PDA

View Full Version : B200 vs Let410

pilotd
10th Mar 2008, 14:48
Hi guys

which aircraft is better to fly on as a pilot. Basically which one will look better on the cv as well as which one is the better hours to get. Any info will be appreciated.

Pilotd

SpootNICK
10th Mar 2008, 15:16
Im no Chief Pilot,

But assuming you intend on flying modern western airliners some time in the future, a B200 is a good step. Although the Let410 is an OK machine in the bush, the pressurised B200 is a better stepping stone onto bigger and better things. Oh, and to jump from the B200 to a B1900 is a breeze.....and then you get your hand on some proper multi crew time.

My 2c worth, but then again.....I am extremely biased.

SN

Contract Dog
10th Mar 2008, 15:22
L410 is certified as a true multi crew aircraft, unlike the 200 or 1900. 1900 and 200 are just glorified light twins.

Dog

The Wraith
11th Mar 2008, 11:27
ContractDog keep telling yourself that!
The Beech 1900D is far more than just a glorified light twin. And Performance wise you can barely compare it to a Let 410. I've yet to see a Let 410 with the standard of avionics of a Beech 1900D, nor see one climb at 3000fpm plus and attain a 285kt TAS with groundspeeds regularly around 300kts.
Whilst both valuable types, I know which one I would rather have on my CV.
Cheers.
:p

Antman
11th Mar 2008, 13:00
I'm biased as I flew the Let410 then FK27 then B737 then A330 then A340, A380 is next. Here's my 2 cents worth.

groundspeeds regularly around 300kts
So you have a 350nm out and back trip for the day.
B1900D 1:20 out, 1:20 back. Total for the day = 2:40
Let410 2:10 out, 2:10 back. Total for the day = 4:20

Both Multi-crew multi-turbine time
I know which airplane I would fly if I was building hours to further my career.

I've yet to see a Let 410 with the standard of avionics of a Beech 1900D

The 410's I flew where all full king gold crown equiped with all the bells and whistle's. Also engine management technology on the Let is superior.:p

fly1981
11th Mar 2008, 13:30
The only advantage of the let410 is that it is a certified 'mcc' aircraft. So I guess if you going to sit right seat, go for the let, if you are going directly into the left seat, go King Air. The king air in SA is much more common, so there is lots more work available on the aircraft in SA. As for Avionics, the king air(unless its a very late model.....)has similar avionics, most of them fairly old. The 1900D on the otherhand is far superior in terms of performace, avionics etc. The reason the engine management system on the let is better, is because that engine needs it, where as the good old PT6 does not(provided you have pilots operating it that have a bare minimum understanding of how to operate it!!!!!) All and all, both aircraft have there place in aviation, I would definately go for the king air, as to get onto a 1900 from there is not an issue, and any pilots rated on 1900's in JHB these days will confirm, there is NO shortage of work!!!!! Good luck:ok:

Toppled AH
11th Mar 2008, 14:51
I think Antman hit the nail on the head there, yes the King Air and the B1900 might be fater than the Let 410 and has parcial EFIS etc but at the end of the day when one goes for an interview they are not interested whether you flew the King Air, B1900 or the Let 410....or the B737-200 or MD80's its the total turbine or jet time at the bottom of your logbook that counts. Do you really think airlines like Emirates, Cathay etc worries about that...I don't think so....

What ever makes you happy as you always have to remind yourself WHY you started flying in the first place.....

What ever you choose...have fun and fly safe..

Patches O'Houlihan
12th Mar 2008, 07:03
I flew the 1900 for 3 years, and loved every bit of it! Agreat machine to fly, and definitely no shortage of work around.

However, now that I'm trying to get my ATP I find my self fighting with the CAA over whether my time in the right seat counts as multi-crew time. A 200 is smaller than the the 1900 and as far as I know, right seat time won't be recogised at all... And they're being sticky over whether I can test on a 1900 as well.

After years on contract, giving let410 crew stick about their 'kak' errie, I'm know starting to wonder if I flew the right machine... The let might be low and slow, but its twin turbine and a true multi-crew aircraft.

Either way, take whatever gets you flying soonest. Worry about the rest later. Good luck

fly1981
12th Mar 2008, 10:10
Hey. All those issues re the 1900 have been sorted out. You can test on the aircraft, an AIC has been published stating that you can test on any multi engine turbine/jet provided it has dual instrumentation. Have a look at the thread ''altp test on a 1900'', The AIC was quoted. As for the right seat time, if the company you work for writes a letter to acompany your application stating the aircraft is operated in a multi crew enviroment, in accordance with caa approved SOP's, then they will count the time 50%. Good luck.

booze
12th Mar 2008, 10:20
Hi Guys!

I wouldn't say, that the B190 or BE20 are more superior to the L410/420s other than being pressurized...

The L410/420s i fly, all have the fancy bells&whistles like: EGPWS, TAWS, TCAS II, WAAS/RNAV capable GPS coupled to the autopilot, etc. Basically almost the same partial-EFIS like the newer B190/BE20s. And on the top of that those aeries will never-ever match the short-field performance and the ruggedness of the Let.

And, of course needless to say that all the Let ops are Part121, proper multi-crew, unlike the beechcraft ones. So, i f anyone wants to get an ATPL nowadays i suggest go for the Let or bigger (ATR, DASH8, etc.). I think the CASA212 counts as multi-crew as well, but i'm not too sure. Anyone, ideas?

The unfortunate thing about the Let is it's bad name which was given by all those dodgy operators out there. But hey, i'm not too sure that an overloaded BE20/B190 will maintain on one engine too...So all-in-all, take a good look who are you gonna fly for. I've seen some dodgy looking 9Q/3D-registered Beechcrafts out there as well...

But anyways...you can't compare the two aircraft. They were built for a completely different purpose. And on which looks better on your cv? Well...if you have an ATPL, that looks the best!

Cheerz,

Booze

powerstall
12th Mar 2008, 12:47
... nice POV's.. all the time is thought this was going to be a LEt-410 bashing... :E

Contract Dog
12th Mar 2008, 13:54
TW, I have 1000 hrs on 1900's and 1000 ish hrs on 200's and yes, where I fly, certainly a 1900C is a glorified light twin. Years of abuse on 25000 hr+ airframes have left the old girls in a bit of a sad state. Max all up in a 200 or a C mid day in the desert and you are going to buy a farm. 285 TAS on a D is impressive! but I would love to hear what your engineer says about your hot section, because it must have a few holes burnt into it by now!

Pilot D, you asked the best flying wise.... my all time best working aircraft to fly are the C210 and B200. But the L410 is crtified 2 crew and I can promise you that that counts a hell of a lot more than B200 and 1900 time (yes they are both twin turbine and "operated" 2 crew) but the MCC time will be a huge advantage with part 61 coming into effect.

Booz, yes, Casa212 is 2 crew.

Hope this helps

Dog