PDA

View Full Version : BMI/Flyglobespan?

KERDUNKER
10th Mar 2008, 16:52
Any body heard the rumour that Globespan has been sold.......... possibly to BMI.?

FormerFlyer
10th Mar 2008, 18:01
I have now :E

cheers ;)
FF

keepitlit
10th Mar 2008, 19:10
Heard this was happening last Friday, both private companys so we wont hear about it until the inks dry, but Im sure staff will hear about it through the normal channels, Mushroom news centre

regards

K.I.L.

pinkpyjama
10th Mar 2008, 19:53
Why on earth would BMI see an advantage in taking on that lot? BMed I could undertstand what with those juicy LHR slots for starters. Any ideas:hmm:

v6g
10th Mar 2008, 20:08
Well I've been convinced that Globespan were on their last legs ever since they started advertising on the "billboard-of-doom" under the Oak Street Bridge in Vancouver.

Over the last 5 years that I've been commuting that way every day, every single airline that advertises on that board subsequently goes bust within 6 months. It's a guarantee!

ravfooty
10th Mar 2008, 20:13
From a fleet perspective, in light of bmi's recent deal to lease 2 757s from Astraeus, the aging nature of the bmi baby fleet, the desire to expand the so called "mid-haul" routes and the allegedly predatory mood of the board at the moment it could make sense, but i'll believe it when I see it, just like the other thousands of rumours about bmi at the moment :)

theredbarron
10th Mar 2008, 20:23
It would certainly make sense if BMI wanted their Baby to expand into new markets quicker than generic growth could do it. At the moment they only operate domestic out of Scotland and so this gives them instant access to European routes, and N.America if they wanted to go that way too. Although......it wouldn't surprise me if we heard that TD was selling only the European business and holding on to the N.America routes as that is where Globespan's main business area has been for very many years, and the market they know best. We should find out soon I suppose.

ajamieson
10th Mar 2008, 20:51
Bmi could have started European routes out of Scotland any time it wanted under any of its brands...why would it do so now, especially given that EZ and FR have just gone on a huge expansion spree?

But a deal involving aircraft...that makes more sense.

GSM SCOT
10th Mar 2008, 21:58
Won't happen althought makes a change from us going bust !

Zedbeded
10th Mar 2008, 22:02
Can you explain why not or if there is any truth in the rumour that globespan is selling up to someone other than BMI.

pinkpyjama
11th Mar 2008, 10:36
Never be so sure!
Have seen this before, and as someone has already said; the first news officially is when the deal is done. Anyone remember EZ and GO's get together. Now that really was out of the blue.
TD seems very keen to blag on about costs ever increasing so if someone gives him a way out, why not take the cash and move on?
Times are tough, think a lot of smaller outfits will have to get into bed together in order to have a chance against the big boys. But BMI?

World of Tweed
11th Mar 2008, 10:46
Don't mean to doom monger here but I'm going to anyway.

If the rumour is true then perhaps the girls and boys at BMI should be on guard for a T&Cs battle in the future?

GSM surely has inferior conditions to BMI thus has a lower cost base which BMI may well want to emulate in the new 'combined' airline.

Is this another 'Whithering Branch' Stealth strategy the likes of Jetstar, Open Skies?

keepitlit
11th Mar 2008, 16:20
Ive heard the most likely fit is the 73's and pilots to baby, 767's and 757 go into mainline fold, which would also allow for 75/76 dual mid/longhaul set up(the in between A330/ A3231 that they are looking for).

regards

keepitlit

Max Angle
11th Mar 2008, 17:41
If the rumour is true then perhaps the girls and boys at BMI should be on guard for a T&Cs battle in the future? I can assure you that the T&Cs battle at bmi is an ongoing operation on both sides of the divide.

Copenhagen
11th Mar 2008, 17:42
RATI has an article today on this: -

“We are interested in acquiring other airlines as they come up,” says Turner. “We got BMed in February 2007 and it was a fantastic purchase. There are other consolidation opportunities that we are actively looking at.”

