PDA

View Full Version : 'Silly little spectacle'

bayete
8th Mar 2008, 14:24
Anyone any thoughts on Brian Moore's comment of 'Silly Little Spectacle' at the F3 flypast today?

Sospan
8th Mar 2008, 14:28
Well they did delay the kick off because they were late, so didn't look very good in my opinion.

Dan D'air
8th Mar 2008, 14:44
'Silly Little Spectacle'

I agree. Why waste good Tonkas on a $h1te game of football??

Pops556
8th Mar 2008, 14:53
The delay was as a result of the FAC hesitating to paint the target. There were that many juicy ones on the pitch that it confused his laser designator. Fast air resorted to plan B (A brief show of force). Maybe next time send in Widow Maker 67...:E

sandbetweenthetoes
8th Mar 2008, 14:55
I would urge everyone to complain to the BBC, I have and here is what I put:
At the begining of the match the Royal Air Force provided two Tornados to carry out a fly past of Murryfield stadium. The commentator, Brian Moore stated "we had to wait for that, I dont see why. It might look like a great spectacle, players have been out there a good 6 or 7 minutes, they want to get on with the game, lets get on with the game and not silly little spectacles like that".
The Royal Air Force are stretched beyond belief, all of the servicemen who have had to give up their weekend to make that flypast possible will be utterley disgusted by this comment, how do I know? because both my wife and I are in the RAF and know exactly how many, and how long the Sqn lads were stood in the rain carrying out pre-flight checks, upon the return of the aircraft they will need to be serviced, extra work that we dont need, if its not welcome that is!
In the current light of the Prime Minister Gordon Brown's wishes to improve the support for our troops, the comments of Mr Moore are nothing more than utterley disgraceful.
He (Mr Moore) should be made to make an on-the-air apology to the RAF. :mad:

bayete
8th Mar 2008, 15:01
SBTT - the BBC complaints system have already recieved my complaint!

Laird 'o' Balmullo
8th Mar 2008, 15:11
Its not the first time that the F3s have been "late" for a fly past at Murrayfield. Perhaps they got given the wrong minute for Murrayfield. Perhaps Edinbvrgh ATC couldn't get them through at the right minute, who knows?? In any case, what possesed Brian Moore to make such a comment? If he is incapable of saying anything useful, he shouldn't say anything at all.

F34NZ
8th Mar 2008, 15:14
I'm assuming he knows how easy it is to generate a formation of FJs over a small structure in the middle of a city in pisspoor weather, so fair comment. If he doesn't appreciate the time everyone - particularly the ground crews - put in for his silly little sport, drop him off the back of a Wokka somewhere in Helmand and let him report on something important for once in his life.

bowly
8th Mar 2008, 15:16
Whilst I usually relish the opportunity to have a dig at the Fart 3's (were they late?...they usually are!), it does seem a little inappropriate for Brian Moore to make comments like that given the recent events in the media. Having said that, I enjoy his commentary as he is always un-pc and sticks both size 9's in before thinking. It makes me laugh and his comments today did as well. I wouldn't take it to heart...

Chris Kebab
8th Mar 2008, 15:17
It was petty trite and totally uncalled for - I expect considerably better from the BBC in spending my licence money on his services.

..now back to the second half....

Brain Potter
8th Mar 2008, 15:24
'Fraid I agree with Brian Moore's sentiment if not the exact words.

There were nearly 70,000 people at Murrayfield, plus however many million watching TV, waiting for a game of rugby to kick-off. A flypast was a nicetie, but if it couldn't happen on time then it should've been called it off. The weather loooked dreadful and I'm sure that it was difficult to get through - but the pregnant pause was rather embarrassing.

As for the F3 force being overstretched :ooh: - must be all those operational commitments ;)

knowitall
8th Mar 2008, 15:57
"Well they did delay the kick off because they were late, so didn't look very good in my opinion."

were they late or were the events on the ground to early?

Frankly as its Brian Moore i'd be disapointed if he didn't moan about it!

glad rag
8th Mar 2008, 16:06
Perhaps Mr Moore would care for a PAX trip ACM style.............

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Mar 2008, 16:18
At least he was very magnanimous when describing England's performance and the final score......................Come on you Blue's :ok:

Zone 2 Alt
8th Mar 2008, 16:35
A few years ago Brian Moore attended a dining in night for 216 Sqn for no charge, gave an excellent speech and was really pro RAF. However we took him on an AAR trip so you do think he would be used to F3's turning up late!

charliegolf
8th Mar 2008, 16:37
What's the biggie? A short, fat and very ugly Englishman makes a stupid crack at a rugby game. We viewers have to put have to put up with that **** Inverdale ad nauseum. Much more complaint worthy in my opinion.

All of Jockdom seemed to enjoy the Jets. I did.

CG

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Mar 2008, 16:38
Strange how the final score is not featuring high in this thread :E

Avalon
8th Mar 2008, 16:43
I've often thought those fly-pasts are pointless because most people in the stadium can't see them anyway or if they do its very very brief.

And as for the England team performance - beggars belief :confused:.
Well done Scotland for at least turning up!

gar170
8th Mar 2008, 17:03
Scotland have turned the start into a complete farce anyway correct me if i am wrong but at the start of all international games when the anthems being played the teams stand in front of a large national flag did anybody notice the lack of the George cross.with that the england team being called out early left to cool down then waiting for a fly past which was late he has a point.

But going back to what its about well done Scotland the better team one on the day.
And that hurts saying that:O

Tonka Toy
8th Mar 2008, 17:28
Two things, Is Brian Moore from Peterborough? and, can we not just have him shot for something or other to be decided on later - any old excuse will do!:E

gar170
8th Mar 2008, 17:33
It could be worse we may of ended up having to listen to Stuart Barnes.

14greens
8th Mar 2008, 17:51
Brian Moore is from Halifax actually! Find it surprising that he should have a go though especially the amount of free beer he got when he came to 216! Then again was only a kick and clap game, gave him a good hour of chest poking why he did not try playing real rugby

PPRuNe Pop
8th Mar 2008, 18:05
I had the unfortunate experience of this idiot coming to sit on a table next to mine in a restaurant alomgside the river at Barnes.

From the moment he sat down it was obvious he was going to be an arrogant prat prepared to raise hell if things didn't suit him - never mind anyone else and so it turned out.

I thanked him for his lousy manners as I left. :eek:

Stitchbitch
8th Mar 2008, 18:21
To Quote Avalon..."I've often thought those fly-pasts are pointless because most people in the stadium can't see them anyway or if they do its very very brief."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUIO1nJesYk&feature=related

I agree that this one was a little better....:E

fatobs
8th Mar 2008, 18:37
unfortunately I missed out on Brian Moores comment.. Why because I happen to be north of the border and had to put up with the most biased commentry I have ever heard from david Sole and some other chap I can't remember and thats coming from someone who is as scottish as he is english!!!!

Shack37
8th Mar 2008, 20:10
FATOBS
I heard Brian Moore's comment and listened to an biassed commentary on the English broadcast for a while before retuning to BBC Scotland where the commentary was less so.

Il Duce
8th Mar 2008, 22:09
I don't know why the BBC bother with him; he's a misery from the start of his commentary until the very end - today's comment about the F3s is, sadly, typical. More often than not these days I find myself reducing the volume on my TV during football and rugby matches because the majority of the commentary is an irritation.

bombedup6
8th Mar 2008, 23:05
Brian Moore's commentary and tone had me really irritated by the end of the game. But as for the fly-past he was bang on the money. Ridiculous. If you're going to be late don't bother at all. A couple of planes flying over Murrayfield at the start of a rugby game adds absolutely nothing to it - I certainly didn't tune in for an RAF flypast - and gets increasingly negative the longer people have to wait for it.

What a waste of taxpayer's money!!!

Add that to the station commander of Wittering chickening out on uniforms rather than face up to a few yobs in Peterborough and this has not been the best few days of PR for the RAF

Al R
8th Mar 2008, 23:39
PPRuNE Pop said: I had the unfortunate experience of this idiot coming to sit on a table next to mine in a restaurant alomgside the river at Barnes.

From the moment he sat down it was obvious he was going to be an arrogant prat prepared to raise hell if things didn't suit him - never mind anyone else and so it turned out.

I thanked him for his lousy manners as I left. :eek:

When you thanked him Cool Mod, did he reply?

The reason that I ask is that I'm sure you'd agree that its the height of bad manners and poor service to be asked something reasonable and to then ignore the questioner.

Phochs3
9th Mar 2008, 09:28
Brian Moore always comes across as a negative, biased idiot in his commentary. I am amazed the BBC have kept him on for as long as they have!

As for the F3s, good work and good PR for the RAF.

