PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Advice

dcarroll
2nd Mar 2008, 10:30
Hi Guys,
Starting my ppl in August the States, the long and winding modular route. Just wondering can anyone advise me the best possible aircraft to do it on- Im trying to decide between the C150 or the Piper Warrior!! The Piper is a little more expensive aswell. If anyone out there has flown either or has studied at oba I would love to hear from you.

Cheers,
Dan

coodem
2nd Mar 2008, 10:58
I fly both, not a lot between the 2, apart from space, speed. But as to learning in I dont thin'k it would make a diff. I learnt to fly in OBA's 150/2's, came back to the UK, and was signed off on the PA28 161, within 2 hours.

I prefere to fly the PA28, as it has more space, a little faster.

nick14
2nd Mar 2008, 17:34
learn to fly the cessena as it will cost less, if you want to fly the piper then you can convert after a few hours its not hard and much cheaper than flying the warrior from the start.

portsharbourflyer
2nd Mar 2008, 18:22
The PA28 although a far nicer aircarft to fly form my experience as an instructor is almost too easy an aircarft to fly to be a good trainer.

As said C152 trained pilots have no problems converting to a PA28, but I find pilots whom have learned on the PA28 will struggle to convert to a C152. C152 is far better for developing stick and rudder skills.

coodem
2nd Mar 2008, 18:30
And if you get the right instructor, the cessna aerobat can be real fun, if you get to do spin training, unusual attitude

SkyCamMK
2nd Mar 2008, 20:30
Fly Cessna, save the money and use it learn how to fly in British weather when you come back or to experience aerobatting as suggested. A ppl is a ppl neither aircraft resemble a 747 so just enjoy, learn all you can and remember USA is a different carry on!