He does not specify what or where those opportunities may be, but says that “if something comes up in the next month” BMI would be able to “move very quickly”. However, he stresses that “one thing we won’t do is overpay”.

brian_dromey
11th Mar 2008, 18:20
Apart from bringing 757 and 767 flying in-house what would globespan bring to BD? Sure, they have a fleet of 737s, many of which are NGs, and a nice Scottish base of bucket & spade routes which the 738s would service fine and help WW to expand. There is no overlap in the markets either and the WW brand would be somewhat known in Scotland.

Thinking about it, actually it makes a wee bit more sense. BD is pretty constrained in LHR in terms of slots and suitable aircraft. Globespan would bring aircraft to the table and although the entire portfolio does not fit in one BD airline the 737ops would match well with WW and the 757/767 would be good in LHR. I dont think the long-haul routes are BD's cup of tea though, pickings are richer down in London.

Brian.

Copenhagen
11th Mar 2008, 18:25
I hope BMI dont start following the Swissair business model - buy clapped out lossmaking airlines, and expect to integrate them into a profitable overall business by cutting backoffice costs - Sabena, AOM anyone? :ugh:

Lets not forget that Bmed was loss making, and I understand that Globespan is too.

747-436
11th Mar 2008, 18:50
Why on earth would BMI see an advantage in taking on that lot? BMed I could undertstand what with those juicy LHR slots for starters.

BMI didn't get the slots, BA took them for 30 million as part of the deal.

Does seem a strange move for BMI to buy Globespan if it is true, can't see how it fits with the model down at LHR.
Unless BMI are being cunning and using that to get hold of the longhaul aircraft, and the 787 order coming in a couple of years time!

keepitlit
11th Mar 2008, 19:28
gotit in one, its the aircraft,

regards

Keepitlit

11th Mar 2008, 20:41
Whilst we're on the subject.....

SilverJet are after funding and have an extremely low value according to their share price. Rumours a little while ago related to operating out of LHR.

It's also been rumoured that the CEO had been spotted up at Donington Hall.....

Fits the story regarding cheap aircraft and minimal staff to absorb/redundanies, unlike some of the other airlines mentioned.

Interesting times.....

mathers_wales_uk
11th Mar 2008, 21:37
Wouldn't it make more sence for them to buy Jet 2 with 22 x 733 and then 8 7x 757 with one on the way. There are more variations of a/c types with Globespan.

The 733's go to baby and the 757 go to mainline (everyones happy).

bmia330
11th Mar 2008, 21:41
ugh!! the Jet2 733's are even older than ours!! :s

Little Blue
11th Mar 2008, 22:04
Some of Jet 2's 737's used to BE ours !!!

mathers_wales_uk
11th Mar 2008, 22:41
The problem with purchasing Globespan is that they have only 2 733 (same type as Baby).

Other A/C consists of 4 x 737-600, 2 x 737-700, 5 x 737-800 (all possibly going to BmiBaby), there is only 1 x 757 and 3 x 767 but there are 2 x 787 on order due 10.

Wouldn't these variations cause problems for crewing?

mathers_wales_uk
12th Mar 2008, 00:16
UK carrier BMI is on the lookout for airline acquisition opportunities and will “move very quickly” if it sees a potential target, the carrier’s CEO Nigel Turner tells ATI.
Turner says BMI is “out in the market looking at other opportunities” to acquire another airline, following its purchase last year of British Airways franchise partner British Mediterranean (BMed).
“We are interested in acquiring other airlines as they come up,” says Turner. “We got BMed in February 2007 and it was a fantastic purchase. There are other consolidation opportunities that we are actively looking at.”
He does not specify what or where those opportunities may be, but says that “if something comes up in the next month” BMI would be able to “move very quickly”. However, he stresses that “one thing we won’t do is overpay”.

toujours737
14th Mar 2008, 08:56
Realistically TD would never let it happen.
GSM is his.
Word is operation will compact this year to stabilize last years ops disasters.
New blood in departments, will only fuel GSM to make it work in the future.
Honestly, now is an exciting time for GSM - not to be worrying about some takeover.

