PDA

View Full Version : Do airlines use some aircraft as spares?

Eboy
29th Feb 2008, 22:26
Do large airlines keep some aircraft as spares or backup? Not in scheduled service, but ready if there is problem with a scheduled aircraft? Or are all aircraft flying?

Avman
29th Feb 2008, 23:07
The quick answer is yes they do, but not in the sense that specific airframes remain exclusively as spare aircraft in the fleet. Aircraft are rotated as "spares" (or back-up) on a daily basis.

BelArgUSA
29th Feb 2008, 23:29
Hola Eboy -
xxx
Yes, there are "spare airplanes" available.
But depends where. As an example, for us, a South American airline, we have a 747-200 and a 737-200 who are available as "spare" on short notice, should one of our other airplanes have a technical problem. But, these two spare airplanes are located at our base, in South America.
xxx
So, if you are going to travel to Europe, say, on a 747-400, and the airplane found to have a major problem, the "spare 747-200" might fill-in, but that will be with some amount of delays. In a typical scenario, the "spare" will be ready and departing some 4 hours later, than originally scheduled.
xxx
Spare airplanes, say in Europe for us...? - There are NONE. In that case, we might try to book our stranded passengers on other airlines, or in a worst case scenario, even charter an airplane from a European carrier. Or put 350 passengers in hotels until we fix the machine...
xxx
Not too long ago (I fly the 747-200s), we had to rush our "spare 747-200" to Sao Paulo GRU airport (empty) to pick-up 300 stranded passengers of a major European carrier, and fly them (very unhappy people) to Europe, where they arrived with some 12 hours delay. Even though our cabin staff had cheerful smiles, these passengers were not exactly ready to thank us for being "late" to assist them to get to their destination.
xxx
Upon arrival in Europe, a few of these passengers even asked to speak to the captain, to express their displeasure in being late. Not our fault, we did our best to help. They were not OUR passengers. And sorry, not many of our spare flight attendants did bark the language of these passengers, they all can speak English well, and sometimes "only" 2 or 3 other languages...
xxx
No wonder that many pilots love to fly cargo. Little boxes do not insult the crews.
:)
Happy contrails.

fendant
1st Mar 2008, 08:02
See in Russia ( DME and especially Airports East of Moscow) lots of cannibalised Iljuschin's and Tupolew's. Looks as if they are used to keep the rest of the fleet of here lesser known Russian airlines flying:eek:.

Frank

The SSK
2nd Mar 2008, 19:41
When an airline builds its schedule, it will draw up a 'knitting pattern' in which an aircraft inbound on service xxx will be earmarked to operate out again on service yyy. At outstations it's obvious, at mainbase it depends on the turnround time used for planning. At one stage in my career used to draw these things with a ruler and graph paper, I guess they are more sophisticated now.

With minimum turnround, there will be no backup if something goes wrong (might be technical but more likely to be a delay to the incoming aircraft). By planning for a longer turnround at mainbase you can provide cover for delays but at quite a cost penalty.

Back when European ATC delays were spiralling out of control, a BA planner told me that between one Summer season and the next, they had to buy three new shorthaul aircraft (at $35 million apiece), not to expand but to protect the integrity of the schedule. These aircraft weren't sitting around idle at Heathrow waiting to be called off standby, they were integrated into the knitting pattern to give a bit more flexibility.

groundhand
3rd Mar 2008, 10:37
John R

EZY certainly do; both in UK and Europe.
Can't answer about FR.

GH

BelArgUSA
3rd Mar 2008, 11:20
FedEx - Memphis, TN -
xxx
Since many years ago (my info comes from early 1980s). an empty airplane (back then was a 727) is holding in the mid US continental area, ready to proceed to any point in the USA to replace any AOG flight at any out station. Possible they use a larger type nowadays.
xxx
I understand that UPS is/was doing same.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails