PDA

View Full Version : RAF CompA ??

forget
9th Mar 2008, 14:33
I was explaining to a friend how well the ‘system’ can work if a servicemen with a relative at death’s door needs to be returned to UK. Is it Comp(assionate) A?

I remember reading of some classics here a while back, but I didn’t have an example to offer. Anyone?

November4
9th Mar 2008, 15:03
Yes 3 scales Comp A, B or C

Comp A - relative (parent, wife or child) not expected to live or death of wife or child.
Comp B - relative (parent) has died - returning for the funeral / help with affairs / support
Comp C - basically a priority indulgengee - death of grand parent

The Admin world have a table listing most cases and what category the person falls into. Army and RAF follow this but RN are (were) a law unto themselves on this as the ship's Capt could authorise the category.

For a Comp A, no expense is normally spared ie diverting aircraft, helicopter at destination airport for onward travel.

I have seen a Herc taxy into the bay next to a waiting Puma to onmove the Comp A. Another time, a 125 from 32(R) laid on to pick up a wife who was a Comp A, from Gib and fly to Glasgow - that saved 3 hours on the schedule GB / BA flights. In the good old days of Brit Rail, trains could ask Swindon to hold a train for a Comp B who would have missed it otherwise.

It is an excellent system as long as the Comp route is followed. Normally it went wrong when the Admin unit tried to short cut the system. In one case, again in GIb, the RN ship made someone a Comp A without telling anyone in the welfare organisations. It was left to the Regulators to arrange his flight back. There were no seats from Gib for a couple of days so he was left dangling. This depsite having a Movs unit in GIb. Once we heard about the case, a quick phone call to confirm and he was on the next flight from Malaga. Something the Regs didn't know was an option.

Sven Sixtoo
9th Mar 2008, 16:06
In the very early 1980s a naval chappie needed to get from his ship ( off NE Scotland) to home (Portsmouth). Comp A status.

Naval helo to Lossie, 2-seat Hunter to Southampton, fast car to home. About 3 hours end-to-end.

Rossian
9th Mar 2008, 16:47
I was in Naples in 1985 and required to get back ASAP. Same day afternoon flight to LGW, S61 to Heathrow, hold up with the shuttle to Aberdeeen re-routed to Glasgow, tarmac transfer to 748 up to Aberdeen, met by a taxi driver who said "I'm with you until you say 'stop' ". I was met and guided every step of the way and didn't have to think at all. Thanks to the organisation I made it back to my mother's bedside before she died. I'll always be in their debt.
The Ancient Mariner

C130 Techie
9th Mar 2008, 17:05
Been involved in a fair few Comps out of MPA over the years. The system works very well with all the stops being pulled to get things moving.

The biggest hitch was usually the Brazilian Immigration at either Sao Paulo or Rio. That and the MPA weather.

minigundiplomat
9th Mar 2008, 17:09
Was turfed out of bed at oh my god o clock at Bastion to take a comp A to KAF. 160 Kts and a quickstop to the back of a C17 (held) and the guy was on his way home. I'd be happy to do it anytime. There but by the grace of god.....

insty66
9th Mar 2008, 17:09
Worked for my family too.

We went on holiday and came back to find insty snr had been admitted to hospital with advanced & terminal stomach cancer.

I made one phone call to Innsworth and 15 hours later my brother had been brought back from Saudi and was at dad's bedside. Dad died a few hours later.

Both of us are ever grateful for the efforts of everyone involved in getting him back in time. I know dad was too.

He was flown back civvy as it was the first flight out. The driver supposed to pick him up was stuck in traffic so he phoned another station nearer the airport who sent out a driver who went and got him, he was met "airside" IIRC and driven straight up here, no need for him to do anything at all.

Once again a very public thanks to all involved in making an awful time just a bit easier.

So in my experience a brilliant system that should never be interfered with.

TMJ
9th Mar 2008, 18:06
I had a couple of lads needing to go back from the 'Deid when I was out there; in both cases they were on civaur flts within a matter of hours, with MT ready to pick them up on arrival and deliver them to where they needed to be.

Tiger_mate
9th Mar 2008, 18:21
I know of a Crewman whose wife was in labour at Hull with him at RAF Gutersloh when he got the call: He made it in time for the birth: just!

.....and an individual (Groundcrew) put in the back of a Jaguar (aeroplane) as the destination was not public transport friendly but had a convenient airfield nearby.

It is one of the few things we still do right, and lets hope that it stays that way, for as has been mentioned already....It could soon be our turn.

Always a Sapper
9th Mar 2008, 19:02
Brilliant system, does exactly what it says on tin and should IMHO never, ever be changed.....

Deepest Bosnia, 1994 when given the news (mother, hours to go, 2 days at the most) just before OC's evening prayers... pushed straight into the back of a landy and off to the nearest airport at Sarajevo to find a french Herc waiting, next stop Split. Met by the QM and 'De-bombed' on the pan, then straight onto the waiting R&R flight (thanks to the 'volunteer' who gave up the seat :ok: hope you made the next flight and passed the course) next stop BZN to be met by the CO's driver with the words I'm your driver, where to... collected wife and rug-rat on way past tidders, made it to the Hospital in Devon in time for tea.

Mother, bless, hung on for another week and I will be forever gratefull for all who made that extra effort. Thanks.

Wokka Tech
9th Mar 2008, 19:17
Excellent system, speaking as someone who was flown back to the UK recently as a Comp A to be with my Mother before she sadly passed away. I was given the option of an immediate flight to Heathrow, shuttle to Glasgow and a Helo trip from Glasgow to Perth. Opted for a flight into Edinburgh and a fast drive after that. Can't thank everyone involved enough.

Pontius Navigator
9th Mar 2008, 21:02
I was cateogorised comp C atlhough it would seem I should have been Comp B. It was onlythanks to my bank manager that I was cated at all.

