PDA

View Full Version : Bush Camp Entertainment

SASless
12th Mar 2008, 19:48
A great number of us find or have found ourselves spending way too much time way out in the middle of no where for extended periods of time in very spartan conditions. At each place we find a method of whiling away those off duty hours.

I have seen homemade hot tubs, folk singing about the fire, bag pipes squalling in the dark, home made hot air balloons, and even discovered the joys of combat Uckers (natural cheater here I guess although not a golfer...) as ways of relieving the boredom.

Any nominations for the most unique recreational outlet extant?

Now by Bush Camp....we don't mean a bunch of porta-cabins and a four wheel drive vehicle into town at night. Let's talk tents, sleeping bags, and places where the road ends plus a bit.

ShyTorque
12th Mar 2008, 19:53
Bush Camp? I thought the President would come out of the closet sooner or later... :)

Foggy Bottom
12th Mar 2008, 22:35
I too have suffered the sounds of 3 cats tied together in a sack at 2 am. (I just don't get bagpipes as music)

Whats fun is scrabble for 3. Its more interesting when none of the 3 share a common language, so usage and spelling get pretty wild. I saw one hell of fight break out over the word weft.

skidbiter2
12th Mar 2008, 23:18
Apart from the introduction of sat internet and a laptop, the camp skidoo's are great fun and time wasters at this camp, and a fly swatter will keep you busy 24 hours in a few months!

Jim Dean
13th Mar 2008, 04:18
Thinking of fly swats. I had a great little present this christmas which is a swatter gun. A small, plastic, spring operated gun with a flat plastic swatter style (perforated soft plasic) disc that you can fire at flies. The disc is attached with a piece of string for easy retrieval. Effective range is only about 75cm. Take the string off though and kids/cat etc are good targets!
I think it came from a $2 shop or something like that. Cheap but effective, doesn't take up much room in a bag for camp and is a game and practical.

Hidden Agenda
13th Mar 2008, 04:44
I lived in one seismic tented camp where the evening’s entertainment included watching our team's American members feeding the camp’s pet donkey a diet of really hot jalapenos and lighted Marlborough cigarettes.

For me the amazing thing was that the donkey kept coming back for more!

Maybe it was in ass not a donkey?

Agaricus bisporus
13th Mar 2008, 11:48
Uckers, beer and local food!

leee
13th Mar 2008, 16:07
I was in a camp in north alberta where the guys had taken a kiddies snow trike (two skids at the back, one at the front for steering and a long seat kinda thing) and screwed it to a big sheet of plastic.
Then they took it to one of the large water pits ( i forget the correct name for them,but its a huge hole where they dug out earth to level the rest of the area that then fills with rain water) and towed it from one end to the other behind a quad, seeing how long the person riding the trike could stay on it, like water skiing with no skill required . hours of fun for the whole family!!!:D

minigundiplomat
13th Mar 2008, 23:40
I find it amazing what you can construct a Mess Cannon from whilst bored.....

stacey_s
14th Mar 2008, 17:30
Sasless
Ok, bush camps rules out Eket! however I remeber playingt Croquet with martin Bull on an old tabacco platation in the UAE by flood light, being allowed to"Tee off" from the top of a heiniken can was one of the strange rules, playing Drafts with "the Glove" where the pieces were oil drums Alan sat a stool on top of a pyramid of three drums while I sat on top of the wall of Fujirah's only motel at the time, all was well until the two poor refuellers, who had to move the pieces, had to lift two drums together(Kings), and they were probaly the smallest chaps the Sub continent ever produced!!, and then there was water polo without the horses but with the sticks! ouch that hurt!! in the motel pool, and as for Eket well it wasnt a bush camp but I sure you will remeber some of the daft things we did there, including running what was basicaly a brothel!!.

Stace

stacey_s
14th Mar 2008, 17:38
Oh, I forgot, feeding Carbide to the vultures and waiting to see if they would explode, most didnt just farted and flew away!!, and rigging the garden with homemade explosives on Guy Fawlkes night, and being told by a couple of ex "Vietnam boys" you wont get us!! DID

SASless
14th Mar 2008, 17:47
Stacey,

I deny any knowledge or, or any participation in such conduct you mention.

That is my story and I am sticking to it!

As you well remember, I was engaged in healthy pursuits like dirt bike riding and touring about the place in a VW Beetle. I will have to admit when Hypen-Smyth came to me to announce his firm belief that I was crazy for engaging in such doings...well it did make me pause for thought. Considering the source of that comment....whew!

As to the bordello business...I hasten to mention the very first time I got to see the "Wizard of Oz" from start to finish was at that fine establishment. I would suggest that mitigates such base criticism of the place.

Martin was one of the hot air ballooners at Papa Charlie....he couldn't build a diesel stove for nothing but his balloons were cutting edge for that locale.

The old Eket bar.....the floor covered in broken glass...beer spilled about the place...a Greenie wearing a condom on his head....a former Bootneck going around kissing the men folk....ah, such a staid dreary place!

The only thing missing was the parrot squawking "Murdoch's a ******!"

LZCUTTER
28th Mar 2008, 09:18
Many years ago, while spending a few happy weeks camping in the Ulu in Brunei, one happy soul thought it would be fun to sneak around at night and cut the paracord on guys A-frames while they where sleeping.You have to see and hear the results to believe them !
This led to the invention of many intesting little booby traps to catch the offender, to this day no one has ever owned up to being the phantom cutter.

parabellum
28th Mar 2008, 10:33
Probably one of the 'staff' LZCUTTER?

Heli-kiwi
28th Mar 2008, 20:21
Stacey s,
I wanna see this water polo played WITH the horses.....
I've had moments of boredom but was given an electric battery operated flyswat, The competition is in the sound. The louder the crack the better and it seems that mosquitos can create the biggest spark and the loudest crack by far. Just like the fish and chip shop Zapper..

Gordy
29th Mar 2008, 00:08
Go-cart races---helitack vs hotshots

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/zCherokee.jpg

LZCUTTER
29th Mar 2008, 11:32
Maybe Parabellum, but he did the SSM as well, thats what made me think it was not the DS.
We did not get a visit in my little corner, but that maybe was because at the time I was LS and carried a Wingmaster, at the schoolhouse I said very loudly that anyone moving around our basher area at night would get some 9shot!perhaps that put them off?:confused:

Backward Blade
29th Mar 2008, 14:33
Spent alot of my time in Tents and whatnot with and without generators in Northern Alberta/Saskatchewan Canada.

-Cutting down sapplings with a shotgun
-chasing wayward bears with a bambi bucket
-building a raft out of fuel barrels with string and Zap Straps and wood cut with a chainsaw...then rescuing engineer at end of a day of flight cause the wind blew him the wrong way LOL Hell, a happy engineer makes for a happy pilot after all. Had to long line that boat back to base a few times.
-flying around looking for the best fishing spots
-Teaching a city bound engineer how to light a fire in a tent stove without too much GAS!!! A quick but steep learning curve that!

I have pictures/film for all but having a hard time attaching/ adding. As always I guess you had to be there

Fly safe all

BWB

Codger
31st Mar 2008, 20:17
Fishing for seagulls. No hook, just tied the end of the line around a piece of sardine. Drag off on the reel. Gull, chomps down on the fish and takes off a hundred feet or until you hit the drag. They'd never cough up the bait while in the air. Bring em back down to earth and they'd cough up the bait and leave. Not as good as fishing for bass, but the sound effects were amusing.

Using rock screen, couple of ballasts from (spare) fluorescent fixtures back at base and the power off a genset and spare starter batteries to build the biggest deadliest Bug Zapper known to mankind. Worked well and there'd be an evening or three where the risks of being sucked dry by the mosquitoes was substantially reduced. Nice little sparky lightshow.

andTompkins
31st Mar 2008, 21:53
I know some of you Vets know how to make stuff go boom in a fun, non-malicious / non-terrorist sort of way. Anyone got suggestions?

We like to drive a wooden stake in the ground, wrap a rag soaked in diesel around it, light it off, and stack small liquid propane cylinders (used to fuel a camp stove) around said flaming stake. 50-m with a .22-cal rifle makes for great fun as the round punctures the bottle and the escaping propane ignites off the flaming stake. They don't explode, but the ensuing fireball or streak of fire as they launch is fun.

SASless
1st Apr 2008, 02:23
One can levitate ducks when you toss a frag grenade into the firewater tank!

Mind you the Boss Fellah gets a bit animated when you do.

Ainippe
1st Nov 2010, 12:19
I remember in Iran(circa 1977 SEIS 4)) watching the german siemologists place a 45 gall drum on rocks, insert some cleverly placed explosive caps inbetween the said rocks. Then one seismologist would climb in the drum whilst the others blew the rocks away with using the caps. I did see the drum get blown over several times - I can say I wasnt tempted to get in the drum. Needless to say this was always done after the odd beer or two ! :)