PDA

View Full Version : UK citizen

expatron
9th Mar 2008, 15:46
:ugh: Hey folks, the next could be a stupid question, but I would like to know if is necesary to be an UK or EU citizen to work in the North Sea. I have been in GOM, Africa and now in the ME, +15 years flying off-shore, ATP, S76, B412 and AW139 rated.
Thanks you all guys :ok:

Whirlygig
9th Mar 2008, 15:52
As far as I know, you'd need a work permit and your future employer has to demonstrate that they cannot find another person who does have a right to work in the UK with the same skills and qualifications to do the job. You would probably have to use a solicitor and it can be a lengthy process.

Cheers

Whirls

MartinCh
9th Mar 2008, 23:52
I presume you're over 30 (and not citizen of a country that has working hols programme with UK) and from the US ie with US passport. It might be bit easier to come to the UK as Aussie on WHV and then switching to HSMP, but..

I'd like to get one of those. It'll make things easier. Flight training and some work in the US in the coming years... I'd give you one of my EU passports in return :-P

As Whirls mentions, UK has a bit strange immigration system. Still better than American (ie 'wetbacking' across border or being allowed only as PhD, padre of some religion, IT, Med etc guy, or plain lucky to be legal without marriage to US citizen).
But I can tell you that most UK nationals or even EU nationals have no first hand experience and know-how about skilled visa and immigration paperwork for non-EU citizens as they don't have to do it. Unless they have friend who does.

As non-EU national, have a look at HSMP. Or rather, as I just found out, the new point based system is starting next month. Therefore, as they call it, 'Tier 1 - general' will soon be available for applications from outside of Europe.

I presume it'll be more 'user friendly' compared to HSMP, standing for Highly Skilled Migration Programme. It's about earning certain income and more, having sponsoring employer etc. Anyway, it won't be of any use to you.

I started to calculate something for you, but as I don't know about your highest level of education, earnings etc, you'd have to check yourself.

BIA Home Office Tier 1 general migration guide PDF (http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/tier1genpolicyguide.pdf)

One option is to get fiance visa and get married to UK citizen. Easiest and fastest for UK passport. Or defacto aka common law relationship (understand same sax relationship properly registered in the UK)

Another is to be close family member, ideally spouse of EU national. If that EU national (old member states - 3+ months and 2004/7 accession states national working continuously for 1 year) living in the UK does registration certificate, you can get residence permit, called family member residence stamp (in passport) or residence card. There's little differences, one only legal stay, other right to work as well, look at BIA's web.

Another, to get EU passport. Marrying Italian gets you Italian passport pretty fast, not sure about residence requirements, if any.
Quite a few countries used to/still do grant citizenship to descendants of their nationals. For example Australia or NZ won't automatically give citizenship to second generation descendants living outside Australia/NZ, ie child of daughter of Australian citizen emigree unless they actually live in-country for some time.

That thing does not apply in case of some countries. There's loads of Portugese citizens in Brazil and other Latin/American countries. Even second or third generation. Poland for example as well. I met Polish citizen, Argentinian bloke in Ireland (very convenient after 2004 for hassle-free travel and work there) who had grandpa from Poland.

Ireland as well. I'm not sure how many generations, if more than three or four if they don't pursue citizenship/cit certificate one generation to another.
Example, Canadian guy with Irish passport in Spain who has NEVER been to Ireland. Grandparent Irish citizen.

Therefore, some countries actually adhere to 'Ius sangui' (too lazy to check Latin spelling) ie Law of Blood, giving citizenship rights to descendants of their citizens. If it's unconditional, it's pretty good way to go around work visas etc.

Having said those things above, one could be lucky and be married to someone who can claim EU passport (even if the other person does not have any chance of this), then send him/her to the UK, get registration certificate and voila..

Also, many Canadians and Aussies/Kiwis go the route of UK Ancestry visa.
Having UK citizen grandparent allows person to get 4 or 5 year so-called 'Right of Abode' residence permit which could be adjusted to ILR (indefinite leave to remain, something of a Green Card in the US) and citizenship soon after as well. I'm sure there's something allowing sponsoring family member or dependant when getting ROA. One has to check, it's not my 'specialty' knowledge.

I can only read as much as you on http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk and http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk

I had a quick glance at the guide.
From the most vague idea of yourself, you should pass the point system with flying colours (read COLORS in the US English).
As you are over 32 I presume, you'll have to have at least Bachelor's degree in order to get through.

in short, at least 75 out of 140 for pass. Age 0 for you, otherwise 5-20, funds (ie some peanuts to pay the rent first few months, GBP 800) 10pts, English proficiency, 10pts,
previous earnings (HERE THEY ARE, they want people who'd pay lots of taxes, as they obviously favour high earners), should be 45 points for GBP 40k pa. Little less if less cash. I doubt you earn less than that gross pa.

There's also 5 points for UK experience. Well.. You 0, like it matters :-)

Bachelors 30, Masters 40, PhD 50 points. Nothing about which skills.
As long as it's comparable, equivalent to some NARIC standard or so.

From what I can see, English speaking Masters or PhDs that are young can get to the UK without hassle. No employer sponsorship, no specific skills, no minimum experience. You don't need to be young, high earner with BA/BSc is just fine.

So pretty good news for you.

You should be able to file an application in few month's time and as long as you have little paperwork (contract, payslips, notarised copy or original of degree, birth certificate or some ID with age, nothing else comes to my mind as to what else they might want you to provide)

So much for their blah blah on TV about limiting and managing migration to the UK (as it's too late and impossible to manage the hordes of Polish) as this Tier 1 is gonna cause more troubles than benefits.

I'd call it f=-;'d up bleak version of Australian, no, just Canadian's enough, point system. Nothing resembling skimming the cream off international skilled labour supply, rather taking everyone who really wants to pay our application fees and high taxes/living costs and isn't too old and poor.
Sure, it'll make things easier for skilled professionals who don't bother looking for sponsoring employer and paying over the odds to 'consultancies'.

I'm sure North Sea operators would be delighted about this as high-timers as you might actually bother to come over and only fight with CPL/ATPL theory..

Enjoy

MartinCh
10th Mar 2008, 00:00
BTW, at least something Whirls is not so right about :-D
Didn't I say it minutes ago? One can know lots of things, but if they don't focus on something, they might not know.
Such vague idea and in the light of changes in the system, it could actually have had demotivating effect on you.

If you go for the Tier 1 application, check BIA for the 'start' they'd advertise on their website. I'm sure folks applying early will avoid the backlog that's usually up to half year in Home Office when dealing with some applications for ILR, visas etc. It got better over past year or two if I remember correctly, but you know what I mean.

No better time to apply. Just make sure you start distance JAA CPL or ATPL for helos. Work visa should be easy peasy then.

Sponsoring starting of my helo career via PayPal always welcome :-P

Hasta luego en Escocia

Whirlygig
10th Mar 2008, 00:16
Eh????? I may not have detailed the full facts as you did (being UK born and bred) but I don't think I said anything that was incorrect! :}

Cheers

Whirls

expatron
10th Mar 2008, 09:29
Thank you very much, both of you, I realize there are different options, so I could start getting my JAR distance theory and see what happen.
Cheers:ok:

MartinCh
10th Mar 2008, 11:11
expatron,

first check out BIA and Home Office yourself, get to grips with it. No point doing JAA theory if you find out it ain't easy/possible. I don't think you would, but it's all up to you. Just like not having (yet) JAA Class 1 and starting ATPL theory..

the only opinion in my posts are about the quality of the new system :-/

whirls,

that's exactly why. I never doubted your good will. I've seen your helping and matter-of-fact posts across PPRUNE regarding flying.

But as I stated, you're being who you are, are not likely to look into the ways how to get, stay legal and work legally in a country where you live all your life and therefore do not busy yourself with it.

You're giving expatron impression that it's too hard. It ain't.
'full facts' would mention only onshore foreign nationals on some kind of work permit or legal stay can apply for HSMP work permit. Also that there's huge changes announced and starting next month.
Sure, 'as far as I know' allows for a lot...

lengthy, hmm. couple months after submitting all necessary paperwork.
Can't tell details of HSMP, which required job offer in skilled job and at least 16k income or so in that job.
Being native speaker, no need to go through ESOL evidence, notarised translations of degree etc.

Yes, according to BIA HO docs, there's also 'Tier 2' which requires sponsoring employer,but it's lower skills and rather temporary work with lower quals and requirements from how I see it. Something of a independent vs sponsored regional immigration to Australia.
Now if you were Australian, you'd be right. The amount of time and paperwork required for their immigration visa IS pretty annoying. Use of MARA registered migration agent quite recommended.

BUT, using solicitor for the UK, especially in the system starting next month, isn't so necessary in my opinion. Even the stupid EEA1 form for applying for registration certificate (I got it after working continuously for a year finally as I got Slovak passport and similar new country's as well) allows for assistance in filling out whether lawyer or private person.
Why? Beyond my comprehension. Maybe for someone illiterate and not speaking English.

How many times did expatron join Green card lottery, being US citizen?
I'm sure he knows that there's zillions agencies that'll fill it out for you for a fee. Or, you can take details they ask you for and do it on dvlottery.state.gov and that's it. Simple as that.

Besides, my main research of immigration and residence visa is Australia, NZ and Canada. I know much more about these systems and keep myself updated with all recent changes.