Hudson Bay
14th Mar 2008, 12:35
Looks like some sort of deal has been done. Not sure if it's with GS. Announcement shortly.

Hudson Bay
14th Mar 2008, 12:40
bmi chairman, Sir Michael Bishop ... The acquisition of BMED was not a one-off activity and we continue to look for other acquisitions – bmi is
now in expansion mode and even small ‘bolt-ons’ to the business can have a good effect. bmi intends to grow, not
reduce in size. The commitment is to build in strength and shape a bmi for the future that is sustainable, successful
and profitable.

On the Straight and Level
14th Mar 2008, 16:54
What makes you so sure a deal has been done then Hudson?

So many rumours are just that!. So many are created by people over hearing others comments and taking them literally. Hence back to my original question, where (approximately) did you glean this from?

A320fan
14th Mar 2008, 17:09
Its not happeneing, never was going to and certainly for now never will.... source bmi!!! :sad:

SKYHOOK
14th Mar 2008, 17:39
Its not happeneing, never was going to and certainly for now never will.... source bmi!!!

Thank :mad: for that :cool:

Richard Taylor
14th Mar 2008, 18:59
Exactly...what would Globespan want with Airbuses...:E

757LUVA
14th Mar 2008, 19:20
Well said RT :D :O

Havana
14th Mar 2008, 20:21
Due to the amount of crew leaving bmi maybe it is flt deck and cabin crew they were after

pinkpyjama
15th Mar 2008, 00:29
Airliners.net have a post talking about BMI pulling something big and announcement early next week.
Must admit getting a tad tedious now. Lets hope this is all out to bed one way of other by then.
Have a good weekend everyone.

Whitehatter
15th Mar 2008, 08:24
The nine hundred pound gorilla in the corner is, as ever, Lufthansa. Nobody quite knows just what they will end up doing, and their call option comes valid any time now.

Topslide6
15th Mar 2008, 09:25
I don't wish to comment on the 'big announcment', we'll all have to wait and see what it is.

What I will say, however is that i'm getting a bit sick of reading comments like this:

The nine hundred pound gorilla in the corner is, as ever, Lufthansa. Nobody quite knows just what they will end up doing, and their call option comes valid any time now.

If Sir Michael Bishop doesn't wish to sell, then I believe Lufthansa have no rights to bmi. The existence of this 'call option' appears to be pure speculation. I for one cannot believe, after all this time being in business that SMB tied himself into having to sell bmi at a certain time and at a certain value.

Now....back to the speculation.

Richard Taylor
15th Mar 2008, 09:28
So Luftie can veto who SMB sells his shares to....sounds like a very hairy gorilla indeed to me. :rolleyes:

Jimmy Riddle
15th Mar 2008, 09:43
If SMB (or anyone else) is looking at a GSM acquisition, he would do well to chat with the SAS engineering bods who recently looked at two of the 4 -600's owned by TD at EDI.
All 4 -600's were originally SAS owned,well maintained and pristine when they arrived, then TD decided to increase seat numbers by ripping out the fwd galleys.
One -600 is in SEN, has been for months, another has been languishing in LPL since November where it went for an engine change. The engine was hanging on chains !!!!! when the CAA pulled the plug due the hanger not being approved for maintenance
Config change paperwork and maintenance state leaves a bit to be desired.
Caveat eamptor.....the devil's in the detail.

bazzab68
15th Mar 2008, 19:26
Hows about ZB take over, common fleets with BMI mainline. Opens up numerous possibilities for WW taking over longer routes ex bhx and man.
ZB reportedly struggling for cash and a take over by BMI, well maybe. Just another name to throw in the pot......

Barry Bhx

qwertyuiop
15th Mar 2008, 19:44
ZB stuggling for cash?? Most stupid thing I ever heard. The rest maybe true.

StoneyBridge Radar
16th Mar 2008, 00:29
Monarch....cash....struggling....all in one sentence.

You're having a larrff :}

Anyone feeling ZB up would get an undignified Vaffanculo, I'm sure.

Stoney

junglie-driver
16th Mar 2008, 11:03
One of my favourite italian greetings.

Airbourne-Adamski
16th Mar 2008, 15:26
Hows about ZB take over, common fleets with BMI mainline. Opens up numerous possibilities for WW taking over longer routes ex bhx and man.
ZB reportedly struggling for cash and a take over by BMI, well maybe. Just another name to throw in the pot......

It was only recently the ''Rumours'' were easy were looking at ZB

lexoncd
16th Mar 2008, 21:29
If you research the ownership of ZB then you'll see that in these troubled times it is they who will be on the look out for opportunities.

We're entering a period of "cash is king"

The question is do they want to remain as an airline supporting the Cosmos operation.

StoneyBridge Radar
16th Mar 2008, 22:28
Junglie, likewise ! :ok:

Some things do get lost in translation though.

When I was very new to the language, I was introduced to Mrs Stoney's Italian family, one of which was her cousin with a new born.
Now, anyone knows baby is 'bambino' in italian, but in my rich Manchester accent, trying to talk to a Neapolitan family, instead of asking the mother if I could have the baby, I asked whether she would give me 'un pompino.'

Five years later, I may have been forgiven, but it will never be forgotten :}

Stoney

ZeBedie
17th Mar 2008, 00:21
Last I heard, BMI were in deep doodoo and not in a position to take anyone over.

But look how an even more crippled MyTravel managed to take over Thomas Cook!

StoneyBridge Radar
17th Mar 2008, 00:31

Huh ?! :confused:

kaikohe76
17th Mar 2008, 07:13
I for one hope that Monarch can & will continue well into the future, as a complete separate Airline in it's own right. However we all know that in this industry, different carriers are getting together, take overs, amalgamations etc happen almost every day & so often the Staff are the last to know.

As far as rumours are concerned, many moons ago I was in the crew room & someone announced a rumour, that Monarch were looking at the possible operation of a DC10.
The majority view of this at the time, was a resounding, Rubbish, No way, Totally out of the question etc etc. Just look what happened shortly after & what a super decision by the company too!

Regards to all

mathers_wales_uk
17th Mar 2008, 10:32

My Travel did not Take over Thomas Cook, they merged with Thomas Cook having the majority share.

Little Blue
17th Mar 2008, 19:54
In the words from the theme to "The Littlest Hobo"........
'Maybe, tomorrow...........':)

RMC
18th Mar 2008, 07:17
So much duff information its untrue. Hot off the press news....straight from the top Globespan are taking over Virgin. Oh hang on just heard Loganair were have put a bid in for American Airlines.

ecj
18th Mar 2008, 08:15
Briefing for managers today at BMI HQ.

Expect news by close of play.:oh:

lamina
18th Mar 2008, 08:46
Whoever wants to buy an airline, may have trouble raising capital in todays market!

boygeorgefan
18th Mar 2008, 09:52
JET2 to take over GSM ?

CabinCrewe
18th Mar 2008, 14:57
"Duff information"...???? So you'll hang your head in shame and apologise if it all comes true....no I didnt think so.:rolleyes:

pinkpyjama
18th Mar 2008, 15:04
Err, sorry but just what is this thread about now?
As far as I was aware it was BMI/Globespan.
What's all this talk of other carriers about. Let's stay on subject at least until tonight, or the next night or the......zzzzzzzzzz

bazzab68
18th Mar 2008, 15:19
Meeting taking place as I write this at HQ of BMI. Started at 2 so we should know something by the end of today.

Barry

nitefiter
18th Mar 2008, 16:04
high level management meeting ! Will some one please just make the decision whether or not to buy a new ribbon for the typewriter down at the Hall!!!

Hudson Bay
18th Mar 2008, 16:56
All those posh cars still parked outside.

