PDA

View Full Version : FAA add on

bullshitproof
28th Feb 2008, 16:02
Can some one please explain what (if any) privileges their are to haveing a PPL faa licence added on to an English one. thank you.

Bravo73
28th Feb 2008, 16:30
You can't 'add' an FAA licence to a JAA (ie UK/English) licence. The FAA and JAA are independent 'issuing authorities'.

You can, however, hold FAA and JAA licences at the same time.

HTH

206 jock
28th Feb 2008, 18:19
Err, yes you can, sort of. It's the piggyback licence and effectively allows you to exercise the privileges of the FAA licence as long as you maintain your JAA licence (or CAA, as in my case).

Benefit? You can fly in the USA. If you fly an N-reg machine, you can fly in Europe (you can fly your n-reg heli in the UK on your European licence, but only in the country of issue). There may be others, but that's a start. The only cost is £39 to our lovely CAA to provide a form that discloses what qualifications you have and a trip to an FSDO in the USA (I used Los Angelese while I was passing through. No charge from the FAA.

bullshitproof
29th Feb 2008, 09:18
Thanks for that 206 Jock ,I got myself one of these FAA add on`s last year I paid the caa fee as you say £39 pounds or so to forward my licence entitlements to the Faa then I paid an FAA Flight examiner over in the states another $200 for my Ticket "ER" looks like I was had over for that fee from what you say.

As I read the licence, all I need to convert onto another type now as long as it is on an N registar is a check ride with a pilot current on that type right ! ! or Wrong ! ! or has that type got to be on my uk licence ! !.