28th Feb 2008, 17:02
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1307389,00.html

HG

Tourist
28th Feb 2008, 17:04
Good for him

Flugplatz
28th Feb 2008, 17:07
Better than falling out of nightclubs...
working as a 'JTAC' apparently; maybe he can call his brother in for some CAS.

Good for him!

Flug

Rakshasa
28th Feb 2008, 17:18
Yes, some of us knew and managed to keep shtum, unlike some flippin' aussie journo....

Can some antipodeans do us a favour and jump up and down on the person responsible's head? ;)

Pops556
28th Feb 2008, 17:19
Good for him! Typical that some elements of the press go and p155 on his bonfire for the sake of selling a story. :ugh: What 's the betting he'll get pulled out?

Any Journos lurking out there care to comment on the implications of breaking a 'D' notice?

Archimedes
28th Feb 2008, 17:24
As HM is still head of state in Aus, I wonder if the editor of that 'lifestyle' magazine will be doing features on 'Life in the Tower of London', 'Fashion tips for the Incarcerated' and the like?

Good for Cornet Wales.

blue monday
28th Feb 2008, 17:29
TBH im not too surprised i thought they may do something along the lines of sending him somewhere on the QT, shame the press have :mad: it up for him but good on him for standing his ground and going out there to do his duty, from the interview i have seen he is liking being out of the lime light and being treated as near to normal a person as he can be. Wonder how man confirmed kills he has?

Jackonicko
28th Feb 2008, 17:35
Well done, sir!

It's a good answer to those who quite rightly slagged you off for some of the silliness you were involved in during earlier times.

Cpl Plod
28th Feb 2008, 17:47
WIDOW 67 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7269743.stm)

Nice one Boss:ok:

High_Expect
28th Feb 2008, 17:49
he's talking about the Prince Harry in Afganistan news item that's just been on.

Out there as a JTAC.

:ok:

Jackonicko
28th Feb 2008, 17:50
Oh do keep up!

HRH Prince H has been serving as a JTAC in Helmand for the past few weeks (callsign reported as Widow 67).

The Brit media have known about it and kept schtum (how about some humble pie from those who routinely berate journos), but an Aussie magazine and a US magazine have blown the gaffe.

The UK MoD are now relaxed about reporting it, and ITV News has had little else.

Timelord
28th Feb 2008, 17:51
If Widow 67 is what I think it is then it should not be on an open forum. The bad guys have got radios too you know.

PPRuNe Radar
28th Feb 2008, 17:52
Is Harry aircrew then ?? :confused:

Jackonicko
28th Feb 2008, 17:53
I think that they'll have changed it by now, after ITN splashed it again and again on their evening noos.

PPRuNe Radar
28th Feb 2008, 17:53
Is Harry mil aircrew then ?? :confused:

SpotterFC
28th Feb 2008, 17:58
PPR

No he's a Joint Tactical Air Controller - what used to be called a Forward Air Controller.

Jackonicko
28th Feb 2008, 18:00
Fair's fair.

UK journos have observed the D notice willingly and effectively, and that has been acknowledged by the senior brass.

It's an Aussie journo and a US website who've blown the gaffe.

Labelling all journos on that basis would be as stupid as labelling all members of the Forces on the basis of the poor, sad individual who has just been court martialled and jailed for firearms related 'walt-ery'.

And there's already a thread on this - Widow 67

Pops556
28th Feb 2008, 18:05
There may 'already be a thread on this' but it 'already' started AFTER i posted my question. Check the times stamps. Self publicity.......tuh.

Pops556
28th Feb 2008, 18:13
Quote:
how about some humble pie from those who routinely berate journos
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/laughing-019.gif Now you really are having a laugh. Funniest thing I have read all day.

Made oi larf too! Sticking up for hacks gets my radar up......a member of the press perchance?:E

Jackonicko
28th Feb 2008, 18:27
When I say 'Journo' on my public profile under 'occupation', and routinely and regularly refer to being one, then yes, you can conclude that I'm a journo.....

:rolleyes:

Pops556
28th Feb 2008, 18:31
Watch 'em bite and reel 'em in :}

GPMG
28th Feb 2008, 18:32
It's nice to have a positive and good piece of news regarding HM Forces. Good effort to him.

Jackonicko
28th Feb 2008, 18:35
Yeah.

Your 'radar' is flawless.

And how clever of you to work out that a self confessed journo, with journo on his profile is......

......... a journo!

That must have taken some really intelligent hook-baiting, and boy you suckered me into biting.

Well done.... :rolleyes:

Pops556
28th Feb 2008, 18:39
What? You mean you actually thought I'd bothered to check your profile out before posting? Pick your handbag up, love, and retire with good grace.

Knight Paladin
28th Feb 2008, 18:51
Ladies, please......

