PDA

View Full Version : Highland Airways Pilot Sponsorship Open

Ewanc
9th Mar 2008, 16:32
To all who haven't heard...the Highland Airways Pilot Sponsorship scheme is now open to appliations. Send them in quick as competition is tight and time is short. Visit the website for more details.

www.highlandairways.co.uk (http://www.highlandairways.co.uk)

Good Luck,

Ausfug.

poss
9th Mar 2008, 18:39
Well spotted Ewanc. In our flying club house we have an advert for that from a few years ago and I was keeping an eye out for when it started up again.

ZuluWhiskey
11th Mar 2008, 02:16
I've no idea why, but interest in this scheme has dwindled since its conception a few years ago.

First intake - Approx. 200 applications
Second intake - Approx. 70 applications
Third intake - Approx. 40 applications

Total cadets to date: 4

Maybe the dramatic drop in applications has been down to a culture change amongst wannabes recently, with the CTC and Netjets schemes churning out so many pilots for less effort and a bit of debt. Who knows. Granted, the Highland scheme isn't for everybody but what I do know is that it offers the right type of person a heck of a lot in return for some extra effort.

In return for 18 months work as a cadet (working in ops and performing other duties) the company will provide the following in return for a bond lasting 5 years and not more than £75,000.

During the first 18 months with the company:

- Hour building from PPL (45 hours) to 175+ hours.
- ATPL ground school and all exam fees.
- Accommodation in Inverness.
- Night rating.
- IMC rating.
- £300/month salary.
- Travel to ATPL ground school and accommodation.

During months 18 - 24

- CPL.
- IR.
- MCC.
- Type ratings (J31, J41, F406, Islander).
- All accommodation and travel.
- All exam and licence fees.
- £300/month salary.

The only thing a cadet has to pay for, which is training related, is medical renewals.

After two years training, for the following five years you have a guaranteed job, which should encourage a quick route to command (as this is why the company primarily has the scheme) and plenty of opportunities for the cadet to become involved in other company roles. The cadet pays absolutely nothing for all of this and could easily amount to a value in excess of the £75k bond. Obviously not including all the skills learned during the first 18 months, which a normal modular student could never get close to learning. By this I mean skills such as, flight planning, crew travel, rostering :hmm: , checking in passengers, commercial work, customer services, these are things that some crew never get a chance to experience but surely lead to a more rounded pilot. Oh and not to mention regular flying from the RHS on F406 on regular newspaper delivery routes and also on charters to Europe and all round the UK.

This type of cadetship is for someone who wants a varied hands on flying job and doesn't mind living in the north of Scotland. If you want to work for a company who does scheduled passenger services, reconnaissance, newspaper/mail delivery, corporate shuttles, and passenger/freight charter and don't want to pay a penny for your training......

GET AN APPLICATION IN!! :ok:

Tonka Toy
12th Mar 2008, 18:53
ZW, if they are not applying they are not worth it. I am sure we will get to a point when the quality of experience found at Highland will be like gold dust. Give me a Highland type everytime, you can keep the ready mix button pushers!

poss
12th Mar 2008, 19:02
Highland is definitely one of the best schemes out there. It is a shame not many apply but as you say they just aren't interested in flying anything other than a jet.

rleungz
12th Mar 2008, 22:55
Hey,

Even though it states that you need a PPL. How many hours on your PPL do you need for a chance of being selected?

Ric
P.S. This is a really good scheme and I love the Jet stream so I'm not even fussed about getting on a 737 yet.:}

Will88
12th Mar 2008, 23:02
As long as you have a PPL you are in with a chance. No minimum hours as such.

x933
13th Mar 2008, 20:47
So, any takers for this then?

AlphaMale
13th Mar 2008, 21:41
I'd love to do it. And I think it's a great sponsorship.

I'm studying for my PPL exams at the moment in order to carry out my PPL during my 4 weeks off work in June.

I just turned 26 (so over the upper age limit ... although they say they are quite flexible) and I also have a degree behind me which may help.

Hold a valid PPL (A) Will have by July
Hold a valid Class One JAR Medical Attainable
Be aged between 18 and 25 years of age* Might have a chance?
Hold a valid UK Driving License Got
Be in possession of the right to live and work within the EU Got

I'd be more than happy flying Jet streams for 5 years+ too :ok:

SYYHerring
13th Mar 2008, 22:00
If they think your capable, age slightly above the limits will not put them off, not having a PPL or medical will. To get an interview you MUST have a PPL and class one medical, and to be honest, its not that much effort to get one (a medical) if you are genuinely interested in the sponsorship scheme or commercial flying in general. It will show you are keen if you have all the boxes ticked and more...
Good luck,
SYY

MikeSamuel
14th Mar 2008, 12:29
Atlantic Airlines in Coventry also operate a similar setup which is pretty much always open to applications, with intakes approx. every 6 months. I believe the form is available through the Atlantic Flight Training website.

Clockwork TriStar
14th Mar 2008, 17:47
I'll definitely mention this scheme to a couple of PPLs I know as I think it is a great idea and it looks like a good company to work for. Met one of the existing cadets when I went for an Interview there last year and he seemed to be having a ball. While I did not get the job the staff I met, in particular, the Chief Pilot and Flight Ops Director, were really helpful and I'm sure the flying would be great fun too.

hingey
15th Mar 2008, 21:55
I've no idea why, but interest in this scheme has dwindled since its conception a few years ago.

First intake - Approx. 200 applications
Second intake - Approx. 70 applications
Third intake - Approx. 40 applications

Highland isn't the only sponsorship with dwindling numbers of applicants...

Less and less people seem prepared to work for what is in fact a fantastic opportunity. 18 months of lugging boxes, driving and ops shifts doesn't appeal to many, especially those who don't realize there could be 5 years of having 3 jobs, working twice as hard just to pay off the training debts. I guess it's difficult to sell these schemes to people when the FTO's are painting a rosy, glamorous picture of shiny jets with big salaries. Just had one guy leave Atlantic because it was "too hard".

Shame you didn't come to Coventry Ewan, could really use a guy like you!

h

MMEMatty
17th Mar 2008, 17:42
Been up to Inverness once, its nice if you like rolling hillsides and cloudbases on the deck...

the "fugly" schemes, whatever facet of the old Atlantique company they represent are awesome opportunities, i cannot comprehend what is so unappealing about a few months hard work and all your training paid for, and a guaranteed job at the end of it.

still, as one odious little 19 year old once said to me "why should i work for Atlantic for 18 months to get them to pay for my training when i could pay for it myself then go out to Dubai and earn 50k a year"

Matty

Ivor_Novello
17th Mar 2008, 18:29
The website says the training is likely to take place between Inverness and Bournemouth, but it's not clear where the of ops duty will be based ? I presume Inverness, but it's actually not specified.

GASH !
17th Mar 2008, 18:52
This is a great scheme for someone who loves flying and doesn't mind getting their hands dirty. I think I trained the first Highland Fugg for his CPL he was miles ahead of the typical cadet I'd seen and trained at other places.

At the moment I have 2 Atlantic Recon (RVL) guys for their IR's. Again, these guys are fantastic pilots, awesome handling skills and incredible mental capacity. I'm not sure of the exact process they go through to get on the scheme but it certainly works. Of the cadets I've seen, these guys are the best of the best. The other thing that really comes across is how much they appreciate the training. I guess a few months of car park duty, washing cars, and sweeping hangar floors reminds them how lucky they are.

Thank God it's left up to them to fly single crew, low level over the sea at night! in a 406. Any takers ? :ok:

Cheers

newcomer
17th Mar 2008, 20:11
Single Pilot, low level at night - I know where crazy but not that crazy.

x933
17th Mar 2008, 21:35
Okay. So the choice is...

1. Low level, night time single pilot. Proper seat of the pants flying with no margin for error, over amazing (though allbeit a *little* bit deadly) Scenery.

Or

2. Tooling along at FLSubOrbital on the way to the dogged end of nowhere, wondering how much is going to be left by the time the bank's had their cut to pay back that mighty loan for CPL+IR and the type rating that you had to pay for, watching the computer tick down the miles, having exhausted conversation with the pilot and read every single piece of newsprint published.

Application form is going in the post this week.

AlphaMale
17th Mar 2008, 21:46
Why couldn't I have done my PPL last summer :rolleyes:

I guess I could wait until they have their next scholarship :ok:

Good luck x933.

nickmanl
17th Mar 2008, 22:26
Silly question perhaps but why do they specify you need a PPL before hand?

BerksFlyer
17th Mar 2008, 22:49
Silly question perhaps but why do they specify you need a PPL before hand?

Maybe because they want people who already have a proven interest in flying?

Or perhaps they want someone with proven hands on flying skills?

Or maybe to weedle the number of applicants down (though that looks unlikely looking at the steady decreasing number that they recieve).

I'd say the requirement of a driving licence is much more questionable, though obviously they send you on driving missions during the training phase.

Robbo0885
18th Mar 2008, 08:16
I have a mock skills test this weekend, and all going well, a few hours brush up. Next weekend, skills test. Cutting it a little fine if I want to be PPL qualified by 31st.....to apply or not to apply....which tick to put in which box....so frustrating!

nickmanl
18th Mar 2008, 10:03
Maybe because they want people who already have a proven interest in flying?

Or perhaps they want someone with proven hands on flying skills?

It raises an interesting argument in my eyes regarding the suitability of PILAPT testing etc versus hands on flying experience. Are they suggesting perhaps the tests used by OAA, Cabair etc are not up to scratch?

They would probably receive more applicants were they drop this requirement, allowing them more choice from a wider and more varied spectrum of prospective airline pilots.

Sounds like a good scheme nonetheless.

poss
18th Mar 2008, 10:40
If you have shown you are willing to spend your money and your time on working towards a pilot career for yourself it shows you are motivated and clearly know what you want. That motivation and willingness to spend own money on it provides a bit of security for Highland when they take you on.

Miles_JAN
18th Mar 2008, 11:10
Consider: Regardless of how close it *might* be - PILAPT testing ain't flying. 30-40min flying is A) Cheaper than PILAPT (on a small scale) B) actually shows up what your flying is like. At the end of the day play enough computer games and you can get through pilapt testing fairly unscathed...but there's no substitute for flying.

hingey
18th Mar 2008, 19:07
It raises an interesting argument in my eyes regarding the suitability of PILAPT testing etc versus hands on flying experience. Are they suggesting perhaps the tests used by OAA, Cabair etc are not up to scratch?

These schools are businesses, much like Highland and Atlantic. However the schools get their money from students, whereas the Cadet schemes cost the airlines money. It is therefore in the airline's interest to know that their money is being well spent. I'm not saying that the PILAPT tests are no good, but how successful would Cabair be if they only took on 5 students a year?

If you started as a Fugly without a PPL, the airline would risk spending several thousand pounds getting a cadet halfway through his training, only for the cadet to discover he doesn't really like flying or isn't any good at it. It goes without saying that if you start with a license, thats another 7K the company doesn't have to spend on you...

h

tupues
18th Mar 2008, 19:19
wtf is a fugly???

poss
18th Mar 2008, 19:26
I presume hingey means an unattractive candidate with the addition of f**k infront of ugly.

BerksFlyer
18th Mar 2008, 19:43
I think it's a good idea to have a PPL requirement, shows that the applicant is commited and is already into flying. Much less risk. Would be interesting to see the amount of applicants to the big FTOs if they were to have a similar requirement. But then again if you go integrated you don't even get a PPL, so I guess it wouldn't work.

tired-flyboy
18th Mar 2008, 20:20
My question is:

on the application it ask for the breakdown of hours, isn't P1 the same as solo are are they wanting to know the number of hours flying P1 after license issue?

secondly, what details do they need for exams passed?

ta

Ewanc
18th Mar 2008, 21:58
From what i can remember the details for the exams passed are just what grade/exam/mark you got.
A PPL comes in handy from the moment you start. We sometimes have the opportunity to fly crew around before they go off on their day's flying (Becky). Also apart from the actual flying involved with a PPL there is the theory, TAFs, METARs, general airlaw. It comes in handy knowing how to decode them when one the the Fisheries 406s ring up on the Satphone from 60N14W asking what the Stornoway TAF is.

Ewan

Will88
19th Mar 2008, 13:27
Tired-flyboy, I believe when they ask for P1 hours they are after post-licence issue stuff.

GrahamK123
19th Mar 2008, 14:56
Why is the scheme called Fugly?

Ewanc
19th Mar 2008, 15:14
Fugly is the un-official name for a Cadet, I think it comes from one of the early Atlantic cadets being called something rhyming with 'trucking ugly'.

Will88
19th Mar 2008, 15:18
'Cause all the original candidates were, apparently, effin ugly.

:8

This has naturally all changed now. Apart from Skippy and Bucket obviously.

Tui Hat Wearing Son
19th Mar 2008, 15:23
Steady on will.i.am! My Mum said I was the best looking boy at school! :{

Ewanc
19th Mar 2008, 15:32
Will.i.am, watch your tongue dog or i'll pimp you Westwood style..:=

hingey
19th Mar 2008, 17:14
on the application it ask for the breakdown of hours, isn't P1 the same as solo are are they wanting to know the number of hours flying P1 after license issue?

When asked for P1 hours, always put your total command time (supervised solo counts as P1)

I think it comes from one of the early Atlantic cadets being called something rhyming with 'trucking ugly'.

