PDA

View Full Version : QHCIs - Work in Civi Street

Adam Nams
4th Mar 2008, 00:12
I have heard on the grapevine that a certain helicopter company is looking to recruit a number of QHCIs with SAR experience over the next few years, to fulfill a training contract. They will be based in the UK but it could involve some work abroad.

Has anyone else heard about this?

How many current SAR QHCIs are there?

ninefromten
4th Mar 2008, 07:41
1. Yes
2. Not enough

leopold bloom
4th Mar 2008, 20:10
Any QHIs (even Crab!) or QHCIs attending the forthcoming 203 Sqn dinner could find out more details from the man providing the cufflinks.:ok: If not PM me for more details.:)

Adam Nams
4th Mar 2008, 23:24
................. and good luck with the forthcoming move.:ok:

Clever Richard
5th Mar 2008, 14:27
As Mr Bloom suggests, try asking the cufflinks provider. However, I advise you to ask as many of those as you can who have left the military recently in order to get a true picture of what the civvy world is like. Some who have jumped ship recently have found that it isn't all a bed of roses.

One uncomfortable subject for the snake oil salesmen currently trying to entice mil aircrew is sick pay. More specifically, ask if there is a period after which you will be placed on statutory sick pay. In the mil you get years on full pay whilst the medical system slowly tries to get you back in the air. In civvy street you will probably find that after 10-12 weeks SSP (about £80 per week) is all you will get. This information might take some extracting but persevere as this is the flip side of the inducement that you will get a bucket load of cash for any extra shifts (the poor sod you are filling in for will be getting f*ck all).

And above all remember, a military bullsh*tter always transitions successfully to become a civilian bullsh*tter.

Not sour grapes on my part, just the product of seeing some mates getting a dose of reality in civvy street recently.

5th Mar 2008, 14:46
Adam nams - after AugustaWestlands successfully sold some 101's to Algeria, they are now looking to create a training setup for the Algerian crews. Therefore they will need SAR QHCIs and possibly QHIs to fill the contract as I believe the training has to be up to mil standards. I don't know how long the contract will be for nor what will happen to those employees after it finishes.

Hope that helps.

Oh no there go the beans..........................................

leopold bloom
5th Mar 2008, 16:40
Not just 101s (6 in number) but also 4 Lynx, plenty of info on the net - it's public knowledge. Algeria has no SAR setup and they need a lot of help/advice/assistance/training to get in the game. They will be coming to the UK to train and convert so there will be a demand for experienced QHIs/QHCIs/QAIs etc. I believe that the contract to train them will run for some considerable time. Despite Clever Richards pessimistic view there are plenty of good employers out there, companies don't make a profit by p****** off their staff, if they do they can simply leave. The 3 companies that I have worked for since leaving the mob have been excellent. If you predicate your career choice based solely on levels of sick pay I doubt that you have a balanced view of the world. Loss of license/health insurance anyone?:ok:

Clever Richard
5th Mar 2008, 21:36
Mr Bloom,

Thank you for your knee-jerk reaction. I thought I would hit a raw nerve with that question, thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Obviously I am not suggesting that anyone bases their future career choice on one criterion; I was using the device of illustrating an argument by the use of example. By the way, how much would it cost to buy a policy that provides sickness benefit of full pay for, lets say, 3 years?:ok:

Regards,

CD

leopold bloom
6th Mar 2008, 06:28
Dear Richard,
I can't see that my post was a knee jerk reaction, just pointing out the fallacy of your argument. As you seem to be keen on cliches and idioms how about a proverb: "one swallow doesn't make a summer"? A single example does not prove the argument, also known as the distortion of the small sample.
Despite your self - confessed talent for predicting the future you haven't hit any raw nerves. Terms and Conditions are agreed with the HR department before a contract is signed. The Ts and Cs are also protected by national legislation, it doesn't, as you assert, "take some extracting", a quick phone call to HR will provide the answer if you haven't bothered to read your contract.
Moving on to some of your other phrases: "snake oil salesman" and "military bull sh***er" a more charitable interpretation could be; "a rewarding career in the military is often followed by a rewarding career in the civilian world".
I have no idea how much the relevant insurance costs I am sure that a little research will reveal the cost, but it would probably be a wise investment. Some companies will provide private health cover and critical illness insurance as part of the contract.
Anyway to sum up, there are lots of decent employers in the civilian world who treat their staff well, they aren't all Dickensian sweat-shop owners (you've got me doing it now),but you certainly won't be cossetted in the same way that you are in the military. Don't be frightened to give it a go, I am sure that a talented individual like yourself will always be in demand. I have no doubt that you could always find employment as a sub-editor for The Sun given your impeccable grammar and fondness for simple idioms and cliches.
Is your Nom-de-Prune amusingly ironic or egotistical self-regard?
Regards
LB

Adam Nams
6th Mar 2008, 06:30
Crab: Thank you for all of the info. I will have the buttered toast on standby in case any more beans (with a nip of course) come my way.

Kind regards

Adam

Clever Richard
6th Mar 2008, 07:52
Mr Bloom,

Eloquently put, I couldn't have done better myself. Does the vitriol in your response imply that you recognise in yourself the characteristics I describe.

You mention that you have worked for 3 companies since leaving the mob, over what time period ? It would be useful to know if you have been gainfully employed for a considerable period with each one or have been bed-hopping frequently. You will, of course, remember the military phenomena of side-ways postings.