Vortex what...ouch!
28th Feb 2008, 19:01
Dullards.....

ORAC
28th Feb 2008, 19:06
Can somebody please please "out" the journalist who broke the story. I'd like to see him ostracised for the foreseeable future. If he thinks he doesn't the rules don't apply to him, perhaps not being told anything and watching his pay packet shrink might serve to as a lesson.

EdVFX
28th Feb 2008, 19:14
Fair play to the man for doing his bit.

Those who spilled the beans should hang their heads in shame for spoiling his tour and putting the lives of the guys serving in sandy places at greater risk.

Oh, and a plague on the houses of those who choose to make political capital out of his (and countless others) efforts for Queen and Country, without providing the necessary resources...

Vortex what...ouch!
28th Feb 2008, 19:28
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/newidea/8771/?page=8&last_page=1#comments

Archimedes
28th Feb 2008, 19:56
The editor-in-chief of the virtual rag is called Robyn Foyster, and her 'rag' broke the story in January. Fortunately, since it would appear to be read only by a few (plus as you may see if you visit the link, outraged Arrse users pausing to leave observations similar, but not identical to 'runt' and 'banker'), no-one really noticed. I doubt that the Taleban's IT kit allows access to that sort of thing (instant execution, I'd imagine, for being found on that site).

However, when the egregious Matt Drudge of the 'Drudge Report' found out, he ran it - given the widespread attention the 'Drudge Report' gets, OPSEC/PERSEC went.

Like This - Do That
28th Feb 2008, 20:16
New Idea broke this story? Bugger me with a fish fork. Do you blokes know what New Idea is? Heavens above - Britney Spears rehab stories, cellulite treatment breakthroughs and lamb recipes obviously not good enough for some!

Was this a deliberate leak? Naaah - given the choice between a cockup and a cover up, I suspect cock up every time.

Anyway, good on Cornet Wales, even if he does need a haircut.

SOTV
28th Feb 2008, 20:44
What a big story. Royalty serve in action. Wow.

Apparently Andy did a bit in '82. Phil the Greek when he didn't have an arse in his trousers and nowhere to go served his bit in the Med. D'aint do so bad did he?

The cousin, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, got his arse wet a few times as well. The last time was the last. Poor bugger.

There are many more.

Let him alone to do what he has been trained to do. Please.

Tonkenna
28th Feb 2008, 21:03
Good on him, but do we really need all the hyp on the TV now... a 1 hour News at 10 Special:rolleyes: Good grief:ugh:

Tonks :hmm:

jwcook
28th Feb 2008, 21:05
Well those in Australia and elsewhere this rag is sold could show their feelings by hiding the magazines behind 'stamp collectors monthly' or 'The Ferret wrestling annual' ... perhaps a dip in sales caused by hard to find mags may focus their minds.:}

and as for the editor - "I've seen more brains on a butchers apron.."

PS The ferret wrestlers will thank you.

magazine contact details :-
http://www.pacificmags.com.au/Pages/Magazines/Contacts.aspx?mid=978a4091-bc21-400a-97fc-732b22328062

Cheers

Brian Abraham
28th Feb 2008, 22:02
Listened to the interview with the lad on radio. Came across well, good on him. See New Idea has pulled the story. Story doing the rounds here is a German media outfit made the leak.

cargosales
28th Feb 2008, 23:21
Having watched a lot of footage tonight, I have to say that I'm mightily impressed with the bloke's attitude and also how he deals with the media :D

I'm also mightily impressed with the British media for having the decency and honour to respect and adhere to a news 'blackout'. For FFS, those questioning, or even arguing against that being done, can have so little understanding of military matters that their opinion is worthless. That or they'd willingly put regular troops in harms way for the sake of a 'good' news story :yuk:

Sunfish
29th Feb 2008, 00:00
Nice media you have? ITtime for a beefed up D Notice system.

[QUOTE]Snowmail: Prince Harry in Afghanistan

Last Modified: 28 Feb 2008
By: Jon Snow

"I never thought I'd find myself saying thank God for Drudge. The infamous US blogger has broken the best kept editorial secret of recent times. Editors have been sworn to secrecy over Prince Harry being sent to fight in Afghanistan three months ago. "

Editors have been sworn to secrecy over Prince Harry being sent to fight in Afghanistan three months ago.

Drudge has blown their cover. One wonders whether viewers, readers and listeners will ever want to trust media bosses again. Or perhaps this was a courageous editorial decision to protect this fine young man?[QUOTE]

Two's in
29th Feb 2008, 00:11
Not that you care, but the Drudge website is simply a refuge for right wing, white trash, xenophobic rednecks pretending to be civilized conservatives. There's nothing editorially "courageous" about being a mental pygmy fighting for web hits by releasing confidential information. Tossers.