Don't suppose you Scots know the original Fugly do you...?

h

ZuluWhiskey
19th Mar 2008, 18:04
This has naturally all changed now. Apart from Skippy and Bucket obviously.

It seems getting a 99% average in the ATPLs hasn't provided macfug any modesty. :rolleyes:

Ewanc
20th Mar 2008, 13:16
Jealous ZW?? lol I know I am!! £50 what?:ok:

MMEMatty
21st Mar 2008, 15:48
ah the delicate sound of the McFugs...

Just as a matter of interest, how many of your candidates are going prematurely bald? we seem to have a lot of fugs that will soon be needing syrups, if you see what i mean...

matt_hooks
22nd Mar 2008, 00:40
Reckon they'd take me on as a CPL+ME/IR ? I'd quite happily work for 18 months for them, no need to pay for my training, for a guaranteed flying job at the end of it!

Ewanc
22nd Mar 2008, 15:52
Hi Matt, I think that you stand a good chance with a CPL/IR. It might speed up the process from this end. Its a bit of a grey area at the moment the whole cadet w/PPL/CPL issue. What are the general thoughts about initial fuglies with CPLs? PPrune speak to me....!!

Ewan

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Mar 2008, 16:20
Why on earth would you want to work in a non-flying role for 18 months just to get a job like that if you've already got a CPL/IR, matt hooks?

They spend all this money on the cadets just to get them on a 7 year bond, mainly so they can at least plan on getting two or three years in the LHS out of them later on, before they move on. Are you "really" sure you'd sign a 7 year bond for a 19 seat turboprop job if you already have a licence?

If I was in your shoes and had an 18 month plan to get a Highland job it would surely be better to get an FI rating, go next door (literally) to the aero club, spend a year there, get paid a better wage than the cadets and build up 1000 or so hours in the process - be polite to Nick, Linton, Alan and co and buy them a few pints on a Friday night - join Highland with 1,000 - 1,500 total time, do a year in the RHS and then go straight into the left. Better option for you and better option for them as well, it's captains they have trouble attracting / retaining.

MIKECR
22nd Mar 2008, 16:36
I think Luke hit the nail on the head there. Recent Highland recruitment would suggest its the 1000 hours guys theyre after. As is the case with most Regional's(Logan's, Eastern's, etc etc) they all have retention problems and need people with quick command potential. Low hours guys are out of favour, they take too long to get a full ATPL. Go for the FI, plenty people i've seen over the last 12 months disappearing of to all of the before mentioned.

silverknapper
22nd Mar 2008, 23:07
Good to see the sleepless nights not keeping you off the computer Luke!!
And as always good advice. FO's at Highland average just under 500 hours a year. An FI next door gets 900. And earns more or less what a HWY FO earns in the process. Therefore 10 months at HFS would take you to 1000 hrs. One year RHS and you have a command a lot quicker than going straight in min hours. And having had a hell of a lot more fun in that year than you would have otherwise had.
You have worked hard for your licence matt, don't sell yourself short.

matt_hooks
23rd Mar 2008, 10:41
Well, actually I wasn't thinking of working non-flying for 18 months, but wouldn't be averse to some hard graft round the place whilst flying at the same time. I've got to be a better training risk than an ab init person, or even a PPL, as the only cost would be the relevant TR. And the flying would looks interesting and bloody good experience!

I'm not Scotland based so would have to relocate, but I think the work in ops/ground roles would be good experience to put on the CV, and getting paid to fly too.

Good luck to the guys applying for the cadetship, it's a damn good start in the aviation world!

edited to add, I can do the "prematurely bald" bit, is that a qualifying requirement? :E

MikeSamuel
23rd Mar 2008, 22:00
I am NOT going bald! I just have an abnormal distribution of follicles, concentrated towards the back of my head!

At least I don't look like Woody Allen with a bout of giantism, and even more importantly, I'm not a scummy Northerner!

Gay. :ok:

MMEMatty
23rd Mar 2008, 23:03
Thats the biggest load of bollocks since "you'll make the April type rating, don't worry". Uneven distribution of follacles my ar$e!

All i'm saying is that the current crop of fuglies are starting to look a bit like "The Hills Have Eyes", thats all.

And its more Postman Pat than Woody Allan...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_03/p35CHARLTONS_468x334.jpg&usg=AFQjCNF6Dp2V614JbRA5eYDD8Saq25LECA

Tonka Toy
27th Mar 2008, 12:24
Your quite wrong there, that 'the hills have eyes' look is a standard requirement! Derrangement is a pre requisite for Highland its how we survive up there. Still all that time bunking off catching Z's on the fisheries crewroom lazy boys should help! - Eh boys!:ok:

Will88
27th Mar 2008, 16:15
Just as a matter of interest, how many of your candidates are going prematurely bald? we seem to have a lot of fugs that will soon be needing syrups, if you see what i mean...