NutherA2
9th Mar 2008, 10:09
Brian Moore’s :} comment was (typically) well out of line; the wait for the FJs’ appearance was noticeably shorter than the time the English team were made to stand in the rain before the Scots XV decided to turn up.

Another thought, was the ETA for the F3s’ flyby messed about by the late finish of the Dublin game, where the timing went by the board completely. The “glad handing” of the teams & officials by Mary McAleese http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon13.gif and the performance of both Irish anthems delayed kick-off by a little over 10 minutes :ugh:.

Arthur's Wizard
9th Mar 2008, 11:07
Aw come on guys, stop being so precious!

A2QFI
9th Mar 2008, 11:10
AW - try again in English!

Maufe
9th Mar 2008, 11:28
The Royal Air Force are stretched beyond belief, all of the servicemen who have had to give up their weekend to make that flypast possible will be utterley disgusted by this comment, how do I know? because both my wife and I are in the RAF and know exactly how many, and how long the Sqn lads were stood in the rain carrying out pre-flight checks, upon the return of the aircraft they will need to be serviced, extra work that we dont need, if its not welcome that is!

Sorry your efforts wern't appreciated enough Sandy, but in all honesty your flypast was just a (late) irrelevent 3 second sideshow at a big rugby match so don't slag off BM for having the guts to state what many people thought.

And don't anyone take this as me being disrespectful to the hard work of any branch of the services.

Tempsford
9th Mar 2008, 11:30
When it was annouced by the commentary team for the match that a flypast would take place, the camera panned to the area where the the aicraft were due to approach, you could see them in the distance, but no one commented that they could see them inbound. The camera then panned back to the pitch and as the aircraft flew overhead, the cameras briefly picked them up overhead the stadium. Then we had the typical 'off the cuff', 'didn't engage brain before opening mouth' comment.

My point is that the impression given by the BBC was that the flypast was an inconvenience getting in the way of the match rather than building it up to be a spectacle that we do not see a lot of and when it does happen, it is much appreciated. The production/presentation team for the BBC handled the flypast badly.

With the recent situation in Peterborough, the timing of the comments made was poor and due to the emotion that the Peterborough situation has stirred up, was offensive to many. He should apologise for his comments and then we should all move on.

Temps

serf
9th Mar 2008, 11:54
I missed the game yesterday, what was the score?

r2_unit
9th Mar 2008, 12:11
I can 'reveal' with reasonable confidence that the F3s arrived at the requested time to the second.

r2

Slotback
9th Mar 2008, 12:19
Amazing what tripe people can speak. Has anyone actually asked to see if the flypast was late or if the other pre-match events finished early? Probably not, it's easier to live off prejudice and arrogant ignorance, may be that is why there is an image problem with the general public.

Most of the above comments are as well thought out and useful as noBrain Moore's. I sure that given the choice people wouldn't choose to come in to work on an extra day to do a job that was unappreciated. Not doing the flypast would be easy.

I thought we didn't pander to the purile and ignorant comments of oafs - but then I read that we have given in to a small insignificant minority in Petersbourgh.

The RAF is 90 this year let's be pride and be SEEN to be pride of what we do. We are after all the best at it.

bombedup6
9th Mar 2008, 12:25
r2

Oh, I see, arrived on time "to the second." Nothing wrong with Irrelevant Aircraft and their planning. Its all you millions of rugby fans who are the problem.

The basic problem with the RAF is that it has lost touch with the general public and can now only see itself from its own perspective (ergo the Wittering boss who sees her first priority as 'protecting her people" rather than 'engaging with the enemy' - the Peterborough yobs.)

gar170
9th Mar 2008, 12:31
I missed the game yesterday, what was the score?

Were not falling for that one:=.

knowitall
9th Mar 2008, 13:04
"Oh, I see, arrived on time "to the second." Nothing wrong with Irrelevant Aircraft and their planning. Its all you millions of rugby fans who are the problem."

no you muppet what he's saying is the F3's arrived when they were instructed to by the event organisers

they can only go by the instructions they're given

if the F3's turn up when they're told to and the event organisers timings are out, how is that the RAF's fault?

PPRuNe Radar
9th Mar 2008, 13:29
Most people in the stadium would probably only hear the noise of the jets for a second or two and might (if lucky) catch a fleeting glimpse of the aircraft.

Nice idea to have a flypast in principle, but totally pointless to have one over an enclosed stadium which will take less than half a second to fly over.