Tigs2
29th Feb 2008, 01:28
Well done the British media for keeping this quiet for so long. Incidentally on ARRSE for some time there has been a total ban on any discussion/mention whatsoever to do with the military lives of both Princes. Perhaps on this forum we ought to do the same, perhaps self imposed. I doubt whether anybody here (even if it had been in some media rag) would appreciate their callsign being banded about by your mil colleagues on an open forum whilst you are still in the sandpit. Journos (though in this case not the Brits:D) are expected to print this stuff, but I think you would expect more from your comrades in arms.They are part of our fraternity for goodness sake. Think how you would feel. We all agree that the 'boy done good', I just do not believe that what they do in an Op environment is an appropriate topic of discussion for a Mil forum by Mil people. Just my twopenny worth. Hope the boy stays safe now. Out!

Mobile Muppet
29th Feb 2008, 01:50
What more can i say after seeing our harry in the field. I hope that our lords and masters let him carry on (although I doubt it now) and prove himself as a solider and a man.

Well done Harry

Mactlsm1
29th Feb 2008, 02:12
Hoo-rah!!!!!!!!!!!
Nicely done.

Mac

West Coast
29th Feb 2008, 04:12
Jacko
Did you of know his presence in Afghanistan prior to it becoming public knowledge?

Sunfish
29th Feb 2008, 05:08
Archimedes:

I doubt that the Taleban's IT kit allows access to that sort of thing (instant execution, I'd imagine, for being found on that site).

I think this is an unsupported and very dangerous assumption that has not been born out by facts at all, at least in the case of Al Qaeeda.

I therefore suggest that any further speculation as to his past, present or future activities by half knowledgeable people, and I mean ANY, is highly unwise. Zip lip.

ORAC
29th Feb 2008, 06:32
Matt in the Torygraph. :D:D;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2008/02/29/matt.gif

Wiley
29th Feb 2008, 08:10
Can somebody please please "out" the journalist who broke the story. I'd like to see him ostracised for the foreseeable future"Journalist" is not a tag that most Australians would apply to someone on the staff of the truly lamentable 'New Idea', which many years ago was a half way reputable women's magazine.

Over the last decade or so, it has descended to a level not much above the sort of pulp "press" you see in American supermarket checkout lines. Can someone confirm or deny that Rupert (or shoukld that be "sons of Rupert" these days?) is the owner?

GPMG
29th Feb 2008, 08:19
I fully agree with Tigs2 on this we should have a black out on assumtions and news of what any member of royalty does when they are operational.

Any kind of conjecture from people who actually know the score or who have previous knowledge, may give even a small amount of intel to the 'toerags'.

We wouldn't talk about specific soldiers whereabouts or discuss what they specificly are doing in theatre so it shouldn't change for Prince Harry.

He should be treated as Cornet Wales and thats it (Bloody stupid name for a rank IMO).

Thank god that someone in the MOD saw the sense of sending a man that has trained to be a Cavalry officer to do his job.

Ghostflyer
29th Feb 2008, 08:29
GPMG,

Are you sure you should be blowing his trumpet:}

Well done to everyone sausage side!

Vox Populi
29th Feb 2008, 08:33
On a point of information, my understanding is that this was not a D Notice. It was a one off agreement hammered out via the Editors' organisations. The UK media adhered to it as did all of the European press that learned of it.

Drudge brands himself as a citizen journalist - the sort of reporting that appears on this website, so when you lambast 'journos' consider yourself one, if you have ever posted a 'rumour' on PPRUNE.

On a smaller scale journalists regularly adhere to restrictions on what they divulge not just with the armed forces, but with police investigations etc. Not just most, but the vast vast majority of UK journos are highly responsible when it comes to such requests in my experience. Believe or not. (Not, I suspect).

VP.

Jumping_Jack
29th Feb 2008, 08:57
Shame Harry was pictured in a baseball cap sporting the Stars & Stripes.....surely one with the Union Flag could have been found!! :ugh:

Ivan Rogov
29th Feb 2008, 08:57
Rather than keeping a lid on these sort of deployments, why not play dirty? If reports and sightings surfaced every day of Harry in different places with different units, and most were just set up or just spoof posts and stories then maybe the bad guys and press would get information overload and waste lots of time and effort for nothing, they would realise they were being taken for a ride and loose interest.

In fact we could even help, I've just seen him down the Naafi in St Mawgan, or was it Marham? :E

Good to see he got a chance to do his job BTW :ok: and well done to the UK Press for a change.

harrogate
29th Feb 2008, 09:12
Keep it up journos. Maybe you should be writing comedy, you would make a fortune. I would say that I have spilled coffee all over my keyboard, but that is just ridiculous as my keyboard would has stopped working.

Good job you're not a journo. It's clear you're not good enough. Despite forever picking people up on their spelling, you still f*cked that post up, even after editing it.