All McFugs have full heads of hair, although some are fuller than others I suppose :E

matt_hooks
27th Mar 2008, 19:53
Ah the old "unusual follicular distribution" problem, I know it well.

I'm sure that as I get older gravity is acting upon my hair, causing it to fall through my skull and to sprout from all points south.

Ears, nose, chest, back, in fact the only place I have trouble cultivating a decent amount of growth is on my head. Sounds like I'm prefectly suited! ;)

Too low
3rd Apr 2008, 11:00
Argh, I came in England for that kind of scheme (and I have this one especially in sight).
And they open the selection just at the same time I finally got a job :{.
I really hope they'll reopen a session soon, my 25 are not far...

Lima Foxtrot
3rd Apr 2008, 23:00
How long till we start to hear from them about whether we've got an interview or not?
I put an application in, got a letter of reciept and am now just eagerly awaiting words of "come on up to INV" or "go away!"

Aaronhewit1980
4th Apr 2008, 20:12
Got in touch with Highland today and the cut off date was the 31st March with interviews starting the week of the 7th Apr. Gutted just missed the cut I think. Has anyone been sucessful through this route. I'm looking at re-locating to the NE of Scotland and this would be an ideal option for me but how one is supposed to survive on 300 notes per month is beyond me but alas we shall see. It appears to be a very good route into ATPL and one I'm certainly going to look at. With a wife and child it may prove to be the most lucrative as Mrs H isn't to happy at the prospect of spending 60K+ on my flying dreams haha. Anyone know of any other avenues similar to this one???

JONNY99
4th Apr 2008, 21:56
yeah atlantic airlines, coventry has a similar sounding scheme. Think that may be it though - and air atlantique as well actually

Will88
5th Apr 2008, 07:12
Aaron,

£300 per month doesn't sound like a lot, but the fact that they provide accomodation and pay all the bills means that all you really have to buy is food and petrol... you're below the tax threshold too, which is nice :E

Obviously, having a family that you have to provide for may change things a bit.

Aaronhewit1980
5th Apr 2008, 19:39
Thanks Will, yeah when you pu it like that it doesn;t sound to bad at all. Way I see it is that with the opportunity to gain all the licences i'd need to fly it be an ideal way to get off and running. Might fall short on the age thing but we'll wait and see how it goes in the future. serving in the military I;m not afraid of a bit of hard graft to get where I want to be. I'm robably among the minority on here who'd actually relish in flying turbo prop, island hopping for a good few years. Sound grea to me but as I said we'll wait and see. Fingers crossed I'm what they're looking for. Total coincidence that my wife and I are keen to live up that neck of the woods anyway. Cheers for the comments though.

MikeSamuel
5th Apr 2008, 22:11
Hi folks,

Atlantic Airlines have recently seen two Fugs (Cadets) leave, mainly in my view as they didn't quite fit the profile of this specialist job. I would say now is as good a time as any to apply, so...

If you have (or nearly have):

A PPL (either NPPL or JAA should be OK)
A JAA Class 1 Medical
A driving licence
Are aged 18-26 (upper limit is flexible-ish)
Are enthuastic, energetic, open-minded, love flying and are willing to take a bit of HARD WORK.
And are able to live/work in the UK as a permanent resident...

Then go to this website: http://www.flyaft.com/contentok.php?id=74

Fill in the form and get it sent in. The scheme is undergoing some change at the moment - you may be offered a cadetship/training subject to a payback of a proportion of your training costs when you finish. However, this is still a great deal - you will be almost guaranteed secure flying employment for several years and it's FUN if you are happy to work hard in the short term while focussing on long term gain.

The scheme isn't traditionally advertised very publicly, and word tends to be spread through personal contacts and Atlantic Flight Training students. So, you've been spoon-fed the essential info...what are you waiting for?!

Atreyu
5th Apr 2008, 23:25
There's a bit of hard work and there is pure slavery! I was always told if it looks too good to be true then it most likely is and this is no exception. Lets be sensible, the only way into even a half decent airline RHS job is through the well established FTO's. Sorry to say it but that's the facts.:ouch:

Atreyu:ok:

matt_hooks
6th Apr 2008, 12:07
Atreyu, if the scheme doesn't appeal to you that's fine, but it's a valid, proven way of gaining good experience, not only of flying but of the industry in general. To say that "the only way into to RHS is through the established FTO's" is, to say the least, somewhat shortsighted.

