PDA

View Full Version : Ideal airline pilot personality?

nflyer
7th Mar 2008, 10:33
Does anyone know what are good attributes of perosnality an airline pilot should have?

Jus wondring?

Whirlygig
7th Mar 2008, 10:37
A pilot should never make assumptions! :}

The "personality" tests so beloved of many training organisations and even airlines want an extrovert team-worker.

Cheers

Whirls

nflyer
7th Mar 2008, 10:39
So if your a bit on the quiet side and slightly introverted does that mean you are unlikely to gain employment?

coodem
7th Mar 2008, 11:44
According to the HPL, Be both people and goal orientated

SparksFlyHigh
7th Mar 2008, 18:50
Arrogant and Pessimistic

Shunter
7th Mar 2008, 20:13
Psychometrics are looking for stable extroverts. Have a flick back through your HPL books.

fantom
7th Mar 2008, 20:30
Big watch and mouth to match.

speedrestriction
7th Mar 2008, 20:54
nflyer,

Don't worry about it. You'll find all sorts of different people in the cockpit, same as anywhere else. Loud, quiet, funny, dour, interesting and (very rarely)boring. Basically once you are able to communicate effectively on the job (and in an interview), there won't be a problem.

There are far worse attributes in the cockpit than being quiet.

sr

FougaMagister
7th Mar 2008, 21:52
"A big watch, a loud mouth and an empty wallet"! (RAF dixit :ok: )

Cheers :cool:

lazy george
8th Mar 2008, 07:55
I suppose its all about how you act when your in the cockpit. A captain of a large airline i know drinks nearlly a vat of wine a night, every second word is :mad: and once got detained abroad for some minor football violence(said it was wrong place wrong time). I'm pretty sure that none of that becomes apparent when he's sat in the seat though

Whirlygig
8th Mar 2008, 09:11
Unfortunately, I bet it is apparent!!

Cheers

Whirls

Wilton Shagpile
8th Mar 2008, 11:21
Aviation attracts all kinds if different people....note what speedrestriction says...

Why are you asking though? Are you worried that your personality will be a barrier to you getting a job? You just neeed to be a good communicator and a likeable person. you also need to be able to function in a team and have enough self-awareness to know how you're percieved by your colleagues.

Don't try to pretend you're something that you're not....you will possibly fool enough people for long enough to get in, but it will be a long career for you if you have to keep the game up for 40 years.

Just have confidence in yourself!!

Leeds1972
8th Mar 2008, 11:38
Series of books by Dale Carnegie all though pretty dated now give some very good tips on how to win friends and influence people.
I found I only use a fraction of the tips in the book but they definitely work and make you think about how you act around others, especially in an interview scenario even if most of it is common sense.