Little Blue
18th Mar 2008, 17:19
So why has NT been at Tinytown all afternoon?

CabinCrewe
18th Mar 2008, 17:21
aaah the power of videoconferencing.

Hudson Bay
18th Mar 2008, 17:25
Why would NT be at a high level meeting? Facts are facts and the meeting is continuing at Donnington Hall this evening.

kissmyjetpipe
18th Mar 2008, 17:29
What about BMI taking on XL, much better buy than GS, after all by next april they will have 6 A330, 3 767, and about 15 737800, and a lot of very good crew and a much better all round operation than GS, they also have bases in LGW, MAN,BRS,EMA AND LC, along with some very good contracts.

Little Blue
18th Mar 2008, 17:33
Well, there's only one higher man than NT in the bmi group....and I doubt that he's sat round the table in the Belvedere !
So that's why I'd expect NT to be handing the biscuits about , I guess.

chrism20
18th Mar 2008, 19:42
Any news?

Or is Nigel still dishing out the Bourbouns?

StoneyBridge Radar
18th Mar 2008, 20:50
He's just popped down the local Bargain Booze to buy a dozen ready-mix Gin & Tonics and a party bag of Tortillas. :E

GSM SCOT
18th Mar 2008, 20:52
News is there is no offer to buy GSM, never has been either.

Also GSM was never up for sale in the first place

lexoncd
18th Mar 2008, 20:55
Monthly board meeting nothing sinister. Noticed AS and PK down fron regional?

bazzab68
18th Mar 2008, 20:56
According to the pilots forum WW have gone bust........... Not sure about this.

Barry

8028410q
18th Mar 2008, 22:09
No, they have not gone bust. I've just spoken to the cleaner at Donington Hall and something big is going to be announced (rather exciting isn't it!!! - don't you just love the wait???).

...and yes, I know what it is, but if I tell - I'd be ruining everything!!

Well done bmi management!! :D

Hudson Bay
18th Mar 2008, 22:20
Yes I agree. Hats off to SMB for pulling this one off.

RAPC
18th Mar 2008, 22:27
By crikey, this had better be worth the wait.

For those of you with inside knowledge, when out of interest will the average punter get to hear said news?

ExpectmorePayless
18th Mar 2008, 22:56
Oh no, they're not going to rename the airline British Midland, launch
a new livery and start re-painting the fleet all over again - are they ? :ugh:.

GLENO
19th Mar 2008, 00:08
When can we expect this announcement then???
Come on spill the beans............you can't leave us hanging on a string!!!

groundrat
19th Mar 2008, 20:24
So,no news yet then?this thread has gone ominously quiet in the last 18 hours after all the hoop-la of the last couple of days!Wonder what it was all about-if anything at all:confused:Maybe the rumour mill finally collapsed under its own weight!What a carry-on!People really shouldn't let these rumours spin out of control when you consider the empoyees whose lives are affected by it all!:=

Jimmy Riddle
19th Mar 2008, 20:59
Oh please groundrat.....don't make me laugh.....did you honestly think for a second that any of us up North would be affected by this rumour.....get a grip laddie....TD's too much of a control freak to have his train set taken away....haven't you been apprised of the latest Oman ACMI work??
Join Scotland's local airline and spend your life in ........anywhere but Scotland !!!
:rolleyes:

CabinCrewe
19th Mar 2008, 21:18
But TD appears to be no stranger to making a quick buck- if the AI/Neos/transatlantic debacle is anything to go by....

Jimmy Riddle
19th Mar 2008, 21:21
Exactly, he'll make a buck, but how many thousands of bucks has he lost through micro management and meddling in things he knew nothing about?
He's a canny scot,you don't get to become a multi millionaire without having a bit of a brain, but what he knows about running an airline, based on this and previous experience ain't too much.

xwindflirt
20th Mar 2008, 01:16
you know what they say.... you want to make a million in aviation? start with 2 :rolleyes:

babymike737
20th Mar 2008, 18:47
Lets hope its good news for BMI and bmibaby! :D

CabinCrewe
20th Mar 2008, 19:45
Im bored of waiting now. I feel a damp squib coming on.

parky747
21st Mar 2008, 09:11
Maybe Richard Branson is about to buy BMI!!!

Wishfull thinkin, but would be nice to have Virgin up at Manchester with a similar smart op like they have an America!!

SADDLER
21st Mar 2008, 11:42
Wishful thinking not!
Most of us are hoping anyone else but Virgin.

Easy Ryder
22nd Mar 2008, 00:34
Anyone else BUT virgin???? huh?:confused:

Explain that one please...

MUFC_fan
22nd Mar 2008, 11:34
I would be VERY surprised to see VS buy BD. There are alot of domestic flights operated by BD which would be in comptetion with their trains although there is demand for both and it would provide great connections for VS long haul from LHR.

I also would like to see the Virgin American interior at MAN. Would definately be better than taking the train to LON!;)

Max Angle
22nd Mar 2008, 14:09
Most of us are hoping anyone else but Virgin.Well I don't know which crew room you have been gassing in but that is most certainly not the view that most people express. I think the general view is almost the exact opposite.

AboveMSA
22nd Mar 2008, 15:05
This thread has become a complete waste of time!

Flightlevel001
22nd Mar 2008, 22:41
I agree...

...and yes, I know what it is, but if I tell - I'd be ruining everything!!

Well done bmi management!! :D

Yes I agree. Hats off to SMB for pulling this one off.

What exactly were you congratulating??

Count von Altibar
22nd Mar 2008, 23:24
Yeah, why not spill the beans and put us out of our misery

MAN_Dispatcher
23rd Mar 2008, 12:28
"Yeah, why not spill the beans and put us out of our misery"

I think you'll find they were being sarcastic. Nothing to tell!

Mr Flaps
23rd Mar 2008, 13:56
boring, change the record please.

SinBin
23rd Mar 2008, 15:03
I'm bored of this too, I'm also bored with moaning exBMED crews. Nobody forces them to work there!!

finding_nema
23rd Mar 2008, 16:34
In all fairness to BMED crews, it wasn't what they signed up to either when they joined that airline. Yes, BMED would have gone under had it not been for bmi stepping in, but at the same time they've seen a massive change in their working conditions, so there was always going to be griping, bmi are not an easy company to work for.

I personally didn't see any benefit in a merger between WW/GSM given the number of new types to the fleet they'd be adding, operational complexity, a head office which would need to be disbanded and opening two new bases at airports with a strong EZY/FR local presence. It seems better to focus on existing bases and grow from there. WW have cornered a decent niche at BHX, and to a smaller extent MAN, and would be wise to protect them.

SinBin
23rd Mar 2008, 17:02
They knew what was happening months ago, + their seniority deal as far as pilots was pretty good. But like I said no-one forces them to work there, and it's tiresome to hear moaning all the time.

webby1919
23rd Mar 2008, 17:32
No takeover of GSM.

GSM are getting geared up for a successful S08, to get their rep back.

All routes are being flown by GSM A/C:

2 B767-300ERs will be used for SFB, YHM (on occasion), YVR, YYC routes UK-wide.

1 B757-200ER will be used for YHM UK-wide.

All B737s will be used for shorthaul routes.

4 B738s and 1 B736 based GLA
1 B73G based ABZ
1 B733 based MME
1 B738, 1 B733, 1 B73G and 1 B736s based EDI

ROSSKi MYT
23rd Mar 2008, 22:44
Are all B738 not Glasgow based as always?

MUFC_fan
23rd Mar 2008, 23:48
Does Sharm El Sheikh not need a 73H or can a 73G do the run as well?

luvly jubbly
24th Mar 2008, 09:58
Astraeus would be a more likely target for BMI........

The 738s are not always based at GLA. EDI had one there last summer.
SSH can be done on 73G.

Looking forward to getting our own aircraft back for long haul S08!

LJ

bmibaby.com
25th Mar 2008, 01:09
The bmi group are currently making it policy to look at growth through acquisition, but let's not forget SMB is a shrewd businessman, and if the right offer came along would sell any one of the arms of the company up the river a la British Regional, Manx and BMHS to name a few.

aeulad
27th Mar 2008, 13:53
Is it true that Bmi/bmibaby have bought GSM?

Regards

Mike

GLENO
27th Mar 2008, 15:07
Of course it is!!....they have also bought BA:}

Richard Taylor
27th Mar 2008, 15:46
And Flybe :E

aeulad
28th Mar 2008, 09:18
I heard that bmibaby crew have recieved an internal message saying GSM has been bought. Is there any truth in this?

Regards

Mike

Facelookbovvered
28th Mar 2008, 10:53
People are of course assuming that if this were to happen that it would be the whole of GSM and IMHO that doesn't make a lot of sense, getting involved with long haul ops would bring the same problems to baby that it did to GSM. Whilst it is true that the group(bmi) would be able to take this on, that doesn't fit what they do either, they aren't into package tours.

What would make sense would be for GSM to divest them selfs of the short haul product from EDI/GLA/ABZ/MME, the money from this would help develope the long haul side, make the operation that remaind much easier to manage.

For bmibaby they would have a fleet that fits with their current fleet (the NG is a couple of days in the sim) at a stroke it would give them a strong Scottish operation, baby have in place everything they need to do this both here and overseas.

It would allow them to operate early rotations between the EDI/GLA/ABZ and their current bases (that fly North) EMA/BHX/CWL which would allow them to pick up the more profitable early morning business traffic.

They could operate BHX-EDI-AGP-EDI-BHX with the BHX first wave whilst the Scottish first wave could operate EDI-BHX-AGP-BHX-EDI and still end up with all the crews in the right place, aircraft swaps down line to return aircraft to EMA for checks are common place within baby.

The plus for baby is that at stroke they would gain the airframes and crews that they need with out much additional cost to the cost base.

For GSM it would allow them to focus on their holiday business, they can still sell seats on the short haul stuff (baby have done this for years with various tour operators) not have to worry about facing down Ryanair at EDI, it would also give the CAA some confidence that they are serious about the long haul product (ETOPS) and who knows bmi (group) may be able to help them there as well as part of a deal.

This would avoid much blood being spilt in terms of back office staff for GSM

aeulad
28th Mar 2008, 11:34
IF it is true, I wouldn't expect BD to keep the 76/75 fleet based up North, but move them to LHR for midhaul.

Regards

Mike

luvly jubbly
29th Mar 2008, 15:27
Can any Baby crew confirm receipt of this internal memo?

Nubboy
29th Mar 2008, 15:37
Don't be daft. This is a RUMOUR network. Hard facts and info not allowed:ok:

luvly jubbly
8th Apr 2008, 16:58
From The Scotsman:

By ALASTAIR DALTON TRANSPORT CORRESPONDENT
FLYGLOBESPAN, Scotland's largest airline, is seeking a merger or acquisition to fuel further growth, its new chief executive has revealed.

Rick Green, head of parent company Globespan, has disclosed that the firm remains firmly focused on expansion despite its impending first full-year loss, caused partly by major problems with hired-in aircraft used last year.

In his first interview since joining the Edinburgh-based company in December, Green said he was taking over operational command from chairman and former managing director Tom Dalrymple, who has run the business for 34 years.

Green was formerly managing director of Glasgow-based Direct Holidays, which became part of the merged Thomas Cook-MyTravel conglomerate last year. First Choice and Thomson Holidays owner TUI also merged months later.

The signals from Green suggest Globespan may be following a similar path. He said: "My role is to strategically review any opportunities that exist.

"We are looking for a strategic partnership, such as a merger or acquisition. We are not for sale, but every business has a price."

However, Green said there was "absolutely no truth" in rumours of interest from BMI.

