PDA

View Full Version : Maths and Physics GCSE or A -Level

z114d
6th Mar 2008, 14:40
Hi,

am going to be starting my PPL hoply soon, and in that time or after i will be looking for a Pilot Sponsorship Scheme.

But i have no GCSE or no A-Level, i only have Microsoft certifications and IT certifications.

so would i need to do any GCSE or A-level for a Sponsorship Scheme or to become an Pilot.

1. So am i worth going to do GCSE or A-level Distance Learning?

2. IF so what should i do Math, Physics and English?

99jolegg
6th Mar 2008, 15:02
You have no GCSEs or A levels at all?

As far as I know, most FTOs and airlines require 5 GCSE passes at A* - C, to include maths and english. Some places require two or three A levels, especially the sponsorship schemes.

A GCSE in maths and physics with 3 other subjects you enjoy would be a good plan.

Alternatively, you can find out if your current qualifications have any value to FTOs.

If you want to go down the sponsored route, you'll have to do A levels too.

Put1992
6th Mar 2008, 16:44
You have no GCSEs or A levels at all?

As far as I know, most FTOs and airlines require 5 GCSE passes at A* - C, to include maths and english. Some places require two or three A levels, especially the sponsorship schemes.

A GCSE in maths and physics with 3 other subjects you enjoy would be a good plan.

Alternatively, you can find out if your current qualifications have any value to FTOs.

If you want to go down the sponsored route, you'll have to do A levels too.

For PPL?

Perhaps for sponsorship, but i don't think it's the case for a normal PPL

99jolegg
6th Mar 2008, 16:47
No, you don't need any qualification (other than to qualify for the medical and written exams) for the PPL but z114d is aiming at airline sponsorship. Sorry if I misled.

Put1992
6th Mar 2008, 16:49
No, you don't need any qualification (other than to qualify for the medical and written exams) for the PPL but z114d is aiming at airline sponsorship. Sorry if I misled.

Ah, so he is, in which case z114d, follow both our advice

BerksFlyer
6th Mar 2008, 17:45
As said in your previous thread, not sure if you got the message, but there are very few sponsorship schemes. It's not like it used to be. Those that exist require A levels at least and the competition for places is fierce. It's been said on here a few times before that if you weren't good at school, sponsorship probably isn't the best route for you.

Without academic qualifications, your best bet would be the self sponsored route. With perseverance and effort you will get there I'm sure, though maybe without maths and physics to at least GCSE standard, some of the theory you may find hard.

z114d
7th Mar 2008, 08:42
thanks alot for all the replys,

i think it would be best for me to start my PPL and also do Maths and Physics GCSE and A-level.

thank for your advices!

thesexypilot
7th Mar 2008, 09:26
that is very true, however there are more approved airline schemes than what was in place before September 11th where A-levels may be importent.

CTC represents almost 2 handfulls of airlines.
Flybe has an approved scheme at both FTE and Oxford, a special scheme at Atlantic and Sponsorship at Cabair.
BA CitiFlyer has an approved scheme at FTE
Thmoas Cooke has an approved through Oxford,
Net Jets through Oxford,
Thomsonfly at FTE has an approved scheme,
Excel, at Oxford

so there are quite a few to aim for and because they are financed through the bank there tend to be more places available than original sponsorships.

GS-Alpha
7th Mar 2008, 09:43
z114d

Without first time passes in your GCSEs, (and indeed your driving test) you have very little chance of being sponsored by an airline. Sorry to be so blunt. Assuming no sponsorship, you do not need the GCSEs or A-levels to become a pilot, so I would not bother studying for them now.

In my school, if you were in the top Maths set, you did a lower paper GCSE at the end of the first year of GCSE study. Even if you got 100% in these lower papers, the best grade you could get was a grade C. However, you had to obtain that grade C pass, or you would drop a set the following year and never have a shot at doing the harder papers and obtaining a grade A or B at the end of the full two years. Stupid policy, but that is what they made you do.

I was a sponsored pilot. At the time of my sponsorship application, I had 7As and 2Bs at GCSE level (plus the C obtained above), 2As 1B and 2C's at A-Level, a 1st Class Physics degree from the top university in the country for Physics, and I was half was through a Physics PhD at that same university. The company still quibbled over my C grade in Maths, and the fact that I had taken the exam twice in order to obtain the A. They were not at all happy about that, even with all of my far higher qualifications; although granted, it was those higher qualifications which prevented my application from being thrown in the dustbin without interview. They only stopped complaining when I explained that I would never have been able to get the GCSE A without sitting the first exam, and then I would never have been able to take A-Level, and then I would never have been able to take the Physics degree, and then I would never have been doing a PhD.

My point is, unless you have very good reasons for not having the GCSE passes already, your chances of sponsorship are minimal.

Good luck with your goal to become a professional pilot, but I think you need to rule out sponsorship.

z114d
8th Mar 2008, 11:49
thank you for all you reply!

i read that atlantic airlines atlantic airlines sponsorship scheme dont require GCSE or A-level, all you need an PPL and Class 1 medical. So i rang them up to know more.

they told me that if your application is successful, they invite you to do an Test which is includes Math, English and science. (they said you have to do this test you they know that you cal pass the ATPL exams)

And if you pass that you do an simulation with them and if you pass that you get an interview with the board of directors.

Does any1 know about this? or have done it?