PDA

View Full Version : Airlink Salaries

50feet
4th Mar 2008, 12:37
Does anyone working for Link care to pass on what the current new join co-jo can expect as a package at present? Thanks

buck2rogers69
4th Mar 2008, 15:23
dont let them ^&^* you mate, you should start on JFO+/- R15000 cost to company, FO R19970 cost to company and SFO +/-R23000, Capt 1 = +/-R33000, BUT they are up to tricks now trying to emplor people on the old scales before the raises that were received before the First of September last year as well as those of April LAst year, There is a raise in April this year but they will come up with some trick to try not give this to new hires!!!!

DUDE BE CAREFUL, WHERE THERE IS SMOKE THERE IS FIRE, a well said saying, stay away from AIRLINK you will get screwed horribly, they forever up to tricks, do your research carefully and speak to people there, there is a mass exodus at the moment, Mango has hired a few guys, and some going for interviews at other carriers, all in all around 30 resignations in 4 months, out of 120 crew, that is not a good ratio to have, BUT roger thinks all is fine!!!Rather wait get the ATP and get into SAX or COMAIR, they are much much better options!!!!

Dont listen to their crap about getting on jets etc at the interviews, it is a load of crap there are still guys that have been there 10 years flying jet streams!!!!

Do your homework, from what i see STAY AWAY!!!!

Shrike200
4th Mar 2008, 17:12
100% agreed.

There is absolutely no point in getting into Airlink right now. The demand is such, and the conditions in Airlink so......pointless, that even joining Nationwide would be a better choice right now, which should say something. Do yourselves, and quite frankly the industry as well, a favour and do what I did - when they phone you (and they've been phoning around recently), 'Just say No!' I have no idea where they got my number from, but they called me twice.

kiross
5th Mar 2008, 06:45
All true!
Try signing on at 14h00 to do KMIA and back to JNB. Then be told to wait 3 hours while they decide what duty they will give you. Then do other flights and end up at home the next moring at 0200. The entire operations department now believe that when you sign on they have you for the entire duty day. No matter what your original duty!
1) Salary- You can do much much better!
2) Life - as long as you don't expect to have one!
3) Insist at looking at the entire rediculous training bond before you agree to work for link. The details will (At your peril) only be revealed when you show up during induction. PS: By then you have already resigned from your previous job!:ugh::ugh:
There are advantages! If you like seniority, you should climb about 30 - 40 positions in a year!
In the past the consolation was always the people working for link that made it great.......REALLY GREAT!!!.............. They are leaving in droves and you will be left with the likes of JVJ and the rest of his family and friends to contend with! HHHMMMMMM!!!!
Yes there are a few negative people! They were positive people not so long ago! THINK!!!

Good luck!

Just a job
5th Mar 2008, 10:08
And so it came to pass...
:Dyou`re absolutely correct Kiross-that is exactly what is happening at link,except not only are the guys leaving in droves they are staying away in droves as well :eek:. There has to be a sincere,"deep-in-the-bowels-of-the-company" attitude adjustment towards the pilots if link is to survive in its present form. The guys are going to interviews as if theres no tomorrow-Aus,U.K,Singapore,Hong Kong-they`re getting the jobs and are throwing in the towel with link. No sugar-coated meetings with pilots or the union are going to win hearts back-it was a brilliant company once-great morale and spirit amongst the crew.Now? Pilots who have been on the Jetscream for more years they can remember having nothing to look forward to but a few very vague promises made by some very vague people. As Kiross said it is genuinely sad watching once enthusiastic,motivated positive people become negative. In any other company that would sound alarm bells for management and shareholders alike-not link := no,they just f:mad:k-voord.Tomorrows another day:ok:

Q4NVS
5th Mar 2008, 11:43
The guys are going to interviews as if theres no tomorrow-Aus,U.K,Singapore,Hong Kong

And where in Australia are they going...REX?

From what I understand, REX (Australia) is a carbon copy of Airlink (South Africa), with regards to remuneration and morale...

But it is Oz then and not Zumabwe :ugh:

DropTheDunlops
5th Mar 2008, 12:35
If you can afford to work for Nationwide, a B737 rating and time on type is more valuable than anything at Link but at the end of the day, airline experience is airline experience.

By the sounds of it, Nationwide pay more than airlink at the moment - so no question about being able to afford to work there. Not only do you get airline experience at NTW you get Jet time over 30 tonnes too.

I would highly discourage joining link at the moment. Pilot's are not prostitutes - tongue in cheek!!

TUBALCAIN
5th Mar 2008, 13:05
...re Link Training Bonds....
Can anyone post information / guidelines / conditions / cautions etc on the Link Training Bonds. Thanks.

kiross
5th Mar 2008, 13:15
"Just a job" Seems like you've experienced the glory days with LINK. Sad that such good things come to an end. I don't believe that salaries are going to make too much of a difference anymore. I think it's gone too far now. Pretty tired of trying to make a difference or just fighting for what we thaught we had. Rather spend the time preparing for that interview.
CONGRATS to the guys who got into mango, comair, safair, brindabella, cathay, tiger, eastern, and highland!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

buck2rogers69
6th Mar 2008, 18:35
Training bonds, they pay 2/3 of it over 2 years, only starting once you have done 1 year with the company, you pay 1/3 over 3 years, if you stay you get it back, 146 bond is huge, think its over 200grand, erj and JS are around the 130-150 mark, YOu must pay the bond according to the contract within 7 working days when leaving!!!! They charge interest on it as well, Prime plus 3 or 4 %, STAY AWAY FROM LINK, LET ROGER REAP WHAT HE SOWED BY SCREWING SOME!!!

ERJ's are going in 2 years, so why sign a 3 year bond, this is from the horses mouth, he has said that at the awards evening(NO PILOT AWARDED) last week. REad their ridicoulos career path and you will most likely end up on a Jetsream in 2 years time!!!

Flyer14
6th Mar 2008, 19:58
The salary at Link is an absolute joke, would rather stay on contract and continue earning more than double. It is true that Natiowide is paying more than Airlink for new hire F/O's.

Shrike200
7th Mar 2008, 05:13
Yes, but not by vast amounts. The bond is over four years, and only starts decreasing after the first year. I'm told they've just raised the amount from 150K to 170K.

If conditions at Airlink are worse than at Nationwide, I can once again only advise: Don't go there. You'll be doing yourself, and the industry, a favour by telling companies like this that these conditions are not tolerated by professional people. If we're expected to do our jobs professionally 100% of the time, then they can damn well do their job (manage) professionally all the time too.

It's the standard management attitude - "This would really suck if somebody did it to me, but it somehow doesn't when I do it to my employees!" :yuk:

SkrywerDrywer
10th Mar 2008, 08:27
Klink my daai our Roger-The-Dodger is nog up to sy ou tricks!

Baron Bigglesworth
18th Mar 2008, 19:18
Watch out for Link is what I heard. SAX is better option for 3 - 5 years if you intend to move out od SA & / or fly heavies. SAX JFO = SA Airlink FO, FO1 SAX 330K vs 240K at Link, CAP1 550K vs 400K + SAX bonus of 77K. Training bond very reasonable (about 115K / 3 years). Heard the old guard at pilot's association got some good stuff going there. So all fair and reasonable. Comair much the same but advantage of B737. Both recruiting like mad - SAX lost 4 captains to Emirates, 2 to Cathay.

Kennytheking
20th Mar 2008, 05:28
Guys,

In career terms, Airlink is an airline where you gain the experience and then move on. It is not a career airline and probably never will be. The fact is, if you are sitting here considering Airlink, then you should be considering career and not finances.

A lot of people here would do well to get onto something like the 146 and get the jet time irrespective of how much the training bond is. All airlines have bonds and they are a part of how a company protects itself.

A couple of points about a training bond. You do not have to pay it when you walk out the door. You can offer to pay them off. The bond and any interest they may charge is tax deductible. You simply have to decide if the next job is worth the sacrifice.

reptile
20th Mar 2008, 06:38
SAX lost 4 captains? Hardly earth shattering. Other airlines are sure to be having a higher staff turnover than that. Doesnt bode well for promotion of F/O's.

I guess that depends on how you look at it. A high staff turnover is usually the symptom of crappy working conditions and unhappy staff. The reason why SAX has a low staff turnover is because most drivers are quite happy there.

Time to command at SAX is still relatively quick. The reason for this is because the airline is expanding rapidly - something that will continue to happen into the foreseable future (another 5 aircraft on the cards for this year).

Sounds like a win-win situation to me: happy drivers, decent pay and fairly quick time to command.:ok:

reptile
20th Mar 2008, 16:23
define "relatively quick".

Just over two years for the guys currently on upgrade (not counting those who had to wait longer because they were short on the required hours)

less than one year to command at Link

....but then you still earn less than a SAX FO.....

reptile
21st Mar 2008, 04:51
you are missing the point here

I think you're right. What is your point again?

