PDA

View Full Version : Advice on FTO's within America and conversions to JAA

jonjam
5th Mar 2008, 14:45
Hello all,

Thanks for reading this and any advice would be greatly appreciated..

I am still currently working in the Uk, 30 and live at home with the parents and have Zero flight time. Over the past four years i have saved and accumilated £35k and am nervously researching and eventually hope to embark on a two year J1 visa flight course in Florida..final aim is to gain a FI rating and clock up 1000+ hours to eventually return and work in england. I went over last year to view a handful of FTO offering both Faa and Jaa certs.

Here's where the problem lies, one school in particular (PEA) stood out to be a little better than some others..friendly atmosphere, modern fleet, good feedback from many of the current working insructors and not forgetting price.. But they only offer Faa. Jaa schools such as OFT (didnt trust)and EFT/ari ben couldn't visit so after 7 phone calls for information with no reply, have given up on!

PEA's Pro pilot course single stands at $36k and multi is $46k from what i understand i have to convert faa ir to jaa ir + take the 14 atpl exams upon my return this again im guessing is around £10k.

That leaves me this appeal to would i be right with these 3 options..

A) Head to PEA gain a FAA atp and convert. Costs to complete on returning to england?

B) Head to OFT or EFT obtain a Jaa and then gain a IR upon returning to England. Benefits of having both FAA and JAA??

C) Stick it out in England and hope to pass before im 40?

D) Anything else?

Thanks jon