PDA

View Full Version : Compensation Outrage yet again ....

Rude C'man
10th Mar 2008, 22:26
Just watched the News at Ten .. re this story ......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/18/narmy118.xml

I am outraged, how many of our troops have got to give so much for so little in return ?

I'm with Jim Davidson on this one , fair treatment and compensation for our boys and girls.

Maybe if he had been sexually discriminated against or broke a finger nail typing he might have got more!!!

xiphias
10th Mar 2008, 22:30
Sorry, 484k for RSI?! :eek:

Chinny Crewman
11th Mar 2008, 06:09
You are usually outraged about something RC.

Fully agree however. BTW have you been posted yet?

Roland Pulfrew
11th Mar 2008, 16:22
I think the compensation paid to service personnel is criminal and the more the issue is raised the better, but then again don't hold your breath. With noo lairbour they will find a way of getting the money back. Perhaps a "green" tax on using too many bullets, just think of the carbon emissions!

I'm filling the car up tonight and stocking up on the Tescbury's 3 for 2 offers on wine as well.

On the subject of the "RAF typist" and the RSI injury, what really pi**es me off is not just the rediculous amount involved but the fact that it was, IIRC, a civil servant not a serving RAF member!! :mad:

anotherthing
11th Mar 2008, 17:48
An MoD spokesman confirmed that L/Cpl Compton was due to receive less than £100,000, but said that was only one part of his settlement, which would also include an income based on his salary.

I could be wrong but is the payment alluded to above not a pension in normal speak? If so, the mOD are trying to claim that L/Cpl Compton's pension is part of his compensation.

To:mad::mad:rs!

Riskman
11th Mar 2008, 23:18
On the subject of the "RAF typist" and the RSI injury, what really pi**es me off is not just the rediculous amount involved but the fact that it was, IIRC, a civil servant not a serving RAF member!! :mad:

So it would be ok if it was a typist in uniform then R P? Or are civil servants the untermensch not worthy of walking in your shadow?;) Anyway it's comparing apples with pears talking about the relative values of military and civvy compo.

What pi**es me off is that the RAF could have saved the MOD £480K if they had done something about her working conditions in the first place. The size of the award reflected rules in the civilian workplace, the fact that the employer didn't act after being made aware of the problem and the fact that her condition is now permanent. Entirely avoidable!

I agree that the level of so-called compensation awards made to our badly injured troops is paltry. In fact compensation is probably the wrong word because that implies some balancing out of loss with gain. Hardly the case for L/Cpl Compton even if he was awarded lottery-size numbers.

Mick Smith
12th Mar 2008, 09:30
Are you sure she was a civilian Riskman. I was told she was a serving SAC.

Roland Pulfrew
12th Mar 2008, 13:34
Riskman

Sorry. Poorly explained maybe. What pi:mad:es me off is the association that this compensation claim was paid to a serving member of the RAF. It wasn't it was paid to a civilian working for the RAF. No slight intended on civil serpants (unusually for me)

Mick not according to this press article:

An RAF typist who injured her thumb at work is to be paid almost half a million pounds by the Ministry of Defence.

The civilian's award is almost 30 times the amount a serviceman would receive for the same injury.

She also claimed that she became depressed... well I am depressed by the stupid compensation culture and inordinate payouts like this, when service personnel are restricted by some arbitrary formula as to what they can receive. Often for far greater injury, disability and I would guess depression. Can I sue someone for compensation?

Riskman
12th Mar 2008, 20:48
Roland, I think we're all on the same script. It just doesn't make for very good reading.:(

Talking Radalt
13th Mar 2008, 14:47
I am outraged
Never had you down as a Daily Mail reader Roody C'man. :p

Roland Pulfrew
16th Mar 2008, 17:58
And yet more outrages.....

http://timesonline.typepad.com/mick_smith/2008/03/mod-civil-serva.html

200K for a back injury. Just makes you wonder what all those ejection seat injuries are now worth!?!?!

Chris Kebab
16th Mar 2008, 19:04
Can't help thinking the civil servants are a convenient and easy target here.

It's the military system that sucks and needs correcting.

Riskman
19th Mar 2008, 01:12
A nurse in the NHS has just been awarded £300k after developing an allergy to latex. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7295132.stm

This is directly comparable to the 'RAF' typist and the other person (bad back from lifting a computer?). Civvy rules apply.