PDA

View Full Version : Intergrated or modular

robbybobby
3rd Mar 2008, 20:54
Hi everyone,

Im 23, going on 24 working in a job that pays quite well and I work 2 weeks on/off. Iv always wanted to be a pilot and I did my first flight a few weeks ago. After thinking about it for months I have my heart set on going for that right hand seat.

Considering I work 2 weeks on/off I can quite easily learn while working in my current job and thus not get my self into mortgage like debt along the way from going the intergrated college route.:uhoh:

At the moment my thinking is going to one of the smaller schools. Multi flight in leeds or Humberside, start my PPL ASAP, get my IR done and take it from there all the way to ATPL.

My worry is that by going the modular route and going to different colleges along the way, ill end up with the ATPL(frozen) but unable to get a Job.

Also by going to a smaller school, such as the ones iv mentioned is this likely to count against me in the future when the time comes to get a job/type rating? are the advantages of the intergrated college route, with the resultant debt worth while?

Has anyone got similar experiences or advice, anything at all!!!!?

Thanks
:-)

Polorutz
3rd Mar 2008, 21:37
Have you thought about going to one of the big schools on the modular route?? you can do everything from PPL(A) to ATPL with say for example CABAIR and you will get a top to bottom education while at the same time paying for it step by step and going according to your schedule.

it's Modulated hehe, an integrated modular course.

nick14
3rd Mar 2008, 21:50
Yes I would advise going to a bigger school and going "Modulated" if you dont want the mortgauge.

But I would definatly advise doing ALL ure training in one school that is approved otherwise you will find it near impossible to find a job.

So 0-fATPL courses or PPL-fATPL,

I went to visit multi flight and they seemed a decent outfit enough.

Research!!

Nick

Hufty
4th Mar 2008, 08:11
Please be careful about using this thread to decide what to do! There are a load of threads on Pprune about "inegrated vs modular" so make yourself a mug of tea, break out the biscuits, sit down and do a looong trawl through them....there is a lot of excellent information.

As for the notion that you will find it "near impossible" to get a job if you don't do all your training at one school....the poster of this "advice" isn't working as a pilot so be wary.

This is a message the larger schools use to generate business.....apart from an assertion once that a UK TP operator's head of training had a preference for one or two schools on the CV, there is no evidence that I'm aware of to suggest that this is a factor anywhere else. Personally I have been all over the place and got a job no problem...it was never an issue. In any case, as with all things, you should do more research and don't just ask the flight schools....they have their own agenda. I'm not knocking the "one stop shop" just be aware that you have more options and some of them might be more effective for you. Or not, it's up to you.

IMHO, you will get a job for the following reasons:

1. Lots of jobs available
2. If you're a likeable person
3. Who you know
4. The supply of similarly experience pilots around at the time
5. Your currency
6. Your demonstrated ability to pass JAR skills tests
7. A bit of good fortune

There might be more items on this list but number 7 is probably the most important!!!

I can't really comment on some of these CTC "sponsorship" things though....there is a ton of information on here though so that might work for you too.....

Good luck with your training though!!!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Mar 2008, 08:19
Just backing up what Hufty said regarding Nicks comments about being near impossible to get a job, it is absolute nonsense! I know plenty of people myself included who have trained at various different approved schools through modular route, and are now working for airlines.

MarcoFF
4th Mar 2008, 08:38
Nichibei Aviation wrote:

Additional comment: Big or small schools, it doesn't really matter that much to an airline. All they want is a pilot with an average of 500 hours total time and good multi-engine time.

+ Type rating.
Just check i.e. flightglobal jobs, i would say at least 90% requires TR.

Sorry ot:oh:

Hufty
4th Mar 2008, 08:50
......well ALL jobs on transport aeroplanes (on anything over 5,700kg - is that right?) require a type rating!

We're talking about that all important first job. You often don't need a rating to apply (notable exceptions exist though), but you do need one to commence employment. Your rating will either be paid for by the company and you will be bonded or you'll need to fund it yourself in some way.

The jobs on flightglobal etc. are normally companies looking for experienced crews who are already rated.

There are also a lot of threads on this site devoted to the "should I buy a type rating" question. I know people who it has worked well for and those who haven't been so lucky. I'm not sure what percentage of pilots buy a rating prior to finding a job, but a lot of employers want hours on type too.

nick14
4th Mar 2008, 16:50
stand corrected then my bad,

I did hear from a few airline selection heads that they don't like candidates with 250hours total and their training at different schools as their standard is difficult to gauge.

Im open to comments

robbybobby
5th Mar 2008, 04:46
Thanks for all the comments chaps,

Its all taken on board and im encouraged by what iv heard to continue with my plan of the "modular" route. I figure £12500 a year on average for 3 years should cover it.

Im think that the only reason the airlines may possibly like the intergrated route is because they like to have pilots by the balls who are in debt!

I did here via a colleague who's brother is a line training captain with virgin that they like to take people below the age of 27 who have no experience. Although from reading up in this forum, there does seem to be plenty of exceptions to this.

either way me thinks I need to get going ASAP!

Living the dream!

cheers.

Hufty
5th Mar 2008, 07:57
I didn't know VS took ab initio guys?? I understand you need a lot of hours to get into VS - even if you have the minimum, I don't think you're competitive unless you have a lot and on a useful type too??