He said Dalrymple, 62, would become "more strategic, less operational." He added: "Tom is the principal shareholder and will remain so, but I think his wife would like to see more of him."

Green will be looking for a less turbulent first summer season at Globespan than the hiatus caused last year by two problematic aircraft hired from Icelandair, which he admitted had cost the firm more than £10 million. Repeated faults with the Boeing 757s left transatlantic passengers stranded and others with disrupted journeys.

This will contribute to Globespan filing its first loss this month, for the year to last October, despite turnover rising 40 per cent to about £280 million. The previous year's pre-tax profits were £4.7m. Green said the firm had learned its lesson, and it now operated all of its own aircraft. It has a 17-strong fleet.

Six-year-old Flyglobespan hit further bad publicity in October when it became the first British airline to have a licence for flying directly across the Atlantic suspended following investigations by aviation safety authorities.

The licence was subsequently restored by the Civil Aviation Authority, but the airline has this year voluntarily surrendered the licence pending a reorganisation of its engineering division under new director Chris Hubbard, who joined from Thomas Cook.

Green is confident the licence will be restored by next month. In the meantime, twin-engine planes have to fly closer to land.

Confident that such problems will soon be history, Green was bullish about this year's prospects. He said bookings were up 10 per cent on last summer, despite the credit crunch, rising oil prices and increased competition, especially from Ryanair's expansion at Edinburgh airport.

The winter season had been the firm's strongest yet, Green said, with aircraft flying 82 per cent full – 4 percentage points up on last winter – despite a 6 per cent increase in seats.

He said: "Competition does not seem to be affecting us. We have regrouped and are stronger than ever."

10th Apr 2008, 13:11
Certainly is time for megers/take overs and acquisitions.

Could SilverJet be on BMIs radar screen? Especially as cheap airframes are required for their mid/longhaul routes.

Latest news on SilverJet

LONDON (Thomson Financial) - Business airline Silverjet Plc. said it is in
talks about a potential takeover of the company.
The carrier, which flies from Luton to New York Newark and Dubai, said in a
statement that it had noted a recent increase in its share price.
"The company is currently in discussions which may or may not lead to an
offer for the issued share capital of the company," the group said. "A further
announcement will be made when appropriate."
Speculation has emerged about Silverjet's future following negative analyst
comment and results that disappointed investors.
One report suggested the business airline could become a takeover target for
easyJet Plc. after it said in January that it had appointed Amir Eilon, a former
board member of the budget carrier and friend of easyJet's largest shareholder
Stelios Haji-Ioannou, as a non-executive director.
In January, stockbroker Daniel Stewart initiated coverage on the airline
with a 'sell' rating and zero pence price target, saying it doubted the group's
business model. Silverjet hit back, saying it was confident the carrier would
achieve its first month of operating profit in March.
The group failed to achieve that target, but said earlier this month that it
flew 23 percent more passengers in March than it did in February.
In February, Silverjet said property tycoons the Reuben brothers had decided
against turning a 10 mln stg loan to the business airline into shares.
Silverjet launched services from the UK to the US in January last year. The
group's share price has fallen since it floated in 2006 and concerns have grown
about the feasibility of the all-business class, long-haul airline model since
US premium only carrier Maxjet Airways filed for bankruptcy late last year.
However, some analysts believe there could be space for different types of
premium-only carriers.
The group's shares closed at 15-1/4 pence on Wednesday. It floated on AIM in
May 2006 with a placing price of 112 pence per share.

stim
26th Jul 2008, 16:50
If BA got the slots, whet slots are bmi using to fly the same routes??!! bmi kept most of the slots ..

ajamieson
26th Jul 2008, 17:02
BA does get the slots eventually, but bmi still has them for a while yet. After that, it will have to drop some routes or rotations to 'fit' the reduced number of slots.

Despite still having the ex-BMED slots, bmi have dropped a couple of routes and rotations in the past 18 months: INV and ALC/LYS have been axed and I think one of the DUB flights was dropped.