PDA

View Full Version : BA Entebbe pax panic due to flat tires?

Finn47
3rd Mar 2008, 11:25
Some strange news out of Africa. Supposedly a British Airways plane full of passengers had to abandon take-off because all tires were reportedly flat, which was discovered at the end of the runway.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1157510/

Anyone care to tell me what a Boeing 062 looks like? And what possible reason for pax to panic?

This is Africa, of course, but still?

DILLIGAFF
3rd Mar 2008, 18:08
Idiots.......
It was Boeing 767 G-BNWW it aborted takeoff (at 130 knots) and the tyres deflated due to overheating as the aircraft came to a stop , as they are supposed to.
D

PAXboy
3rd Mar 2008, 18:27
Here's the real reason for the panic in the locals and their media: The above link includes ...
The Police Fire Brigade rushed to the scene to evacuate the panicking passengers who included the Vice-President, Prof. Gilbert Bukenya, and state minister for animal husbandry Bright Rwamirama.So the RTO would have been followed by a cabin PA which (I'm guessing) was resoundingly ignored by the pax. I have to say that you could 100% the same reaction on any UK field you care to mention. :hmm:

jaimz1982
3rd Mar 2008, 19:25
This is a complete non-story, how do I know? The Captain that was flying is my future father in law!!

From what he's said, he was at rotation speed, 2 cabin doors came open with some warning lights in the cockpit (don't know which ones) and he aborted take off, he deflated the tyres to slow down (apparently).

His exact txt to his daughter sat morn was "won't be coming to the meal, had to abort t/o light flashed up, doors flung open, burst tyres, oh and almost parked it in lake victoria - oh and the vice president was on board"

And it was 767, not 747 or 062? lol

Jim

JClassPAX
3rd Mar 2008, 19:58
That was a good one! :}
At least he had some balls and skills aborting the takeoff and busting only tires. If it was me on my FSX and such a scenario came up, I would have followed though with the rotation, done a few holding patterns dumping fuel all over the place, and THEN attempt a landing visually! Another reason why there are such things as simulators for maniacs! :p

Mister Geezer
3rd Mar 2008, 22:13
The Captain that was flying is my future father in law!!

At least you will get a decent wedding paid for!!! :}

jaimz1982
3rd Mar 2008, 22:36
lol, thats the plan.

I have to admit, as annoying as he is, he is a flippin good pilot.

Spoke tp him tonight, he was just abit slower than rotation spped, about 10 knots he recks. Has a meeting with BA tomoz.

Last time he had a meeting with them he got commended, I won't be able to handle his gloating if it happens again!!

Farmer 1
4th Mar 2008, 07:54
The hiccup comes hardly six months after a South-African registered plane crashed at Entebbe, killing two people. The plane belonged to Fugro Airborne Surveys Ltd.

Obviously, the two events are related.

Cluster One
4th Mar 2008, 13:53
Anyone care to tell me what a Boeing 062 looks like? And what possible reason for pax to panic?

The flight number is BA0062.