PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday

higthepig
5th Mar 2008, 17:13
The Spitfire took its maiden flight 72 years ago today, hope I look half as good when I'm that age. Wonder if a Typhoon will be still flying in 70 years time, I doubt it, the way things are going we will be lucky to have anything flying in 7 years time.

higthepig
5th Mar 2008, 18:09
No, I don’t look like one, although I liked to think I had some sleek lines in my ‘yoof’. Now slowly starting to resemble a bowser unfortunately.

dakkg651
5th Mar 2008, 18:09
I wish we had a proper Typhoon flying today.

I would love to hear a Napier Sabre engine.

ACW599
5th Mar 2008, 18:32
>I would love to hear a Napier Sabre engine.<

Strongly seconded. In my BBC days I once spent most of a morning looking for a recording of the Sabre in the sound archives, totally without success. Anyone know whether any form of recording exists?

An elderly gentleman in the Cosford museum remarked that the Sabre at full chat sounded like ". . . God tearing calico".

henry crun
5th Mar 2008, 19:49
dakkg651 & ACW599: A Napier Sabre can be heard here http://www.enginehistory.org/sounds.htm

Click on Tempest page at the bottom and then follow the links to Napier Sabre

ACW599
5th Mar 2008, 20:50
>Click on Tempest page at the bottom and then follow the links to Napier Sabre<

Wonderful. Very many thanks -- that'll give my speakers a workout!

noregrets
5th Mar 2008, 21:37
I happen to think some bowsers are especially attractive - the OOA Refueller is as sleek and as tactical as bowsers get, and the twin-rig has a certain rough charm...

(A former MTO speaks)

noregrets
5th Mar 2008, 21:45
AIDU, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - a tenet that those of us who are more photogenically challenged have cause to be grateful for!

noregrets
5th Mar 2008, 21:57
sod that, bring back the mentalist air steward :}

RAFEmployee
5th Mar 2008, 21:58
Must be a power obsessed admin about