PDA

View Full Version : Automatic cloud base measurement systems?

rotorspeed
2nd Mar 2008, 12:15
Although it may well be prohibitively expensive, I am interested in any automatic cloud base measuring systems that might be suitable for private sites. Any advice on types/suppliers/cost etc? Be nice to have a more accurate idea on cloud base when doing IMC let downs than guestimating from nearest airports - if open!

ShyTorque
2nd Mar 2008, 13:19
I worked at one unit where the chief pilot was totally against such devices. Reason? If we knew how low the cloudbase really was we might not try to make an approach...... :rolleyes: Sad, but true.

matspart3
2nd Mar 2008, 13:26
About £10-15k for a refurbished one. Up to £40k for a new one

zorab64
2nd Mar 2008, 13:31
Try
http://www.vaisala.com/weather/products/aviation/forothercontinents/aviationsensors/cloudheight
We had an earlier version installed about 4 years ago and it's been excellent - can be remotely linked to other sites, I believe, or maybe linked to a website, should you wish to interogate from elsewhere.

Good luck :ok:

Helinut
2nd Mar 2008, 14:06
I think that they are coming down in price a bit: the last one I heard of was under the £10K new. Most police units have been forced to buy them, so the path is fairly well trodden.

I recall a company/website Skyview that are another source

MightyGem
2nd Mar 2008, 15:38
We've had a Vaisala unit for many years now. An excellent unit, does what it says on the tin. Worth it's weight in gold on a dark and stormy night.

Brilliant Stuff
2nd Mar 2008, 17:17
And then you might want a vizometer at £8500,-

exlatccatsa
2nd Mar 2008, 18:38
You could try these guys
http://www.muir-matheson.com/Sensors-Clouds.php

rotorspeed
3rd Mar 2008, 07:11
Excellent; thanks to all. The power of PPRune - achieved more than Google could!

Langball
3rd Mar 2008, 08:19
We have the Vaisala unit on our offshore installation. Just gone 10 years continuous operation before first incidence of u/s. I know from experience that the pilots rely heavily on it.

Is is part of a Fugro Geos system. See them at http://www.geos.com/

As mentioned before another vendor is Muir Matheson.

I would expect to pay 'Oilfield' prices for both of these companies. Not sure if you can get a 'cheaper' version for onshore.

Our system was originally installed by InstallOcean, who were then bought out by Fugro. I see they still have a web site at www.installocean.co.uk/ so you could try them to see have done a CHC on it.

Brilliant Stuff
4th Mar 2008, 10:39
Since we are mentioning possible vendors. We should also point to met-enguk.

2STROPS
4th Mar 2008, 11:04
Hi

As a non-pilot type - can you make approaches now to a private site and descend below safety altitude while still IMC?

2S

Bravo73
4th Mar 2008, 11:09
As a non-pilot type - can you make approaches now to a private site and descend below safety altitude while still IMC?

Is that a) 'can you' or b) 'is it legal' to?

a) Yes
b) No

PS As a non-pilot type

2STROPS - your profile lists your occupation as 'Pilot'. Which one is it? :confused::confused:

rotorspeed
4th Mar 2008, 14:18
And seems strange that a "non pilot type" knows what IMC and safety altitude means! So what type actually are you, 2STROPS?

4th Mar 2008, 19:10
It's still a very pertinent question when someone wants to get such a piece of equipment for a private site.