PDA

View Full Version : Best Qualification?

ASCOT Ops Retd
7th Mar 2008, 08:40
Chaps

I'm sure this is old ground, but grateful for any input. I'm leaving the RAF within the next 12 months and will probably aim to stay in the ops environment. The RAF will fund some form of resettlement training for whatever my chosen career is, and I would like to make maximum use of this allowance.

An FAA license seems universally recognised, but are their alternatives worth looking at? What opens doors?

Zulu ONE
25th Mar 2008, 17:46
hi,
I have jest left the fleet air arm and looking for op's jobs. I used my ELC's on a corse called Airline operation and dispatch which is run by navtec 2000. They are a nice company who will do anything for you. The FAA stuff you cant get with your ELC there is a reason but its to long to go it to it,but the short story is the MOD is to skint to pay for it.
Sorry I havent been on here for a bit and only jest seen your thread

Lauderdale
25th Mar 2008, 18:48
Hey Ascot!

Unfortunately you are right - this subject has been covered though many posts, I suggest you just start browsing through them and establish your own opinion.

Interestingly you did use the phrase 'open doors'. From that point of view the FAA is your key (pardon the pun). I can vouch for that from experience.

For FAA info google schools like 'sheffield' etc. I cant advise you reference the ELC ins and outs but getting a 'ticket' will sure be worth the time & effort (and cost....).

ASCOT Ops Retd
26th Mar 2008, 14:23
Thanks Zulu ONE & Lauderdale,

I've looked further into Sheffield since first writing and the Resettlement feedback is mixed - as Zulu ONE says, they won't pay for the course unless Sheffield are ELC registered, but provided I do it in time (ie. before I leave), the Service will pay my food/accom and some costs.

Unfortunately Sheffield haven't replied to either of my e-mails, so I'm not enthralled by their service; they're hardly biting my hand off for £3k. I'll probably rule them out for now, but if someone does have contacts at Sheffield, it'd be worth their while looking into Enhanced Learning Credit Accreditation, as overseas courses are funded. Moreover, there are a lot of people walking from the RAF with up to $4k worth of ELC to spend with the organisation willing to make the effort.

I'll have a look at Navtech now...

ferhankaka
26th Mar 2008, 16:03
i am in the same boat as you are on finding the right school. Schefield seems like a good school, but the way they market themselves is a little suspecious. If it is the FAA liscense that u seek, then i suggest attending the school that is the cheapest, because they all teach you the same thing the same way, what your final objective is, is to pass the FAA exams, and most if not all teach you the same basic curriculum. I have been researching on this for quite a time now and reached my conclusion that i would want to go to IFOD. They seem resonably good, and cheap too.
so best of luck, let me know when do you plan to attend. can give you some more information.

Lauderdale
29th Mar 2008, 07:30
Your post must contain some of the worst information I have ever read anywhere on Pal.

".......,.i suggest attending the school that is the cheapest, because they all teach you the same thing the same way....."

1) Passing the actual FAA exam, especially the ADX isnt rocket science, the oral can be a bit more tricky, the difference lies in what the school teaches you in addtion to the FAA curriculum. They DO NOT teach you all the same.

2) Your obviously very naive when it comes to the UK (for example) job market and think that UK Operation Managers do not know what is a good reputation school and what isnt. They most certainly do my dear boy. And if someone follows YOUR advice just to go to the cheapest FAA Dispatch school to get the cheapest ticket then shame on you for making them make a very BAD investment. because it will be a waist of money.

Unlike you I have not only researched this issue - I have the ticket, as well as the Jeppesen ticket and the UKOMA ticket, BOND Aviation ticket, NATS internal ticket etc etc and have a very good idea what airlines require, especially as I am the one asking the questions during the interview!

Ascot - it's a shame you couldnt get through to Sheffield, they are normally excellent with their information packs. PM if you like to see you have right address.

But what ever you do mate: IGNORE Ferhankaka 'advice' (I should really replace it with a four letter word!).