PDA

View Full Version : Advice before i blow my life savings, pls

Leeds1972
29th Feb 2008, 20:44
Im 30 and recently had a lesson at multiflight in Leeds and was told by the instructor that i seem to have a natural feel for flying, this has got me thinking of taking 30 grand out of my house and maybe trying to change careers as unhappy at the mo. Just wondering do they say this to everyone??? as 30 grand is almost my life savings...
Since i was a child i always wanted to be a pilot but never thought possible, until now.
Also can anyone recommend multiflight or even sherburn? I'm looking at doing my ppl and then maybe my atpl over the next 2 yrs. Also whats prospects of getting a job. Sorry for all the questions just need:ugh: HELP....

dhc1180
29th Feb 2008, 20:50
go for it. keep going, and dont look back. be positive. self belif. just dont get ill, sick, depressed, injured, or keep failing exams

u'll be fine! :ok:

MikeAlphaBravo
29th Feb 2008, 20:52
Go for it! If you dont you will always wonder what if. There are jobs out there and you just need effort and determination. Oh and some dosh;)

Leeds1972
29th Feb 2008, 20:54
Cheers DHC:ok:

Adios
29th Feb 2008, 20:56
If you want a fairly objective opinion, book an assessment with www.gapan.org. It will cost £175 or so, but they are not an FTO so you should not have to worry they are blowing smoke up your exhaust pipe.

pt_flyer
29th Feb 2008, 21:42
Listen to Adios advice. All FTOs want is money. They will do anything for you to give your money to them. GAPAN is not biased like them. They will most likely tell you the truth. I understand your passion for flying, I feel the same. Just don't go to one FTO without getting to know the others. Have you thought of the Flyer Exhibition this April? It seems like a good place to get to know the industry, all under one roof.

:ok:

JB007
29th Feb 2008, 21:54
I did my PPL at Sherburn back in 1995, it was great, i've been back a few times and it hasn't really changed, fantastic atmosphere! Pop along for a chat..

It's all worth it...I take a B767 to Cuba in a few days...

preduk
29th Feb 2008, 21:58
You could always do your PPL, after you finish decide whether you want to go further or not. If you decided not to, then you still have a PPL to take advantage of.

Leeds1972
29th Feb 2008, 22:34
Thanks to everybody who has taken time out to reply, it is greatly appreciated.. Keep em coming, all advice welcome

captainjono
29th Feb 2008, 23:04
Good call Preduck! I'd suggest the same. 100% definately go for the PPL first,, then review it as to whether the full ATPL route is right for you.

Enjoy!

mcgoo
29th Feb 2008, 23:20
As Adios suggested take the GAPAN aptitude test,this will give you some indication of your capability for the training, also before you spend anything after that, go and get your class 1 medical from Gatwick, theres no point spending thousands on training only to find out you cannot pass it.

coodem
1st Mar 2008, 06:43
I've done the same thing. Did my PPL at 28, just as a hobby, then after a year and 150 hours, I thought I wanted more out of it and decided I wanted to change careers. So I was fortunate ennough to get redundancy last October. Passed 6 of the ATPL's in December, doing another 5 in March seatings, then the final 3 in April. Then the real flying starts.

Do I regret it, No way, I am actually enjoying the studying, It does get a bit frustrating, it is hard work, but at least I know that every bit I do is a bit closer in the right direction.

If I were you, I would do your PPL, on the side, then start the ATPL's before deciding if its what you want to do. Good luck

I might add, I have always had a passion for flying, and when I started I just wanted it to be as a hobby, but I soon got the bug, and wanted to fly for a living. But before I rushed into things I waited over a year, to see if I was still as keen. I just got more passion, and was wanting it more and more everyday

ford cortina
1st Mar 2008, 07:25
Just bear in mind, it could and does often cost more, lots more, than 30 thousand pounds. Test fee's, re test fees, extra flying hours etc

HairyMum
1st Mar 2008, 09:26
Defo go for the PPL, as for the pro pilot....be realistic with your £££ as there are so many hidden extras that go into not only into the hundreds but also the thousands equipment, exams and fees etc...as for the comment from the instructor "you seem to have a natural feel for it" well, they all say it mate and yes its a sales pitch because they get paid when you fly. Not being negative in any way, its just very important that you dont get romanced into becoming a pilot. If it feels right in your heart then go for it full-on and i wish you the best of luck.

