PDA

View Full Version : Puma Dual Engine Flameout for flying thru a fountain?

BlenderPilot
10th Mar 2008, 00:56
I remember reading somewhere that a Puma had a dual engine flameout due to water ingestion from flying thru a fountain similar to the Jet d'Eau in Geneva, I just can remember where it took place.

Anybody remember this incident?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/DSC00049-KFF.JPG

Fareastdriver
10th Mar 2008, 01:18
If you fly through something like that you deserve a double flame-out.

SASless
10th Mar 2008, 02:17
It's not a double flame out the pilot would experience......but when his boss got through kicking his hind end.... his nose would be bleeding like a fountain!:ugh:

212man
10th Mar 2008, 02:28
Not aware of that. I am aware of a 332 that had a double flame out whilst on the deck of a semi-sub: the rig pitched down into a freak wave (well, more freaky than the others in 55 kt winds!) and the deck was engulfed.

Another one had a double flame out in the hover, after running on a deck for an hour or so in falling snow, waiting for the weather to improve. The winds were too high to shutdown and the crew could not see the full extent of the collection of slush that had accumulated - hence their intent to sit in the hover for a while.

ShyTorque
10th Mar 2008, 11:32
Never heard about the Puma incident but I do remember a military Gazelle pilot coming back from an exercise who thought a farmer's irrigation spray would make a very good drive through helicopter car wash.

Result? One slightly washed, bent Gazelle, sitting in a field.

Brian Abraham
10th Mar 2008, 15:18
RN Seaking many, many years ago had a double engine failure as a result of salt encrustation accumulated whilst making a rescue in the channel. Fortunately over land when the final engine failed and think the pilot (Aussie Navy) got some sort of gong for the resulting auto onto the side of a hill (no damage incurred) in the dark (1974ish). Memory a little dim so details may be a little astray.

SASless
11th Mar 2008, 00:40
Shy,

In some parts of this country....it ain't irrigation they are a-spraying but is barn waste!

Strewth....imagine the surprise you would get if you poked a hole in one of those geysers?

You can hear the phone call now....."Errrr....Boss....you ain't never gonna believe......."

John Eacott
11th Mar 2008, 00:53
Brian,

824NAS and RNFTU Sea Kings in 1974: Lt Cdr Dave Mallock was driving the German Navy SAR SK, Lt Tony(?) Baker RAN the 824 cab. MV Merc Enterprise capsized off Plymouth in 60ft waves, the whole crew were rescued. 5 hour sortie, on the way back to Culdrose Tony was on long finals when Dave had massive torque fluctuations, ending in a night auto into a ploughed field on the Lizard Peninsular. Tony went back to check on Dave, even though he was also getting torque fluctuations, then put down next to the nearest pub when Dave called that he was down in one piece :cool: Both got AFC's (real ones.....)

Result of salt build up on the IGV's, pre intake shield mods.

I had an engine flame out on the deck of Ark (5 spot, of course :rolleyes: ) when the erk threw a bucket of clean water onto the screen to wash off the salt build up from the last 4 hours. Missed the screen, straight into the No2 intake :oh:

ShyTorque
11th Mar 2008, 00:57
SASless, yes I can imagine:

"Boss, the $hiŁ has really hit the fan...... :eek:"

Brian Abraham
11th Mar 2008, 03:35
Thats the the one John. Saw Tony Baker quite recently and exchange cards. Joined up together, he from lower deck, I direct entry.

put down next to the nearest pub

Survival instinct?

206Fan
11th Mar 2008, 09:36
Survival instinct?Id have to agree there, no better place to set down than next to a pub:}

I had an engine flame out on the deck of Ark (5 spot, of course :rolleyes: ) when the erk threw a bucket of clean water onto the screen to wash off the salt build up from the last 4 hours. Missed the screen, straight into the No2 intake

Was this a seaking also john?

ShyTorque
11th Mar 2008, 09:40
Forgetting GPS, one can visualise a new type of approach aid; "PLS" (Pub Landing System) consisting of two beams of beer fumes directed up into the night sky... :8

Sorry, a surreal moment there... :O

206Fan
11th Mar 2008, 09:48
Forgetting GPS, one can visualise a new type of approach aid; "PLS" (Pub Landing System) consisting of two beams of beer fumes directed up into the night sky... :8

Sorry, a surreal moment there...

Haha very good shy...:cool:

John Eacott
11th Mar 2008, 10:15
Was this a seaking also john?

Yes, the "classic" HAS1 ;)

And the pub was the Wheel Inn, IIRC, at Cury Cross. Long time ago, but it was a popular pinger pub, so it may just have been fortuitous navigation :p Flown out the next day after a good comp wash.

Malarky Jim's FGN machine sat in the field for a week or more, waiting for a Skycrane to position from West Germany to lift it out; amazing machine, even then :ok:

212man
11th Mar 2008, 13:31
...waiting for a Skycrane to position from West Germany to lift it out; amazing machine, even then

Yes, they come in useful for picking Sikorskys out of fields :E

Thridle Op Des
11th Mar 2008, 15:15
Not forgetting DD and NW's double engine failure at 4000' inbound to ABZ in a 332L - supposed icing, They successfully restarted. Tragically NW was killed a few days later in the family car on the way south. RIP - lovely guy.

TOD

sispanys ria
11th Mar 2008, 15:49
One French Puma had dual flameout due to icing in south of France resulting in a 6000 ft IMC autorotation with a pilot focused on faulty primary horizon.
Ended in a field with a bent landing gear.

skadi
14th Mar 2008, 16:29
Several years ago a german CH53 with several journalists on board lost both engines on an IFR Flight somewhere in southern Germany due to icing. They managed the autorotation to an open field, cloudbase was around 500ft GND! No one was hurt!

skadi