PDA

View Full Version : how long does CAA take to deliver new PPL?

mattia_70
3rd Mar 2008, 22:04
I am asking because I would like to go to USA to finish my PPL in USA (here in UK I logged 15 hours since Sept 07 and it's becoming frustrating). But then I would like to start hour building while I am there.

So I was wondering how long would it take to the CAA to send me the PPL after the skill test.

Any idea?

Did anyone go this way or is it just a waste of time waiting for the PPL in the USA before starting hour building?

Thanks

Avyator
3rd Mar 2008, 22:12
I think it usually takes up to 4 weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IRISHPILOT
4th Mar 2008, 07:10
Alternatively, you may consider doing the FAA PPL while over there anyway.

Benefits: saves money (CAA fees, no night qualification needed as included), you can continue hour building immediately.

The UK JAA PPL is usually done more for sentimental reasons, as you will loose it up on gaining your CPL, the FAA PPL is yours for life.

Alternatively, if still possible, change the state of licence issue of your JAA PPL, some countries send your PPL by return mail with a courier...

Moodster
4th Mar 2008, 09:12
I dropped my application off at CAA and got my license within 7 working days.

Platinum206
4th Mar 2008, 11:42
The UK JAA PPL is usually done more for sentimental reasons, as you will loose it up on gaining your CPL, the FAA PPL is yours for life.

That poses and interesting point. I have an FAA PPL issued on the basis of my UK PPL, ie the FAA one is not valid without the UK one being valid etc etc.

When I obtain my CPL, will I no longer hold the PPL or how does that work??

May I be lucky in the loophole that my CPL will be issued by the Irish IAA, rather than overriding my CAA PPL.

So I will have an
IAA CPL
JAA PPL
FAA PPL (so long as JAA PPL is valid)

Can I hold all these licences?

Sorry if thats a bit messy, I'll draw a diagram if you can't follow!! :ok:

IRISHPILOT
4th Mar 2008, 15:23
The IAA would pull an IAA JAA PPL upon gaining the IAA JAA CPL, not sure about the UK one. Try to find the appropriate regulation, print it out and don't mention it anywhere if it allows you to hold both.

If it does not, better to give it up rather than taking the risk... You will get a new FAA PPL issued for your IAA JAA CPL (so I believe).

Hope that helps. IP

BounceBounceLand
4th Mar 2008, 15:44
If you finish a JAA PPL in america, it will be in US (N-reg) aircraft. Hence the instructors will need to be FAA and hopefully JAA qualified. Once you do the JAA PPL skills test, as you have said you will need to post this off to the CAA.

In the mean time, your FAA qualified instructor will be able to sign you off as a student pilot and you will be able to hour build solo, but not allowed to carry passengers.

Once your JAA PPL comes through, you need to verify your license with the FAA which requires some paperwork sent to both CAA and FAA, and then a visit to a local FAA FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) to get a certificate issued to allow you to exercise the JAA PPL priveleges in an N-reg aircraft.

I had a rough experience with a JAA school in the states, if you want more info PM me, if you have the cash i would recommend staying in the uk. If an FAA PPL would be an option, I went to a cracking FAA school for hour building, an arrow for £57 per hour wet!