PDA

View Full Version : I'm 161 cms tall, can I fly a 747?

ludovico
28th Feb 2008, 05:45
Hi everyone!
I was looking at the Lufthansa carrer website and one of the requirements is to be taller than 165 cms, I'm 161 cms and I would like to know why LH require this. I've seen the requirements for many other airlines and they don't ask for a specific body height, for example Cargolux (which I'm very interested to join right now). The only reason which pops into my mind is that someone below this measurements couldn't reach the overhead panel of an aircraft, or is it merely a question of the appearance and image of LH pilots? (would be sad if this is true). So, could I fly a 747 being 161 cms tall?

Thanks in advance!!!
ludovico

australiancalou
28th Feb 2008, 07:01
Hi Ludovico there's a little Jumbo called Jumbolino (BAE146).
Would perfectly suits you even your nickname...:}:}:}
Sorry guy. Couldn't resist:ok:
Good luck for your search. If you want U can.
Not sure of the minimum size for the 747 but flew with a FO once.
Not sure she was above that size.
DDay Mate. My apologies.:);)

tom775257
28th Feb 2008, 08:20
I have never seen any reference in the manuals for the aircraft I fly for minimum height for pilots, the only requirement being to be able to reach all the controls etc. from basic controls to the overhead panel etc. I understand the 747 cockpit is quite small at the pointy end, like a 737 cockpit.

I guess they have just picked an arbitrary cut-off figure, I'm sure things like legs to body ratio, length of arms etc would effect the ability to fly certain aircraft. For example, I am taller than BAs maximum height, yet I have happily logged many hours on Cessna 150s.

mad_jock
28th Feb 2008, 15:16
Could it just be that lufty has the old style attitudes to who they employ.

ie no fat bastards, ulgly, to tall, too short, gingers, tatoos, birth marks etc.

The only thing I can think of for being to short is that if your torso isn't long enough you won't be able to get your eye line to the mark with the seat all the way up.

dhc1180
28th Feb 2008, 15:24
get a booster cushion

ludovico
28th Feb 2008, 18:52
Hi Ludovico there's a little Jumbo called Jumbolino (BAE146).
Would perfectly suits you even your nickname...:}:}:}

I wouldn't bother flying the Jumbolino at all dude!!!:}

Turkish777
28th Feb 2008, 21:14
How about if im all of them, a fat bastard, ulgly, to tall, too short, ginger, tatoos, birth marks etc...but im a really nice bloke ha :)

Sorry Ludovico, bloody childish I know.. :*

G SXTY
29th Feb 2008, 21:42
It shouldn't be a problem. I've never had the pleasure of flying a real 747, but I have had a go in a 747-200 sim and was very comfortable (I'm 1m60).

The flightdeck is indeed quite cosy, and you would have no problems reaching the overhead panel or getting in full rudder.

ludovico
1st Mar 2008, 01:07
It shouldn't be a problem. I've never had the pleasure of flying a real 747, but I have had a go in a 747-200 sim and was very comfortable (I'm 1m60).The flightdeck is indeed quite cosy, and you would have no problems reaching the overhead panel or getting in full rudder.

Thanks for the response G SXTY!!! this makes me feel quite more comfortable.

entra2departure
1st Mar 2008, 01:28
shouldnt be a problem....there are 150 cm tall skinny girls in my uni flying course wanting to become CX pilots.

MidgetBoy
1st Mar 2008, 01:51
150cm isn't tall... not even for asians..

BelArgUSA
1st Mar 2008, 03:11
Ok... For the 747, no problems with 161cm...
Of course, there are guys/girls with short legs, or long legs.
But if of average build, should be no problem.
xxx
I am 173cm, my wife was exactly same height, 173cm...
Yet when sitting next to me, she appeared 3 or 4cm shorter than me.
But I have short legs, she had long legs.
xxx
All seats are fully adjustable, up/down, forward and aft.
Many airlines have electrical power seat option adjustment.
Rudder pedals can be moved fore/aft.
xxx
Overhead panel, the F/O is in charge of moving a few switches in the RH/Low panel area.
Easy reach, even for a dwarf. The F/E is in charge of most "far above" switches and handles.
And the captain has his toys on his side and the center of the panel.
xxx
In the "old days" - flying old 707 or DC-8s, airlines where more concerned about "muscles".
With some hydraulic failures, you really needed muscles, more than worry about your height.
xxx
Well, you see, Ludovico, you did not listen to you mom and dad to eat your soup. Darn kids...!
Your only problem in 747, will be not to date a 180cm tall flight attendant.
Although my F/Os (who are captain's sexual advisers) assure me it does not matter in bed...
All the best to you, Shorty...
xxx
;)
Happy contrails

G SXTY
1st Mar 2008, 13:51
Nothing wrong with a short guy and a tall lady - just think about your eye level . . . :E