As it happened a Comp A was going the same way so I was looked after to Manchester. I can't remember the short onward journey but I think some rules were bent.

My RTU was fun though. I had to hire a car, take maiden aunt to Berwick, drop car at Newcastle, train to Swindon via London and made the checkin with an hour or so to spare - ac u/s delayed 24hrs!

The next bit though was my unit had detached to Masirah. Landed at Akrotiri, shot out of movements, changed, packed KD & flying kit and continued to rejoin my unit.

Remember the Comp does include a return ticket.

Flying Serpent
9th Mar 2008, 22:06
Remember a couple from MPA in the 90's.

1) One of the boys on South Georgia needed to get back to UK asap. HMS ?? (poor memory) despatched at full pelt towards Gritvyken until in helo range for a pick up. Turn round and head back to MPA to offload matey when in range. C130 (engines turning) takes to Rio and then BA to LHR. Never heard after that but hope you made it in time.

2) Young WRAF COMP A in wee small hours but airfield weather clagged in. 200M Fog. C130 needed 400m IIRC. I hear metman managed to find that 400m and off she went too. She DID make it in time.

serpent

Spacer
9th Mar 2008, 22:26
The cats at the top of the page are slightly out of date. Comp B doesn't have to be someone died. Just someone who is VSI potentially.

Topsy Turvey
9th Mar 2008, 22:38
The system is at risk. The MoD is currently considering a proposal from the management of the Service Personnel & Veterans Agency to relocate the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC), who oversee the Comp system, from Innsworth to Gosport by the end of the year. This despite the fact the Army, who are taking over Innsworth are happy for the SPVA to remain. The liklyhood is most of the experienced civilian & ex military staff (who work 24/7) will leave resulting in a loss of knowledge and reduction in the service offered.

Seeing as the SPVA have introduced and manage JPA, I am sure we all have faith in their decisions and judgement! Only they could believe that at a time of heavy operational commitments it makes sense to move the JCCC.

TheInquisitor
9th Mar 2008, 23:06
So let me get this straight - they are proposing that the JCCC be managed by JPA?

Dear god, we're screwed.

I can see it now:

Bloggs: "I need to get home ASAP, my parents are dying"

JPAC: "I'm sorry, but according to the system you were created in a lab 12 weeks ago - therefore you have no parents"

Bloggs: "So what do I do now?"

JPAC: "Your case no is 123xyz - we'll get back to you within 10 days"

Bloggs: "*£$%"

Rather be Gardening
10th Mar 2008, 10:02
Topsy, you're right, a move would be a complete ocean-going disaster. It takes training and considerable experience to provide the service that JCCC does now, not just with the compassionate cases but also with the more complex and demanding casualty ones, which often require JCCC's action for a protracted time. I cannot speak too highly of the dedication and sheer professionalism of the staff there, who frequently put in time and effort above and beyond. The majority wouldn't move - their homes and families are local to Innsworth. Worth their weight in diamonds, every one.

Hope some of the gold braid brigade realise the potential for disaster - what's the point in moving it to Gosport anyway?

forget
10th Mar 2008, 10:16
Wow! I'm rather pleased I started this thread. I'm long past needing JCCC - but to disturb it would be criminal. Perhaps a Tri-Service petition needs putting together. But a proper job, not the half-arsed Downing Street web stuff. What's Michael Jackson doing these days? He's the boy to stop this.:ok:

larssnowpharter
10th Mar 2008, 10:38
The MoD is currently considering a proposal from the management of the Service Personnel & Veterans Agency to relocate the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC), who oversee the Comp system, from Innsworth to Gosport by the end of the year. This despite the fact the Army, who are taking over Innsworth are happy for the SPVA to remain.

OK. So someone is considering taking a tried and tested system that is run by dedicated professionals, that provides an excellent service to those who need it (the customers) and breaking it up by moving it elsewhere.

I wouldn't thought that the process of 'considering' this proposal would take long.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

forget
10th Mar 2008, 10:47
Just two good reasons why JCCC should not be re-jigged.

This can mean commandeering or redirecting aircraft - even Tony Blair and Gordon Brown have had to make other transport arrangements when their aircraft was used for a category A case.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/pdfs/publications/vets_world/vets_world_6.pdf

mckelvey
10th Mar 2008, 13:34
Absolutely, 1st class system that should not be messed with.

for those who have been involved in the categorisation, lets hear the funnies....

"young man in MPA who's grandmother was at death's door and who he wanted to see before the inevitable"

a few phone calls later and discovered granny had died on a number of occasions whilst young man was serving in not so popular locations!!!

and......

"married man in Gioia who's wife was having pregnancy problems which required his immediate return to sleaford"

a few phone calls later and discovered wife was sitting at home watching tv in perth and girlfriend was missing said individual in sleaford.

don't they think we might check before putting the world on hold for them......

please note that I am not knocking what is a fantastic system but just illustrating the humourous side to categorisation.

vortexadminman
10th Mar 2008, 22:10
Spent a lot of years flying comp A, not regretted one min of it ( including the fart o clock phone call) take that away and "manage it with targets etc etc" and we have really lost it.The VERY min we can do for our people is pull finger when one of their own is on last legs. Over all cost= god knows. Time spent doing it PRICELESS!!!
My two pennies worth.

Rude C'man
10th Mar 2008, 22:18
Crew'd in after a bloody long day with a great front end to fly up to Cardiff ( Civvy Park !!!)to drop one of the crewmen off for a dying Grand Parent. The Sqn kicked in when it needed to , all for one of the family. Been on several Comp A, B , Cs all over the world for various services and ranks , even had my cab brought back early when the wife was rushed into hospital during her pregnancy . Great system that works why change what aint broken?

splitbrain
11th Mar 2008, 18:51
Since having to use the system whilst stationed in Cyprus in the mid 90's, I can only say - if only the whole system worked as efficiently as this.