Go back to cleaning aeroplanes. Moron.

Back to the thread...

I'm just waiting for the inevitable 'how much has all this cost?' fallout in the daily rags. The various news stories mention the 'extensive planning', so you can bet your arse that questions will be asked about the cost and justification for the sake of one man.

Epimetheus
29th Feb 2008, 09:18
Unless I blinked, nowhere in the BBC interview was he asked the normal wet journo questions about equipment status, alleged shortages etc.

If he had had a reply, would it have been given more weight than others, previously asked the same?

harrogate
29th Feb 2008, 09:27
If he had had a reply, would it have been given more weight than others, previously asked the same?

Was thinking about that myself.

Interesting question. I fear that even though interviews with him sometimes come across as very open and casual, I feel sure there is the usual question vetting prior to interviews. Lots of editing afterwards too.

Get him live on camera and ask away!

I understand that a news documentary team has been close to him all along and that they're putting together a show to be broadcast after he's returned, so maybe there'll be some juicy detail in that.

Don't hold your breath, though.

airborne_artist
29th Feb 2008, 09:31
And he's now being withdrawn from Afg., the MoD has confirmed. My guess is that he's just had the best ten weeks of his life - no paparazzi, no interference, just getting on and working hard.

Ivan Rogov
29th Feb 2008, 09:39
Looks like the Taliban's Int is as good as ours, first they miss Ross Kemp and now Harry.
Bosses prayers this morning in the Briefing Cave;
OBL - Morning chaps, so what's the latest on the infadels?
Ali IntO - Salam alikum Boss, we believe HRH Harry may have arrived in Afghanistan
OBL - Mmmm :rolleyes:

TalkTorqueTorc
29th Feb 2008, 11:12
It's rather strange that the closest he'll ever get to 'normal' is on the front line in Afgahnistan.

Good on him as well.

comes across well on camera, just another junior officer trying to do his duty.

GPMG
29th Feb 2008, 11:13
All I can say is FFS!

Very dissapointed for the bloke.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7270743.stm

Prince Harry is to be withdrawn from Afghanistan after news broke of him serving there on the front line.

C130 Techie
29th Feb 2008, 13:21
Disappointing for him and his compatriots but inevitable I suppose to ensure the ongoing safety of everyone concerned.

It would be nice if just once one of these low life journos were to consider the consequences of their actions ahead of thinking of lining their pockets.

Of course hell will freeze over first.

Archimedes
29th Feb 2008, 13:27
Sunfish,

wrt my post, the bit about the Taleban's IT kit was meant as banter. For reasons best not gone into here, I know that assuming any technological ineptitude on the opposition's part is dangerous...

Evanelpus
29th Feb 2008, 14:19
Shame Harry was pictured in a baseball cap sporting the Stars & Stripes.....

Bloody good job he was otherwise he would have stuck out like a Swan Vesta!!

Joking aside, fair play to the guy, he said he wanted to serve with the rest of the troops and now he has done it.

Hats off to you Sir.

advocatusDIABOLI
29th Feb 2008, 15:06
Well, from my perspective, this has actually been well handled. He went, he served, the media understood / played ball and now he needs to come home. Well done to him, and also to all those around that made this happen. :D

Shame on the narrow minded, ill informed media idiot who broke this story.

Finally, well done and regards to everyone out there and in the other 'opportunity locations' available! My (next) turn late summer........

Keep Safe.

Advo

timzsta
29th Feb 2008, 16:57
"Came across well on camera. Just a Junior Officer doing his duty".

No doubt the Top Brass will beat that out of him when he returns.

The guy has spent the last decade being harrassed by the press because he is Princess Diana's son. He finally manages to get away from them but oh no, they cant leave him alone. Somebody somewhere has to break the story.

So how did the "Drudge" or whatever he is known as get know about Harry being in Afghanistan in the first place. I am sure he wasn't high up on the MoD list of people they informed?

Alas the press run the world now. They control the agenda and will print and show anything of their choosing at the the time of their choosing. It's in the public interest you know...

henry crun
29th Feb 2008, 17:37
timzsta: I have read that it was an Australian womans magazine who first published the story in January.

aviate1138
29th Feb 2008, 18:14
Channel 4 News Jon Snow [A WW1 General's Grandson] said....

"I never thought I'd find myself saying thank God for Drudge. The infamous US blogger has broken the best kept editorial secret of recent times. Editors have been sworn to secrecy over Prince Harry being sent to fight in Afghanistan three months ago"

The man needs a smack IMHO

But then he is not in the "A" list of Newscasters anyway.

chiglet
29th Feb 2008, 20:03
Anybody see Question Time last night? That Mr Big Brother sycophantic Gallo[scottish region] :mad::mad::mad: "Respect" [my arr5e] Muppet Politico.Actually castigated the BBC and Press for respecting Harrys' privacy/security.....Cnut :mad:
watpiktch

andybangers
29th Feb 2008, 20:18
Worked to him a couple of times my self. The boy done good!!:D

StbdD
1st Mar 2008, 00:21
Neither the German magazine Bild nor the Druge Report website broke this story. It was broken over a month ago by the Oz women's magazine New Idea.

New idea published stories on Jan 7;
"Prince Harry has joined his regiment on a covert mission to Afghanistan and his unit has already seen frontline action"

As well as on Jan 15th 'Prince Harry: War Lord', and Feb 14th 'Prince Harry Goes to War in Afghanistan'.

Interesting that the New Idea and Bild stories had no effect on the UK press but the Drudge Report sent them to general quarters in a storm of finger pointing at the nefarious Drudge. Of course they lost their exclusive on the story so that could explain the reaction.

That reaction of course moved it from a backpage story on a couple of relatively low readership outlets to banner headlines around the world. An impartial observer might even conclude that the UK press did the real damage here by making a mountain out of a molehill to salve their pride and salvage a story out of it.

In any case, I can't see how any of the accused publishers can be blamed for violating a UK media only press embargo. They are all based in countries with a free press and were not consulted about any such embargo.

Whizzwheel
1st Mar 2008, 02:26
On behalf of the greedy, self-centred, ignorant morons that made the decision to break the story in Australia, I humbly apologise. As a serving member, it drives me to distraction that these idiots think that their actions won't somehow lead to an undesirable effect...all in the name of gossip. The news is all over the Oz papers this morning - some of which are slamming their low-brow mongoloid cousins...even had a quick look at the new idea website, expecting either an apology or overt gloating, but nothing. No doubt someone is basking in the glory and free publicity ('oh look dahling...100000 hits on the website, how brilliat!'), without the concept of social responsibility or integrity clouding their rediculous life. Well done...but what do you expect from these urchins?

Hope they'll at least print an apology to HM armed forces, Harry and his boys....yeah right.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

busdriver02
1st Mar 2008, 04:08
If it's same as the one I've got, and it looks like it is; it's a fund raiser for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

Been Accounting
1st Mar 2008, 06:54
A long time ago on Radio Four there was a programme about the experiences of Anthony Smith (BBC producer) in the RAF at the end of WW2. He went from being selected for pilot training to suddenly (at the end of hostilities) being sent to work as a clerk in the postings office (not the post office). To avoid boredom he and his mates came up with a scheme where they would post people with similar physical characteristics to the same base. They started by sending people with missing digits to the same base but quickly moved to selecting people with GINGER hair for the same base. (The plan moved on with an idea to send people over 6ft and under 5ft to the base with the largest parade ground in the RAF. Remember - "Tallest on the left... shortest on the right").

Without being erythrophobic would it be possible for the British Army to do something similar to camouflage Harry? A regiment of Ginger tanks!

Joking aside - I don't think the press should report on any individual movements in the field and giving away callsigns might not be a good idea either.

Well done HRH - get home, have a bath and get back out there

Low Flier
1st Mar 2008, 07:18
http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2008/03/01/matt.gif

Dan D'air
1st Mar 2008, 07:25
Looks like the Taliban's Int is as good as ours, first they miss Ross Kemp and now Harry.

One (probably unintentional) side-effect of the Ross Kemp series is that it has done wonders in highlighting just how grim a tour in Afghanistan actually is. There is a perception amongst the civvies I have spoken to that it is just a bunch of ragheads taking potshots at HMF when the reality couldn't be further from the truth.

Quite ironic really then, that anti-monarchist Murdoch has unwittingly provided a platform for the general public to understand what Prince Harry (not forgetting everyone else!!) has been going through. Well done to the guy, he came across as professional, dedicated and decent. It's a shame that he couldn't have finished his tour with the rest of his unit, but at the very least he can hold his head up high.

GPMG
1st Mar 2008, 08:24
Harry said he was enjoying being in Afghanistan, away from the British media.
Speaking before his withdrawal from Helmand province, the third-in-line to the throne said he would relish another front-line posting.
"It's something I would love to do," he said. "I don't want to sit around Windsor, because I generally don't like England that much and it's nice to be away from all the press and the papers."

Hmm I wonder why that is? Don't blame him one bit for not liking the country seeing as his every move is spied upon.

Shame he can't emmigrate into anonymity.

Gainesy
1st Mar 2008, 09:05
Matt in today's Telegraph.:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/Gainesy/matt.gif

timzsta
1st Mar 2008, 09:10
Would p**s myself if he diverts to Lossie.

BEagle
1st Mar 2008, 09:13
"I don't want to sit around Windsor, because I generally don't like England that much and it's nice to be away from all the press and the papers."

