PDA

View Full Version : Canadian licence fiasco

Skydrol Leak
8th Mar 2008, 21:10
OK,maybe it shouldn't be called a fiasco,but a Canadian ATPL licence holder can't show you more than a four wedge piece of paper stating your address and name on it with your endorsments.
I was surprised when I saw a Brazilian licence from an ATPL accredited pilot with the picture and all the perks that should show and indentify this person as who he is.
Really,we're talking about the overall safety and an anti terrorism, but yet we are issuing a 1945 type licenses to the pilots in CDN.I support any individual that writes to Transport Canada and gives them the bollocks about their doings.

Cheers,EU flyer

J.O.
8th Mar 2008, 23:43
The Canadian licenses are changing to look like a UK licence (complete with photo ID) in the near future.

I'm glad that's all you have to complain about.

ELAC
9th Mar 2008, 04:04
OK,maybe it shouldn't be called a fiasco,but a Canadian ATPL licence holder can't show you more than a four wedge piece of paper stating your address and name on it with your endorsments.

Funny ... I just checked the multiple wedges on the JAA compliant licence sent to me by the UK CAA and the only item of identification that was on their licence and medical that wasn't on the TC licence and medical was my place of birth. I'm sure having that recorded immensely improves safety and security.

Now, my FAA licence does mention height, weight, hair and eye colour, but then it was issued 13 years ago so tell me how much that's worth?

While we're at it, all my Korean licence has is my citizenship and a long expired passport number, and the Indian one ... well, if I told you that it was a photocopy of a fax would I need to say anything else?

As J.O. says the TC licence is being redesigned, but it's clear that the problem (such as it is) lies with ICAO's standards not TC's.

MidgetBoy
9th Mar 2008, 04:27
FAA licenses are nicer atleast compared to the current Canadian ones. A stupid piece of paper that is voided if you laminate it. Our new passport types should look nicer but then it might have our medical stuff within the license itself. Less papers to carry. I'm still carrying my little brown envelope around with my PPL, PPL + NR, CPL, Medical and Radio License sitting in it. It's a hassle.

Ricky1
9th Mar 2008, 05:31
Hey there,
It has been known now for the last year there were plans to change the licence format. Below is the content from transport canada's website. No need to write to TC to complain, lol

New Format for Licences and Permits

Your Licence is Going to Change

We have been working hard to prepare for the arrival of the new Aviation Document Booklet, which will hold all your licences, permits and medical certificates in one document.

By late April, we will be in the final stages of testing prior to full production of the booklets. By the end of May, the system should be commissioned to operate at full capacity. At that time, the following will occur:
Applicants for new licences and permits in any category will receive documents in the new booklet format.
Airline transport pilot licences (ATPL) and commercial pilot licences (CPL) will be the first to be processed into the new booklet format. All ATPLs and CPLs in the old format will be replaced by March 31, 2009. To retain licence validity, current document holders must apply for an Aviation Document Booklet to replace their old format licences. Applications for replacing these licences with the new booklet format will be accepted in the near future.
All old format air traffic controller (ATC), flight engineer, and private pilot licences are scheduled to be replaced by December 31, 2009. Applications for replacing these licences with the new booklet format will only be accepted after January 1, 2009.
All remaining old format licences and permits are scheduled to be replaced by December 31, 2010. Applications for replacing these documents with the new booklet format will only be accepted after January 1, 2010.

Current licence and permit holders, as well as applicants for new licences and permits, will be required to submit the “Application for Aviation Document Booklet” form and one photograph that meets Passport Canada standards to a Transport Canada regional licensing office. Once we begin accepting these applications, Transport Canada staff will confirm the accuracy of personal information, ensure that licence applicants have met language proficiency requirements and generate an Aviation Document Booklet.

This Web page is currently being developed to provide all relevant information, including access to download the “Application for Aviation Document Booklet” form.

Kind regards
Ricardo

Carrier
9th Mar 2008, 12:34
My current TC licence, medical and radio licence all fit in a purpose designed leather wallet with transparent inserts to hold the actual documents.. My FAA stuff also fits within the same holder. This holder fits comfortably in a pilot shirt pocket or any pocket on my trousers. I normally wear trousers from a travel clothing company so they usually have pockets that are designed for passports, immunisation booklets, etc. The licence holder fits right in with all of that. Plastic provincial drivers’ licences in computerised form with photos are of similar size and also fit into these wallets and thus easily into shirt or trouser pockets.

