PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Air multi crew?

Speedbird744
4th Mar 2008, 03:15
Can anyone tell me if Tropic Air "require" two pilots for their single pilot Caravan?

If so, am I correct in saying you can log this sic time and is it recognized throughout the aviation industry?

thehulk
6th Mar 2008, 14:16
Tropic Air flies its Caravans single pilot. Its a single engine turbo-prop under 12500 lbs therefore does not require a type rating or 2 crew.
I'm pretty sure you cannot log sic in it.

HondaCop
8th Mar 2008, 23:14
Where do they fly?

asiarocks
9th Mar 2008, 06:28
In Belize you can in fact log log "co pilot" time as P2 (supervised PIC). Civil aviation Belize recognizes it and will certify your logbook accordingly. Don't make the mistake of thinking you will have your own instrumentation (you will fly looking at the left side instruments in most planes) or that you will be treated with any respect by the locals pilots as they grow tired of having low time guys come through constantly to fly. No SOP's, or anything resembling CRM, only consider it if you want to stay long term and get a job flying there. (belize requires 500 hours to fly a 172). If you go there with 250 hours you will need to fly P2 for 500 hours before you get this as Civil Aviation only counts half your P2 time toward your total 500 before you can fly a 172 as a Captain. Then fly that until you get a shot at the Caravan as Captain. Also transport Canada will recognize any time logged and certified in Belize as long as you get a letter from the Chief Pilot saying they have a program that allows P2.
The flying there is very challenging as most the runways are very short and the loads are almost always full (did I mention you will be bumped off flights if the plane is full?). Still, if you can stick it out and make a go of it in Belize, you will have better hands and feet than pilots from most anywhere. Just no IFR, approaches to speak of, so definitely limiting.

Good luck!