What an astonishing comment to be made by an heir to the throne of England.

Sorry, Harry, you did an excellent job by going to Afghanistan and fighting for your country. But you have a responsibility of office to uphold - and to state your dislike for your country in such a public way is unacceptable.

I hope you were merely mis-reported.

TMJ
1st Mar 2008, 09:16
Without meaning disrespect to New Idea, I somehow doubt an Aussie women's mag is on too many people's media watch list, least of all the Taliban's. Equally, I doubt too many of its readers were on the hotline to the Hindu Kush when they saw the story and, according to Wikipedia, the magazine pulled the story from their website when they realised it wan't meant for public eyes. The Palace and MoD were doubtless aware of the publication and assessed the risk as being acceptable; they may even have thought that a single uncorroborated media story may have served, if it reached them at all, to confuse the Taliban's int people. Der Berliner Kurier, as a news source in a major European capital, probably set alarm bells ringing, but Drudge surely is on every major media outlet in the world's watch list, as well as the watchlist of anyone with an interest in embarrassing the US administration like, for example, the Taliban. There was no way of keeping a lid on the story thereafter, so the recall (for which I imagine a plan w\as always in place) was activated.

Intterestingly, in researching this reply I learnt that the Berliner Kurier is owned by a british investment company founded by a former CEO of Mirror Group and editor of the Sun, NotW and Today, although the Graun reported that there is marked hostility from der Berliner Zeitung's staff (a paper in the same stable as ter Kurier, bought at the same time) towards its owners.

VinRouge
1st Mar 2008, 11:56
Re the comment about england, he was commenting on the media intrusion he has to put up with in the UK. Think if you watch the whole article it came across as "I would rather be out here than back in the UK with a camera poked in my face every time I want to go out and get tipsy"

indie cent
1st Mar 2008, 12:06
Sky news has just shown a clip with the Prince of Wales commenting on Harry’s deployment and the armed forces in general.

(I’m sure the link will be posted shortly…)

Just like to say that it is a fine example of articulate and generous praise. Some of our clueless politicians could do with listening to someone who clearly understands what this is all about. Take lessons Gordo, Swiss et al.

The Royal Family weather their fair share criticism, yet give so much to our Nation. The boys and their dad are doing us proud IMHO.
:D

Romeo Oscar Golf
1st Mar 2008, 13:04
Agreed Indie and bbc, but of course none of our politicians have a clue about service to the Queen and Country, let alone a basic simpleton's knowledge of our Armed Forces, and they do not have family who serve who may be able to educate them. Or am I misinformed?:hmm:

Lurking123
1st Mar 2008, 13:38
I hope the irony will not be lost.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7272834.stm

sitigeltfel
1st Mar 2008, 14:15
What an astonishing comment to be made by an heir to the throne of England.

Sorry, Harry, you did an excellent job by going to Afghanistan and fighting for your country. But you have a responsibility of office to uphold - and to state your dislike for your country in such a public way is unacceptable.

I hope you were merely mis-reported.

Not mis-reported, but under-reported, possibly to save some blushes from Gran.

The full text was;
"But I generally don't like England that much and, you know, it's nice to be away from all the press and the papers and all the general ****e that they write."

knowitall
1st Mar 2008, 14:16
"Sorry, Harry, you did an excellent job by going to Afghanistan and fighting for your country. But you have a responsibility of office to uphold - and to state your dislike for your country in such a public way is unacceptable."

I dont know about you but if i had Jurno's shoving Camera's in my face everytime i went down the pub, i'd be pretty pissed of with this Country as well

Daytona2
1st Mar 2008, 14:20
New Idea is the third largest magazine is Aus.

Much as their public relations people might like it at the moment, it's misleading to portray it as some minor womens magazine.

Robyn Foyster is Editor-in-Chief, Phil Dampier is their Royal editor. Dampier has made quite a bit of money from the Royals over the years via news syndication and books.

As regards praise for the UK press, I don't think it is warranted given that they would have revealed details had they not been allowed access to Harry. It was a tawdry deal, struck in the best traditions of the press.

Daytona2
1st Mar 2008, 14:51
Five months of wrangling over whether to sacrifice someones safety is obscene.

Evil scum (as are the readers who want these stories).

Perhaps next time our soldiers take some journo's out on patrol, they can deal with them in the appropriate manner.

Clockwork Mouse
1st Mar 2008, 14:55
I like and admire the lad, but I feel so sorry for him. He was doomed from birth. He clearly loves soldiering, is good at it and it keeps him out of the way of the media's lenses for at least some of the time.

