PDA

View Full Version : Up in the Cockpit when I was a Lad....!

187nj
6th Mar 2008, 11:07
Whats the deal...

Can passengers still visit the cockpit these days?

tb10er
6th Mar 2008, 11:28
No!

Not in the West at any rate.

Hartington
6th Mar 2008, 21:40
As I understand it that answer is not 100% accurate. It depends on the airline and the country governing that airline. It also depends on whether you want to visit on the ground or in the air. The UK government won't allow the general public into cockpits in flight - if you poke around here a bit you'll find a thread about a captain who was sacked for allowing a celebrity on the flight deck in flight. I believe it is permissible to ask about a visit on the ground (typically on arrival). I think I'm right in saying the US has the same rule. However, whether the flight crew will permit it is entirely their perogative.

I have heard it said that other countries/airlines can be more relaxed. As in the UK the Captain is always the final arbiter.

Avman
8th Mar 2008, 16:21
When people say "no" they tend to be either British or American. Indeed, in these two countries (and a few others) it is no longer possible (whilst the engines are running). However, there are still plenty of opportunities to visit the F/D in flight depending on the country and the airline.

FLCH
8th Mar 2008, 17:07
As in the UK the Captain is always the final arbiter.

Tell that to Pablo Mason.

Hartington
9th Mar 2008, 09:38
OK, I'll amend my terminology - the captain is the final arbiter subject to company rules and appropriate laws.

The point I was trying to make relates to an incident I was told about once - Captain operating from a SE European airport approached by staff in uniform and asked for the jump seat home. Captain agrees and takes staff member to check in. Just before departure car arrives at steps and unknown bounds up to the door and despatch staff say "here is your cockpit passenger". Captain refused to fly until he got the "correct" passenger. Captain was subject to pressure from local management to take "wrong" passenger but stood his ground - good on him I say.