PDA

View Full Version : Don't sell the books!!!!

Bearing 123
12th Mar 2008, 09:19
Just a quick note of advice to all the folks training and to all those who are newly qualified.

DON'T sell your books when you have passed all of the exams because you will regret it. It's just my opinion, but you will at regular intervals have to revert back to them for various information.
People will tell you that when you're going for an interview, all you need is a copy of one of the numerous books on offer about "How to pass" Don't rely on this info alone as there are big errors in some of these books and I have on numerous occasions had to check back with the original manuals to get the correct answer.
Also from an operational point of view, you will forget stuff about performance, Met, etc and you will be very glad to have some reference material to fall back on.

Like I say, its just my opinion but, I got some sound advice when I was coming through and hopefully this will help some of you in your future careers.

Good Luck:ok:

LFS
12th Mar 2008, 10:05
Totally agree. It can be tempting to flog them off as soon as the exams are finished for a bit of quick cash. As an instructor they are an invaluable refrence tool, there is always something to brush up on. Plus they will come in very useful when you are preparing for an interview.

potkettleblack
12th Mar 2008, 14:28
Concur with the above. Best thing I did was to keep them. Although most are now boxed away in storage I have used MET, Systems and Performance books quite a bit since the initial training.

Mercenary Pilot
12th Mar 2008, 14:52
I've kept mine up until now but they will be getting thrown out soon when I move house. As good as they are, they are very tatty, covered in writing and some of the info is more relevant to the exams than real world operations.

However, replacing them with decent books has cost me a small fortune. Most good aviation books cost upwards of £40-50 :ouch: Ouch! Should have looked after those study guides better!

EK4457
13th Mar 2008, 10:47
Of course, one might photocopy the notes for a very small cost and then sell them.

Disclaimer: I'm not recommending that anyone does this as it could infringe the copyright protection and is probably illegal, blah, blah, blah...

EK

captain_rossco
13th Mar 2008, 11:01
For Sale

13 Oxford Aviation Manuals

Brand New and unused (I used the feedback Q's on Bristol)

Some have occasional Arbitrary highlighting and jibberish annotations, made when staff were watching and it was neccassary to look busy.

Regards

CR

;)

tom_ace
13th Mar 2008, 11:50
......Sold!

jiffajaffa
13th Mar 2008, 11:55
The one book that brings it all together

Ace Technical Pilot Interview by Gary Bristow

Excellent reading for anyone going for an airline assesment, saves you trodding through the ATPL books and covers everything and a great reference book also!

However I still have the ATPL books stored away for a rainy day!

;)

EK4457
13th Mar 2008, 12:48
Is that the one with loads of errors in it?!

EK

Mercenary Pilot
13th Mar 2008, 12:53
Is that the one with loads of errors in it?!

Yup, its okay to give you an idea of what sort of questions will be asked but if you use it as a stand alone for interviews I think you will come unstuck. It's a a great book to accompany the ATPL studies though. Some nice simple explanations in there.

Bearing 123
13th Mar 2008, 13:31
Some very blatant errors in that book. Don't rely on it alone or you will come unstuck.
It is good as previously stated for giving you a feel for the type of questions asked at interview.

ariel
13th Mar 2008, 15:22
Captain Rossco

Do you mean that you didn't bother looking at any manuals at all, (properly), and relied soley on the BGS question bank to get through?!

Be interesting to know..

EK4457
13th Mar 2008, 15:30
It has been done before...

jiffajaffa
13th Mar 2008, 16:22
it will come back to bite you in the arse :ouch:

mackey
13th Mar 2008, 19:41
There will be a ceremonial burning coming soon for these :mad: books. I am sure they are written by the devil himself. So I am sending them back to hell from whenst they came!!:E

dontpressthat
13th Mar 2008, 20:03
Passing the ATPL's using just the feedback Q's...

Not really the point of the exercise and I would suggest, irresponsible.

DPT

Head down for incoming!!

Bearing 123
13th Mar 2008, 22:36
It would be really interesting to have Captain Rosco in front of the interview panel at my company. Relying solely on feed back questions and answers will get him/her a very early exit.
Passing the exams is one thing, retaining enough knowledge to make you a decent operational pilot is a completely different issue. :ugh:

acuba 290
14th Mar 2008, 01:42
are there any examples of errors in Gary Bristow book? what page? where?

captain_rossco
14th Mar 2008, 16:52
As per usual, the PPrune sense of sarcasm has been lost on several of the persons above, and as per usual as simple joke has been construed as gospel.

Having spent the last 6 months at a certain Oxfordshire based training establishment, and having worked every hour God sent, I'd suggest that I was just about conversive with the syllabus and would not reccommend (for those without any sense of humour) learning the question bank.

Regards

CR

jb2_86_uk
15th Mar 2008, 09:53
Where might a budding young aviator such as myself purchase such reference material?

I am due to start with Cabair in July and would love to get a bit of a leg-up on the studying. Even if it is just to put my mind at rest, but I am worried (im sure it is just paranoia) that I will turn up to the first days lecture and just be like wtf!? Plus with past experiences I am an unorganized :mad: and will keep forgetting to buy the books once I am in cranfield and actually needing them!

If anyone could point me to a good website, or give me some specific titles to find for myself I would appreciate it!

All the best

JB

Wilton Shagpile
15th Mar 2008, 10:55
Agreed...hang on to them. I still have all my old binders and they take up quite a bit of space but I wouldn't part with them. I still refer back to them now and again and even though you do get lots of good information in the Bristow book etc. you can't beat the detailed notes with your old hand written scribbles etc.

I found in particular that all the JAR OPS stuff you learn (which at that point is just a load of mind numbing numbers and bits of info) becomes incredibly important when you're on line, although to be fair you can get JAR OPS 1 off the JAA home page if (like me) you're a bit sad.

Lafyar Cokov
15th Mar 2008, 10:59
are there any examples of errors in Gary Bristow book? what page? where?

The Lift equation on page 2 Lift= CL + 1/2 + Rho + V2 + S was a clue!!!

Try here - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=312493

Lazy Gun
18th Mar 2008, 16:46
Don't sell the books!!!!

Bugger, there goes my ideas for that nice bonfire I planned.

Agreed (grudgingly). :}

LG