I fear that this incident may be the beginning of the end for him. If he can't deploy with troops, there's no way he will want to stay in the Army, and once outside the Forces what on earth will he reasonably be able to do which will allow him to feel comfortable with himself and fulfilled? I see tragedy in the long term unless the public and it's press wind their prurient bl**dy necks in and allow him to get on with his life. And with the likes of Jon Snow around, there's no way that is going to happen. Tragic.

Mick Smith
1st Mar 2008, 18:59
Five months of wrangling over whether to sacrifice someones safety is obscene.

Evil scum (as are the readers who want these stories).

Perhaps next time our soldiers take some journo's out on patrol, they can deal with them in the appropriate manner.

That is, I'm glad to say, a complete misrepresentation of the facts. As someone who took an active part in the process, I can tell you that the media were on board after the first meeting, albeit highly sceptical that it might work. The five months were the period between the initial meeting and the actual moment he deployed. The negotiations were largely how the media embeds would be managed, not over the principle, and therefore actually had more to do with ensuring that TV and the tabloids played fair with the other sections of the media.

The media very frequently keep material out of the public domain if it might lead to loss of life. This was simply unusual in the way it was organised en masse. I have to say that at the first meeting I thought Dannatt was hopelessly naive and that it would be days before mobile phone video of Harry got back to the UK and someone tried to sell it to a tabloid or some foreign journalist spotted him and reported it.

The media don't need thanking for keeping quiet - although given the accusations of allowing ourselves to be censored, it is clearly a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. The people who should take the credit are Dannatt and, for once, the MoD press machine who between them seem to have pulled off something I personally thought would never work.

parabellum
1st Mar 2008, 21:45
TMJ - The Oz magazine printed the story at the beginning of January, largely unnoticed, it would seem. The damage was done by an American website called the Drudge Report, very widely read and not at all apologetic.

Brian Abraham
2nd Mar 2008, 04:12
I’ll live in Africa if they don’t let me fight again, says Prince who 'doesn't like England'

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=523817&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

Some good to follow from his service.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=523772&in_page_id=1770

Should the 'New Idea' be renamed 'No Idea'?

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Mar 2008, 05:07
Africa? Plenty of fighting in this neck of the woods if that's the way he wants it.:uhoh:

bwfg3
2nd Mar 2008, 06:34
Get yer bloody haircut son!!!

Or do the posher regiments allow hippy style bouffonts??

beerdrinker
2nd Mar 2008, 06:51
BWFG3,

What a stupid comment. Where the hell do you think he and the rest of the lads returning directly to the UK from up country in the Gan, having spent weeks there, can find a branch of Trumpers?

bwfg3
2nd Mar 2008, 09:22
Maybe an excuse for the short term, but he's looked like he's needed a good trim for at least 18 months, or are there no barbers in WC 1 either?:rolleyes:

Beatriz Fontana
2nd Mar 2008, 09:31
CDS has just been on Sky News. Cracking interview with Adam Boulton.

What was funnier, however, was Adam Boulton's interview with Hazel Blears straight afterwards in which he went on the offensive challenging how the government makes grand statements supporting the Armed Forces, yet don't come up with the funding.

Hopefully Sky will do the good thing and put in on their website later.

MarkD
2nd Mar 2008, 19:45
here's what he needs - a doppelganger. A chap that looks more or less like him to troll the social scene around the world and get in the glossy mags while he himself heads off to Kosovo or wherever (although hopefully FACs won't be needed much there!)

After all - now if a couple of weeks go by without Harry being in the papers people will start poking around to see where he might be deployed. The current tactic is really a 1-use-only and would have been even without the Australians given that the MoD plainly were ready to release the press hounds once he was back given the volume of copy the Torygraph and others had stockpiled.

fromTheShadows
2nd Mar 2008, 20:26
This bloke looks a lot like him, and he has the added bonus of military experience... :p

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38672000/jpg/_38672861_hewitt300.jpg

John Eacott
3rd Mar 2008, 11:22
All the song and dance about which media broke the story: Channel Nine Australia ran "The Royal Family" on 25th February showing HM and her weekly meeting with Brown, making direct reference to Harry in Afghanistan. Probably recorded sometime in December 2007, from the time line of the episode.

Not a peep from anyone, especially whoever approved the stuff to go to air. First credit in the closer: "With the approval of Her Majesty" :rolleyes:

noregrets
3rd Mar 2008, 11:48
fromtheshadows, I really don't like where your thought processes are going! :uhoh:

Orf to the Tower with you.

sitigeltfel
3rd Mar 2008, 12:00
BWFG3,

What a stupid comment. Where the hell do you think he and the rest of the lads returning directly to the UK from up country in the Gan, having spent weeks there, can find a branch of Trumpers?

Seconded.

Had the same comments thrown at me after returning from a two year tour in in NI during the 70s. We were allowed a little leeway with hair length and the F/Sgt in the guardroom at my new posting was not amused by my shaggy appearance. I had just come off the overnight ferry, had endured an awful train journey and was in no mood for his snide remarks. My reply to him ensured I had made an enemy for a year or so until he was posted.
Still, at that time I was the only person on base entitled to wear the GSM.:p

GPMG
3rd Mar 2008, 12:33
havn't worked out the way to maintain the safety of th etroops cause this is just a daft idea anyway but here goes.

Why not spread the rumour that harry and William are in Afganistan fighting the war and their respective girlfriends are out there topping up their suntans as well.

The place will be flooded with all of the useless journo's and paparrazi that care about this kind of tosh and the Taliban can have a swell couple of weeks capturing them and cutting their heads off.

Meanwhile the forces out there can monitor the increased enemy activity and should be able to pick a few more off.

Win wins all round.

brakedwell
3rd Mar 2008, 16:30
F/O Wales was waiting at BZN to meet his brother. Has William completed his wings course?

airborne_artist
3rd Mar 2008, 16:39
F/O Wales was waiting at BZN to meet his brother. Has William completed his wings course?

ISTR he's got a couple more months yet with the Light Blue.

A2QFI
3rd Mar 2008, 19:06
Photograph within the article linked here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/02/nharry102.xml

Wiley
4th Mar 2008, 03:58
I really like GPMG's suggestion.

Brian Abraham
4th Mar 2008, 04:16
The place will be flooded with all of the useless journo's and paparrazi

If Vietnam was anything to go by they wouldn't venture beyond the confines of the most comfortable hostelery to be found. A few notable exceptions of course who did great work.

MarkD
5th Mar 2008, 19:25
maybe some smart cookie in the Navy could post Wills to a ship which the beancounters have decreed be tied up in port for lack of dosh...

ORAC
9th Mar 2008, 10:05
Wouldn't like to be the squaddie concerned when his name gets out.....

Grauniad:
Army probes tabloid leak over Harry (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/mar/09/military.monarchy)

Military chiefs are investigating a soldier who tried to cash in on Prince Harry's secret frontline posting to Afghanistan by blowing his cover during the agreed news blackout .

The inquiry centres on photographs of Harry witnessing the beheading of a live goat during Christmas Day celebrations with the Gurkhas just 10 days after his arrival in the southern province of Helmand. They were offered to a tabloid newspaper in defiance of strict orders to all serving personnel who knew of his posting that it was imperative the information be kept highly confidential.

If found to be involved, the squaddie - who is not believed to be a Gurkha - could face disciplinary action. Army bosses would view it as a serious offence because of the increased risk of attacks on British troops once the Taliban discovered the prince's presence.

The extraordinary pictures were taken at Forward Operating Base (Fob) Delhi, the remote outpost where Harry was serving as part of Battlegroup South just 500 metres from the Taliban. They show the prince filming on his mobile phone as the goat, which was later curried for Christmas lunch, was beheaded by his platoon commander, Lieutenant Moran, who used a traditional kukri knife to dispatch the animal. He was accorded the 'honour' after Harry declined it.

The soldier then approached the Sun newspaper, telling it: 'Harry was asked if he fancied cutting the head off, but he declined and the honour went to his platoon commander. It was pretty horrific to watch, but that is the way things are done out here. There are no takeaways, so animals are slaughtered by hand.'

The Sun, however, bound by the agreement between the Ministry of Defence and the media, is understood to have alerted senior MoD officials. The paper did not publish the photographs until after news of Harry's 10-week deployment emerged on the controversial US website, the Drudge Report.

Once the details were public knowledge, army chiefs immediately cut short Harry's planned three-month posting, and flew him home. Last night an MoD spokesman said: 'We can confirm there is an investigation under way.' He declined to give further details.......

Crromwellman
12th Mar 2008, 18:02
Begs a question.
Will Squadrons who were directed by Widow 67 now be entitled to have their aircraft emblazoned with "By Appointmewnt to HRH Prince Harry, purveyors of airborne ordnance to Her Majesty,s enemies"

davejb
12th Mar 2008, 18:08
Never mind all that, who's this guy Harry Keen?
Everywhere you look these days papers are saying the bloke is off to Afghanistan, and I've never heard of him before....

SilsoeSid
12th Mar 2008, 18:32
CrromwellmanBegs a question.
Will Squadrons who were directed by Widow 67 now be entitled to have their aircraft emblazoned with "By Appointmewnt to HRH Prince Harry, purveyors of airborne ordnance to Her Majesty,s enemies"

No, because he is not in a entitled to grant a Royal Warrant!
In addition the services have to have been provided for at least 5 years to either The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh or The Prince of Wales !

I would suggest that the UK Squadrons wouldn't want a warrrant anyway, as the aircraft have already been commisioned into service.
In my day, a commision was higher than a Warrant ;)