PDA

View Full Version : Flying schools in Asia, India, Pakistan

bouncerhal
2nd Mar 2008, 00:17
Hello,

I am fairly new to the site, It has so much knowledge on these forums. J

As it being my first post I have used the search facility but I could not find anything on this, As many of you know Asia is pretty cheap when it comes to most things, I have already been to a flying school in Pakistan where you can obtain a PPL in just under £3000 in UK money, the only downside is that you have to convert it to JAA and re take the exams when and if you want to find employment/fly here in the UK, and it is pretty hot out there and accommodation and food is cheap too, you just have to watch out for the rip off’s though, but it is a good way to build hours.

Anyways I have searched everywhere but I cant find this information, What I want to know is there a flying school for HELICOPTERS where I can do my PPL in Asia as this would be a cheap method of building hours, I have searched the entire Google but cannot find anything and I do not wish to go the countries just to realize there is not one existing in the country can anyone help provide me this information?

I have already started my PPL (H) here in the UK I can fund it after saving up but a recent visit startled me when I realized it was so cheap over there, I do not wish to fly fixed wing as I want to be a Helicopter Pilot, Can anyone else shed some light?

alouette3
2nd Mar 2008, 01:46
Unless you plan to work in Asia, the cheapest place to get a pilot's license, still(despite the falling dollar and the high oil prices ) is the USA.The problem here is the Visa regulations post 9/11. Unfortunate but that is the new world order.
Alt3.

bouncerhal
2nd Mar 2008, 13:18
"Unless you plan to work in Asia"

Hi not really, because if you have had taken a loan out or saved money for your flying then it shouldnt be that difficult, but it may mean leaving your day job in the country you live in, and I have compared the flying rates with the States and Asia, in my opnionion it works out cheaper in asia because there is more value for pound there.

206Fan
2nd Mar 2008, 13:50
I have already been to a flying school in Pakistan where you can obtain a PPL in just under £3000 in UK money

Thats fixed wing correct? Very cheap.. Does australia interest you? Im going there in june to start my CPL (H)!

bouncerhal
2nd Mar 2008, 19:47
Hi Davy,

Yes that is fixed wing, I have tried all the directories and asked around lot of fixed wing clubs if they know any place for PPL (H) Pak, but they don't seem to know, anyways I wouldn’t mind Australia what is the going to be for CPL there? I assume PPL will be cheaper.

PlankBlender
2nd Mar 2008, 22:36
Give South Africa a thought, mate. I did some training there a while back, it's a great country in many regards (imagine fly-in safaris as a bonus after you complete your license), English speaking which is important in aviation, standard of living is very good especially in Cape Town, theory requirements are realistic (forget Australian Air Law madness) etc.

I don't know about current exchange rates, but for me it's definitely an alternative next to the US, Australia, and Europe. I would be very careful with anything different from those four geographies for a variety of reasons:

Check conversion requirements: I'm almost certain the Europeans will make you jump through some extra hoops if you turn up with a Pakistani license. They don't even fully acknowledge Aussie licenses, go figure!

Make sure wherever you go the fleet is of a good standard. I cannot imagine engineer training and maintenance oversight is anything like in the more developed countries..

Thoroughly check the reputation of any training organisation, especially where there is no information available on pprune or through other independent sources.. you wouldn't want to think you're getting a bargain and then getting scammed out of your hard-earned. Remember once you've made the move and started somewhere, the cost of changing can be very high!

Good luck, and remember, in aviation price is not you main consideration..

denlopviper
2nd Mar 2008, 23:00
Hey Bouncerhal

answer is...there is no heli school in pak. the only ones training heli pilots are the army and the navy..

on the lack of schools topic, no one here is offering CFI in fixed wings either...again the only instructor school is FIS which only happens to train instructors for PAF and Pak Army/Navy :{:ugh::ugh:

complete fixed wing CPL/IR these days cost just between UK£12500 to 16500 depending on which school you goto

206Fan
3rd Mar 2008, 10:48
anyways I wouldn’t mind Australia what is the going to be for CPL there? I assume PPL will be cheaper.Yea the Helicopter PPL would cost you 10 Grand (UK Sterling) 20K Australian Dollars with PHS..

The CPL (H) will cost me 23 Grand (UK Sterling) at 47K Australian Dollars.. Thats with the theory course included and tests.. Have the option of the S300 CBi or R22 and you get a discount on a Bell 206 rating if you want, also you can get a H500D rating with them and the AS350/R44!