Regards as ever,

CD

leopold bloom
6th Mar 2008, 09:26
You are a sensitive soul if you think that was vitriolic, I was just presenting the facts as I saw them. No I don't recognise those characteristics, I got the impression you were having a pop at someone else. It's drifting off the thread a bit and slightly personal but I will answer your questions anyway, 3 jobs in 4 years. I keep getting offered better paid and more interesting positions, what's a chap to do? I do remember the sideways postings, never been the subject of one though if that's what you are implying. We seem to on the slippery slope to personal insults which so often happens on Prune and I am determined to resist so no more personal stuff please? Be interesting, amusing or informative or I won't participate.:)

Adam Nams
7th Mar 2008, 05:13
What avionics fit are the Algerians going for? FLIR? Radar?

leopold bloom
7th Mar 2008, 09:49
Full SAR fit including 360 degree radar and FLIR.:)

8th Mar 2008, 05:16
Not the 360 degree radar that the civSAR boys say is unneccessary for SAR???? Surely not:)

SARREMF
8th Mar 2008, 05:24
Crabb,

OOOOOoo you little devil! You'll get in trouble again! Why is clever richard getting all nasty about the cuff link provider? Was he having a pop at the individual? Or the company?Looks like the individual to me!

Wiretensioner
8th Mar 2008, 07:53
Lets see, another thread about SAR so lets see how long it takes Crab to start winding everybody up. Oops that did not take long!

leopold bloom
8th Mar 2008, 09:03
That's what happens when you get up that early in the morning. Dodgy bladder?:cool:

Clever Richard
9th Mar 2008, 12:11
Gentlemen,

My comments cannot be taken as a personal attack or criticism as I have no idea who Mr Bloom, SARREMF or the mysterious 'Mr Cufflinks' are. Also, I don't know who any of you work for so I cannot be slagging off your employers either.

Mine are general comments based on the experience of some good friends who, I am prepared to accept, might have been slightly naive.

Perhaps we are all being a little over-sensitive. Don't let this spoil a wonderful relationship!

Regards,

CD

Jerry English
12th Mar 2008, 12:12
http://www.fbheliservices.com/FBH/Vacancies.htm FBH are looking for SARQCIs and QHIs for an international training contract....

No Vote Joe
12th Mar 2008, 14:24
Any QHIs (even Crab!) or QHCIs attending the forthcoming 203 Sqn dinner could find out more details from the man providing the cufflinks.:ok: If not PM me for more details.:)

So when are we going to get our cufflinks?? :ok:

ninefromten
12th Mar 2008, 15:17
Jerry, the link to FBH vacancies works but no sign of requirements for QCIs.
Great party on Friday pity the CuffLink man couldn't make it.

Jerry English
12th Mar 2008, 15:56
Jobs are under Valley and Shawbury - you may have to REFRESH (F5 key)your browser on that page

leopold bloom
12th Mar 2008, 16:56
So when are we going to get our cufflinks??
Unfortunately the provider was called away at short notice.But, be assured, is under intense pressure (constant nagging) to come up with the goods. ;)

No Vote Joe
12th Mar 2008, 20:52
Unfortunately the provider was called away at short notice.But, be assured, is under intense pressure (constant nagging) to come up with the goods. ;)

Surely not from the Welsh Woman?! ;)

leopold bloom
13th Mar 2008, 07:43
Surely not from the Welsh Woman?!
You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.:ok:

pr00ne
13th Mar 2008, 13:00
All those AW109 related posts at Shawbury, new type on the way at DHFS?

airborne_artist
13th Mar 2008, 13:25
All those AW109 related posts at Shawbury, new type on the way at DHFS?Or is it related to the Irish buying 109s?

pr00ne
13th Mar 2008, 15:40
I thought the Irish had bought AW139s and EC145s?

14th Mar 2008, 15:04
So as I understand it, this new operation will be based at Valley where there are already too many problems mixing helicopters with FJ training as the Sea King OCU will find out shortly. Add in some 101s and unless all the departures and arrivals are VFR at low level and all the training is carried out away from Valley then it just won't work, the airspace is too busy.

The other problem is engineers, the AW/VT contract has robbed Babcocks of many of their engineers so any new posts that are not manned from non-Anglesey people will end up poaching again and the result will be insufficient engineers of any quality to get the jobs done.

Of all the places to try and run this Algerian contract - Valley is the worst place I can think of. Their pilots will love the RT and local procedures;)

SARREMF
15th Mar 2008, 07:54
Crabb at his best!

Actually Crabb I beleive there is no intention of putting the 101 at Valley just 2 AW139's. Who will slip in and out low level VFR. As for engineers, you have a point! But that isn't to say the team haven't thought of it - or all the points you can come up with and a few more you haven't thought about yet. Actually, Valley is only a third of the story so more to come later.

or so I am told.....................

16th Mar 2008, 06:34
SARREMF - I suggest you talk to people at Valley then to dispel the rumours in the workforce there. This is a rumour network after all and last week at Valley your Algerian operation was the talk of the town.

If you don't want speculation then stop being so secretive - if you haven't actually made a decision yet then say so:ok:

sarboy99
16th Mar 2008, 10:12
SARREMF - I suggest you talk to people at Valley then to dispel the rumours in the workforce there. This is a rumour network after all

Bit of a contradiction? We,re here to listen and start not stop rumours

No Vote Joe
17th Mar 2008, 21:31
More rumour.......

I heard the 101 end of the deal was to be run out of the South West, Culdrose (likely) or possibly Chivenor (not so likely!).

Still no cufflinks......;)

SARREMF
17th Mar 2008, 23:40
Correct and give the guy a chance!

I hear he has only just got back from places hot and sandy! the Cufflinks being in the boot of his car whilst he was away!
Its another true story!

Lets face it you couldn't make this up!
cheques in the post

No Vote Joe
18th Mar 2008, 11:19
I'm sure we could, after all we are past masters at embelishment!!

Still, it's a pity he couldn't make it as it was a good night. Lots of old faces, and most faces looking older!! :ok: