PDA

View Full Version : Jar-fcl Mpl(a) ?

acuba 290
9th Mar 2008, 23:10
after reading section K in new LASORS 2008, still don't understand purpose of MPL... What kind of licence is that? Something between ATPL and CPL? Who needs this licence? Is it enough to fly as FO in airliner and easy to get to compare with CPL or ATPL?

tristar3
9th Mar 2008, 23:23
As far as I understand it the new MPL is designed to train F/O's to operate a specific type for a specific airline.

Its the first real change to flight training since 1944 and is designed to teach the skills required to operate a modern airliner. (IE Managment, auto flight and muti-crew). Rather than wasting expensive aircraft time operating single crew and shooting NDB approaches, the time is spent in a simulator of the aircraft you are going to operate and learn more about its systems and how to handle them.

There has been a lot written about MPL and also a lot of rubbish. Bear in mind that there are many vested interests out there with large investments to protect.

The present system of training is not designed to allow 250 hour pilots into the RHS of a modern jet, and although a lot make it, it is a huge jump from the basic training.

Whether the MPL is the right way to go, time will tell. The first courses are running and initial results are very good (see Stirling Denmark).

The main problem is going to be for self sponsored pilots who are unable to pass the initial assesment, but then maybe they should not be doing it anyway. Not all of us who want to be airline pilots are going to make and its probably better to find out before you spend 50K plus.

acuba 290
10th Mar 2008, 11:26
i don't understand if you can be captain later just with MPL or you still need ATPL?

tristar3
10th Mar 2008, 16:28
The short answer is no.

To be a captain you still have to hold an ATPL and meet all of the requirements.

The idea is that once you have reached 1500 hours you will then study and sit for the formal ATPL exams (probably some credit given for the training already recieved). In a way it is a step back to the old days when you could not hold an ATPL until you had 1500 hours and there was no FATPL. First Officers then studied whilst line flying and took a break for a short refresher course and to sit the exams. As far as practical training goes I would envisage a system whereby there would be ongoing review of the canditates performance. Also it must be remembered that normaly you wouldnt even look at a jet command until you had at least 5000 hours.

db16
10th Mar 2008, 16:30
Quite simple really. The MPL is a starter licence and you will always need 1500+ hours, 500 on type AND an ICAO ATPL to get a command . db16

acuba 290
10th Mar 2008, 16:41
ok, let me ask otherway:
Lets say after passing all 14 exams, to get a RHS job which licence cheaper and easier to make: FATPL or MPL? I understand, that in any case MPL needs still ME and IR, so what is difference? Integrated MCC inside MPL training and more sim in syllabus or what?

tristar3
10th Mar 2008, 21:38
The MPL will not be cheaper or any easier than the traditional route, just more relevant to what you will be actualy doing.

All of the requirements are listed in Lasors and JAR's.