PDA

View Full Version : Expat FO/Trainee Captain

Gforceflyer
5th Mar 2008, 05:33
Does any of the Indian airlines hiring Expatriate FO's/Trainee capt. I am willing to do my typerating? How is the salary and benefits?

Thanks in advance.

Nevrekar, it seems like you have lot of inside info on Indian aviation. Any comments please?

haree
5th Mar 2008, 10:54
Govt tells airlines not to hire foreign co-pilots
5 Mar 2008, 0043 hrs IST,Saurabh Sinha,TNN

SMS NEWS to 58888 for latest updates
NEW DELHI: The government has asked domestic carriers not to hire foreign co-pilots as there is already a glut of Indian co-pilots, with airlines getting anywhere between 20 to 40 applications for each position.

In a meeting with airlines, the aviation ministry said it could understand that India still has a shortage of trained commanders/captains and airlines may have to hire expats. But as far as co-pilots go, airlines need to select desi ones.

At present, India has 944 foreign pilots - 810 commanders and 134 co-pilots. Airlines like Indigo, Alliance Air, Jet, Air India and Blue Dart have the maximum number of expat co-pilots. Others like SpiceJet and JetLite don’t have any foreign co-pilot, while Kingfisher and GoAir have one each.

An airline official said: ‘‘Sometimes we have to hire foreign co-pilots as they have type rating for flying a plane like the A 320 or Boeing 737. In that case, they can start flying the moment they join us.’’

On the other hand, hiring a fresh Indian co-pilot means that airlines have to first get a type rating for the aircraft they will have to operate. This means sending commercial pilot licence holders abroad for training on simulator of planes like an A-320 or Boeing 737, something that takes a few months and costs anywhere up to Rs 7 lakh.

A fresh CPL holder can join an airline as co-pilot and then get type-rating (training to fly a certain aircraft). Once a type-rated pilot flies for between 1,500 and 2,500 hours, he or she becomes a commander/captain. At each level, the salary jumps from - Rs 60,000-80,000; Rs 1-1.5 lakh and Rs 2-2.5 lakh.

Now government is not willing to buy lack of trained pilots excuse of airlines to hire expats. In fact, Monday’s diktat of not disregarding Indian co-pilots is the second move in as many months to protect Indian students who spend anywhere upto Rs 22 lakh - almost everyone takes an education loan for this - to become a pilot.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Business/India_Business/Govt_tells_airlines_not_to_hire_foreign_co-pilots/articleshow/2838101.cms

Nevrekar
5th Mar 2008, 11:37
It depends on what you mean by Trainee Captain. Expat F/O hiring--the answer is no at Spicejet and most others (unless they have a critical need for time in type applicants).

Trainee Captain--If you have been a Captain before on jet aircraft (737,A320,B747,757/767) then Spicejet might consider you. Then you have to get your 737NG endorsement (they might help with that but you have to pay them back). Then you fly with check pilots for 100 plus hrs before being released.

Just remember you have to have lots of jet PIC time in a B737 variant or something similar to fit into this category of "trainee Capt." We have a lot of former B747-400/757/767/727 Capts who have joined as expats. Some had never flown the B737 or the NG but had thousands of hrs of PIC time in large jet aircraft. Hope this helps.

Gforceflyer
5th Mar 2008, 19:26
Thanks for the input.

As per Trainee Capt. I have heard someone interview with Indigo (with no jet time) and got the verbal contact and they were going to offer him trainee Capt. Position. They were going to put him on fast track to make him a capt. may be 100 plus hrs in type to get check out. Is this an exception or some companies bending the role to get captains? :confused:

Nevrekar
5th Mar 2008, 21:51
I don't think its bending the rules. I am sure that applicant has other PIC time in a turbine aircraft. He/she might also have EFIS experience. Spicejet recently hired an expat (indian origin) Capt who was a BE-1900 Capt elsewhere. But he did have jet time from the IAF (Migs etc). He is doing 100 hrs of LFUS (line flying under supervision) before he is released as a Capt.
I believe the DGCA is permitting this as it seems more than one airline is doing this. In most other countries very often you upgrade on an aircraft you have never flown before. Its based on you seniority with the company and what A/C seat position you can hold based on your seniority and base. For example you may have been a B-777 F/O for an airline for 6 years. Then when your number for upgrade comes up, you find that in your base city you can "hold" only B-737NG Capt. At another base it may be another aircraft which you prefer, but you have to commute. You have to decide what is more suitable for you. Some stay in the RHS for better QOL. Others upgrade at the first opportunity.

Space_odyssey
12th May 2008, 08:20
I`m an expat with about 1400 hours command on ATR 42/72. Also got 737 NG rating with about 100 hours (RHS).

Are there any airlines in India who are willing to take expat captains that have PIC time on turbine aircraft, over 100 hours on type but no "PIC" time on jets. (If that makes sense).

As a thought, would the likes of Jet Airways be possibly interested in taking the likes of myself on as an ATR captain and also put me in the left of the 737?

flyekhan
13th May 2008, 03:21
If you are Indian Origin you have a very good chance to get in for a quick upgrade to Caption but if you are not it is still worth a try.

Good Luck!!:ok: