PDA

View Full Version : Hopelessly but hilariously confused journalist

Algy
28th Feb 2008, 21:01
The dangers of writing about stuff that you don't actually understand (http://www.upi.com/International_Security/Industry/Briefing/2008/02/27/bae_nimrod_has_us_test_flights/9055/). Quite amusing in this case. Glad to see the MRA4 is useful for something.

Personally I only write about things that I do understand. Which is why I do so little writing.

Seldomfitforpurpose
28th Feb 2008, 21:15
Bit like the "Hats of to Widow 67" thread appearing 32 minutes after the "Prince Harry fighting in Afghanistan" thread................ nothing like researching your subject :ugh:

Double Zero
28th Feb 2008, 21:58
Well I expect the crews do think about the weather, doing iceing trials;

I especially like the term ' proven maturity ' ( or similar ) - must remind my girlfriend of that one when I buy my replacement indoors radio controlled airship which drives the cats mad !

I reckon the Comet is even older than I am, though I realise the MRA4 is a big change - one can't help wondering why not have a new airframe while they're at it...

Jetex Jim
29th Feb 2008, 01:58
Nimrod weather surveillance aircraft

"Once at Nashville, preparation of the aircraft for the trials included fitting the under wing pylon with specialized probes for characterizing the icing conditions in terms of droplet size and water content," BAE Systems said.

Oh dear can we expect a further protracted development period?

RETDPI
29th Feb 2008, 06:22
Some of us remember "Weather Reconnaissance" aircraft ?:)

zedder
29th Feb 2008, 06:34
BAE Systems describes itself as "the premier global defense and aerospace company delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, information technology solutions and customer support services.

They sure do write some crap in some of these articles don't they. BAe aren't known as WasteofSpace for nothing.

Flying_Scotsman
29th Feb 2008, 09:47
Quote "...after a journey of over 4,500 nautical miles with overnight stops in the Azores and Bermuda"

Surely it needs better range than that as a MPA?!

AR1
29th Feb 2008, 10:28
"the trials will demonstrate the aircraft's continuing maturity"

We all know its mature.

teeteringhead
29th Feb 2008, 11:16
Slightly surprised it wasn't illustrated with a photo of "Snoopy".

Can someone Photoshop "Snoopy's" nose onto a Nimrod??

NimAGE139
29th Feb 2008, 12:20
Quote "Oh dear can we expect a further protracted development period?"

Jetex,

This was always in the test schedule along with all the other airworthiness checks and tests agreed by MOD.

Article's still sh:mad:t though!!

Jetex Jim
29th Feb 2008, 13:34
Really.

Why does it have to go all the way to Nashville, doesn't it rain in England anymore?

Exrigger
29th Feb 2008, 14:01
Jetex Jim, you should no the answer 'its the wrong type of rain' :)

FlightTester
29th Feb 2008, 17:31
I think these are the probes they're refering to...

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT/RT1999/images/5840miller-f2.jpg

And here's two more I prepared earlier in the windtunnel...

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT/RT1999/images/5840miller-f3.jpg

And on a Twin Otter...

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT/RT1999/images/5840miller-f1.jpg

BTW the Twotter has some interesting characteristics with the tailplane iced up and greater than 10 flap! - about 80 lbs out of trim and a right wing stall - way hay!

I suspect that the reason for testing over here in the Good Ole USA is that there's lots and lots of weather in the contiguous 48 and only one controlling authority and one set of overflight paperwork to write.

Double Zero
29th Feb 2008, 18:34
BAe known as ' Waste of space ' - let me tell you it took damn hard work to achieve that title, it's not easy getting rid of people who know one end of an aeroplane from the other, let alone finding bean-counters & milk float drivers to run the show ( which is why I left )...

I expect the trip to the U.S. will involve some nice expenses too.

If I could go back in time, I'd put a long time bet on Goering/Thatcher ( same thing) after all - if I couldn't do something to prevent it all.

Flying Serpent
29th Feb 2008, 20:40
FlightTester...
Looks like you play with the same kit as us on the UKs new Snoopy. See the wing pylons on this. (http://www.faam.ac.uk)

Serpent

:ok:

D-IFF_ident
29th Feb 2008, 23:17
I thought the thing went out to Eglin for icing trials last year?

Riskman
5th Mar 2008, 22:52
I thought the thing went out to Eglin for icing trials last year?

Environmental trials. They stuck it in a freezer the size of Base Hangar and did 'stuff' at -40C.

Jackonicko
6th Mar 2008, 00:33
I'm a hopelessly but hilariously confused journalist at the moment.

and gutless enough to edit my post to this!

:mad: :rolleyes: :{

RRAAMJET
6th Mar 2008, 03:54
American rain is cheaper right now due to the collapse of the dollar...
what a hopeless piece of reporting. LAJ-BDA...? Why? Even the 146 could go further than that. Bit of a jolly, if you ask me...

MOA
6th Mar 2008, 07:09
Great post RRAMJET....

Any involvement with the development of trials aircraft? Any idea of the mitigations that have to be in place when flying developmental software? Any idea of the weather conditions that have to be encountered in order for the ice and rain protection system to be fully qualified?

Jeezz.....

Cpt_Pugwash
6th Mar 2008, 07:23
Flighttester, Flying Serpent...

also on the METEO ATR-42

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x176/ExINASty/Aviation/scan08-5.jpg

Pops556
6th Mar 2008, 09:20
think these are the probes they're refering to...

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT/RT1999/images/5840miller-f2.jpg

"No, these are not the probes you are looking for..."

(An old 'Jedi' trick I learnt! :})

RRAAMJET
6th Mar 2008, 16:58
MOA...yes, actually, but it was very austere...Cyprus and elsewhere. Then Boeing and Loral.

I guess I wrote it too late at night, 'cos sarcasm was hopelessly done by me. The rain in Lajes falls mostly on the plane...

MOA
6th Mar 2008, 17:41
It missed me too RRAAMJET but apologies nonetheless. Too many people are quick to jump down MRA4's throat. The programme has its problems, but this trial was not one of them.

Apologies again.

MOA

RRAAMJET
6th Mar 2008, 22:33
Give the poor thing a chance, I'd say...
(ps I know absolutely zero about it...waaay past my era...but at least it's something keeping people busy; I read with horror the military budget thread elsewhere:eek: Careful what you bash, folks, 'cos it sounds like Gordon's sharpening the big axe...no need to let him bust jobs prematurely).

Come to Dallas today for freezing precip trials:ooh: 6-9" of the wettest claggiest gloop I've ever seen fell in 2 hours; grounded everything. It's normally sunny 70`F this time of year. Chaos. It's headed Nashville way:D

typhoid
8th Mar 2008, 12:48
Ah, so many skeptics. BAE does actually have quite a few very competent people working very hard to make the a/c the best it can be for the funds available today. Not everyone is a 'bean counter' as you describe!

Via Lajes and Bermuda for three reasons (and no 'a jolly' is not one of them):

1. Woodford runway not long enough to take a large fuel uplift, therefore you have to stop somewhere to fill up, so why not the Azores which is at least in the right direction to where you want to go!

2. RVSM clearance not yet obtained, therefore have to take lower altitudes with resultant increase in fuel burn and lower TAS - double whammy.

3. Unable to take the usual TA northern route due winter weather. The whole purpose of the trial in Nashville was to complete the certification of flight in icing incrementally (as per normal Flight Test practice). Therefore deliberately planning to fly into 'unknown' icing conditions without completing the trial first is daft at best!

Overall the trial was a roaring success with all the tests completed in under the programmed time. If you've ever been involved in icing cert work before then you will know just how hit and miss they can be.

Oh, and you are right. In the UK it would be the wrong sort of rain - it's not ice!