PS. you will absolutly love it

Pull Up Whoop Whoop
1st Mar 2008, 09:52
Leeds...sounds like you have the bug! go for it! I did an ab-initio through multiflight, only complaints really was doing ppl in states, lots of confusion over what was included in price, otherwise guys and gals at multiflight were absolutely fantastic! £30k!!!! thats what they quoted when I started in 2003...the truth???? more like £40/45k :{, and before anyone says, I didnt really go much over the minimum criteria either!

Truth is...i was earning a lot more before I took up commercial flying, but I would never go back!

Good luck!

Sid Departure
1st Mar 2008, 10:16
Leeds1972
When I read your initial post my immediate thought was, "does this guy have a passion for flying?"

Then I read' Since i was a child i always wanted to be a pilot but never thought possible, until now.

Mate, go for it! :ok:

The "right stuff" is the right attitude.

Good luck.

fullrich
1st Mar 2008, 10:35
By all means go for it but dont go in with the intention of blowing the 30k just because you think its neccessary. Why not keep the day job for as long as possible and keep the 30k for a possible type rating. Its when you get the MEIR rating on your licnese that youll really feel the pinch financially and many pilots stumble at this point because they simply cant afford to cough up any more cash for a TR. Be wise-many out there are not!

Re-Heat
1st Mar 2008, 10:41
Caution - don't enter aviation as you are unhappy in your current job - instead go into aviation as you are passionate about moving into aviation.

I would advise spending some cash doing the GAPAN skills test to ensure you have the aptitude. You certianly have the right idea by doing your PPL first. Good luck.

Leeds1972
1st Mar 2008, 10:44
Thinking of maybe taking the gapan test but honestly just so gutted if its a no... Anyone taken the Gapan? If so whats it involve and anyone failed and gone on to be a "good" pilot?
Once again thanks for all your support on this subject.

ford cortina
1st Mar 2008, 11:56
man I did not do the GAPAN, I went modular similar to yourself, spent more than 30K, however 38 and driving a 738 down in Africa. If you want to do it then you can, best of luck. But get your Class One Medical first!!!!

Keith.Williams.
1st Mar 2008, 12:45
Whatever you choose to do, think carefully before you do it. Flying training is very expensive and there are lots of traps along the way.

Having had your trial lesson, I suggest the next thing you should do is to get a Class 1 medical. This costs more than a GAPAN test, but if you cannot pass the medical then the game is over. So pass this one first.

Then take the GAPAN test. If this indicates that you are a hopeless case then it is probably better to select a different career path. But if it shows that you are not "a born pilot" this doesn't mean that you cannot become a good pilot. It simply means that the training will be harder and more expensive.

The next logical step is to do your PPL. By the time you complete this you will be in a far better position to decide whether or not to start spending the big money. If you decide not to go ahead with ATPL training you can still fly for fun, so your money will not have been wasted.

If you decide to go ahead with the ATPL then remember to,

Visit lots of schools before selecting one.
Talk to lots of students when visiting the schools.
Pay as little as possible (preferably nothing) up front.
Expect everything to cost more than you think it will.
Put maximum effort into every aspect of your training.

The easiest way to succeed in ATPL training is to work your arse off and pass everything first time. The hardest and most expensive way is to put in minimal effort and just go with the flow.

SkyCamMK
1st Mar 2008, 13:49
Hi I flew with Sherburn and occasionally at Yorkshire Aeroplane Club before Multiflight took it over. With a class one medical and a PPL you have some options. DO not underestimate the ground school. £30k is on the low side these days and there are some time limits involved too. Go to the airport/airfields and meet some of those doing ar having just done the ATPL. Remember anyone can learn to fly or drive or anything else. Passion and commitment are crucial. If you are not obsessive at least at first you will fall by the wayside. When you finish you will work hard but you should be adequately rewarded, Research deeper than on here and all the very best for the future. GAPAN is a good system but is no guarantee of anything. The most important things are to develop a 3D brain, acquire some skills and to study....

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Mar 2008, 14:54
Don't pay for an aptitude test. Do the Class One medical and start on the PPL course at weekends and evenings this summer.

If you pass the PPL course in say less than 55hrs total time then you can be confident that you'll cope with the CPL and IR flight training. The exams are just hard work - its not rocket science but there is a broad range of info to cram in you head but with a bit of slog and a good school even quite thick people pass the ATPL exams.

The PPL will sort you out. You may well find that although its enjoyable its not quite as much fun as you thought and the novelty can wear off fairly quickly. The majority of PPL holder let their licenses lapse within 5 years of getting them and thats the dirty little secret the schools don't talk about. The instructor probably says that to every trial lesson person he flies with - I did when I was a PPL flying instructor even if they had the aptitude of Mr McGoo. Life is tough on £10 per flying hour at the bottom of the pilot food chain..

Good luck, but keep the day job - there's a massive recession coming remember.

LanFranc
1st Mar 2008, 16:17
Leeds,

You wanted opinions, here's one that won't be popular but its based my own experiences and outlook.

I've been at this for 30 years and have 18,000+ hours in diverse areas of the industry. Its been Airline mostly but I've done bush flying (3 years), helicopters (1250 hrs), delivery, cargo (B744) and have even owned my own Cessna 170B. I'm typed on 6 airplanes including the B744 and Airbus A320 with a check airman letter.

Bottom line is while I love flying, it is after-all all I have ever done, I hate the industry, what it has become and where it is headed. Yes, I've had some great times but if I had all to do over again I would do something else. The industry, for pilots at least, peaked about 20 years ago and has gotten worse every year since. I shudder to think what my next 10 years will bring. Unfortunately I have too much invested in this career and I am too far along in age and obligations now to do anything about it.

When I think of how much time and effort I put into what I've been doing the last 30 years and look at the current returns and outlook, I am bitterly disappointed. Doing what what one enjoys or loves doing is a luxury that comes AFTER earning what it takes to take care of yourself and your family in a way that makes one satisfied. Aviation is a field with a diminished capacity to do that.

In the end you will end up doing what you believe is best in your given circumstances. You should be aware however that as well as the initial high investment and expenses you will be faced with the difficulty of getting any job in the first couple of years and a decent paying one for a few years after that. Be also aware that the "big" payoff toward the end of your career, a wide-body command or a secure well paying position affording you a comfortable QOL, may not be there and is dependent on so many things outside your control. One has medicals, check rides, the price of oil, market forces and industry pressures that have the potential to end careers or close companies forcing the pilot to start at the bottom over and over again.

Now, before I get all the flaming/advice that I should just quit and move onto to something else that I enjoy doing let me reiterate something I said before. I am not in a position to do that and that is another trap of an aviation career. It takes such a personal investment of money, time and effort that one can get to a position where one either cannot get out or it is incredibly difficult to do so. IN MY OWN CASE, it has not been worth it. The enjoyment of flying is far outweighed by the bureaucracy of flying, the concerns of potential career ending events, the abuse I and my colleagues suffer at the hands of airline management, the idiocy and shameful disregard of serious issues by regulatory authorities and the almost universally accepted poor outlook for the industry as a whole.

Again, this my opinion NOT my advice. My advice is to weigh the costs and benefits of what you are contemplating considering ALL the facts and keeping your expectations realistic. If, after all that, you feel a flying career is still what you want, then there are plenty of outfits out there ready to take your 30,000 pounds to help you on your way. Sincerely, I wish you every luck with what is a most difficult decision.

Regards,

portsharbourflyer
1st Mar 2008, 17:37
Lan, as said you have had no other career than flying; if you had spent a few years in a design office working on aircraft or a few years in the hangars fixing them you would realise that it is a privilege to be flying them; I have now been in full time flying employment for approaching one year now, everytime I think something negative about flying then I just have to think if I wasn't flying I would be stuck back in the design office crunching numbers.

For the original poster, if you are asking the question should I do this? then I don't think you are dedicated enough. It is true if you think about this in a totally rational logical manner then you would never train as a pilot.
My experience is for those that want to do this or have done this, is we were going to do this anyway no matter how bad the econmomy/pilot recruimentment market is or was.

If you want to train as a pilot you are going to do it regardless of circumstance, the only reason not to advance for some one who wants to do this is the class one medical.

It is irrelevant looking at the current pilot recruitment market or trying to time your training to coincide with a recruitment boom as the market is so changeable; if the recruitment is on a down turn when you finish training just make sure you can afford to keep all your ratings current for a few years or can afford a instructors rating to keep yourself ticking along until the market does pick up again.

LanFranc
1st Mar 2008, 20:57
Port,

"it is a privilege to be flying them; I have now been in full time flying employment for approaching one year now, everytime I think something negative about flying then I just have to think if I wasn't flying I would be stuck back in the design office crunching numbers."

While I appreciate and acknowledge your right to opinion, I hardly think that your whole 365 days experience as a professional pilot qualifies your comment on the subject I was addressing, i.e. the long term. Talk to me again in 10 or 20 years after you've tried feeding and providing for your family with that privilege. Professional flying is just that, a profession. Talk to me again after you've been furloughed/laid off a couple of times and have been on consecutive lower starting salaries. Let me know if you have any negative thoughts after you find yourself making less, in real terms, with a lower QOL many years from now.

If you are happy with your decision and content with the current progression of your career, then I applaud your good fortune, wish you every success and sincerely hope it continues. Alas, for me it wasn't so. Perhaps the secret lies with feeling the "privilege" to be worth more than one's self or one's family. I respectfully submit however, that flying for a living is not worthy of such a pedestal and that both you and your family are worth and deserve more.

Cheers,

p.s. You may have the last word on this as I only wanted to give the original poster my solicited opinion, not engage in a debate on the relative merits of flying careers.

portsharbourflyer
1st Mar 2008, 23:32
Fair points.

Limited flying experience yes, but also spent seven years in the aero engineering sector (I have seem several booms and busts on that sector in quite a limited time span): so I am comparing with a previous career, I don't doubt that in 20 years the novelty of flying may well have worn off. But I will always think what would be the alternative.

You'll find there are loads of industries where modern day terms and conditions are less favourable than those of previous years.

What do you think you would have done career wise knowing what you know now? You'll find most people are fed up with their careers after 20 or 30years.

Philpaz
2nd Mar 2008, 09:07
I did my first 2 hours at multiflight before switching schools and they told me how great i was and i had a natural aptitude etc... I personally choose to believe them because it puts a smile on my face and gives me an ego boost:cool:
I only switched schools because i moved house and found myself living just as close to another school that was cheaper, friendlier and easier to get the hours when i wanted them rather than when i could be fit in. Multi were a great set up but as i say they are VERY busy and so you may find it difficult to get the hours in unless you book way way in advance and the weather at LBA often leaves something to be desired so your mega advanced booking is canceled at the last minute with no chance of re scheduling because they are so booked up. Very frustrating.:{

whyaren'tuflyingboy
2nd Mar 2008, 12:36
Dear Leeds1972,

I don't know why I read PPrune threads at times as for the most part there is a lot of nonsense.

Your question is valid, and I was impressed by the replies you received.

I started later than you from a totally different background having failed maths/science at school and never believed I could do it- now airline employed. Never underestimate the power of bare faced determination!

In no particular order, I was impressed by the responses you received from LanFranc, Keith.Williams, SkyCamMK, Wee Weasley Welshman and portsharbourflyer. Their overall themes were obvious:

Do a class one medical before anything else. If you cannot get it but could hold a class two, you could always do a PPL which might satisfy your desire to fly without spending big money.

Do not listen to a commercial school telling you you're a natural- they want your money.

Expect it to cost far more than £30K- I'd allow up to £60K to be absolutely safe. You cannot get 95% there and not have the money to finish.

Once finished, there are no guarantees and the initial jobs are very poorly paid. Also aviation job security is thin on the ground these days, if you have a family, make sure your wife is 100% behind you and is willing to accept a relatively low living standard that could last for some time, and that multiple relocations could become a necessity with your new career. Your marriage is as good as finished if you are not together on this one.

If it is something you "must" do, if you work at it, you will succeed and remember, the hands-on flying part of a course is only one aspect of training. The bulk of your flight training will involve study, planning, pre flight preparation etc. Do not see this as a drag, it is integral with the job and a keeness to succeed in this area will greatly enhance your flying and the impression you leave on others. Push yourself to "learn" as much as you can from the ground school- don't merely memorise feedback answers as too many now see as the easy way to pass an exam. Pre airline, I was dismayed by the number of people who had finished ATPL exams yet displayed little knowledge or understanding. Don't fall into that trap.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.