PDA

View Full Version : Latest on S.A. "Mercenary Act"

solomonsface
13th Mar 2008, 19:22
I was wondering if anybody has any more information on the South African government's recently passed "Mercenary law". As I understand it, it would have a very detrimental affect on all the South african companies doing such good work in "war zones".

I have heard that the law was passed, and then all seemed quiet, so I assumed that the S.A. Govt had realised how much foreign currency they would lose if they banned all the various companies from working in areas deemed "areas of conflict".

The latest I have heard is that the law has yet to be implemented, but that it will be within the course of this year....and when that happens, I wonder what the effects will be.

I know that this was a hot topic a year or so ago, but haven't heard much since...but isn't it time we all found out how this will affect us ? Any info would be much appreciated.

ARENDIII
14th Mar 2008, 10:30
Hello, I can put you in contact with someone who will have the latest gen but it will take 3 weeks as we are presently in a place where the internet has a very limited capability.When I get home will PM you.Fly safely,ArendIII.

solomonsface
14th Mar 2008, 12:06
Thanks very much, i would really appreciate that. best regards

Contract Dog
14th Mar 2008, 13:35
This is something I have given some thought to as well. I would also like to hear the outcome, could you please post it here so we can all see?

Thanks

Dog

AAL
14th Mar 2008, 15:49
"The latest I have heard is that the law has yet to be implemented, but that it will be within the course of this year....and when that happens, I wonder what the effects will be"

Solomonsface, It has been signed into law.

Think your words are prophetic. Rumour is that the law will be tested very soon.

ARENDIII
9th May 2008, 18:03
Busy getting the latest gen-will post as soon as it is available.

springbok aac
13th May 2008, 15:16
The South African Government has confirmed that the law has not yet come into force. They estimate that the drafting of the regulations relating to the Act will be finalised towards the end of 2008 and upon completion the President will announce the date when the Act come into operation in the SA Government Gazette. It is only at that point the Act becomes effective.

Hope that this will help you in your matter.

cavortingcheetah
14th May 2008, 14:07
:hmm:

Is it all to be really worried at?
Meteoric Tactical and Erinys seemed to have little if any problem with The Regulation of Foreign Military Assistance Act, which has been in force now for some years. Not entirely pertinent perhaps, as that legislation really only relates to SA citizens engaged in direct participation as a combatant in armed conflict for personal gain. However, if one remembers correctly, driven deep into the wording of the proposed new legislation, is a clause to the effect that contravention of the Act can lead to a removal of SA citizenship. If that is the case, it would be far easier for the SA Government to remove the citizenship of a naturalised person than a native born one. This, one suspects, should be the major cause for concern for some as it may be something that would only be discovered at the next application for a new passport. It seems pretty obvious that once a passport has been denied, it could be very hard, especially for a naturalised person, to acquire a legitimate one again. Loss of citizenship could therefore be, perhaps humourously and ironically, given the modus operandi of many mercenaries, relatively painless but sadistically satisfying to some.:eek:

CuitoCuanavale
16th May 2008, 08:19
This has been a long time coming and is expected. The Military Assistance Act has been not only changed several times, but interpreted (incorrectly) in several cases, such that it plaudits the plaintiff

It pertains to active involvement in baring arms for remuneration. Embarking on standard international contracts, such as many South Africans do, has been carefully excluded, as money coming into SA via contracts of a ‘mercenary nature’ has left paper trails that in some cases, have resulted in embarrassment.

The beaurocrats will talk of improper representation of the Country and possibly even go so far as to embrace violations of human rights by any such contract.

The reality of it is somewhat different. This is a nagging issue that precedes ’94 and unfolds to one simple point. South African ‘mercenaries’ are extremely effective. They are highly disciplined and most, if not all, are battle hardened,…..especially from the pre ’94 era. Even then, several African and International leaders screamed ‘foul’ when ex-SADF members were identified as being part of what is termed a ‘mercenary’ unit. The reason they objected so vociferously?.......look at what they accomplished in a blink of an eye in Sierra Leone. Something that the UN, to this day for all intents and purposes, it is still unable to achieve. (Irrespective of what you might hear or read)

Indonesia and Angola are but a few other examples.

I have great empathy for these men/women, as for most, it is all they really know. As with most of us who solicit our skills/trade abroad, so are these folk.

I have a COIN trained friend who has secured a job in Iraq with one of the private contractors, and despite the so-called revised ‘advisory’ clause that will surely attach itself to this bill, this poor chap is now possibly facing deportation back home.

The UN, for all its good intent, has through pressure quite possibly resulted in many highly skilled and disciplined men&women being forced into unemployment, extremely low paying security jobs or even worse, crime.

The architects of this bill/motion will I think come to regret their decision at some stage down the road.