PDA

View Full Version : Which IR FTO is best for me???

The Ginger Prince
28th Feb 2008, 21:11
It's a simple enough task you'd think to choose where to train. The simple stuff, is the school JAA approved (I intend to fly in Europe), is the fleet well maintained, what's the student instructor ratio like? ad infinitum....

I'm currently working through the early stages of my CPL in southern England and would obviously like to continue in the UK, my family is here and I know the language....but money is the issue

So if it's a JAA ME/IR your after then Spain seems to be the place.

But is it? Has anyone trained anywhere else? and what is the situation with the 'if you've trained in Spain or somewhere else you're passed over for jobs as against UK trained pilots' scenario.

Is there any truth in this?

So in the end I guess my question is this people.
If you had to do it all again - which FTO's would you choose?

I'm beginning to think that Aerodynamics in Spain will be getting my shekels...

All kind help appreciated - envelopes full of cash preferred obviously;)

Megaton
29th Feb 2008, 06:41
If you're in the south I'd look at Airways Flight Training at Exeter. Visit the place and look at the pictures on the wall from successful students. Browse the forums and try to find a bad word said about them. Finally, look for their advertisements..... you'll struggle because they prosper through word of mouth recommendations.

Adios
29th Feb 2008, 06:56
Bristol is getting students through it in 8 weeks for about £12K plus housing. I don't know if that's south enough for you, but it's closer than Spain and in perhaps slightly more demanding UK airspace.

The Ginger Prince
29th Feb 2008, 10:51
Thanks chaps - I'm based in Oxfordshire, I've heard about Exeter as a training location so I'll check into it - the good old British weather is another factor of course.

combineharvester
29th Feb 2008, 13:03
You could give Aeros at Gloucestershire (Staverton) a shot. I did my CPL/IR there, very impressed and 1st time passes into the bargain. Also not too far from your Oxfordshire location.

biggles99
1st Mar 2008, 06:46
Try Tiger at Shobdon in Herefordshire

They do CPLs and IRs. Don MacDonald is Head of Training there, and he's got an amazing pedigree.

Lots of info on their website