PDA

View Full Version : ppl training New Hampshire

mesh1matrix2000
9th Mar 2008, 17:20
Anyone got information on training with C R Helicopters in New Hampshire

EN48
9th Mar 2008, 20:46
I did a part of my PPL at CR in 2007. A small but OK flight school. My only issue is that all the instructors were low time - a few hundred hours tops when I trained there Jan-Mar, 2007. As one veteran instructor has described it: "Students teaching students." If you must learn in a Robinson, ask that Steve Kelly at CR be your instructor. He is the most senior instructor (and now with much more time) there and a good friend.
(In fairness to young instructors, I must say that I did my Instrument-Airplane rating many years ago with an instructor who was age 19 at the time. He did an absolutely suoerb job, better than many of the more senior instructors I have worked with (and is now a United Captain). I am now much older, and beleive that there are many more ways to get into trouble in a helicopter (compared to an airplane) so these days I look for grizzled veterans for instructors. Different strokes for different folks!)

After doing about 25 hours at CR, I elected to go elsewhere for several reasons (none reflecting dis-satisfaction with CR):

1. After reading extensively about safety issues with the R22, I no longer felt comfortable flying this acft, especially solo.
2. My intent was to move on to a turbine helicopter immediately, so I felt that getting substantial turbine training on the way to PPL(H), CPL(H) and Instrument(H) would help with proficiency and insurance.

I elected to continue my training at Sharkeys Helicopters at Lebanon, NH, even though CR is located at my home airport. My instructor is Roger Sharkey, a 20,000+ helicopter veteran who has been at it for more than 30 years. We are training in the Enstrom 480B, in which I did my PPL last June. Sharkeys is a 135 operator with a fleet of Bell and Enstrom (piston and turbine) helicopters. This has real benefits for someone who wishes to get a broader exposure to the helicopter world. On the way to my ratings, I have also flown the Bell 206 and the Bell 407, opportinities not available at a Robinson only flight school. There have been other less tangible benefits as well. Roger is well connected in the helicopter world, and I have learned a great deal sitting at the lunch table with various helicopter pros and FAA types while training at Sharkey's.

The "downside" of training at Sharkeys: it costs a lot more to train in a turbine (although one could elect to train in a piston Enstrom at Sharkey's for much less), and its almost 200 miles roundtrip from my home base. Despite these negatives, I have made the trip on avearge once a week for the last 12 months because I am extremely pleased with the quality of the training and the quality of the equipment I am flying.

Addendum: I just noticed that you are located outside the NH area. If you are contemplating a highly concentrated training program in the US, CR would likely be better able to handle this, as training is their only business. However, if Sharkey's is of interest, give them a call and see what they might be able to do.

mesh1matrix2000
9th Mar 2008, 21:26
EN48

Thanks for your help. I have already experienced student teaching student to my cost and don't need a repeat of that experience. I looked at Sharkeys website unfortunately they are to expensive for my budget.

EN48
9th Mar 2008, 21:43
In fairness to young instructors, I must say that I did my Instrument-Airplane rating many years ago with an instructor who was age 19 at the time. He did an absolutely suoerb job, better than many of the more senior instructors I have worked with (and is now a United Captain). I am now much older, and beleive that there are many more ways to get into trouble in a helicopter (compared to an airplane) so these days I look for grizzled veterans for instructors. Different strokes for different folks!

I would urge you not to write off CR without further exploration. I am confident that you will recive safe, competent instruction. I think that you wull find that many Robinson flight schools employ low time instructors, including their own former students. I will be happy to put you in touch with Steve Kelly of CR by email or phone if you wish.

mesh1matrix2000
9th Mar 2008, 22:11
EN48

Thanks His email would be handy.

EN48
9th Mar 2008, 22:25
PM sent with email address

mesh1matrix2000
9th Mar 2008, 22:42
EN48

Thanks for your help