PDA

View Full Version : KLM and API to Spain

10secondsurvey
2nd Mar 2008, 09:10
A friend of mine is travelling to spain next week via Shiphol, from the UK. Person is UK passport holder.

My understanding is that since June 2007, Advance passnger information was required for flights to Spain (just like the USA), before the passenger boards the aircraft. The person involved has been told quite categorically (and extremely rudely) by KLM staff that NO such information is required for travel to Spain.

two of the klm agents he spoke to said they had never heard of it, so I'm guessing maybe it doesn't apply to KLM?

Can anybody very knowledgable clarify this, as KLM are aggressively saying it is not required, yet I seem to recall that it is required - or does it only apply to BA or UK airlines?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

KiloMIke
2nd Mar 2008, 19:13
I think that Spain only requires API details for flights originating from non Schengen countries. Netherlands is part of Schengen and that may be why the KLM people were unaware.

Shack37
3rd Mar 2008, 18:13
I have travelled to and from Spain to the UK direct and via Paris many times since this rule came into effect. It simply involves your passport being swiped at checkin. On arrival in Spain all EU passports seem to be waved through passport control with only a visual face / photo check.
Your friend shouldn't have any problem.

Seat62K
1st Apr 2008, 11:03
I fly regularly to Alicante and can't remember the last time I arrived on a flight from the UK when there was anyone checking passports on arrival. Curiously, the National Police always check passports when passengers are leaving.....

ATNotts
1st Apr 2008, 17:50
It'll be a non Schengen thing. Schengen applies throughout the EU, with notable exceptions (UK, Ireland and I think Switzerland - though I heard that even the Swiss are signing up).

If you're travelling between Schengen countries crossing borders, whether by air or land, is much the same, as for example, crossing from Yorkshire to Lancashire - no let or hindrance.

It's a shame that the UK can't give it's citizens (subjects actually) the same right of unhindered transit across our own border. It's an absolute joy to leave "passport control" behind and put the passport away once you've negotiated UK Immigration.

TotalBeginner
3rd Apr 2008, 11:14
think that Spain only requires API details for flights originating from non Schengen countries.

Absolutely correct! API transmission is only required for flights arriving in spain from outside of the Schengen territory.