PDA

View Full Version : Jobs...

dave_perry
28th Feb 2008, 16:38
Hi there gents and ladies,

I have recently been to selection for pilot in the Royal Air Force only to find that my legs are 14mm too long :ugh: to fit in the cockpit. I am currently now looking into the Navy and there policy on height limits. Concerning airline and commercial flying however, could anybody tell me where to go and how about apply for pilot with those. I understand it as you need an ATPL to apply, is that correct? Could anybody point me in the right direction as to where to go from here? :confused:

Cheers

Dave

99jolegg
28th Feb 2008, 16:52
Very broad question so can't be specific with the answer but a choice of the two can be made:

Integrated Training - Flight schools that train you ab initio to having a CPL / IR and MCC i.e. frozen ATPL. The ATPL theory exams will be taught by the same institution. You are then eligible to apply to any airlines seeking low houred cadets. This option can be very expensive, £60,000 to £75,000 isn't abnormal. Integrated training is usually full time.

Modular Training - Choose the FTO you want to do the first part (PPL) of your training at. You can do this part time whilst working and earning money to fund your training. You can then choose to do your CPL / IR at a later date with another school if you wish. This option is cheaper because you are buying each component so there is less room for the added value that FTOs like to lump on top. This option also leaves you open to doing various parts abroad where costs are greatly reduced.

There are various FTOs offering integrated training and your local schools will offer the PPL / Night Rating etc.

Wondering whether you should choose integrated or modular? Have a browse through this:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218620

Modular and Integrated training (and subsequent licenses and exams) are the two 'civilian' routes of getting to the airlines.

gmac1977
28th Feb 2008, 17:55
Modular is advisable unless you have an endless supply of cash!

CATS ( www.cranfieldaviation.com (http://www.cranfieldaviation.com) ) at Cranfield Airport do Airline Pilot stage 1. Its a PPL(A) and the ATPL theory for £6500.

;)