On the subject of short-cutting the system, my recollections are that not every individual posted or detached oversees was aware of it; I was given cards with the Compasionate Cell 24 hour number on them to give to my parents and in-laws. Yet when on Ord Sgt at Akrotiri I recieved a good number of late night calls from distraught relatives trying to get in touch with 'SAC Bloggs' because a family member was gravely ill and they needed Bloggs home ASAP. I made a point of ensuring I always had the Comp Cell number available when on duty NCO in case of such a call, because it wasn't always as prominently displayed in the MGR as IMHO it should have been.

Topsy Turvey
11th Mar 2008, 19:12
what's the point in moving it to Gosport anyway?

As far as I can see none. Given likely disruption in support to deployed personnel, reduced service to families, damage to casualty reporting system, loss of trained staff....... but then again, I believe the Chief Executive of the SPVA is an Admiral based at Centurion. Could there be a link?

I wouldn't thought that the process of 'considering' this proposal would take long.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Let's hope so, but I would not be so sure of the outcome with this Goverments track record!

Scribbly
11th Mar 2008, 22:59
Have dealt with several incidents as a blunty over the years but some are memorable - whilst on ex in Western USA I get a phone call in the wee small hours from JCCC (what stars they are) saying that Airman Bloggs' relative is very ill in the UK and he needs to come home soonest. They give me a classification for him and the phone number for the incredibly helpful people in DTMA (more unsung heroes). THere were no mil flights for several days so DTMA booked the next civ flights out of Sleepy Hollow and the connections to get him across the world to his local airport. His home unit had arranged a car to meet him at this airport, so when I met him for breakfast with the bad news and an itinerary, all he had to do was pack and get in the car as I took him to Sleepy Hollow airfield.
When you have been given the bad news that your nearest and dearest are not doing so well, the last thing you want to worry about is how you are going to get back to them from the other side of the world. JCCC and DTMA take all of that stress off you - leave them alone to do what they do best.;)

C130 Techie
11th Mar 2008, 23:10
When you have been given the bad news that your nearest and dearest are not doing so well, the last thing you want to worry about is how you are going to get back to them from the other side of the world. JCCC and DTMA take all of that stress off you - leave them alone to do what they do best.

That pretty much sums it up. It is not broken, it works extremely well, leave it alone!!

goudie
12th Mar 2008, 18:25
Some good stories here. Getting guys and girls back home in emergencies was always carried out efficiently with no fuss, even35-50 years ago!............................................. So I'm told!

BTDTGTTShirt
12th Mar 2008, 20:40
Ive been on the flying end of quite a few Comp cases in my time. It is realy good when you see the Comp Cell, DTMA, ASCOT Ops and the sqn crews all pulling in the same direction.
I remember on one occasion out of Kabul after a lot of faffing with dip clears we managed to join the pattern just in front of a Royal Brunai jet from LHR who took our comp on to Brunai.
On another we picked up a lad from Mas i Sharrif and got him to Bucharest 20 min before BA left for LHR. Unfortunatly he had an empty mag in his bag and local plod was not impressed and he missed the flight. I learnt about Comp A's from that.
Picked up another lad in Basrah to take him to Bahrain and remembering Bucharest asked the lad if he had anything to declare before going through a civvi airport. No says he. Just check all your kit says I. About 10 mins later he asked would I be able to look after a few spares for him. No problem says I.
ISTR in the old days that comp A was fastest possible means. If necessary that ment concord when it was still flying. Dont know what the rules say now though.
T Shirt

fantaman
15th Mar 2008, 20:26
A terrific system and long may it continue. I've seen loads since starting my OOA at the start of Feb. One I do recall is some poor lad stuck in KDH needing to get home to see his very ill mother.

Straight on a C130 to us. However, with no civil flights available back to the UK he went home in a specially chartered Hawker 800XP biz jet. Hope he got back in time :ok:

teeteringhead
17th Mar 2008, 12:26
Was a desky at Barnwood some years ago and the Duty Personnel Officer (DPO) was one of the most fulfilling jobs I've down outside of the cockpit.

Our one-star always briefed us: "if in doubt - do it and you'll be supported" - a bit less of that about in general terms these days I think. Two particular occasions I recall - one was me and one a was a mate. Both concerned the other way round to what has been mentioned - that is getting NOK to badly injured servicemen or wives of. I'll be a bit vague to protect anonymity....

First the mates - was to get parents to Germany. Parents were from West Country, but currently on holiday in Channel Islands - so passports still in Oggie-land. Parents contacted and flown back to Gatwick for Germany. meanwhile, details of passport location were passed to civpol who broke into the house (!), got passports and raced them up the M5/M4/M25 to Gatwick - and changing cars and coppers at a couple of force baoundaries on their way. Much credit to the Bill there too!

Mine was getting a Mum to Germany to comfort heavily preggers daughter whose husband had gone "missing presumed" on a faraway det. Only an address of Mum and no 'phone number, so 'phoned nearest RAF Station to pass message and get Mum to call me. No answer from SDO - well it was late-ish Saturday night, so in accordance with SOPs called the Staish - him Gp Capt me Sqn Ldr! Staish says he'll b*llock the SDO on Monday and do it himself. So (I hear later from him) he dons No 1 and goes to Mum's flat - to find she doesn't live there any more - but has sold to a mate who gives new address - off goes Harry to new address. Mum 'phones me and we sort the flight to Germany. Mum v. distressed and asks if hubby can come too. Slight drawing of breath (Hubby not reeely entitled) and say yes. Well actually, says Mum, he's my "common-law husband". Draws slightly deeper breath, say yes again and it's all sorted. And no comebacxk from the system, at all.....

I shudder to think what JPA - or any automatic system would do ....

