands of hours. If I have a couple of weeks off work, I usually feel queasy for the first few flights back. You normally adapt quite quickly if your flights are not too far apart.

WALSue
15th Mar 2008, 08:41
Do feel a bit funny at times. I find make sure your not too hot in the plane and have a couple of mints before (maybe even during) your flight.
I'm sure its just me being a bit weird but I always feel worse the calmer the day is!

CY333
15th Mar 2008, 15:23
Took me a whole month to feel ok.
Now i am just fine.
try to relax and dont let it stress you before a flight