PDA

View Full Version : IR Renewal Questions

jayteeto
8th Mar 2008, 06:36
I have asked a number of schools the same questions and got many different answers, Lasors seems to be interperated many ways, so here goes:

I last renewed my MEP IR in Nov 03 using a PA44 aircraft. I would like to renew it before the 5 year deadline. Some schools say an aircraft must be used, others say a suitable Sim will suffice. I do know that to use a sim, the basic MEP rating must be valid. Fair enough, but using a sim for the IR would save me in the region of £1000. Which is it to be oh clever Pruners?

paco
8th Mar 2008, 06:40
I used a sim a couple of years ago at Bristol, and it was valid despite the fact that my MEP validation had run out. I found that the money saved was offset by the the time spent getting used to the sim. I should have used the aircraft in the first place and the validation would have been included.

Phil

jayteeto
8th Mar 2008, 07:25
I am a helicopter man by trade and haven't been near an aeroplane for 2 years, so I will be refreshing on either!!

GARDENER
8th Mar 2008, 08:26
I was in a similar position (4 years 8 months from initial) and was informed that in order to revalidate your IR in the sim you need to do it within the 12 months from initial to reval or reval to reval. If you go over the 12 months then you must do it in the aircraft. Additionally if you do it in the sim one year then next time must be AC.
Also had to renew my MEP as it was out by 6 years so had to do exam, sufficient retraining and flight test which was done in the same flight as IR.
I stand to be corrected but based on my experience that it how it went!

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Notex%205-2007.pdf

jayteeto
8th Mar 2008, 09:21
Thank you, the renewal/revalidation seems to be the confusing bit, so aeroplane it is.
Now I have a new question seeing as the cost has just rocketed. My ATPL is a UKCAA green one. A lot of USA schools are claiming to be able to renew JAA ratings. Is there a difference between the IR's or can I renew a CAA IR in Florida?

Keygrip
8th Mar 2008, 11:52
As a slight aside, jayteeto (and Gardener), if you passed your last test in November 03 - or indeed any date - the "deadline", as you call it, is 6 years.

jayteeto
8th Mar 2008, 12:18
Keygrip, PM coming your way!!

Keygrip
8th Mar 2008, 14:18
I'd prefer e-mail: [email protected]

moggiee
8th Mar 2008, 20:15
Quite simply, if it's more than 12 months then it HAS to be done on the aeroplane. If you do it on a sim you will have spent money on an invalid renewal but sadly, there are some FTOs that don't know the rules.

Terminology:

Renewal - if you let it go more than 12 months and must be done on the aeroplane.

Revalidation - if it's less than 12 months and revalidations can be done on a sim IF, and only IF, the last one was done on the aeroplane.

Hope that clears it up.

LH2
8th Mar 2008, 21:08
Just a question, does it have to be renewed in the UK, or would anywhere else in JAA land do? I've got the feeling the latter is more likely (even though the CAA might not be entirely forthcoming with their answer).

Reason I ask is because if it can be done, a £60 investment on a flight to Malaga would get you a reval for less than you would pay the CAA examiner alone.

You can then spend your change on a weekend on the beach with your wife/partner/dog :E

Edit to say: I hadn't noticed your post #5 above. Same idea, closer to home.

IRISHPILOT
8th Mar 2008, 22:50
Don't know about the examiner fee in the UK, but there is none here. Just the customary bottle of something nice.

And with an ME aircraft not costing more than 150GBP an hour, the whole thing should not set ou back too much.

Really depends what you want: renew the ME IR only, do it in a cheap sim (I know, LASORS does not allow you after all this time, but other CAAs do, so look elsewhere). If you want the MEP too, it'll have to be the aircraft.

good luck with whatever you decide! IP