PDA

View Full Version : Help with Maths

steggers
3rd Mar 2008, 16:38
Hi people. I would like some advise please. I'm starting an In-house ATPL course at CATS in September and want to do some preparation for the course with regards to the maths element of the course.

I have purchased the "Keynotes for Pilots" - Maths edition and am working through it with my private tutor. I would like to know if there are any further books out there that anyone knows about that can give me more information on the subjects i need to lean and more importantly some question and answers that i can work through. The only problem with the Keynotes book is that it doesn't come with any questions. It tells you how to solve (For example lets say TRIG) but it doesn't give you any questions to work through.

If oneone has any information with regards to any books i can get hold of this would be a great help. Many thanks

preduk
3rd Mar 2008, 16:59
There is a CD by OATMedia designed to help develop pilots maths and physics skills. If you google it you should get something.

coodem
3rd Mar 2008, 17:17
Be surprised how little maths you actually need to pass the ATPL's.

Important ones

speed, distance, time
re-arrange formulas, ie f=m x a, also m = f/a, also a = f/m
pt = ps + pd, therefore pd = pt - ps, therefore ps = pt - pd
Once you learn the theory of re-arranging formulas, it can be applied to any other formula

Trig really helps a lot, just basis stuff, like sin cos tan, triangles, circumfrance, radius, diameter, pie

Once you get the basic understanding, you can apply that to all the equations you will come across while doing all your theory

Dont get too worried about it, just make sure you are happy with the basics

SkyCamMK
3rd Mar 2008, 19:26
Interpolation of tables for performance figures is important. You will soon pick it up. It is fiddly but essential. Good basic and mental arithmetic with percentages and fractions too. CATS can sort you out. Meet some recent students wherever you can. Really everyone worries but almost nobody fails in the end. You will get plenty of practice in the groundschool/studies.

steggers
3rd Mar 2008, 20:47
Thanks alot for all your comments. I'm not the brightest person when it comes to Maths so thats why i'm having a private tutor before the course. Is there anywhere or any books where i can get actual aviation related questions where maths is involved? I've had a look at the Bristol question bank but because i haven't done the course there's aviation terms that i'm not undertanding, therefore making it very differcult to pick out the maths involved????

Rugbyears
6th Apr 2008, 14:03
Oh goody more maths!!!

mcgoo
6th Apr 2008, 14:13
Go to the Bristol website and email Baz, he is one of the lecturers at Bristol and has written his own book on maths for pilots.