PDA

View Full Version : Fed Air

41blognog
8th Mar 2008, 15:03
Hear pilots are having a rough time at the feds.. anyone got details.

freefly_rulz
9th Mar 2008, 17:36
Heard the same...

Some bloke was apparently waiting for his license to be renewed for two weeks with no word from them, sitting at home counting toes...

Scary.

But, then again, they never had the best of names in the industry.

Contract Dog
9th Mar 2008, 19:20
Fedair hires freelance crew, why would they pay to renew your license when they can kick a tree and 30 crew, willing to pay fedair for hrs, fall out?

Dog

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Mar 2008, 19:27
Dang! Dere's dem ol' chickens coming home to roost....:hmm:

Contract Dog
9th Mar 2008, 20:51
dem chickens was flying out of an old twotter wiff woven reeds covering dem windows at the end of a dusty old strip in da south of Sudan. lol:E

been a while, twotter old boy

Dog

Icarus208
9th Mar 2008, 21:08
What makes it more interesting about Fed Air is that Solenta owns a big chunk of that company now...hmmmm

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Mar 2008, 21:23
Certainly has been, your Houndship. Have your people call my people and we'll do beer some time.:}:ok:

Contract Dog
9th Mar 2008, 22:30
SRT, maybe you should get your people to send a memo to my people, that way, when they are sober enough to read it, I wont be too pissed to respond:E

Dog

gerrie123
10th Mar 2008, 17:21
Those managers at FedAir are just in it for the money. Friend of mine is still waiting for his money from last year.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Mar 2008, 19:10
If folks are willing to pay for hours why should they part with money to have people fly for them? Ain't reality a bitch...?:rolleyes:

Silent Observer
12th Mar 2008, 05:59
I think Feds is doing pretty well, gone are the days where they expect freelance crews to just fall over their feet to fly for them, let alone hire them on a freelance basis. The last person to pay to fly there was years and years ago. Nowadays you actually get a contract and a salary when you get employed. Don’t want to step on toes here CD but that instance has a very valid explanation. With the insurance company’s contract being renewed, all training had to be halted for a couple of days. He did sit on the ground, studying, what is also important to know he got paid for his time “off”, he still got a FULL salary. Also in the case of the person that has not gotten paid since last year, I suggest to the crewmember to discuss it with the appropriate people at FedAir and get it sorted out, trust me it WILL, they are a reputable company and cannot afford to have a bad rep in the industry. Luckily this is a rumour network.:)

NG Driver
12th Mar 2008, 19:29
I Spent about a year with Fed Air on contract in 2005 in Goma. While I've had good experiences with most of the others I worked for as well, I'd say my best experience was with Fed Air. Basically, they were decent folks who did what they said they would and supported and backed their crews 100% I've moved on to new horizons since then, but I often think of how much I enjoyed my time with them. I'd recommend them to anyone, anytime.

Solenta
13th Mar 2008, 04:19
I was not going to post here, because there are some threads where the poster obviously have issues with Federal and/or Solenta ( just search their post history ).
However, what I do feel needs to be said is that in the past 8 months, every single person at Federal has been working tirelessly and have achieved amazing results in a short space of time. Several new post holders have been recruited, policies implemented, SOP's developed, HR and payroll system changed to address the freelance issues and ensure full time crew are employed, trained properly and paid on time. Developing systems do not happen overnight, it is not pass or fail, ( like passing that final ATP exam in January ! ;) ) It is an evolving process that requires the input from everyone, and adaptation. Federal's MD and management meet regularly with the pilots and Ops team to discuss where improvements can be made, difficulties facing the operation - where else in the world does everyone get face to face with the MD like this - not many places, I can tell you !

The pilots that have been with Federal a long time put their hands up and took responsibility to help improve "their own" company, they've worked on SOP's, Ops Manuals, Opspecs, Statement of Compliance - and have been working with Solenta and CAA on Part 61, even before it was gazetted, to ensure that they would be in compliance. This is what makes a great company - a team of people who have passion, who realise that things don't just change, you can sit about and complain, or you make them happen. I am in no way saying that Federal are "there", they know that, but they are determined to get better every day.

There have been a lot of positive changes behind the scenes, as well as at the coal-face, just have a look at the new Operations / Despatch centre at Federal. Between Federal and Solenta, over 180 pilots and employed - something must be getting done right ! In time there will be a pool of over 200 pilots, all trained to a common standard, and using similar SOP's. Both companies are winning new contracts, and expanding, offering jobs to even more pilots.

Reading this you may say I am biased toward Federal, but know this - the mandate is that Federal is its OWN company ( whatever the shareholding ).
Federal make their own decisions, their people know their business, their management and pilots determine their own destiny - from what I've seen so far, they're doing a damn good job. Both companies will work together closely, where needed, and together with the pilots, engineers and Ops staff, both companies will develop.

fastfly
13th Mar 2008, 11:14
Solenta - Very nicely said! I agree, its all about passion and love for the industry (especially amongst the management team), and i personally think thats what will "drive" Fedair to even greater things!!! Keep up the good work!

razorback
14th Mar 2008, 09:45
:ok:Absolutely, well said Solenta. And thanks for always looking out for your people. Mostly smiles at Fedair, but, like the poor, the grumps will always be among us.

ARENDIII
14th Mar 2008, 10:51
Never had the pleasure of flying for Fed air, but have only heard good things, saw the company grow from small beginnings out of Virginia to a real player. Good on you Fed Air!
You have some really good people there.
If Robin Reid is still with you-please send my regards (ex NAC ).
He may remember me as a charter jock (ex SAAF).
ArendIII.:cool:

The777dream
16th Mar 2008, 22:04
If i didnt know any better "silent observer" i would say you are in Fed Air management !!! :confused:

1 post and that info......hmmmmm......doing some your own PR here

Golf_Seirra
30th Mar 2008, 12:39
Has been with Norse on the sidelines but now has taken over the contracts in Kabul with more a/c than ever.....NAC / Solenta / Naturelink and the rest of the gang are being squeezed out......it's going to be a Immoral affair on grander scale.....:yuk:

New name, old traditions....:ouch: