PDA

View Full Version : Start my Pilot Career. But where?

kianus
1st Mar 2008, 12:17
OK people! Im now seriously thinking about starting my flying career this summer...

I've read MUCH on this forum, but have some questions.

Okay here goes:
What is the possibility to get a job with "Just" 200 hrs of training that we get in most schools here in europe? And WHAT country should I choose to start my training?

I live in Norway, and want to live not too far away from my home country. What do you guys think is the best option for me?

What country is for example cheap to live in? U.K? Spain? Croatia? Portugal? and the list goes on..

I also want to go to a school that is "respected" in the business..

OK, hope you will give me some answers :)

in advance, thanks!

xiayou
1st Mar 2008, 17:13
I am like you, about same age and from Norway. But I want to finish my university bachelor in computer science first. I guess with the different scenarios in aviation recruitment, you have to make plan-b`s. Besides, having a degree may be a benefit?

Just started training to become a F/A besides the studies. I guess it won`t hurt having some experience as a crewmember later? Maybe there is someone here who has gone from f/a to pilot who care to ellaborate?

I was wondering about Oxford? Anyone who can enlighten us a bit?

pt_flyer
1st Mar 2008, 23:51
Yes Portugal is cheap to live in, but not the best flight training you can get. I live in Portugal and am thinking of doing my training in the UK. The training quality is not comparable. My advice, don't go where living is cheap, go where you think you get the best quality training.

:ok:

kianus
2nd Mar 2008, 02:23
For me it is not a option to do a degree. I currently now work in the Norwegian Army, and is stationed in Afghanistan.
So after this I feel I wont have the time. I want to start the education before I get 25. ive recently got a tips from denmark: Quite interesting; centerair.dk.

They have a MPL with 737 type rating for about 650.000 dkk.

But whats the MPL vs CPL? Do I loose some rights?

Pilot Positive
2nd Mar 2008, 15:45
Hi guys,

Oxford Academy is a well respected school although the course cost and living costs will be expensive. :hmm: Be also prepared to fall into the "tow the line and be self-effacing or else. You are not a customer." culture. :ugh:

Do not go as a modular student buying into the "we'll get you a job chum" line as its a sale line for suckers (if not crossing that threshold of mis-representation := ) and they will not find you work at all as integrated students will be given preference (make more money from them).

Kianus, you can get a job with 200hrs through an integrated ab initio route. However look at the market carefully and see what meets your own criteria. Ignore the sales pitch and look at each school objectively.

OAA should be a choice but not neccessarily the first or best choice. Others might include Cabair, Jerez FTE (spain), CTC equally as well respected schools.

Good luck :ok:

Greg2041
2nd Mar 2008, 20:43
Consider CATS as well.

http://www.cranfieldaviation.com/uk/

As soon as my credit card comes through, I am signing up with them. A lot cheaper than the other service providers and very highly regarded by the CAA and more importantly the students that I have met.

Best wishes and enjoy!

Stable Ish
3rd Mar 2008, 10:44
can't comment on other schools or modular, but i went through integrated at oxford. the place isn't perfect by any means, and you will have to bite your tongue from time to time to keep your head below the parapet.
there were 22 on my course, 1 dropped out before finishing groundschool, and 4 were arabs who had jobs sewn up at home before starting the course. Of the rest of us, we all have jobs - mostly on jets, some on turboprops. Most had to pay (approx £20k) for a type rating, a few (BA + one other) didn't.

there are definitely cheaper ways of flight training, but i can tell you this:
If you pass the OAA selection, have the cash to pay for the course, and probably a type rating as well, and work your balls off during the course, in the current market you stand a bloody good chance of landing an airline job (probably jet) within 6 - 8 months of finishing.
As i say, it's not perfect but it works.

I'm sure other schools (eg FTE) are as good, modular as well, but i can tell u from my experience the above is fact. Obviously if another 9/11 happens it won't matter where u trained, getting a job would be near impossible.
If you can get on a Netjets scheme or similar it's a bit of a no brainer.

best of luck what ever u choose

all i would say is speak to people who have actually gone to a school and got a job at the end of it before choosing to go there. stories about a guy who knows a guy whose mates brother went there are no good - you need to hear it from the horses mouth

Pilot Positive
3rd Mar 2008, 12:50
Fully endorse Stable Ish's comments...about his experiences with OAA. :)

You do stand a good chance of getting work once you have finished with them...although may want to read the OAA threads for the flipside.:}

You also stand an equally good chance with the other schools mentioned...especially given the current market conditions. :):)

No-one is the same so finding a school that you are comfortable with should take a little investment of time rather than a huge investment of money making, perhaps, a not so good decision.

Look at the market objectively and do talk to people who know the schools i.e. students who are going through or who have been through, the airlines and TRTOs. They will all be happy to talk to you. ;)