I want to know if the new TC licence book is of the same small dimensions to fit in existing licence holders so that it will easily fit in pockets. If not, then TC needs to go back to the drawing board and show some consideration for the captive customers’ needs.

777AV8R
9th Mar 2008, 14:32
I've seen the draft of the new documentation and it looks pretty good. Everything will be in one passport style book. There is a push on to get all of this put together in short order.

doo
9th Mar 2008, 19:38
I have had a Euro Licence for quite a few years, no pic included, on the last renewal.

J.O.
9th Mar 2008, 23:30
So in other words, the opening posting is a tempest in a teapot. Time to close the thread, methinks.

Panama Jack
10th Mar 2008, 19:12
I recall being in an FAA FSDO about a year ago doing a certificate application, musing to the inspector how it is amazing to me how a country that put a man on the moon some 40 years ago still hasn't been able to figure out how to put a picture on a pilot certificate.

Often the oft-called "Banana Republics" or third world countries have the most advanced looking licences, but then again, their problem is limited to producing maybe a couple of hundred licences rather than thousands.

Ricky1
11th Mar 2008, 05:39
I think J.O. put it best. Read my above post.

Chuck Ellsworth
11th Mar 2008, 20:42
We have been working hard

They start their spiel about the new license with a statement I find hard to believe. :E

Ricky1
11th Mar 2008, 21:30
We have been working hard

They start their spiel about the new license with a statement I find hard to believe.

They didn't start the 'spiel' this way. TC have had a page on thier website dedicated to this issue for the last 8 months. It started off telling us that a change was going to come about in the near future and to bookmark their page for updates on the progress of the licences. My first post on this thread is the most recent update as of the 3rd of March.

I would say they have been working hard, concidering I know plenty of people working on this issue. Its not as easy as you may think.

Just wait two months and you will see what I am talking about. That is if you are an ATPL or CPL holder.

And come on they they were obivously trying to keep the whole intro to the last update in context to thier other posts on this matter........... Friendly.........

All TC staff are not the same. I have had run ins with them before as do most Canadian pilots. However this time I think you will be impressed

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Mar 2008, 01:13
I'm afraid that I am a bit more jaded than you when it comes to TCCA Ricky1..and I am bit bored at the moment so........

I would say they have been working hard, concidering I know plenty of people working on this issue. Its not as easy as you may think.

Yeh, I imagine that in the year 2008 with all the technology available it would be a major project to design a new license format...:ugh:

Just wait two months and you will see what I am talking about. That is if you are an ATPL or CPL holder.

Actually I hold both in Canada the ATPL and the Commercial licenses.

And come on they they were obivously trying to keep the whole intro to the last update in context to thier other posts on this matter........... Friendly.........

All TC staff are not the same. I have had run ins with them before as do most Canadian pilots. However this time I think you will be impressed

Wonderful, lets see how much it costs me to be impressed.:sad:

Ricky1
12th Mar 2008, 02:08
I guess you will see when you get your licence chuck. Maybe you will see the effort they have put in by then. :D Congrats on the ATPL and CPL. You might want to change your profile. I don't know of an 'ALTP' ;)

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Mar 2008, 02:49
I guess you will see when you get your licence chuck. Maybe you will see the effort they have put in by then.

I hope it fits in my wallet like the ones I now have.

My Canadian ones are identified by the license numbers AA38841 and DO38841, will my new ones have a new number?

Congrats on the ATPL and CPL.

Congrats??? hell they are just licenses that anyone can get with a little bit of effort. :ok:

You might want to change your profile. I don't know of an 'ALTP'

How about that I miss typed it, I never noticed that before , if I don't change it will it make me less of a pilot?:sad:

Ricky1
12th Mar 2008, 03:32
I have the little wallet right now also. It is perfectly ideal. Last I want or anyone I should think for that matter, would be a big legal sized portfolio, haha. However there was need for the new format. These little pieces of paper why have right now are too many and quite behind compared to other aviation authorities. The JAA have a nice little book, however theirs is not wallet size. FAA are renewing their also. Which I think is going to be very similar to ours. My little feathered friend told me they were going to be passport sized.
Yes a little effort and the ATPL will also be mine ;) However at only 21 and having my CPL, I’m not too far behind the race at all. Should have it in near future. Although I have also heard that TC plan on changing the ATPL structure very soon also. Within a year I hear. So I'll hold off and build hours and see what happens in the next few months.

