PDA

View Full Version : Anglo American Aviation not SEVIS approved!

187nj
7th Mar 2008, 12:36
Woke up this morning, checked my email only to find an email from AAA to say that SEVIS have revoked their approval.

To cut a long story short, I'm a bit worried about getting money back but AAA have promised to give me my deposit back. The US Embassy have kindly said I can reschedual my appointment but I've not heard from the TSA guys, I hope they can see the problem and let me change flight schools without losing any money.

So the next question is, what do I do now? I'm half considering jacking the whole going stateside thing altogether. I seem to be alright as I am. Managed to pass AV Law yesterday with 87% and Human Performance the week before with 95%. Meterology doesn't seem that bad either even though just about every pilot I've spoken to has said I'd fail both AV Law and Meterology 1st time.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I suppose I'd like to still go over to the states but Florida doesn't really sound that nice and I was hoping to combined a bit of travelling with flight training. Perhaps I could look into schools else where but I'm only aware of the US thing really as its alot cheaper than doing a JAA-PPL in europe.

Hufty
7th Mar 2008, 17:41
I'm sorry to hear that your plans have taken on the shape of a pear! I went to AAA several years ago but am unable to recommend them.

I hope you are able to change schools but by not going to AAA you're avoiding the worst of the wx....San Diego suffers from the "May grey or the June gloom" so you would have been sitting on the ground a lot anyway. It is a nice city and well worth a visit, but not necessarily for your PPL at this time of year.

I wouldn't worry about FL not being that "nice" - it is fine. You're there anyway to do your PPL not go sightseeing! It is low lying too so any low level stratus needn't be a huge problem. I would definately go for the US - it is going to be cheaper than the UK and the Americans embrace GA while in the UK it is merely tolerated.

Good luck with your PPL!! PM me if you would like some more info on CA vs FL....I've done both.

AvEnthusiast
11th Mar 2008, 12:12
Hey 187nj,

you should have post this on the following thread http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=309853

but anyway, tell us more about this now. It means they won't receive foreing students anymore?

nickhall
12th Jun 2008, 17:35
187nj

What did you decide to do in the end?

I have just signed up with AAA to do my PPL in September, giving myself nearly 5 weeks to complete.

I've had a chat with one of the owners of AAA and he confirmed they have lost their SEVIS status, but the California Flight Academy are issuing the I-20 visa on their behalf.

It sounds as though they have sold the school, but business should continue as normal?!

Any other views/feedback would be appreciated.

scotskenny
12th Jun 2008, 18:19
Im also planning to go to San Diego later this year, therefore I would be interested to hear from anyone with any recent experience of AAA.

youngskywalker
12th Jun 2008, 19:20
'CFA issuing the visa on their behalf...That doesnt sound legal to me, and if they are doing that then it's probably best not to discuss those details on a public site such as this! I would personally run away.

Xorthis
15th Jul 2008, 08:34
Nick, looks like we'll be at AAA at the same time. I've just signed up for 6 weeks from August-October. Nice to know there'll be some fellow brits there too. How have you found the Visa process so far?

I'm guessing it was Andy you spoke with at AAA? Afaik the two flight schools are partners so the SEVIS sharing is legal. CFA don't offer JAA courses at all so I expect it makes for a good business relationship between the schools. If it makes you uncomfortable however, the other option is to travel on the Visa Waiver Program. This allows you to stay for up to 90 days as long as you're not doing more than 16 hours a week training (Ground school and flying).

I'm still interested to know if they planned to lose the SEVIS status and go along with CFA, or if it was another reason...

Tootles the Taxi
15th Jul 2008, 20:00
If it makes you uncomfortable however, the other option is to travel on the Visa Waiver Program. This allows you to stay for up to 90 days as long as you're not doing more than 16 hours a week training (Ground school and flying).

You'd be advised to run a search on this subject - lot's of good advice on this forum. :ok:

nickhall
15th Jul 2008, 20:30
Xorthis, looking forward to meeting you.
Visa process you ask??!! I take it you have found it as exasperating as I have? If it was just the Visa to deal with, it wouldn't be too bad. But I have found the whole TSA/fingerprinting issue an absolute nightmare! Having said that, the Americans are extremely helpful and a quick phone call or e-mail, and any problem is dealt with efficiently.
Having my prints done in Oxford on Friday, and Embassy interview in 2 weeks time. I'd like to say I can relax after that, but my head will be firmly planted in my study material!
See you there!

Phalare
17th Jul 2008, 14:15
I will be with you guys :)
Starting mid-august, until i get it ! (up to 6 weeks)
(but sorry i'm not brit !)
Apparently the school is being sold as a going concern, so they intend to keep all aircrafts and staff. Regarding the SEVIS status, apparently they lost it because of a security issue...

See you there !