Q4NVS
21st Mar 2008, 23:34
I am just as Confused....:sad:

There are some differences in the way the career path is set up (and I can hear all the Link guys saying "what career path"). Command hours on a medium jet may be more valuable than Dash 8 hours for example.

Funny you should say that :p

I know a number of ex Dash 8 Commanders that are currently flying Left Seat on the CRJ out of Cape Town (No better place to live in SA). Here is the catch - some of them started their transition training after less than 8 Months in the Left Seat of a Dash 8.

I also know guys that have been flying the J41 for close on 10 years now - herein lies the confusion for us mere mortals.

AFAIK CRJ is also not a "Light Jet".

Anyway, back to the thread about Link Salaries (if I remember correctly...)

:zzz:

Just a job
22nd Mar 2008, 11:58
:) Yeah,back to the thread.Airlink salaries.....they`re cr:mad:p.Have a nice weekend guys!:ok:

newcrew
22nd Mar 2008, 12:33
i stand to be corrected but sa airlink f/o and capt pay is the lowest in the SA airline industry?

:O:O:O

Q4NVS
23rd Mar 2008, 05:23
SOME PILOTS JOINED LINK AND WITHIN ONE YEAR ARE SITTING IN THE LEFT SEAT OF AN ERJ145.

Yes, while the one's that have been doing the "Hard Yards" are still having to sit in the noise and heat without an APU...

That is EXACTLY the reason it cannot be done at SAX.
(What I can say is that I know of atleast one person that after approximately 30 months got the nod for CRJ LH Seat Course, all through a "fair" Seniority System and sustainable expansion of the company)

Btw, I thought Link had ERJ135's and not 145's :confused:

No wonder you guys never progressed any further!

The one's who chose to progress are today flying for SAA, Cathay, Emirates (soon), QATAR (Direct Entry Command) etc. The rest are NOT leaving because the lifestyle is just too GR8!

Everyone for him/herself then.

Escape Hatch and Jump!

:zzz:

newcrew
23rd Mar 2008, 09:18
15 000 usd per month? (DEC)

could you possibly give the names of airlines offering these packages

thanks

fly safe

:ok::ok::ok:

buck2rogers69
23rd Mar 2008, 10:15
Suitcaseman,

Your Data Is Not Right Boet, There Is Not A Fo On Any Erj Or Jet At Link Thats Been There A Year, There Are Some That Have Been There Around 2yrs, But They Getting Screwed With Cash!!!

Sax Is By Far The Better Choice, Who Gives A **** Where They Get Their Cash From, As Long As You Get Paid Your At The End Of The Month You Should Be Happy. Sax Upgrades Are Pretty Fast, Providing You Join With Around 3000-3500hrs Then You Will Not Take Long To Get In The Dash Left Seat, And Onto The Crj Out Of Ct If You Keen To Go There, With Them Getting More Aeries Things Will Just Get Faster Too!!!

Link Is In Kak With Crew, Watch Mike Apron, There Next To Vernon's 72's Rogers Jetscreams And Erjs Will Be There Within Year!!!!

MachWarp
23rd Mar 2008, 16:13
You guys are all trying to defend your opinions and positions go on.. check there is a bigger world out there!

Avi8tor
24th Mar 2008, 09:23
Yeah, gotta love when it turns into a p:mad:ssing contest.

For MOST people, a Regional is stepping stone to somewhere else. I am NOT gonna argue that Airlink has gone from 1st to worst in the last 8 yrs.

All that said, if I was flying rubber dog do around in a B1900 out of bum**** Nigeria, Link sounds like a good place to start. Sometimes the quick route is to take that step back, sooner rather than later, so you can get on with living.

I dont know if the LINK guys wanna stand up and try improve their conditions or just take what you need from the experience and move on. I suspect that as the global recession takes hold and the jobs dry up, things will change.

kiross
31st Mar 2008, 07:44
Avi8tor you are quite right. It is just that at this point in time the global market is still of such a nature that RF and jvj are going to find it difficult to hang on to their crew. They are already phoning the guys and girls at 1am to try and and crew flights. Apart from the poor pay and working conditions the crew are now being treated rather poorly too. There is always something lurking, some new trick to save a penny.This is almost always to the crew's detriment. It really P:mad::mad::mad::mad:s us off and makes the decision to leave rather aesy. Yes, it is still better than the charter job out of nigeria.....JUST!