PDA

View Full Version : Glasses - any preferences?

fanda78
3rd Mar 2008, 19:27
Good evening,

recently started PPL, with seven hours done and all exams passed, I have to start thinking about medical class 1.
I do not have any health issues and as a active person I do not have any doubts about passing it but I have little doubts about me sight.
Time to time I have a problem to focus on long distance - especialy at the end of week when I'm tired after work - so I'm considering to visit some vision express or specsavers and obtain pair of glasses - is there any particular shape / size of frames that should be prefered? ie to be usable with headset.

I know that it mght sound stupid but its just something that went through my mind...:ugh:
Thanks F

n90bar
3rd Mar 2008, 19:31
Personally I find ones with flat flames better than round or fatter frames - you can find that if your headset is tight over your ears the frames of the glasses start to hurt the side of my head. Gets rather uncomfortable! Usually wear contact lenses - much easier, and just carry the glasses as spare.

SkyCamMK
3rd Mar 2008, 19:33
I hear CAA are not keen on varifocals but any specs with thin arms will be OK used with a good quality headset using the gel ear seals. Not a problem at all I use Sunglasses with reading glasses built in at approx £15 a pair they are great and almost disposable!

PAPI-74
3rd Mar 2008, 19:34
Me too.
I started wearing them a few years ago for take off and landing, especially at night, just to sharpen things up a bit. And all the time if Instructing VFR.
You will have no problems at all and you may pass your initial without needing them.
I would get a free eye test just to be sure, or pay if you so wish (Boots may still be free), and a top tip, don't wear them too much as your eyes will soon need them all of the time. If you start squinting or bumping into things then obviously rethink this tip of the day.

Hufty
3rd Mar 2008, 19:59
Anything with thin arms and get non reflective lenses too - they will be better if the sun is shining in your face. Consider getting one pair as prescription sunglasses too but I would check with the CAA to see if they accept sunnies as one of your two required pairs....perhaps not as they might not be much use at night.

When you go for your class one, you will need to download the eyesight form from the CAA website and get your optician to fill it in when you go for your eye test. Take that with you (along with BOTH pairs of specs) to your medical. They won't accept a prescription on a non CAA form.

Note, even if your eyesight is within limits for class 1 issue without correction but you still wear glasses as it is more comfortable, then you still need to get the restriction stamped on your medical certificate. Seems odd but I am in that position too....

nflyer
4th Mar 2008, 12:45
Yeah I do have a preference - beer glasses are just fine!

IRRenewal
4th Mar 2008, 15:41
Lots of information on the medical section of the CAA website.

Take this (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED162andInstructions.pdf) form with you when you go for an eye examination. Saves you from having to go back at a later time.

Look here (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=68&gid=1250) for information on vision standards. There is even some stuff on selecting lenses and frames.

Good luck.

matt_hooks
4th Mar 2008, 23:33
Sorry if I'm being stupid here, but I'm assuming if you have already started your PPL training that you have a class 2 medical? I've never had one, but I assume that they check such things as eyesight etc. I obviously stand to be corrected.

I also assume (yes, I'm doing a lot of assuming) that you are intending to carry on through PPL to CPL and IR? If not then you have no need of a class 1!