BackfromIraq
17th Mar 2008, 19:09
Had to come back from KDH last year when my Mum died unexpectedly. It was Comp B but everyone except ASCOT Ops pulled all the stops out. 2 Comp As came back as well, their mates having fought their way out of the patrol bases to secure a new HLS after the existing one was compromised.

Huge respect for all involved from aircrew to lineys and the guys who helped to get their mates out. I knew what I was going back to, the other 2 didn't, and I really felt for them.

Ironically I'd been talking to my Canadian colleague the day I got the news about just how good our system is: she couldn't believe it. The Canadians' (and the Americans') is more a case of "All those with parents take one step forward...Smith where do you think you're going?" and then to let them try to find their own way back.

It was incredibly reassuring to know that everything within their power was sorted for me.

FlightTester
17th Mar 2008, 20:04
Got a call in 87 that we had to get one of the guys back to the UK. Tristar day so all was well. Unfortunately, said airman was over in Stanley playing rugby. No problem - bring wokka up to serviceable status in under an hour, get a scratch crew together and fly to Stanley landing in the middle of the pitch. Meanwhile, couple of lads dispatched back to accomodation to pick up chappies goods and chattels (and a spare set of clothes for him to change into rather than spending the entire flight in his rugby kit).

Delay TStar takeoff for a bit. Pick up chap in Stanley, ferry back to MPA, hover taxi all the way to the TStar steps. Airman on board close doors, chocks away etc.

Bloody brilliant system - don't mess with it!

RolyFirkinQC
29th Mar 2008, 09:27
Having actually worked in the comp cell at DTMA (now DSCOM), i can agree with most of the threads.

For comp 'Alpha's' we pull out all stops. As far as expense goes, we had to look at the most economically/fastest way. If that ment we had to charter a jet from Kuwait to the UK as the comercial outlet was 5 hours later, then we would. The Charter would cost around £40,000 and the commercial would be £300. If the comp arrived at KWI and the comercial was only 2 hours later, then the comp would have to wait as we couldn't justify the expense to the 'commercial' division at DTMA. On the occasions that the pax went commercial then we would try,(depending on the final destination), get a helicopter to take the pax direct to the hospital. If they needed to get to Scotland then we would book another commercial flight from LHR/LGW and when they arrived have a taxi waiting to take them to their destination. I personally have used the local Police to meet them at the landing site of the helicopter if the landing pad wasn't near the hospital to take them there and the Police were very willing to do so. Unfortunately at that time, we wern't allowed to use Concorde, too expensive. But we were allowed to book first class if that was the only seat available on other aircraft, which could have been more expensive than Concorde!...go figure:rolleyes:

As far as comp 'Bravo's' go, it is usually the units responsibility to arrange the on-move of the comp from the airhead. However, we would organise an internal commercial flight to get them to the North of the Country where the home unit would then organise the on-move.

And the Royal Navy? Well they are a law unto themselves. Most units would ring the comp cell to arrange the on-move. We would only be too happy to assist. But usually within 24 hrs they would call DTMA and ask for the flight to be changed. This usually meant that we couldn't get a refund for the original booking, so more expense. We learn't from these experiences and 90% of the time booked them with a flexible ticket. There were still occasions where the Navy book there own flights and didn't pass the flight details to us. Therefore if the pax was arriving at LHR/LGW there was nobody from the 'Civil Air Detchment' around to meet and assist them, and these folks we able to queue jump customs and immigration and get them out of the airports quickly! Consiquently there was the odd comp stranded at these airports,and if they wern't, when they rang DTMA for a return flight back to the ship, we knew nothing about them.

In the time i was there it was very rewarding to get someone back in time to say goodbye to their loved ones. As said in other threads, it is a system that the MoD actually does well.:ok:

fantaman
29th Mar 2008, 14:48
Does anyone know what trades man the comp cell? Seems like a very rewarding job, keep up all the good work you guys do.

November4
29th Mar 2008, 14:58
Comp Cell at DTMA / DSCOM is manned by Movers both RAF and Army. Used to FS / SSgt and a Cpl on duty at any time

StopStart
29th Mar 2008, 16:02
Done many Comps in my time on C130s - always rewarding to be involved with.

My only personal involvement was many years ago stuck with a u/s Herc on a lump of rock in the middle of the Atlantic. I was advised by my parents that my sister was scheduled for transplant surgery very soon and could I get back to see her before she went under. Delighted to say that Ascot Ops replied that no I couldn't go back as they'd then be a crew member down for the broken Herc. Fortunately the sqn bypassed those morons and we forged our plan to get back. As it was the surgery was cancelled at the last minute and I got back to see her. She subsequently died during transplant surgery a while later. Consequently I've always felt compelled to do everything I can when tasked with Comp As. I've also also harboured a deep wish that the Sqn Ldr on Ascot Ops that night has since died a horrible death.

Baskitt Kase
29th Mar 2008, 20:56
SS, how long ago? Depending on when, the individual may still be involved in the Comp system, just further up the chain. :ouch:

Brain Potter
30th Mar 2008, 12:06
SS,

That individual should be totally ashamed of themselves. Even if (by using the most jobsworth of intrepretations) you were not a compassionate case, the subsequent flight-safety issue is a no-brainer. How on earth could someone with any notion of supervisory reponsibilities expect you to continue with a routine task under such circumstances? Was this pathetic individual a fellow Ascoteer or an Ops Supporter?

You are a better man than me for not declaring yourself unfit and making your own way home.

On a lighter note, it was often amusing to watch the "command-chain" in the Falklands deal with sending one of their own aircraft more than a couple of hundred miles from base. It was as if they had no concept that the crews might actually be capable of looking after themselves - like they did all the time in their proper jobs.

Winch-control
30th Mar 2008, 13:15
Having voluntarily been bounced of a flight back to the UK by a mate who had serious parent problems going on (Father later died I believe), I happilly took over the stint in FI over Xmas and NY. Later given the clearance to return to the UK by next available flight I jumped on a C17...only to be turned back 5hrs outbound to pick up a comp A from MPA....Now as a smoker (sorry) this was a little un-believable, but the comp A was in fact the father of a suicide attempt (son) in Cyprus... I happilly went back to MPA for a ciggie..
On arrival at Ascension lots of hours later (and one ciggie) I learnt there was no onward flight.
But on the tarmac was a Tommy, so I enquired as to the chance of jumpin on it to get to the UK and the response was...speak to the Captain, which I did, and for a couple of cups of coffee (en-route), myself and the comp A got back to Brize. Comp A was transited straight to a private jet to Cyprus, and I went home by own means..
Bottom line... If it aint broken.....

mike_alpha_papa
30th Mar 2008, 14:08
Long time ago I know, but Mrs MAP experienced an excellent service as a Comp when all the stops were pulled to get her back to UK.

Up in Woomera, one Friday evening and last flight until Monday to Adelaide had just departed when we got a message that her mum was critically ill in Ipswich hospital. We had to wait for authority to come through from Innsworth, but roads from Woomera were flooded so could not drive down ready. They organised a private flight first thing Saturday morning in a 2 seater (all she remembered were the pilot's hairy legs - nothing else!) to Adelaide airport to meet with flight to Melbourne to connect with BA to London. Private hire car to Ipswich where everyone could not believe she was in Australia just over a day ago.

Her mother survived, due, in part, to the presence of her daughter so the Doctors thought. Teamwork at its very best.

isaneng
2nd Apr 2008, 10:10
Done a few of these myself, and arranged a couple whilst on ground duties on ops. Although not a comp, the best was a hospital flight from Gib. Very sick young girl going to specialist in UK. Wheels up, and passed to Spanish ATC, cleared direct LHR. Approaching London, everything was cleared out of our way. One speedbird, when passed holding instructions, questioned the priority of an ASCOT callsign (presume he didn't hear the prefix), and was immediately offered diversion to Manchester! All went quiet. Helo on the taxiway, little girl away (she survived ok), then nearly 2 hours to get out under our normal callsign!
Love to knock movers, but have seen them pull out all the stops to help and really come through on the day.

forget
2nd Apr 2008, 10:47
questioned the priority of an ASCOT callsign (presume he didn't hear the prefix),

What's the ASCOT prefix?

MightyGem
2nd Apr 2008, 14:13
I only ever got involved with one once during my time. I had to fly a guy up to Bremen to catch his flight. We were hammering along as fast as the Lynx would go, and it was obvious that we were going to be late. I called up Approach and asked them to hold the flight. There was a pregnant pause and they came back and asked if we had a VIP on board.

I looked back at the L/Cpl infantryman in the back and replied, "Yes". We landed next to the aircraft and he was met by the mover and straight up the steps.

Pete268
4th Apr 2008, 10:48
Although I recall little of what happened, as a young airman in the 1980's in Cyprus, I was described as 'Gravely ill' following an RTA. I was admitted to TPMH at Akro and being too ill to be aeromedded at that time, I could quite possibly have died if it hadn't been for the skill of the surgeon and team at TPMH. Both my mother and sister were informed of my pending demise and as if by magic a car whisked them off to Teeside Airport to fly down to LHR and onward onto a BA flight to LCA. Another fast drive from LCA to TPMH and both mother and sister were at my bedside within 15 hours of the accident. Incredible work by all the team involved to whom both myself and family will always be eternally grateful.

I was eventually 'stabilised' and aeromedded back to UK. This was apparently no easy task, as due to my injuries it required a full aeromed team (another bunch of unsung heroes in my book). I recall very little, other than my stretcher with drips, oxygen masks and god knows whatever else attached to me being lifted onto the RAF TriStar by the catering truck. I clearly remember the tail number of the TriStar ZE705 – is it still in service?

I also vaguely remember looking out of the window and was somewhat perturbed see a whole line of fire engines following the TriStar as we taxied for take off. Other than that it is blur other than thinking that you got an awful lot of legroom on a stretcher as opposed to being couped up in a seat!

At the other end I was woken up to be lifted off by again a catering truck I think. into a waiting ambulance alongside the aircraft. Straight off to RAFH Wroughton for 6 months followed by three months in Headley Court and I was rebuilt albeit 'retired medically' from the RAF and dispatched to civilian life with a War Pension to boot.

As others have said, the Comp ABC etc scheme is one thing the RAF excelled in and shouldn't be tampered with. Also the Aeromed system was/is fantastic. Just a pity that if my accident occurred now, there would be no RAFH Wroughton to be treated so superbly in (or other dedicated Military hospital – thank god TPMH still survives albeit in 'cut down' form I am led to believe nowadays). :sad:

I owe an eternal debt of gratitude to all those who selflessly worked to save my life. :D:D:D

forget
4th Apr 2008, 11:00
Pete, Your chariot home - still in service :ok:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/1011.jpg

Topsy Turvey
4th Apr 2008, 19:29
"Although I recall little of what happened, as a young airman in the 1980's in Cyprus, I was described as 'Gravely ill' following an RTA. I was admitted to TPMH at Akro and being too ill to be aeromedded at that time, I could quite possibly have died if it hadn't been for the skill of the surgeon and team at TPMH. Both my mother and sister were informed of my pending demise and as if by magic a car whisked them off to Teeside Airport to fly down to LHR and onward onto a BA flight to LCA. Another fast drive from LCA to TPMH and both mother and sister were at my bedside within 15 hours of the accident. Incredible work by all the team involved to whom both myself and family will always be eternally grateful."

Pete, what you are describing here is the DILFOR system, rather than Comp (return of serving relative in case of family emergency), but performed / arranged by the same people. As you say, it is an area all those involved with do so well.

Rotor Buddy
4th Apr 2008, 20:16
I fully agree with and applaud the fantastic stories of getting those home in their time of need. I have assisting in a number of comps in my time and fully believe that if there is any one thing we can hold a sign up and advertise that we do well, it is looking after our own in these circumstances.

However, I have been recruited from a commonwealth country to serve in HM Forces (the empire isn't dead, its just sleeping) and I dont think I am entitled to the same service if and when, heaven forbid, I have a comp with my family.

From what I understand I will be brought back to the UK from whereever I am serving and then I am on my own. Do I have to pay for my own means back to the otherside of the planet, when the UK will move its guys from the otherside of the planet to the UK in their hour of need?

Knowing that I can stop a bullet as well as anyone else who is serving, will the system allow for my parents to be transported to see me?

I do not wish to lower the tone of the fantastic stories of helping our own, but thought this would be the most appropriate thread to try and find an answer to my questions. Would be grateful for any information that fellow pruners could shed on commonwealth serving soldiers in similar circumstances.

RB

Topsy Turvey
4th Apr 2008, 22:11
RB

If there was a medical recommendation your parents /NOK will be transported to UK, or any other non operational location under the DILFOR scheme, if you were ever taken seriously ill, but I think what you say about Comp travel for yourself is correct.

There used to be a scheme known as DOMCOL that helped Foreign & Commonwealth personnel serving in the forces get home every few years to have an extended period of leave, not sure if it still applies or could be used with Comp Travel.

TT

The Equivocator
5th Apr 2008, 00:26
Rotor Buddy

This is certainly worth checking officially.

However, many currently serving Gurkha chaps are Comp A'd back home from theatre. Rightly so.

Don't see how these rules should be any different for you than for anyone else, but wonder if there's a special arrangement for the Gurkha regiments?

I hope the need doesn't arise, for any of us!

Pete268
5th Apr 2008, 19:49
Thank you forget. Nice to see ZE705 is still in service. I presume over her time she has helped repatriate many other aeromed cases and I wish her and her sister TriStars and their crews the very best.

Topsey, I wasn't aware it was a separate scheme (Dilfor as you call it) for getting relatives out to see servicemen/women who are not expected to live. However my mother informed me they were the height of professionalism in arranging for her and my sister to get to my bedside in TPMH in the minimum amount of time with nothing to worry about other than me!.

I totally agree these are fantastic services (Comps, Dilfor, Aeromed) which are not given the recognition they so rightly deserve as are the people involved in making it all happen so seamlessly.

An always greatful Pete

RolyFirkinQC
5th Apr 2008, 20:07
RB

DOMCOL is still available to Commonwealth Personnel under certain criteria.

Details can be found in JSP 751 Chapter 21.

DOMCOL is a scheme for single or unaccompanied married personnel who previously lived abroad and came to the UK at their own expense with the specific intention to join the UK Armed Forces. While they remain single or married unaccompanied they can be returned to their country under the compassionate scheme.

Under the DOMCOL Scheme personnel can be granted up to 45 days leave. They also have to have served 5 years in the Service before thay can qualify for this.

JCCC
10th Jun 2008, 20:17
To follow the thread from the beginning - it ain't broke - we are staying at Innsworth. Got to refurbish a building and move within the camp to let the ARRC in, but the team remains and are mightily glad to be doing so.

Compassionate and DILFOR services remain as normal.

The DOMCOL comments are correct for Compassionate cases but as far as DILFOR is concerned we operate worldwide taking the family from wherever to wherever, if the Docs think it is necessary. And for the really serious cases it's just like a Comp A for speed/service. Witness one lady from Orkney to Bahrain on Christmas Day courtesy of the KS SAR chopper, a Belgian private charter and then evening Gulf Air out of Heathrow, arrived early hours of Boxing Day. But that's the clever bit - all thanks to the DSCOM Team (aka DTMA).

Horror of Horrors (!!!!!) but we use JPA to record it all and to receive e-NOTICAS, which take about a minute (yes really!) instead of 3-4 hours for an old-fashioned signal. The Casualty bit works well, if only everybody will keep their personal Contacts details up to date, but that was true of the "good old systems" too.

HGW

Logistics Loader
9th Oct 2008, 09:07
As an ex RAF Mover, i have been a Comp A, and had faith in the system.

During my career i was involved in a fair few Comp's of all grades..

For me personally, it was the most rewarding side of the job, pulling out the stops for anyone to get them home to loved ones, whatever the reasons.

My last involvement was working alongside an Army mover in MPA in the JABC.. Joint Air Booking Centre.

During my 4mth sojourn, JABC were involved along with others in getting numerous personnel back to the UK. One that stands out was getting a Para and his sister a WREN home from MPA. This was done via Sao Paolo and i escorted both there. Sao Paolo could not have been more helpful.
No immigration issues whatsoever ! That in part maybe due to the Embassy staff.

I cant forget the Herc crew, engineers, police who also travelled total crew was around 12 i think...all for 2 people.

We even had private charter biz jets in to MPA to get personnel home..

Movers may not be everyones favourite trade, but please remember this. When the time comes, they can still provide a service that is 2nd to none.

I would strongly advise anyone not to try to circumvent the system. The Movers both Blue and Green have enormous expertise in this field and using Flight Reservations systems, they can see things that others wont see...

Rgds

LL

Wycombe
9th Oct 2008, 10:02
....at the end of short sojourn of my own in MPA, the T* (yes, it is a while ago) was turned around from about 30 mins out northbound to go back for a Comp A.

Announcement came from FD to explain why we were flying round in circles and spraying fuel out of the wings.