To those applying, good luck!

stercus-accidit
6th Apr 2008, 13:46
MikeSamuel:
Atlantic Airlines have recently seen two Fugs (Cadets) leave, mainly in my view as they didn't quite fit the profile of this specialist job...

What is 'specialist' about this job? Are we talking about the RVL/Atlantic 'scheme'?

stercus-accidit
6th Apr 2008, 14:36
Thanks djfingerscrossed I see what you are saying.

Too low
6th Apr 2008, 20:44
Hi guys,
I need a little help to fill my forms.
Don't worry I'm not asking the answer to the question. But I don't understand what is the purpose of the question "It is important that students show complete dedication to the company at all times.
Please give an example of a situation where you have achieved a successful outcome through your own dedication."?
What is the exact sense of "dedication" here?
(I must precise that I'm french XD)

Too low
8th Apr 2008, 18:10
Ok, thanks for your help.
Another question: what are the P1 hours?

preduk
8th Apr 2008, 18:29
Too Low, do you have your PPL? If you do, you should know what P1 is.

Too low
8th Apr 2008, 19:22
Yes, I do... but sorry I don't know what P1 is.
I repeat: I'm french, I don't know if it's a specific english therm, but I've never heard about it.... :confused:

Will88
8th Apr 2008, 19:47
Too low, P1 hours are hours where you are in charge of the aircraft by your big bad self.

I believe what they want on the form is post-PPL issue stuff. Although when I completed the form I put pre-PPL solo hours as well, writing "1.5" in that column probably wouldn't have looked too impressive :O

Atreyu
8th Apr 2008, 20:50
Well as someone who was part of the Atlantique Fug scheme for two weeks my opinion may be of interest to anyone applying to these schemes...:= I think the clue lies within the 'two weeks' part. It is NOT suited to many people. Pm me if you need more info.

ZuluWhiskey
8th Apr 2008, 21:19
But this isn't the Atlantique Fug scheme Atreyu. You're implying that the Highland and Atlantique scheme are the same when they're not, so I don't see how your opinion will be of interest in this thread. Despite being based on similar formulas, the two schemes are run quite differently. I'm in no way bad mouthing the Atlantic or RVL scheme, just implying that the Highland scheme is different. Highland people comment about their scheme and RVL and Atlantic people comment about theirs, simple. Sure these schemes aren't for everybody, they're hard work but there's enough info out there so that you should know what you're signing up for.

Potential Macfugs, who's got interviews next week? Go and find out what it's like from the horse's mouth!

stercus-accidit
9th Apr 2008, 07:55
so I don't see how your opinion will be of interest in this thread

Crap. People may wish to evaluate either or. In any case, any opinion, especially from someone with direct experience may help others.

If necessary we could have a separate thread for each scheme though. Personally I wouldn't want to be be tarred with the RVL / Atlantic recon brush if I were working for Highland airways.

I know the RVL scheme isn't all it's cracked up to be.

b.a. Baracus
9th Apr 2008, 09:42
anyone heard anything from HA yet?

Atreyu
9th Apr 2008, 11:13
All wannabes who are interested in this scheme,

Please don't think this some sour grapes, I probably didn't word my posts very well but for the record; if this scheme is for you, great! I had a bad experience personally with an affiliated company so regardless of what ZuluWhiskey has to say, my opinion may be of interest to you. Undeniably, my opinion will seem negative, and it's hard to look at something objectively when it seems too good to be true! But it's better to be armed with information from sources that are for AND against, it'll help people make a more informed decision.

If it's for you then good luck and ignore whatever I have to say, If you're unsure and need more info PM me.

Regards

Lima Foxtrot
10th Apr 2008, 22:55
Hey - just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? Their website hasn't been updated and still says interviews anticipated to have started on the 7th of April - I really want a YES/NO interview answer and soon!:confused:

Lima Foxtrot
11th Apr 2008, 06:57
Franz - True!:ok:

danbutler
11th Apr 2008, 14:20
When did you get the e-mail? So far, I've just had a letter acknowledging that they have my application. Hopefully that's not a bad sign!

stercus-accidit
11th Apr 2008, 14:34
In order to avoid confusion between different schemes and conditions there is a new thread here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4040678#post4040678) for the RVL / Atlantic Recon cadet scheme.

Lima Foxtrot
11th Apr 2008, 17:29
Hey Dan,

I'm the same as you - just had a letter acknowledging they'd got my application - I've a sneaking suspicion that if they'll send a letter to acknowledge reciept they'll send another with a yes/no answer for interview

danbutler
11th Apr 2008, 17:43
That's just what I'm thinking. Every morning brings an anxious wait for the postman!!

Too low
14th Apr 2008, 18:11
Sorry to come back with my silly questions:
But I still have a problem to understand, what are the P1 flight hours!
And also what is the difference between P1 and solo flight hours?
I found that http://www.pprune.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-188112.html
but it's not very clear...
Can someone help me? :ugh:

JONNY99
15th Apr 2008, 10:28
Not sure myself. I would say that solo is just solo time before you get your ppl whilst under training and p1 would be this time plus whatever else youv'e flown as captain or PIC since.

hingey
16th Apr 2008, 12:29
Solo is literally solo, on your own. Having non- licensed passengers on board still counts as solo, even though other people are the aircraft. The point is you are the only person on board qualified to fly the plane. P1 hours can be accumulated in a multi crew environment, when you are the captain. If you pass a flight test you log it as P1/S for Pilot in Command under Supervision. This still counts towards your total P1 time. In your log book there is a column for Command hours, and you can count Solo and P1 hours in this total.

h

Too low
16th Apr 2008, 18:15
Ok, thanks for your explainations.
On my french log book, On Single engine I only have "Double" or "captain" colunms....
So as a basic private pilot, without multi-crew hours, I have no P1 hours right? :suspect:

newcomer
16th Apr 2008, 19:29
As far as Im aware P1 and solo are the same. Solo is something you do as you train to gain the required exp to issue a licence. After 2500hr and 400hr turbine that means I have got 0hrs P1 since ive got no multi crew time. P1 is just Pilot in command of an aircraft. So if your own your own or you have passengers in the back you should be logging P1 time. I have an Aussy logbook and its all under PIC.

mad_jock
16th Apr 2008, 20:19
This logging business really does seem to create problems. It doesn't help that the Brits seem to move between the various names sometimes in the same sentence.

If you have no multi crew hours.

All your time will have been as follows. I will use JAR terms with the old UK terms in brackets.

1. Dual. Instructor is sitting next to you, you are training or doing a club check or anything where the instructor signs for the aircraft in the tech log.

2. PIC (P1). YOU sign for the aircraft in the tech log. It can be solo or with your mum and dad or even with another pilot sitting next to you. The big thing is that you have signed for the aircraft.

3. PICUS (P1 U/S). Any flight test which has been passed with an examiner for the purpose of rating or license. If you fail it will be Dual. The examiner signs for the aircraft and you put them down as the PIC in your log book but you can add it to your PIC totals with a PICUS comment and a signature from the examiner in the remarks for the flight.

4. Instructor. You have signed the tech log and are PIC for the purpose of instructing or sharing the hours which isn't unheard of.

5. SPIC. This is a special for intergrated courses which I don't know much about. Those that can log it follow the advise of the instructors.

I will leave the joys of logging Co-pilot (P2) and PICUS (P1 U/S) for another day in Multi Pilot Aircraft because if you think the debate on logging stuff in a Single Pilot Aircraft is contensious you should see the arguments on logging the multi crew stuff.

For reference http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591

Section A appendix B

Too low
17th Apr 2008, 07:22
Thanks for this very clear answer mad_jock!
In the link you gave I found: Note: in civil terminology PIC and P1 are the same
So now, I just have to highlight what are the "solo" hours.
I would think it's the hours when your alone on board, but flying under the suppervision of the instructor? As for the first solo navigations in preparation of the ppl?...

Edit: I found that as well:
Student pilot flying as the sole occupant of an aircraft during training for the grant of a PPL or CPL.

Enter time in ‘P1’ column.

:ugh:
I think the best thing to do now is to call highland airways to have an answer....

Edit2:
‘Solo flight’ means a flight on which the pilot of the aircraft
is not accompanied by a person holding a pilot’s licence
granted or rendered valid under this Order.
I'm definitively lost *sigh*

Lima Foxtrot
18th Apr 2008, 07:06
Right - for the everlasting solo/p1 saga they are one and the same. Regardless if you are with someone in the aircraft if they don't have some kind of nice little book from a CAA then you are P1/Captain/Solo/PIC all at the same time.