As for ALTP, lol 1300+ posts and you haven’t seen it. lol. No man it’s not going to make you less of a pilot. I was just checking to see what you flew over there in B.C, thought I would just let you know.

Take care
Rick

MidgetBoy
12th Mar 2008, 05:00
I just finished my reqs for CPL and I asked TC if I'd get a new license. They said they weren't sure, it depended how long it took for them to finish the paperwork but they were about 80% sure I'd still get the old one.
Win!

Ricky1
12th Mar 2008, 05:59
From recent experience. Tc take about 6-8 weeks to sort out thier paper work for the CPL, so that should put you in around the time of release. Fingers crossed for you. You seem like you want the new one badly. I wouldn't blame you, all those little ratty pieces of paper get annoying.

MidgetBoy
12th Mar 2008, 08:23
Well I talked to TC and they said they were on top of their work and they'd be most likely finish my paperwork in 2 weeks.

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Mar 2008, 15:22
Although I have also heard that TC plan on changing the ATPL structure very soon also. Within a year I hear. So I'll hold off and build hours and see what happens in the next few months.

If you are planning on waiting to see what or when TC does about changing the process of getting the ATPL you are cheating yourself, these idiots could take the next ten years just thinking about it.

As to the format and size of the license we now have I preferred the original one I got with the green stripe diagonally across it and all the endorsements and type ratings including the radio license on it, that fit in my wallet.

There were four licenses then, Private / Commercial / Senior Commercial / Airline Transport.

As for ALTP, lol 1300+ posts and you haven’t seen it. lol. No man it’s not going to make you less of a pilot. I was just checking to see what you flew over there in B.C, thought I would just let you know.

Thanks for letting me know.......as to what I fly over here in B.C. ......nothing for the past six or seven years because I was flying in other countries....both little airplanes and bigger ones.

AAIGUY
12th Mar 2008, 15:47
From recent experience. Tc take about 6-8 weeks to sort out thier paper work for the CPL, so that should put you in around the time of release. Fingers crossed for you. You seem like you want the new one badly. I wouldn't blame you, all those little ratty pieces of paper get annoying.

Rick, I would stop now..

Chuck is over 50 and very respected West Coast Pilot who does international contracts on all sorts of equipment. You , me and 1/2 the guys here don't have his experience. (and I fly B74/B73 with 1000's of hrs and numerous ATPL, ATP, or whatever you what to call it).

And as for TC, the are the most inept pack of C*nts I have ever seen. As mentioned I hold license with multiple authorities around the globe..no one can mess up a piss up @ a pub as much as TC.

J.O.
12th Mar 2008, 16:23
Then you've obviously never dealt with the IAA or the UK CAA. :ugh:

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Mar 2008, 16:26
Quote:

And as for TC, the are the most inept pack of C*nts I have ever seen. As mentioned I hold license with multiple authorities around the globe..no one can mess up a piss up @ a pub as much as TC.

AAIguy, your post only has two little items I would like to clear up if you don't mind.

First your calling TC an inept pack of c*nts is doing a disservice to the word.

And just a slight correction to the time line you mentioned.....I am well past the age of fifty because in three month I will be starting on my 56 th. year of flying........I can't remember all the stuff I have flown.....I never flew the Space Shuttle but I did fly with Patrick Baudry France's first Shuttle Pilot for two years and he told me all about what it was like.

Ricky1
12th Mar 2008, 18:13
Guess they haven't J.O. lol

With regards The ATPL exams in Canada. I know it is less right now to get it how ever. They are making arangements with the JAA to make licence conversion a lot easier for pilots like myself. It will be something like 6 exams and 750hrs frozen

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Mar 2008, 20:01
Having spent many, many years dealing with various aviation regulators I found Transport Canada to be the most difficult to deal with period....give me the British CAA or the American FAA any day.

ahramin
12th Mar 2008, 20:03
I can't figure out why you people are discussing this. It is a licence, WHO CARES? Do you really need permission from your government to feel like a pilot? Did you go to school to get a piece of paper or to learn to fly? If there was no corrupt government requiring you to be licenced would you still carry it around with you?