No-one complained. Great system :ok:

R SCANDAL
9th Oct 2008, 10:29
Junior rating a few hundred miles out in the North Atlantic gets the call that his mum is VSI in Belfast:
Ship steams shortest way to land.
When in range, helicopter launches him to Stornoway.
We are engines running in Albert when helo lands.
Junior bloke straps in with an "is this just for me?" expression.
We launch to the call of "Ascot xxx cleared direct Aldergrove" from Scot Mil.
Taxy in to waiting car.
When we can do this for our most junior blokes it completely restores my faith in our once illustrious outfit. Done a few Comp As and the attitude of all involved never changes and we cannot let anyone interfere with what is a brilliant system.

Xercules
10th Oct 2008, 13:15
I never personally needed the Comp A system but have been involved several times:

Ark Royal (of "We are sailing fame") setting off on final voyage when young rating's father VSI in Derby. I was flying night circuits at Lyneham - did we have enough fuel for LYE to St Mawgan to E Midlands? Answer yes. rating in navy helo to StM, by us in Albert to EM where met by Army driver and taken straight to Hospital.

When in ASCOT Ops - 2 Comp A on the Tri* from MPA, one for Newcastle one from Belfast, Tristar inbound to Gutersloh. Hold 125 at Gut. Comp As whisked off Timmy first and straight into 125 and away. First one dropped at Newc ERO and on to Belfast. So even ASCOT Ops could get it right.

In similar vein was a premature baby at Akro, sent to Tel Aviv by helo with mother as outside the capabilities of Akro hospital. Few weeks later when baby still only weighed 4 1/2 lbs we had to send the Tri* to pick it up - very large aeroplane for a very small payload!!

And expanding it to another similar but Aeromed problem: Army Sgt on BATT in Kano, Nigeria, slipped in shower and banged his head causing blood clot. Aeromed needed but minimum airborne time for casualty specified. VC10 fired up for BZN - Dakar - Accra for night stop. This gave about 20 hours to get diplomatic clearances for the return from Kano direct to BZN over Niger, Algeria and Spain. Surprisingly the most difficult was Spain and the VC10 almost had to do a dog leg around Majorca but clearance came through with about 10 minutes to spare. Out of Gibraltar though aeromeds would regularly get direct routing across Spain even if we did not ask for it.

In all these cases almost everybody does pull out all the stops but sometimes achieving the desired result was impossible.

cazatou
11th Oct 2008, 12:04
Back in 1994 a young WRAF SACW was being transported as a "Comp A" back to UK from the Falklands and the VC10 went U/S at Ascension. After 48 hours had passed SASO STC ordered that if the aircraft was not servicable within the next 12 hours then a Tristar would be sent to fetch her.

The VC10 was declared servicable and duly got airborne; so I was tasked to take a BAe 125 to collect her at Brize and deliver her to her Base. Also at Brize was the Personal Aircraft of HM The King of Jordan which was due to depart with HM the King at around the same time as the ETA of the VC10. The Acting Stn Cdr Brize spoke to HM The King who agreed straight away that the young lady should have priority and stated that if there were any further problems then He would be more than happy to convey the young Lady home aboard his aircraft.

That was not necessary as we were airborne within 10 minutes of the VC10 landing; but a wonderful gesture nevertheless.

Logistics Loader
11th Oct 2008, 15:17
Does this not prove the system works !!

so dont try to fix things that aint broken !!!!

I remember being in Gutersloh, just promoted, and dealt with a Comp A, Army SNCO.

He was in Norway...!! quickest way home...Puma with internal tanks...back to GUT... Britannia trooper was held to get him on... a/c then filed an OAT flightplan and cleared direct to LTN...then airlift by AAC to heli site at the hospital.... door to door time less than 12hrs....

COME ON 2 STAR STAFF.....

READ AND DIGEST THIS THREAD !!!!!!

caps used for effect..!!

forget
11th Oct 2008, 15:56
so dont try to fix things that aint broken !!!!

:ok: http://www.pprune.org/4172780-post53.html

helo425
11th Oct 2008, 18:19
Q. What role do ASCOT Ops play in the Comp A system. Have often listened in to ASCOT callsigns conducting Comp A's but are they planned by ASCOT Ops or the home base of the participating aircraft, ie Lye, Brize and Northolt + others.

ASCOT Ops Retd
11th Oct 2008, 19:00
The Comp Cell come to ASCOT Ops with the problem if there are no quick and obvious civvy outlets to shift their passenger(s). ASCOT then look at potential airborne assets, and/or ask Northolt for availability, whereupon if there is nothing worthwhile already operating ASCOT will generate a task. Normally this will be a C130, but as ever it's subject to what's available and normally involves a degree of horsetrading.

But it's actually a doddle managing a heavily tasked, ancient fleet and, as you can see from earlier posts, provided we cock everyone around, we're happy. :hmm:

TorqueOfTheDevil
5th Nov 2008, 01:23
Another outstanding performance by all parties in the Falklands recently.

Comp case on HMS Endurance, way down in Antarctica. Much scratching of heads, phone call to the fine gentlemen of the British Antarctic Survey who agreed straight away to the use of their Dash-7. Aircraft launched from the Falklands before dawn, flew to an airstrip in Antarctica where one of the Endurance Lynx was waiting with unfortunate customer. Dash-7 embarked him, returned to MPA, and less than 25 mins after Dash-7 touched down, the mighty Globespan 767 was airborne with last-minute extra passenger on board (having been held several hours for the purpose).

Good show all round, great to know that no effort will be spared for anyone, anywhere.:D:D:D

air pig
28th Sep 2010, 15:35
Young patient in an ICU, brother who knows where, and Air pig in charge of unit. Phone call late Sunday night from JCCC. Asked who I was, told them I was in charge, asked about patients condition, my only reply was Comp A. Their immediate reply was no problem we'll sort it and then they asked how I knew the system, my reply, ex PMRAFNS.

Sunday night to brother home soonest, in there today at 10:00 and brother safely delivered to unit to see youngster. Time taken to start process, seconds, job satisfaction incredible. Keep on doing it guys, the system works, don't lose it.

Regards.

