PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Africa + Family

felixflyer
6th Mar 2008, 11:46
Hi

Id be interested to hear from anyone with a wife/children who has taken up a flying job in Africa. Are the jobs mainly low paid and for the young and single or can it be done with family. I have seen posts stating salaries of around $2000 a month which obviously wouldnt be much in the UK but what kind of life would that get you in Africa.

Id really like to do this type of flying but also have a family to support.

bigcockaviator
6th Mar 2008, 14:43
mate, you can do it with a family. obviously it does depend on where you go/how civilised things are. if you were to be based in southern africa(excluding angola) things are good. maun is a great little town for a family to have fun in and windhoek is also relaxed.lusaka too, no problems. 2000 U.S will get you by just fine, as long as you don't have as many kids as some of the locals do !! often, i have heard of wifes/girlfriends arriving later on, having a brief look aroung the place and asking for the first available flight out of there, with or without the adventurous pilot. give it a go, you won't regret flying in africa !!

Contract Dog
6th Mar 2008, 16:11
I live in Sudan with my family and we have a great time and the money is really good, BUT.......... not many companies will allow it on contract, you need to come up first, do a tour, see how you get on with the crew and then start pushing for family, bear in mind you live in a crew house with up to 4 crew living together so small children running round a crew house does not go down well, but if you get your own place its fine.

Dog