I know alot of good dust buster drivers here would advise going to florida and training due to you gtta sit the exams again if you train in oz and come back to the UK. A mate of mine is at bristow in florida at the minute doing his PPL, he said the school is jammed at the minute. Im going over to relatives in brissy so i don't have to pay to stay anywer for the year plus il have work when i get over there!

bouncerhal
4th Mar 2008, 22:14
Hi,

Right I see what you mean and after having a brief chat with some people at JAA I dont think their to keen on having a Pakistani licencse holders, They rather have go through everything agaim, and as for south africa I will givethat consideration, and aussie is almost the same as here in the UK so not as much point going over there i would have thought.

Anyways guys thanks for your reponse much appricaited.

206Fan
5th Mar 2008, 16:18
After the year il more than likely come home and go to america on the J1 visa and switch to FAA and build hours over two years, thats the plan anyway..

Yea all the best man..:ok:

Old Skool
5th Mar 2008, 16:54
Davy07, be careful with the J1 visa requirements, if i remember right, you can't already hold a commercial license, be it FAA, JAA or AusAA!!!
I maybe wrong though...

Bounceral, As for cheap training and hour building, some future potential employer may question a PPL or CPL gained in Pakistan or other similar country, just a thought.

JamieAshwell
7th Mar 2008, 06:36
Are there any helicopter flights schools in South-East Asia?

I was due to commence training at a helicopter flight school in the UK this year. However, due to personal reasons I have to move to S.E. Asia in July 2008. I am therefore keen to undertake my training in Asia and build up my hours, and then do whatever re-training or exams are necessary when I return to the UK.

I have search the internet and other resources for the past few days and have found no mention of any helicopter flights schools in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore etc.

I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know of any helicopter flight schools in S.E. Asia and any contact details for them? Any advice about this plan or training in Asia would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time.

JamieAshwell
12th Mar 2008, 12:13
Are there any helicopter flights schools in South-East Asia?

I was due to commence training at a helicopter flight school in the UK this year. However, due to personal reasons I have to move to S.E. Asia in July 2008. I am therefore keen to undertake my training in Asia and build up my hours, and then do whatever re-training or exams are necessary when I return to the UK.

I have search the internet and other resources for the past few days and have found no mention of any helicopter flights schools in Thailand or Singapore etc., with the exception of 2 in Malaysia (Johor and K.L.). I am supposed to move to Bangkok but am struggling to find a flight school there, so am opening my search to S.E. Asia.

I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know of any helicopter flight schools in S.E. Asia and any contact details for them? Any advice about this plan or training in Asia would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time.

Bravo73
12th Mar 2008, 12:51
The ICAO directory for PPL(H) training providers (http://www.icao.int/td/rslten.cfm) lists a school in Thailand, Civil Aviation Training Center:

http://www.icao.int/td/detlen.cfm?&WhichOne=10

http://www.icao.int/td/crsen.cfm?Course_ID=00010458

But I hope that your Thai is good. I can't seem to find an English version of their website:

http://www.catc.or.th/2007/index.php

Edited to add: Aha, found the English version. Looks like it's what you're after. :cool:

http://www.catc.or.th/2007/training/privatehelicopter_en.html

These also have a CPL(H) module (http://www.catc.or.th/2007/training/helicopter_en.html).

HTH

born2kill
12th Mar 2008, 15:02
i'm attending one in malaysia..in ipoh, perak actually. currently i'm undergoing IF training at this flying school. you can check it out:

http://www.integrated-avac.com/main.html

FYI, they're using R44, EC 120B and rented AS355 (for multi-crew and IF training)

JamieAshwell
21st Apr 2008, 14:54
Thank you so much for the links. I had got close to finding this page, but hadn't got passed the Thai or managed to get any sense on the telephone.

Two questions. How did you know about this, and how did you possibly get through the Thai page!!??

Thanks again, i really appreciate it. Now all i need to do is get over there and onto the course. have you done something similar?

James

JamieAshwell
21st Apr 2008, 15:58
I was due to commence training at a helicopter flight school in the UK this year. However, due to personal reasons I have to move to S.E. Asia in July 2008. I am therefore keen to undertake my training in Thailand and build up my hours, and then do whatever re-training or exams are necessary when I return to the UK.I have searched the internet and other resources for the past few weeks and have found very little mention of any helicopter flights schools in Thailand or Singapore etc., with the exception of 2 in Malaysia (Johor and K.L.) and one in BKK that appears to have stopped training. I am supposed to move to Bangkok but am open to elsewhere in S.E. Asia.I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know of any helicopter flight schools in S.E. Asia?

I am also keen to understand what disadvantage i would be at in training in Asia vs. US or UK?

What should i be cautious of and look out for when selecting a school?Thanks so much for your time.