They could print it on toilet paper for all i care. Go print yourself an 8x12 on glossy paper with PILOT in big bold letters and laminate it if you find that important.

Or is it just that like certain other bits it just doesn't excite the bar girls the way you would like?

AAIGUY
13th Mar 2008, 11:09
Have CAA Class 1 and JAR Validation.. CAA is not that bad.

Now, I will leave you all and go back on my patio and perhaps swim in pool.
It's a lovely evening in Phuket..

(yep..got a Thai licence too.)

Ricky1
13th Mar 2008, 21:32
AAIGUY,
Just with regards your first post. I may not have the experience you's two guys have. However if you read some of my posts here on PPrune, you will see that I write about fact and almost always find some source to back it up. My original thread comes "copied and pasted" for Tc's website. Also my contacts with TC have also given me some information with the issue also. So at the end of the day, I am about spreading facts not speculations. Thats why my pionts become so valid. Also I was writing in responce to 'midgetboy's' post, when you quoted me above, not Chuck

Enjoy the pool, I'm going off ice fishing, lol

Kind regards,
Ricardo

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Mar 2008, 03:30
Ricky1:

Some of us also post facts and can back up our statements.

Having read your posts here on Pprune it would appear you are just getting started in aviation, it would therefore stand to reason tha your " contacts " in Transport Canada would be very limited and even if you are connected with TC that does not change the fact that many of us have learned the hard way that TC is a total gong show and trusting anything they say is risky at best.

But if you are happy and are content to think that TC is the best thing since sliced bread ....get back to us after reality sets in.

Ricky1
15th Mar 2008, 06:35
As I previously stated in a post on this thread, I have also had my run-ins with certain depts in TC. So by no way to i think they are the best thing since sliced bread. They are better than the IAA in my opinion....

You have no idea who my contacts are, so dont go there.

As in context to this thread, why don't you come back here when you get your new licence. Our when you have something to contribute to the actual subject. Read where the tread was going in the begining. New licences are on the way. Who cares if you think TC is a sham, maybe you did have one to many problems with them. Go start a thread on "Tc the gong show" or "TC the pack of c**ts". Its not helping anyone here.

er340790
20th Mar 2008, 21:58
Quite agree.

If my pic is on my Govt issued Driver's Licence, Health Card, Perm Resident Card, Firearms Possession / Acquisition Licence, why the hell not on my Pilot's Licence?????

MidgetBoy
20th Mar 2008, 22:22
I talked to TC today as I was helping another person pay for their license application and they said most likely this person's won't be the new format either. And apparently I won't need to take the English ICAO exam thing unless there's a problem during the flight test where the examiner would then tell TC your English level. I guess there isn't any 'card' or 'license' we'd receive for that in Canada.

MidgetBoy
26th Mar 2008, 08:33
I think TC is postponing issuing my license. As my parents own a flight school, I have been down at TC submitting license applications for the last month and no student has gotten their license. TC might be waiting for the new one since the temp license is valid for 90 days.

RatherBeFlying
29th Mar 2008, 02:18
Like others, I got a little leather license holder for the bits of TC mandated paper plus my drivers license fits there too.

The holder fits in my back pocket no hassles so I'm never worried about committing aviation without all the requisite bits of personnel paper (a/c paperwork to be dealt with during preflight).

So on a 30-something C Summer day when I'm climbing in a glider in my shorts, where's the passport sized license gonna fit:confused:

Maybe we'll have to strap it next to the p-bag:}

MidgetBoy
24th Apr 2008, 22:27
I don't know if everyone noticed the changes on TC's website, but for CPL and above, you can apply when the form appears on their website for the new license. You have to send in the application form with a picture of yourself that meets their standards. For those under CPL, you have to wait to apply after Jan 1, 2009.
I'm not 100% sure about this either, but for the ICAO english thing, apparently there's not specific levels. It's either a pass or a fail. It's supposed to be integrated into a flight test.

Here's a link to the application itself.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/26-0726_0804-01_BO.pdf

MidgetBoy
26th Apr 2008, 07:07
Another update, I walked into TC office today to see if I could get one of them to validate my photograph and then take in my application for the new license. They said that they didn't even know that the application was up and that they haven't started issuing it to TC pilots yet so we'd have to wait some more. They also don't know if it's going to have specific requirements for the photos like the passport does. Dark shirt on white background, etc.

And about the english part, I don't know if it's different for ATPL, but my CPL license just says under the right side, Language Proficiency - English

Skydrol Leak
26th Apr 2008, 21:29
Very Canadian indeed!

I have lived in three continents and chase many visas and permits during my last 10 years and I have to be quite honest; the worst country to deal with was Canada.Unfortunately, all the great things about that country that got me thinking how great it is to be a Canadian,just got shattered by their government with backward system and rules,minding the fact as well that it is a country that is so called an "Immigration country",but I haven't feel that at all.
It's like in the UK, expecting some service and getting none.:)
Hopefuly, TC can develope something more than a "booklet" in a year 2008 where US is developing an eye scanner devices etc.... Great country, but lacks behind in technology for about 20 years....

Chuck Ellsworth
26th Apr 2008, 23:47
Skydrol Leak:

I am a Canadian and after flying for 45 years I finally left Canada in 1996 because of its third world government mentality.

Best thing I ever did was work anywhere but Canada.

My only regret is I waited to long to leave.

whack_job
11th May 2008, 00:42
JO, go make me a cup of tea B?t@h

Big Pistons Forever
15th May 2008, 02:38
I just talked to TC and was told they are delayed again (late Oct for the first ones):rolleyes:. TC will mail every pilot an explanatory letter and a copy of the application form. ATPL's will be converted first than CPL and PPL.:8

MidgetBoy
16th May 2008, 01:01
T.I.C

This is Canada. =.=

Hamtarro
8th Jun 2008, 22:23
In defence of Chuck and I really don`t know him, looks like the whole sand box thing didn`t work out for you kid. Ears open mouth closed. And in the future remember if you thought that CRM class was just AWESOME then pick another profession. When your busy busting a dude on his spelling the terrain is rising fast. Sorry about lashing out at you but there are many valid points to be made on the pprune forum and those with more experience than myself and you, do have some good info. Ironic I know that I waste time talking about this but I just had some clowns do much the same as yourself when I asked a simple question. Ans sorry I don`t know the difference between there and their please let me know if you ever visit the office of my 744. If I wasn`t board to tears hear in Asia and counting the days till I get back home then I wouldn`t post. So relax Kid and you may have a long and enjoyable career ahead. I got a smilie for you but it runs vertical and doesn`t fit on the screen.
Hamtarro Man

xsbank
30th Jun 2008, 03:03
Good advice, Ham...

I can hardly wait to hear the new fees for our fancy new license. Do you think they are going to be free??

Count on it being larger and more unwieldy than a passport - a case of Guinness says they never asked a pilot what he thought would be a good format.

Every time you add a type or other bureaucratic bs it will have to be reprinted or sent in for a stamp - Chuck's right, expect the worst at the highest cost. Maybe they'll transfer the medical fee to the license so they can get paid and we will have to stop thumbing our noses at them?

Carrier
30th Jun 2008, 20:10
Quote: “.....was my place of birth. I'm sure having that recorded immensely improves safety and security.”

It might be more likely to cause your death! For people who were born in countries that are the targets of various terrorist groups it is not a good idea to be openly connected with such countries. Terrorists have been known to select execution or kidnap victims from passengers and crew on the basis of their obvious citizenship, including where they were born.
If you are from one of those target countries you should try and arrange to obtain a passport from a relatively neutral country that stands for nothing (Canada?) and ensure that it does not show your place of birth in the high profile country. The same applies to other documents such as pilots’ and drivers’ licences.

Another issue: as somebody who has worked overseas on a Canadian licence and been subjected to considerable inconvenience because there was no TC approved CAME or examination/flight test capability where I was based, or in any neighbouring country, has TC given any thought to providing competent and timely service to those Canadian pilots who are based overseas? With this new booklet, what will be the procedure at renewal time for medical, instrument rating, etc?