If you are training towards an additional rating/are having a check flight for currency or are doing something which you don't have the qualifications to do but are accompanied by an instructor that can then you are P.u/t

P2 never ever comes into it as all single engine aircraft are single crew so you are either P1 or not basically (unless training)

Also - anyone heard anything yet? Until I get a firm yes/no for interview I'm just putting off the Bristol GS till then - and I really want to crack on!
Their website hasn't been updated and the last I got from them was a letter saying "We anticipate holding interviews mid-April and will let you know if you are selected to attend". (that was on 17th March)

silverknapper
18th Apr 2008, 16:29
No point in putting off the groundschool. If you don't get in you will have wasted time. If you do get in you still have to do it, why not make a dent in it now. Once you're working 14 hour days you will kick yourself that you wasted time.

Lima Foxtrot
18th Apr 2008, 21:36
I'm keen make a dent in it - just not £3k worth of keen should i get in and could end up with it for free so to speak:confused:
More of the opinion of give it another week or two and should nothing be forecoming in the post then will try a phone call and should that not work then off I trot to Bristol!:cool:

silverknapper
19th Apr 2008, 10:21
Module 1 is £1300. If nothing else if you get an interview you will be showing willing. You must have budgeted it anyway. Also it could be done full time in a couple of months max if you put your 100% effort. Would be nice to have it out the way, well worth £1300.

Lima Foxtrot
19th Apr 2008, 22:59
Tis true but I've already invested 3 years of my life in aviation starting out as an aircraft cleaner, and slowly working my way up now in ops.
Through this soloed on 16th birthday, licence in hand just after 17th and have recently just crossed the 130hr border - would have thought that would be commitment enough!

silverknapper
20th Apr 2008, 00:34
Only offering you some friendly advice - take it or leave it I really don't care. You seem to think you may be the only one with some hours on a PPL. I can tell you you aren't. Indeed past successful candidates have had multi ratings, all groundschool done, all hour building done.

Good Luck

Lima Foxtrot
20th Apr 2008, 07:26
Thanks for the heads up:ok: I fully understand that I won't be the only 18 year old with a couple of hours behind me, or that I'm completely unique in terms of those applying, however I may be tempted to say I'll be one of the few that has gained his/her hours through hard graft - when I started as an aircraft cleaner I cycled to the airport (12 miles:eek:), when I was 16 I got a moped specifically for that and despite it being quicker and far easier was still bloody freezing in the winter! My hi-vis waterproof trousers ended up being patched with duct tape on the knees I came off so much in the few winters I had it! I worked through the winter when it was so cold that the water froze onto the underneath of the aircraft I was cleaning, I think that for someone so young (relatively) to have already shown the commitment and dedication that I have towards a career in aviation I could be a real asset to Highland - phew! any thoughts?!

Atreyu
20th Apr 2008, 16:06
hahahahahahahaha

b.a. Baracus
23rd Apr 2008, 14:22
any news/updates ?

Lima Foxtrot
23rd Apr 2008, 21:34
Hey,

Just got an email today saying I'd got to the group interview stage :)- Friday 2nd May 0930 up at Inverness

Anyone else heard anything +ve/-ve?

danbutler
23rd Apr 2008, 23:48
Nothing here yet. Here's hoping tomorrow brings some good news!

SYYHerring
2nd Oct 2008, 18:08
Rumours are about..the 2008 scheme is going to be open very shortly, send in apps as per the website. Looking for a November start date? Who knows.

G-BFUN
2nd Oct 2008, 19:02
Hey
I'm confused because I keep a very keen look out for this and it states on the web site.

Cadet schemes

Pilot

The 2008 scheme is now closed

I know they say they will aim to recruit cadets every 9 months, but do you seriously think they may be starting again with lots of experienced guys out there?

b.a. Baracus
2nd Oct 2008, 20:55
I can't imagine highland are going to open their doors to applications anytime soon. They only just took on cadets about 2 or 3 months ago. My bets would be April/May 09.

skintdad
14th Oct 2008, 19:28
I e-mailed them two weeks ago. They said they had intended to open the scheme for applications this month but are now reviewing the situation. I presume this is in the light of the absolute chaos in the financial and commercial environment. I suppose it makes sense if you don't know if your business' bank or creditors are going to go to the wall tomorrow! Perhaps Gordy and Geordie's nationalisation of the capitalist system will turn things around and let people get back to normal!!

They said to keep an eye on the web site for news.

As you can see from my pen-name it won't be me that is applying but a certain relative who has no debt aversion as long a it is at the bank of Dad!:hmm:

silverknapper
14th Oct 2008, 19:40
Who did you communicate with?

skintdad
16th Oct 2008, 19:55
The e-mail address on the web page with the cadetship details; Yvonne Stewart, HR adviser, Highland Airways, she replied 24th September 2008.