PDA

View Full Version : Absolute beginner to do ppl?

Leeds1972
11th Mar 2008, 08:10
I'm 30 yrs old and not done any study for over 13yrs, three weeks ago I went on a trial lesson and got the bug BIG time...Since then I've been studying for about 15hrs a week but although I know a lot more than I did before (practically nothing) I'm still going through my first section, general aircraft and flight principles and performance. I don't want to use the confuser as plan to go onto my ATPL and just consider it cheating myself..
I tell myself every day that I know a little more than yesterday but don't know if I'm impatient or just dumb!!

Anyone know what the average time for self study is from absolute beginner to ppl standard?
Any tips revision?
Do most people just learn the confuser?:ugh:

Cheers to everyone that takes time out to reply its greatly appreciated

from a very frustrated wannabe

ampan
11th Mar 2008, 08:50
Have you put an application into the RAF?

You might think that you haven't got a dog's show, but they have ways of objectively testing applicants. They only want the best, but there are numerous examples of them finding the best in unlikely locations. You might think that 30 is too old, but it really depends on your level of fitness.

It goes without saying that 4-7 years in the RAF will almost guarantee a good career in commercial aviation, should you want to pursue that path.

shaun ryder
11th Mar 2008, 08:51
You could study and complete the PPL syllabus very quickly, it all depends on your circumstances. I suspect that you work full time, so will have to study in your free time. Obviously this will extend the amount of time taken to understand and complete the course material. You can use the confuser but I would only use it as an aid to study, rather than a cheat! You are at the start of a very long tunnel. Flight training is usually a long and drawn out process, so try not to get too frustrated.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
11th Mar 2008, 09:44
Firstly welcome to the industry :ok:.

In the UK, correct me if it has changed, but to go in as an officer on their pilot training scheme, there is an age limit, which I think is your early twenties. I was rejected for being too old, when I was 24, however, I am not sure what the limit is now.

With regard to doing the PPL, just take it one step at a time. When I was teaching full time, I would advise my students to read the books, and then use the confuser to test their level of knowledge. One thing you will find in some of the PPL books, is that there is a tremendous amount of information in them. It is all good stuff, however, what the confuser will do for you, is two things. It will give you a flavour for what level the exams are pitched at, and it will also give you a flavour for how the CAA ask questions. This will be more evident when you do your ATPL's :}.

Having a sound knowledge of the PPL syllabus will help you a great deal when you study for the ATPL subjects, as they are an expansion of what you already know, and delve deeper into the subject.

Shaun, you profile makes me laugh, I am modular scum too ;).

All the best with you PPL and your quest to become a professional pilot, its a really great job.

MartinCh
11th Mar 2008, 10:38
Hello.

C'mon. 30. That's the best age. Stable career to fund training/flying, good credit for unsecured loan should one not have a house as a guarantee.
On the other hand, chance one's got wifey and wee weans so flying in the US isn't good for too long.. Plus having to keep job to pay mortgage or so..

RE RAF - can't tell/don't care/ for pilots, but MOD changed max recruitment age upwards about year or two ago. Ie you can still get killed in infantry at a later stage of your life should you wish so..

I wish I'd be finished with all training (rotary and some FW) by the age I'm 30. Money mainly.. (25 now)

Correct me guys if I'm wrong, but most of us start PPL as a beginner, right?
Unless you count 'recreational pilot' or NPPL or someone who's got the gist of AL, Met etc from powered hangglider, paraglider or glider.

You got the books, enthusiasm, some spare time and money.
What else do you want? :-P
Adrenaline you had mostly dissipates over the coming lessons as your body gets used to it. The great feeling of flying won't.
Enjoy flying.

fanda78
11th Mar 2008, 19:01
Hi there,

do not worry to use PPL confuser - you not cheating yourself as no single question in confuser is the same like in actual CAA papers - the wording is different - even better practising in confuser is the way to learn because you have to think about the question...
btw: I have found few errors in it...

I am 30 this year, started my PPL last September with same intention like you and passed all exams without problem - true is that even I passed them few months ago I remember less than half anyway...

I started actual flying last month (8hrs so far:ok:) and going to call CCA medical for initial appointment :eek:

btw: did you considered to attend ground school at local club - usualy its one evening a week - Andrewsfield does it for 15 quid

AlphaMale
11th Mar 2008, 19:25
Have you put an application into the RAF?

Thought you had to be under 23 to apply to the RAF?

RAF Pilot jobs (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/pilot.cfm)

I wanted to be a fast jet pilot after I joined the Air Cadets but was told when I was 18 that I was too tall to fly Tornado ... I then went to Uni to be able to fund my fATPL training.

At 26 am I too old to apply for the Herc? :confused:

richmanpoorman
13th Mar 2008, 12:13
I am also reluctant to use the confuser as I wanted to rely on understanding of the subjects rather than learning to pass the exams. Might have to re-think that in the light of some of the comments of those that have trodden this path before.

I'm also unsure of the timescales involved in training. I'm currently doing PPL with a view to hour building during this summer and then CPL and FI next spring. I'd like to do it all in UK, despite the cheaper options overseas.

Is this a realistic timescale, given that I can devote 2/3 days a week to fly (weather permitting) and a couple of hours an evening to study?

The school, as expected, just tell me what I want to hear!:rolleyes: