PDA

View Full Version : Oaa Assessment Maths Test

sheenaroe
11th Mar 2008, 12:16
Could anyone give me an example of the more difficult maths question in the compass tests?

WISH2FLY
11th Mar 2008, 12:46
The maths is not particularly taxing...just make sure you know

Long multiplication and division
Basic algebra
Trig
Fractions

All basic GCSE stuff, nothing to worry about! Might be worth doing a search as this has been covered before! Or visit the oxford forum which can be reached via their website.

Good luck! :ok:

Gentle Climb
11th Mar 2008, 12:59
I hadn't done basic maths for a good many years and was a little apprehensive about the maths and physics tests. I purchased the OAT dvd's and sailed through both.

preduk
11th Mar 2008, 13:10
Try:

http://www.cabair.com/integrated/mathematics_paper/Mathematics.htm

It's Cabair, but the questions will be similar.

Adios
11th Mar 2008, 21:38
Sheena,

It seems like I recall you posting recently that you were retaking OAT's assessment about a month ago. Have you already taken it twice?

It seems to me what you need to learn is maths, not what questions might be on the test. Take a look at www.speed-math.com because there's no substitute for being good at it.

sheenaroe
12th Mar 2008, 14:56
yeah ure rite i have taken it. i scored 5 outa 7 in maths but looking to pull it up til 7. ive been giving the opportunity just to retake compass now next month as i missed it by 2 marks! and from the last time i had done it i dropped a mark in memory and a mark in slalom so if i hadnt a droped them 2 marks id a passed. so this is the reason ive been allowed to retake for a 3rd time. doesnt happen to often but they must see potential in me. my maths was one of my stronger points and i passsed the physics it was orientation that let me down and am not sure why as i understood how to use the dials properly and had done lots of revision for dat test. so am studying that also but i kno if i did a bita work i cud get my maths up 2 full marks. this is the reason i posted my question. i remember a question if aircraft a took of at 10am flying at 170 knots and b took of at 10.45am flying at 230 knots when wud they meet and how far wud they have travelled? if my memory serves me right the last 5 or so where the hard questions.

dhc1180
16th Mar 2008, 18:31
what was the awnser to that question?

Adios
16th Mar 2008, 20:28
Good luck next time.

Ouseburn
15th Jul 2008, 20:42
are the maths & physics tests still multiple choice?

igarratt
16th Jul 2008, 09:14
http://www.cabair.com/integrated/mat...athematics.htm (http://www.cabair.com/integrated/mathematics_paper/Mathematics.htm)
rats !!!!

scored 4 on maths and physic, :ugh: least there wasn't an English one lol

hmm maybe cpl is out of my reach after all, but for the moment I'm quite happy bobbing around in my pa28 lol :ok:

hetero
16th Jul 2008, 09:44
Any good sites where can practice spatial(space) perceive, goz iīv heard that they are testing that in psyg.test.

Thanks

4KBeta
17th Jul 2008, 08:37
Maths is not multichoice, only Physics is multichoice.

There is no trig in the OAT maths test, confirmed by many people in the past, it is actually Pythagoras.

I had - long division, long addition / subtraction, long multiplication, interpreting data from graphs and tables (not as easy as you think believe it or not) S/D/T questions (similar to the one above) & pythagoras that's about all I can remember,

I would speed up on doing the simple things so that time isnt wasted having to write your workings.

One question, if you scored 5/7 , why are you re-sitting it? If your accepted on the course, why bother going for a 7?

Surely if you got a 5 on all the tests you would make the required mark? I would work on the RBI dials as you said, very simple once you get your head around it. I believe the biggest help I had was that the arrow is always pointing towards the beacon I believe.

Persephone
17th Jul 2008, 08:57
I'll write up the entire equation later.

But they will meet at 12.52.5pm exactly and will have travelled 488.75 miles. :8

Ouseburn
17th Jul 2008, 09:28
Surely the knots will have to be converted to mph?

roll_over
17th Jul 2008, 09:29
Yep I got that answer as well

One questions, are the numbers they give you particularly nice, I mean do some of the answers end up in horrible decimals or just 0.2/0.25 etc?

Thanks

4KBeta
17th Jul 2008, 09:49
Oops I accidentally added the time to 1000hrs instead of 1045hrs, as I said it was roughly right though which I am pleased about, removed my answer to avoid confusement, can post up again if required.

The answer is roughly around the answer above. I worked it out as 12:51ish & 483ish miles. I'd be interested to see your workings, as they are roughly the same it appears, seeing as you put exactly :p

To note: I doubt your find anything in the OAT assesment that will generate something with such high decimal places as above.

The question I had was, A plane travels 2000 miles in 2 1/2 hours, how fast is this plane going?

Persephone
17th Jul 2008, 12:04
S=Distance
V=Speed
T=Time
d = Delta
. = Multiply

Your looking for Speed and distance covered.

You have V1/2 & T1/2

V1 = S1 V2 = S2
---- ----
T1 T2

T2 = T1 – dT (Delta Time = 45 mins)

S1 = S2

V1 = S1 V2 = S1
---- -------------
T1 T1 – dT

S1 = V1 . T1 S1 = V2 (T1 – dT)

V1 . Tn = V2 . T1 – V2 . dT

V1 T 1 – V2 T 1 = - V2 dT

Tn (V1 – V2) = - V2 dT

T1 = - V2 . dT -230.075 172.5
---------- ------------ -------
V1 – V2 170 – 230 60 = 2.875

= 2 h 52.5 min

10 AM + 2 h 52.5 mins = 12.52.5pm

V1 . T1 170 X 2.875 = 488.75 nm

QED Time they meet 12.52.5pm and Distance they have travelled is 488.75nm exactly.:8
I should have said nautical miles in my original posting.

It took me a while to type this out as I worked it out on paper. I also used a calculator, for shame, for shame.

Persephone
17th Jul 2008, 12:10
A plane travels 2000 miles in 2 1/2 hours, how fast is this plane going?

_____

QED = 800 nmph

4KBeta
17th Jul 2008, 13:14
Sorry I wasn't asking that as a question, I meant that was one of the questions :)

I must say that is a scary way of working that out, mind commenting each line to say what your doing , might help myself and others lol.

I think I prefer my way :P

Persephone
17th Jul 2008, 13:52
Sorry, I thought it was self explanatory. :}
Do I mind commenting :confused: This could take some time to type out line by line.
(Sub in the values if you want to work out my method)

Why is it scary?
I suppose each to his/her own method :ok:
Could you also show me your method of calculation? Thanks.

Ouseburn
17th Jul 2008, 16:10
If aircraft A took of at 10am flying at 170 mph and aircraft B took of at 10.45am flying at 230 mph. When would they meet and how far would they have travelled?

Va (Speed of Aircraft A) = 170 mph
Vb (Speed of Aircraft B) = 230 mph
Departure time of A: 10:00
Departure time of A: 10:45
45 minutes = 0.75 hours

After 45 minutes Distance travelled by Aircraft A: D = Va x 45 minutes = 170 x 0.75 = 127.5 miles

Now calculate relative speed of aircraft B: V = Vb - Va = 230 - 170 = 60 mph

Now calculate time taken for Aircraft B to catch up. ie time taken for Aircraft B to travel 127.5 miles at 60 mph: T = 127.5 / 60 = 2.125 hours

Now calculate total distance Aircraft A has travelled: Da = 170 x 2.875 (2.125 + 0.75) = 488.75 miles

Total distance Aircraft B has travelled: Db = 230 x 2.125 = 488.75 miles

Therefore, total distance both aircraft have now travelled: 488.75 + 488.75 = 977.5 miles

Time taken to meet: T = Db / Vb = 488.75 / 230 = 2.125 hours after Aircraft B departs.
This is equivalent of 127.5 minutes (2.125 x 60). So 10:45 + 127.5 minutes = 12:52:30 (12:52pm and 30 seconds).
Or
T = Da / Va = 488.75 / 170 = 2.875 hours after Aircraft A departs. 10:00 + 172.5 = 12:52:30

roll_over
18th Jul 2008, 13:08
Are the oxford cds any good? Do they have lots of practice questions or are they just GCSE recaps?

Ouseburn
18th Jul 2008, 18:02
The CDs cover all the maths GCSE syllabus and contain quite a large question bank.

nickyjsmith
18th Jul 2008, 22:21
The idea of the test is speed and accuracy, aircraft A has 3/4 of an hour head start at 170, so 170x 3/4=127.5
The time for B to catch up is this distance divided by the difference in speeds. 127.5/60=2.125 hours.
The rest should be easy,Ouesburns total distances are wrong though.
They are trying to see if you can work things out quickly, imagine if you were in the air trying to do it the long way, there isn't time.
By the way i'm an old ghit (yes,42!) and i passed OAT last year and i only have 7 O levels and an HNC, no degree. I also worried about the test's, did some revision using some gcse books and passed physics and maths with 100%.

All the best.

Ouseburn
18th Jul 2008, 22:52
So have both Persephone and I got the total distance wrong? What should it be?

nickyjsmith
19th Jul 2008, 13:17
Hi,
At the point the aircraft meet they will have travelled the same distance, 488.75 miles each.

A has travelled for 2.875 hrs at 170 mph=488.75 miles(don't forget the 45 min head start)
B has travelled for 2.125 hrs at 230 mph=488.75 miles

Therefore total distance travelled is 488.75x2=977.5 miles

Nick.

Ouseburn
19th Jul 2008, 13:27
Cheers Nick! :ok:

Have updated my post above with the correct solution...

roll_over
19th Jul 2008, 21:17
So I got the essential maths CD. Are the questions in that similar to the questions in the assessment? Don't think the cd mentions the assessment anywhere?

4KBeta
21st Jul 2008, 09:15
roll_over,

Do not be worried about the example above, the questions they will give you will envolve no decimal places, at most possibly 1, nothing like the above :)

I belive the CD's are 'essential' for the course, after the assesment (someone may correct me on that) But assuming that, if you revise, learn most subjects on the CD I don't see why you would have a problem with the assesment.

My advice is to practice quick maths, quick addition , subtraction, long division etc. Here is a list of the subjects for the START of the course, so the assesment isn't far from this:

MATHS

Algebraic Substitution
Simple equations
Subject of the formulae
Factorisation
Expand and simplify
Indices
Functions
The line
Travel graph
Numbers
Percentages
Areas and volumes
Pythagoras theory and trigonometry
Problems in bearings
Geometric terms
The circle
Vectors
Practice Mental Maths !!

Here is the Physics aswell:

PHYSICS

Mechanics

Work and power
Energy
Potential and kinetic
Input and output energy
Pressure - solid liquids and atmospheric
Principles of Hydraulics
Gears and cogs
Linear motion equations
Gradient
Distance time graph - Velocity time graphs
Force and momentum
Resultant force
Newton's Law
Forces
Mass, weight and density
Vectors and scalars
Center of gravity (moments and balance)
The turning effect of forces
The law of moments: levers
Parallel forces in equilibrium
Couples
Principles of gyros
Principles of piston and turbo jet engines
The Otto cycle (engines)
(You must be familiar with both Imperial and Metric units and be able to convert one to the other)

Sound

Longitudinal waves
Sound waves
Stationary waves

Optics

Sources and reflectors of light
Magnification
Reflection Laws
Refraction
Convex and concave
Magnifying glass
Dispersion

Heat

Heat and temperature
Internal energy
Temp scales: including Kelvin and converting temperature from one scale to another
Heating and cooling curves
Melting
Boiling
Evaporation
Gas pressure
Pressure and temperature of a gas
Volume and temperature of a gas
Volume and pressure of a gas
Expansion on matter
Heat transmission: - Conduction - Convection and radiation
Boyles, Charles and the General Gas Laws

Magnetism (Ideally you should understand the following but it is not essential)

Magnets
Theory of magnetism
Magnetic fields and neutral points
Magnetic effect of current through wire - coil and solenoid
Electromagnetic
Motor effect of current through a wire
The simple D.c motor
Electromagnetic induction in a straight wire - solenoid
Transformers
The transmission of electrical power
Fields and rule

Current electricity (Ideally you should understand the following but it is not essential)

Circuit components and diagram
Electric circuits
Potential Difference
Electrical resistance
Ohms law
Series parallel and mixed circuits
Heating effect of an electric current
Electrical power
Direct current and alternating current
The live, neutral and earth wires
Circuit Breakers, fuses and switches
Principles of electric generators

General

General outline of metals and materials commonly used in aircraft
The principles of aerodynamic lift
Cloud formation and general principles of meteorology
Confidence in handling numbers and ability in mental arithmetic

It seems like a lot, but once you get your head down, your see some of it fits in with eachother nicely. Considering I havn't done Physics in 10 years? And I did double Science, not Physics seperately at GCSE and got 13/15 it isn't as bad as it seems.

As for the maths, there will be a question on Pythagoras in your maths, so remember to cover that. Just practice mental maths, I can't say that enough. None of the questions are exactly hard but with the limited time, you really don't have time to spend on the easier questions as later on your need it! This is were I didn't do so great, double checking answers wasted time I needed later on.

Persephone - I did it Nickys way :)

heli_port
21st Jul 2008, 09:41
but they must see potential in me

potential maybe i suspect it has more to do with the money you will bring to OAA during these tough times :ugh:

Persephone
22nd Jul 2008, 04:55
4kbeta quote "I worked it out as 12:51ish & 483ish miles"
You did it nicky's way and ended up with a different answer :sad:

As for nicky's answer, well it depends on how you read the question. I'll stick with my original answer.

4KBeta
22nd Jul 2008, 14:33
by '1251ish' I meant roughly. Didn't have time to work it out exactly but I knew it would be around 1251-1252 :-)

Anyhow its irrelevant, each to there own, an answer one way is the same as the answer the other way

Finite_World
4th Aug 2008, 15:33
Hi guys, some really useful stuff here!

Hopefully giving the OAA assessment a go some time during the next couple of weeks. Got a pretty clear idea on the maths test, but what's the physics like? Is it fairly similar to the Cabair assessment (for anyone who has done that as well)

Also, if anyone wants any info on the Cabair assessment, then just send me a message :)

AdamLT
4th Aug 2008, 15:47
Finite_World..

the sorts of things that were in the physics test when I was there included how a 4 stroke engine works, how clouds are formed (meteorology) newton's laws, moments (M=Force x perpendicular distance) distance/ speed/ time question.

the basic GCSE physics as what's on the bitesize web site

hope that helps

Finite_World
4th Aug 2008, 21:38
Cheers Adam, Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to log on the BBC for some revision!

Finite_World
12th Aug 2008, 16:54
sheenaroe (http://www.pprune.org/forums/members/223089-sheenaroe)

Just out of interest, did they charge you to retake the tests?