PDA

View Full Version : Is an IR possible with a JAA/CPL?

MrAverage
3rd Mar 2008, 11:02
I will shortly get a JAA/CPL with the restriction removed, on the basis of my BCPL, experience and CPL/LPC. Is it possible to add an IR to that without doing the JAA/ATPL or CPL exams? My UK/CPL exams were many years ago and LASORS is somewhat confusing to my average brain. I have no need for an ATPL.

Shunter
3rd Mar 2008, 14:20
Yes. 7 IR exams to do. They share the same name as their ATPL equivalents, but things like global climatology, clear air turbulence etc etc aren't in the syllabus, so marginally less reading to do.

Mariner9
3rd Mar 2008, 15:12
I think Shunter meant to say the anwer is no - you will have to do either ATPL or IR writtens. CPL writtens are not valid for an IR.

IR writtens are less work than ATPL writtens so I suggest you go down that route.

Shunter
3rd Mar 2008, 17:36
There aren't that many schools which provide the CPL and IR courses, most go for the mass market with is obviously ATPL. I went with CATS at Cranfield for my IR and found the price good, and the course material excellent. Exams have to be done at Gatwick and they're every 2 months.

SkyCamMK
3rd Mar 2008, 19:39
The good news is that the IR exams also ignore parts of the subjects passed at CPL level that are deemed current and so the subjects are more relevant to the qualification/rating. You can do it all online these days (study that is) but you will still get brush up courses etc and will have to register with a school and take progress/check tests etc. Exams are £60 each next entry deadline is I think 23 March for April exams.

SkyCamMK
3rd Mar 2008, 19:41
The good news is that the IR exams also ignore parts of the subjects passed at CPL level that are deemed current and so the subjects are more relevant to the qualification/rating. You can do it (nearly) all online these days (study that is) but you will still get brush up courses etc and will have to register with a school and take progress/check tests etc. Exams are £60 each next entry deadline is I think 23 March for April exams.

MrAverage
10th Mar 2008, 16:52
Thanks for all the info everyone.