Panama Jack
1st Jul 2008, 10:38
Of course Transport Canada has thought of this, and they publish their policy fairly clearly to anybody who cares to read it.

You can use any aviation medical examiner overseas who is certified by the national authorities (if an ICAO country) to do the exam. Send it in, and TC will send you a new medical as long as the medical is done to TC standards and in good faith. The foreign examiner cannot stamp the back of your medical to renew it though, and it takes maybe a month to get the new medical-- that only requires some preplanning on your part, but that is part of what being a pilot, or an expat, is about.

As far as living overseas and getting flight tests, TC works on a cost recovery basis. They will send an examiner anywhere in the world but of course, you need to pay the costs associated with that, or you can get a DE to come out but I imagine he will want to have his costs covered too. If you wanted it for cheap or free, well . . . aviation is an expensive activity. If you want an FAA examiner or a JAA one, that is possible too but as always, there are costs involved in that too.

Canada is no longer a welfare country, although still pay a lot of money in taxes for Government overspending in the past. Nevertheless, TC does provide the services.

As for the expat aspect of it . . . well, that's a cost of doing business overseas.

Carrier
1st Jul 2008, 17:26
What Transport Canada’s policy is and what they provide are two different things!

In several years of living overseas I never once had a renewal arrive within one month. In one case the medical renewal arrived just four days before its expiry date and TC expected me to pay $55 for just those four days! In all cases I commenced the process in good time and had to send many follow-up communications, both directly to TC and through my MP. Fortunately I was not depending on my TC licence. I did have it validated when I initially arrived overseas but I could foresee the problems with TC’s well known lack of customer service. I took the precaution of obtaining a licence from the country where I was based. I wanted to keep the TC licence for possible future use. In any case, a true professional pilot should have more than one pilot’s licence, driver’s licence, headset, etc.

In the private sector in any contract or deal there is an implied covenant that the goods or services being provided are suitable for the purpose for which they are provided. There should be no difference for government. For TC to provide a medical renewal that arrives just four days before its expiry date and attempt to charge for this useless “service” shows that they have the moral standards of common fraudsters!

TC’s “policy” changes at random at the will of whoever is dealing with a particular matter. On more than one occasion TC after receiving a medical report stated that they would not accept that medical done by a particular doctor when over the previous few years they had renewed my medical more than once on the basis of reports done by the very same doctor. This happened with more than one doctor. The same information in the same format from the same doctors that they had accepted several times previously was arbitrarily refused. Sometimes TC claimed that the doctor was not recognised by the Civil Aviation Agency in the ICAO country were I was based and which had issued me a CPL, even though I pointed out that my local CPL had been renewed on the recommendation of the same doctor at the same medical examination that he used for supplying the report to TC, just as the local CAA had done with previous renewals. Two or three renewals by the CAA on the basis of a particular doctor’s reports indicates to any person of normal intelligence that that particular doctor is indeed recognised by the CAA. Doh!

I have always ensured that every medical report has all of the necessary information. This includes the doctor’s name clearly printed, the hospital that he works at, the full address and his work telephone number - international code, number and extension - so that if TC requires any clarification it can be done without delay. All they have to do is pick up a phone, dial the number and ask for whatever they need. Naturally they do not do this, even knowing that airmail each way takes three to five weeks. They sent ME by airmail a query asking me to obtain from the doctor and send to them some information that was already on the form that they had received! This came from the Senior Medical Consultant at TC, who is either functionally illiterate and unable to read a simple medical report or is deliberately obstructive. This sort of thing happened several times. It is just like the deliberate obstruction that appears in the Third World until one pays the bribe! Then of course there was the idiot at TC who thought that the African city I lived in was located in Hong Kong!

For many years now TC’s “written” examinations have been done on-line on computers. To anyone with any sense of customer service and above the level of a moron that should indicate that a candidate living in a foreign country ought to be able to do TC examinations such as IATRA, SARON and SAMRA at the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. They all have computers that are connected to the Internet. Just turn up for your appointment at the Canadian embassy, produce suitable ID, pay the fee and do the exam. Naturally such common sense customer service is not available from Canada’s government. Even private sector examination outlets for TC exams are not available in other countries. Contrast this with the FAA, whose exams anyone may do in Hong Kong, Dubai, Germany, etc! When I enquired at TC about renewing my Instrument Rating they were unable to advise of any Designated Examiners located outside of Canada. It is possible to renew FAA ratings overseas. There are FAA DEs in many countries and continents.

Anyone who is familiar with Canadian aviation will know that the sort of TC problems I have outlined above are common, whether one lives in Canada or overseas. The many posts on various forums by Cat Driver, Widow et al confirm that there are serious problems in all areas of TC and at all levels and that my experiences are not unique. TC is known for being incompetent, obstructive, evasive, uncaring and untruthful! I do know some really good people in TC but they are the exception. They must find it heartbreaking to have to work in such an environment.

TC’s track record confirms that they have given little thought to providing the COMPETENT and TIMELY services that Canadians need. You can be fairly sure that this applies to any overseas renewals involving the new licence format. The responsible senior bureaucrats and politicians must be delighted that there are some who are prepared to accept their BS at face value and who are willing to pay a second time for (sometimes not provided) services that have already been paid for through general taxes!

Chuck Ellsworth
2nd Jul 2008, 00:55
For those here on Pprune who do not know who Cat Driver is it is a name I use on Avcanada.

What carrier says is only the tip of the iceberg with regard to the incompetence in Transport Canada.

However incompetence is forgivable it is the outright dishonesty and abuse of power that is so systemic within the top level of management at TC that is stunning.

To protect several of their own they ruined my company and made it so difficult for me to work in aviation in Canada that I was forced to spend the last years of my career flying outside of Canada.

Yes, carrier has only scratched the surface of the problems within TC in Canada.

angryblackman
3rd Jul 2008, 22:12
I don't have a problem with Transport Canada!
Of course, I'm a senior inspector at Transport Canada who will secure his government pension and enjoy his well deserved retirement soon.
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about...HEY!!!! :D

Chuck Ellsworth
3rd Jul 2008, 22:55
So as a senior inspector at TCCA what do you think of the allegations this former TCCA inspector Hugh Danford is making angryblackman?

Urcombot - U R C O M B O T (http://urcombot.googlepages.com/home)

MidgetBoy
3rd Jul 2008, 23:12
Hmmm... I wonder which TC inspector...

Chuck Ellsworth
4th Jul 2008, 01:38
Could be any one of them.

Of course, I'm a senior inspector at Transport Canada who will secure his government pension and enjoy his well deserved retirement soon.

I would imagine that retirement would be right up there on the job satisfaction list. :E

cargonaut
4th Jul 2008, 21:15
Can't finger out why folks think that another hoop or 2 to jump through is a good thing.

I never fly without my passport anyway. I hate going to the DMV every few years for a new photo, and then to get a new health card and then renew my passport and on and on. My kingdom for one stop shopping and less bureaucracy...

MidgetBoy
5th Jul 2008, 07:34
Yep, passport is always smart to carry... if you have an emergency near the border and you have to land, aim for Canadian soil. If you land on US soil, even in an emergency situation, ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!

Skydrol Leak
12th Aug 2008, 06:56
AMEN!The thread is over...

India Four Two
16th Jan 2012, 03:15
In December, I flew to Edmonton to spend Christmas with my son, watch some great hockey games in the World Junior competition and re-validate my Canadian PPL.

So in the balmy conditions that Edmonton was experiencing (above freezing!), I showed up at the Edmonton Flying Club, flew a 172 and a DA20 (lovely aircraft), wrote the PSTAR and got my logbook endorsed.

However I couldn't fly solo. Why not, you ask? Well, because I had assumed foolishly that my shiny new "Aviation Document" containing all the documents that I would need to aviate. I'm sure some of you already know where this is going :)

I didn't have my Radio Operator's Certificate with me! It is hard to believe that the two government departments involved could not have co-operated over this. Did Transport Canada even approach Industry Canada over this issue?

My Radio Operator's Certificate is now safely taped into the back page of the Aviation Document.

desarcis
25th Jan 2012, 23:35
Last time I checked the map Vancouver Island was in Canada
otherwise I agree with you