Whilst I wouldn't agree with BM's tone, I'd agree it was a waste of time and not required for future matches as it adds nothing to the event.

If the RAF want a bit of PR at such games, send their band or a drill team. At least the spectators might see something and relate to it.

glad rag
9th Mar 2008, 13:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfSQTKwCUNI&feature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgQNLctHPA&feature=related

oh what was the score anyway....:suspect:

davejb
9th Mar 2008, 13:45
3-1 to Arsenal, Blanchflower, Matthews and Greaves got the first 3, Blenkinsop pulled one back for Bradford in extra time.

Glad to help...

glad rag
9th Mar 2008, 13:59
:ouch: ;)

bombedup6
9th Mar 2008, 14:51
KnowItAll

" If the F3's turn up when they're told to and the event organisers timings are out, how is that the RAF's fault?"

Agreed, partly. Its not entirely the RAF's fault. But the RAF should have the PR nous to know that a badly-timed fly-past at an event where fly-past's are a considerable, over-the-top irrelevance is worse than not appearing at all.

They should have had someone in the stadium say 'call it off,' or arranged to do it at halftime, or been stacked to come in earlier, as required.

This is the same RAF that so misunderstands the public it had to cancel its whole Spirit of the Air shows after the very first, abyssmal, show at Abingdon last summer.

CrazyMonkey
9th Mar 2008, 16:29
Bombedup6. You seem to be 180 out with public opinion. You are bewilderingly critical of the RAF's PR machine.

You have, in the past, questioned the existence of the Red Arrows and provided us with a 'public view' of how mundane they are. If that is what you believe then I would encourage you to visit an airshow this summer. At Kemble last year the small crowd cheered and clapped so loudly that the jet noise was drowned out. The public recognise the Red Arrows as British excellence which promotes the military at home and the UK abroad.

I think you are totally wrong about the Murrayfield flypast. The opportunity to see a front-line jet on display was a magnificent achievement in PR. Brian Moore's comments are irrelevant. For millions of people to see the jet that protects the UK on operations 24 hours a day is great PR and far more impressive than any non-televised event. I would have thought you would have fully supported this?

I partly agree with you about the Abingdon event. Hopefully lessons have been learnt.

CM

Alber Ratman
9th Mar 2008, 17:02
Regardless of the pros and cons of an F3 flypast, I'm fed up with the SRFU continualy doing the "Braveheart" rubbish for every International. National Anthems, like EVERBODY ELSE and if you have to, present the Princess Royal.

Forget the rest.

SRENNAPS
9th Mar 2008, 17:25
I heard that they were late because they considered flying across to Ireland’s Croke Park in honour of the Triple Crown for Wales.

r2_unit
9th Mar 2008, 19:40
Agreed, partly. Its not entirely the RAF's fault. But the RAF should have the PR nous to know that a badly-timed fly-past at an event where fly-past's are a considerable, over-the-top irrelevance is worse than not appearing at all.

They should have had someone in the stadium say 'call it off,' or arranged to do it at halftime, or been stacked to come in earlier, as required.

bombedup6,

I don't really understand your point old chap. Are you saying you'd have called it off? And if so, for what reason?

As for badly-timed - i say again that they were bang on time to the second as requested.

r2

Air Defender
9th Mar 2008, 19:49
r2 unit,
You seem remarkably well informed about the timing of the flypast. Were you some how connected or just an innocent passenger? :ok:

TheWizard
9th Mar 2008, 19:57
Does anyone here actually know who organised the flypast?

Did Murrayfield or the SRFU contact the 'local' RAF station across the water and make the request for a flypast to add a bit of something different to their rugby extravaganza
OR
Did the RAF PR machine ring up and say please, please can we bring a whole load of people in at the weekend to provide a 3 second overhead flypast for an international rugby match?
OR
Did someone at said RAF Station get offered a few freebie tickets in return?:confused:

Algy
9th Mar 2008, 22:25
An ill-conceived idea leading to an ill-conceived remark. Best forgotten.

Sometimes flypasts work (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3874984&postcount=72), sometimes they don't.

Safety_Helmut
9th Mar 2008, 23:09
Regardless of the pros and cons of an F3 flypast, I'm fed up with the SRFU continualy doing the "Braveheart" rubbish for every International. National Anthems, like EVERBODY ELSE and if you have to, present the Princess Royal.
We had to wait for 50 posts before someone got to the point of Brian Moore's comment. I think he was as fed up as everyone else with all that Braveheart sh!te that we get every time at Murrayfield.

BTW, well done Scotland on your win. Oooooh, that was painful ! :{

S_H

serf
10th Mar 2008, 07:52
Is there any footage of said flypast, did the have the burners or was it a whisper past at 1000' that no-one in the stadium noticed?

What was the score?

hellsbrink
10th Mar 2008, 08:32
Was a low speed flypast, serf

Can't seem to remember the score, for some reason.... :E

Wrathmonk
10th Mar 2008, 08:58
Could always post a comment to him through his website ...

http://www.brianpitbullmoore.co.uk/index.cfm

;)

Wingswinger
10th Mar 2008, 09:35
The thing about flypasts is that timing has to be perfect - on the part of ALL concerned. How do you control the timing of two rugby teams, sundry officials, event organisers, bands, the media and 70,000 spectators? Did they all synchronise watches on "hack"? How much rehersal did the aforesaid thousands do in order to time their activities so that everything could be co-ordinated to the second?

The last time I did a flypast was at a the end of a BoB cocktail party. The band was playing The Last Post, the RAF Ensign on the flagpole in front of the mess was being lowered in time with it, and just as the Ensign hit the bottom the band played the last note and we arrived spot on, fast and low, from behind the assembled mess members, guests and dignitaries and pulled up into the night sky with burners lit. Those assembled said it was very impressive and brought a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. But it had taken planning and co-ordination and split-second timing between the bandmaster, the SWO, ATC and ourselves.

GPMG
10th Mar 2008, 09:35
A fly past for an audience in a stadium? What a daft idea. And if it was late and thus delayed the game (the reason that the people were there in the first place) then yes I can understand people frustration. It should have been cancelled.

Perhaps an AAC Apache landing in the stadium pirouetting around whilst aiming the locking onto various objects with the gun and then delivering the match ball would have been a bit more of a spectacle and would have hammered home the "by the way, we are fighting a couple of wars" message.

Yes the commentator made an unfortunate comment as it was on national tv, but he was only voicing what many were probably thinking.

Echo 5
10th Mar 2008, 12:01
Serf,

As no one else wants to post it I will:

15 - 9 in Scotland's favour.

BTW, thanks to the Tornado crews for the late (ish) flypast. On a positive note dear Jonny was just that little bit wetter and colder. Spoiled his whole day I think :)

Inspector Dreyfuss
10th Mar 2008, 15:10
I was sat in the west stand and the flypast was pretty good considering the claggy weather. Not as good as Measles at Kent though. Unfortunately, as an Englishman, it was just about the highlight of the day - apart from the opportunity to have a few beers with some rugby mates. Shame about Mooro's comment - you can't accuse him of being a bland commentator or lacking opinions. You take the rough with the smooth - rather insensitive on this occasion perhaps.
To add insult to injury - I just passed over a bottle of malt having lost a bet with a Scottish colleague! It wasn't the losing that hurt most - just the pain of having to listen to the cursed Proclaimers over and over again in the pubs!!!

bayete
10th Mar 2008, 15:49
Inspector D,
Do you mean the kind of "training" in this video? Alice not Kent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zmTaahQAs

BTW you can't call them Measels any more, something to do with encouraging low flying.

Inspector Dreyfuss
10th Mar 2008, 15:57
I recall sitting in the dining room at Mt Kent in 1995 with the MPA Gp Capt (now a 2 star) and an F3 crew (Piers was the nav). We all pretended that the roof was definitely not shaking during some rather adjacent operational trg. No-one said a word!

mr fish
10th Mar 2008, 16:43
as sports go, if it don't run on petrol, methanol, turps etc, it ain't worth a w:mad:k!!!!

Echo 5
11th Mar 2008, 14:49
Just heard on the news that Wilkinson has been dropped for the England v Ireland match. Lets hope that is the end of the opportunist drop kick era. It would be nice if the Scotland selectors follow suit and bin Parks. We may then see some creative Rugby.:D

Wiiflyhigh
11th Mar 2008, 14:56
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they were late.

If they had showed up on time then we wouldn't be having this 4 page discussion.

Perhaps the F-3 fleet should conduct a proper time hack before they go flying next time!!!!

Or better still, convert to a better platform.