Air pig :bored::ok:

Ali Barber
28th Sep 2010, 21:01
Have seen it on 2 occasions. One was a guy on exercise at Thumrait in Oman delivered from the back seat of an Omani Jag to the steps of the BA flight in Muscat Oman, in time to complete the onward painful journey (but in time, I'm told). The second, my wife being sent back for her father who was dying. She didn't make it in time, but everyone moved heaven and earth to try make it work, for which we are both both eternally gratefully and fully respectful of the Comp system. No matter what they cut, I hope that stays in place.

Wycombe
28th Sep 2010, 22:15
10 years ago, whilst returning from a short visit "down South", my northbound Timmy was turned around not 30 mins out of MPA to go back for a Comp A.

After some "gross weight adjustment" we landed back, picked him up and set off north again a few hours behind sched.

No one batted an eyelid from what I recall.

kokpit
29th Sep 2010, 19:48
We were hammering along as fast as the Lynx would go, and it was obvious that we were going to be late. I called up Approach and asked them to hold the flight. There was a pregnant pause and they came back and asked if we had a VIP on board.

I looked back at the L/Cpl infantryman in the back and replied, "Yes". We landed next to the aircraft and he was met by the mover and straight up the steps.

Bugger, it's got a tad smokey in here, that to me captures perfectly the efforts people go to to make the system work :ok:

Had a couple of experiences myself, never thinking I would actually need it, but we did, once for my step-dad and the other for my father-in-law.

I was based at Marietta for both, so civvie (BA) flight from Atlanta to Heathrow was the quickest and easiest option, although I remember they also looked at whether getting us up the east cost might expedite matters a little.

On both occasions both myself and the wife were flown back, and on one they also sent out 17 year old son with us, rather than leave him alone in the US (He was already in the UK on the other occasion). On each trip we were met at Heathrow by a driver, one took us direct to Norfolk and Norwich, and on the other to Luton, via Mum’s, on the off chance she might be back at home.

I’m sure BA knew when we checked in on one of the flights, we were upgraded seemingly before we arrived, I’m sure the crew knew something was amiss.

I can only echo the sentiments of all those before me. Heartfelt thanks to those that pull the strings, go the extra mile, and ensure a ****ty time is that bit less ****ty. I’ve been on civvie street for 5 years now, but take comfort in seeing that the system has carried on, and long may it continue to do so, there’s nothing more important that the lad or lass that has just received the worst of news.

Cheers,

rusty_monkey
1st Oct 2010, 00:03
For those of you out there always remeber to give the little card you are issued with the JCCC numbers on for those mums, dads wives and husbands left at home. The system for comp's is very robust and they will move heaven and earth to get you back in time. Just remember to give the folks you leave behind the card as every second counts.

Mmmmnice
1st Oct 2010, 07:45
Just about to go on a night low level training sortie in a Chinook, when told to go to Dulmen Barracks a pick up Comp A to take to Bremen, to get BA flight back to UK 'cos his Dad is seriously ill. Enroute Bremen we realise we won't make planned flight so, with great help from German ATC, manage to talk direct to Speedbird ??, as he's getting taxi clearance, who agrees to wait 5 mins for us. Running landing direct to ramp behind BA 111 and our pax is running up the steps shortly after. Flash to bang of 45 mins. I couldn't think of a better way of spending tax payers money or a more satisfying sortie - and a valuable rapid planning exercise to boot! Ah the Cold War........

diginagain
1st Oct 2010, 07:59
I couldn't think of a better way of spending tax payers money or a more satisfying sortie..........
Couldn't agree more.

Frank_Gallagher
1st Oct 2010, 17:12
The Comp A system is a wonderful system that must be protected at all costs.

As a watchkeeper in the Gulf on three tours the attitude of the aircrew and movers never ceased to amaze me when I had to task a Comp A, never heard a murmur of complaint and crews often 'bent' some rules to achieve the objective.

Unfortunately I became a recipient of the system on my last tour when my father was taken very ill in Leeds General. Got the phone call and was driven to nearest airport for next available BA flight, cabin crew took me from my seat to door as soon as jetway was in place where mover was waiting. Taken through T4 to BA flight to Newcastle where driver was waiting to get me home. Phone call in Gulf to walking through front door was 16 Hours.

Unfortunately the number of missed calls when I turned my phone on in LHR told me the worst and I didn't get to see my Dad before he passed away. Anyone who has played their part in this system should be truly proud of their efforts, we must ensure this system is never compromised in order to save a few pounds.

Rather be Gardening
1st Oct 2010, 17:35
Posted by Topsy Turvey in 2008: The system is at risk. The MoD is currently considering a proposal from the management of the Service Personnel & Veterans Agency to relocate the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC), who oversee the Comp system, from Innsworth to Gosport by the end of the year. This despite the fact the Army, who are taking over Innsworth are happy for the SPVA to remain. The liklyhood is most of the experienced civilian & ex military staff (who work 24/7) will leave resulting in a loss of knowledge and reduction in the service offered.

Has this cunning plan died the death?

Topsy Turvey
1st Oct 2010, 22:30
Rather be Gardening

Pleased to say yes. as "JCCC" himself reported at in post53 (dated 10 Jun 08), JCCC stayed at Innsworth (Imjin Barracks). From a contact I have there, JCCC is now in its new building and working well. :ok:

Lets hope the JCCC and the service it provides is not put at risk in the SDSR. Some services must not be judged on cost alone.

TT

unclenelli
2nd Oct 2010, 00:05
This should NEVER be axed.
Anyone with any clout should remind David Cameron, that HE has just been on the end of (albeit French) JCCC-action when Sarko laid on the French Presidential Helo so he could make it to his dying father's bedside.

Rather be Gardening
2nd Oct 2010, 06:40
Thanks TT, good to hear:ok: If ever there was a case for awarding an H&A to a group, JCCC's it.