MightyGem
11th Mar 2008, 15:18
So, were they late or not? Whichever, can't say I'm impressed by this comment:
I'm assuming he knows how easy it is to generate a formation of FJs over a small structure in the middle of a city in pisspoor weather,
No more difficult than achieving a TOT I would have thought.

Wiiflyhigh
11th Mar 2008, 15:33
Couldn't agree with you more. It was piss poor and no matter how individuals want to flower it up, they need to eat some humble pie, admit they screwed up and move on. All these excuses about weather blah blah blah just smacks of unprofessionalism. You screwed up, take the hit and this thread would only be a page long!!!:ugh:

Echo 5
11th Mar 2008, 16:11
C'mon guys lighten up. So they were late, so what ? Also remember they just didn't fly over the stadium they flew over a large portion of Edinburgh and would have been sighted by tens of thousands of people on the ground. It probably brightened up an otherwise dull day for a lot of people.

Anyway that's in the past.............we can now look forward to Ireland doing the business at Twickenham next Saturday.:)

niknak
11th Mar 2008, 16:26
Not only were they late, they were totally and utterly pointless and a very poor reflection upon the management team behind the pilots, who themselves must be very angry at the farce.

The only thing the MOD can offer to brighten up anyone's day is the Red Arrows and we all know that they have more needy and proper demands upon their time.

It was an embarrasing farce, typical of poor organisation by the Scottish RFU and the MOD,
Brian Moore was absolutely spot on - may it never ever happen again.

OmegaV6
11th Mar 2008, 18:21
Has it actually been shown, anywhere, that they were in fact "late" ?? The only reference I can find to them being "late" is the television comment by Mr Moore .. just why is his word given so much credence ??

Most flypasts EITHER have a specific time or the aircraft are "called in" by ground comms .... which was the case here ???

If it was a SPECIFIC time ... just how far "off" were they, if any ??? If they were "called in" then it probably wasn't their "fault"... either way .. there are an awful lot of assumptions being made in this thread .. and very few facts .....

As I was always taught ... don't make ann ASS out of U and ME

;);)

Bigears
11th Mar 2008, 18:30
niknak,
I beg to differ with the whole of your post!
Still smarting? Its only a game :E

OmegaV6 - the voice of reason :D

theonewhoknows
11th Mar 2008, 19:58
I've lost the thread!

They were not late. Anyone who says so is speaking out of their a..., but that's not what's important. I suspect most of the posts here are from those who wish they could do it, and/or, couldn never have done it in the first place.

Everyone else with a negative comment is a w..... and should get off this forum and go prattle somewhere else.

Await more specious comments.:ugh:

Duckbutt
11th Mar 2008, 20:20
Whether they were late or not is irrelevant, the timing was, for whatever reason, wrong. If the 3 second exercise was to be done at all it should have been done at half time when no one would have been inconvenienced if it had been a minute or so either way from a given time.

Bit arrogant that o knowledgeable one "anyone who disagrees with what I think is a winker and should take their prattle elsewhere". Still, I would defend your right to express your views however idiotic they may sound.

Air Defender
11th Mar 2008, 20:55
Half time great idea! So if there is a cock up anywhere in the timing the F3s can fly through shot as the camera pans up for one of the never ending series of kicks. For those who want clarity on facts I suggest you scroll back to r2 units comments.

Duckbutt
11th Mar 2008, 21:14
Assuming the absence of ground comms yes, schedule for the end of the half time break. Whilst there is every chance of of the first half ending late due to injury (as in fact did happpen on Saturday) it is unlikely that the second half would start early. Therefore to this simple mind the window of opportunity is about five minutes as opposed to the one minute or so that Saturday’s fly past had when it all went wrong causing an embarrassment rather than the desired PR success.

maxburner
11th Mar 2008, 22:08
I suspect the F3 chaps arrived to the second, as briefed, because they are professionals, just like the rest of the RAF. Should they have been there at all? Who knows, but I don't see the point. Is Brian Moore's nickname Thrush for nothing? No, he is an irritating ****. That said, he's often right when it comes to rugby, especially so on Saturday when England indulged in a bout of pointless kicking to nowhere in particular.

Were England crap? Absolutely the worst England display since the last crappy England display. Scotland would have had to turn up in stiletto heels to have lost. Scotland are a poor team this season, but even so they deserved the win.

As for all that Braveheart stuff, give it a rest guys. Look forward, not backwards. And Braveheart was a pretty poor movie. Surely there's more to be said for Scotland than we won a battle a long time ago and we can't move on. Or maybe not?

Roymac
11th Mar 2008, 22:34
OK, enough. Here are the facts:

1. The original TOT was 15:14:50 - that is 10 sec before the game was due to be kicked off.
2. A revised but [U]unpublished[U] TOT of 15:19:50 was selected by the SRU some days before the game.
3. The formation received another 1 min slip 3 mins before TOT, i.e. the new TOT was now 15:20:50 for a kick off at 15:21:00.
4. The TOT achieved by the formation was 15:20:50, EXACTLY the time requested by the SRU.

This thread, like many in this forum, is filled with people who are talking from a position of ignorance and therefore posting complete bollocks. These are the facts. I know because I was the formation leader and yes the weather was crap.
To my mind this finishes this thread, unless you want to talk more bollocks.

Roymac

Zoom
11th Mar 2008, 22:37
The flypast was a waste of time - on time or otherwise. So was the match from my perspective. Full stop.

Brian Moore always entertains, unlike that Welsh tw*t with him. That Welsh tw*t's outrageous comment about Wilkinson taking a dive when he was strung up by the throat was typical of him and he deserved the verbal belting that Moore gave him. It probably went physical after the match.

bombedup6
12th Mar 2008, 15:39
Roymac

So you did as you were told, to the second. Well done. I'll blame the SRU for the timing.

The point remains that, to the players, officials, spectators and millions watching on TV you WERE late, and as a result you were indeed a "silly little spectacle".

Echo 5
12th Mar 2008, 16:33
Roymac,

Just ignore all these feckin know all tw@ts on here. Bottom line is that your efforts were appreciated by 67,500 spectators less the few whingers on here and of course Brian Moore. Thank you. :)

MightyGem
12th Mar 2008, 17:10
4. The TOT achieved by the formation was 15:20:50, EXACTLY the time requested by the SRU.
Thanks, Roymac. My faith is restored. :ok:

Maufe
12th Mar 2008, 17:42
Just ignore all these feckin know all tw@ts on here. Bottom line is that your efforts were appreciated by 67,500 spectators less the few whingers on here

Thank the Lord there are people like you, Echo 5, who are around to put us know all twats right (what ever happened to tolerance and respect for the views of others?).

Incidentally, I understand that you are not a know all **** but how do you know that the fly past was appreciated by everyone in the stadium? How many even saw the 3 second spectacle of grey jets flying over against a background of low, grey clouds?

Echo 5
12th Mar 2008, 17:59
Maufe,

less the few whingers on here

I would assume that you fall into this category then. BTW........ were you actually there ?

As you haven't had the courtesy to fill in your public profile one wonders what qualifies you to criticise the professionalism of these guys who gave up their time to put on a show for Joe Public.

Oh,

How many even saw the 3 second spectacle of grey jets flying over against a background of low, grey clouds?

Saw the jet pipes glowing very nicely thank you.:bored:

goudie
12th Mar 2008, 18:11
God there are some miserable buggahs around.

Thanks for info. Roymac. Echo your comments 'Echo 5'

Well done Tornado crews, air and ground.

gar170
12th Mar 2008, 18:11
As you haven't had the courtesy to fill in your public profile one wonders what qualifies you to criticise the professionalism of these guys who gave up their time to put on a show for Joe Public.

I think you will find that it is Joe public who are paying for their time and i am sure that if they worked the weekend they got time for it in the week.

Maufe
12th Mar 2008, 18:19
Echo, I absolutely do NOT criticise the professionalism of these guys, I have no qualifications whatsoever to do so. Clearly, as the man said, as one would expect from these extremely competent crews they did arrive EXACTLY at the appointed time.

However, surely even someone as blinkered as you seem to be would have to agree that for whatever reason everyoneone had to stand around getting cold till they arrived and it didn't look good. It would seem to me, as a complete layman, that SOMEONE got the timings wrong.

Sorry, when it did finally happen it was NOT a show, just two Tornadoes flying over and (just) visible for a couple of seconds.

Echo 5
12th Mar 2008, 18:37
I think you will find that it is Joe public who are paying for their time

Correct.......and thousands of people over Fife and the Lothians saw what they were paying for.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:bored::bored::bored::bored:

Time to close this thread methinks.

PPRuNe Pop
12th Mar 2008, 18:53
I didn't know that last post was up - BUT I agree and it is time to close the thread. There is actually not much more that can be said that has not been said already.